Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

uranus posted:

yeah i was not confident in my ability to live after poking into the center.
White can double atari Black at the border.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Finally managed to beat a 3 kyū in Automatch.

33.5% mortality

Xom fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 17, 2014

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Why do I feel that my game has gotton incredibly worse now that I've finished reading one book.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
Read a book, lose two stones.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

uranus posted:

yeah i was not confident in my ability to live after poking into the center.

i'm not going to be shy about this, I almost get an erection when I see the cut points in black's left hand side

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

Why do I feel that my game has gotton incredibly worse now that I've finished reading one book.

It's normal to have a downswing when you're trying to incorporate new concepts into your game. You're out of your comfort zone. You may also be trying to force those things to happen in spots that they shouldn't, like what you were doing with ko fights before.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

It's normal to have a downswing when you're trying to incorporate new concepts into your game. You're out of your comfort zone. You may also be trying to force those things to happen in spots that they shouldn't, like what you were doing with ko fights before.

After reading a book - "Oh, everything in there was easy to understand and made a lot of sense!

Now go and try to apply them in your own games and I'm met dumbfounded. I wonder how badly I'm going to mess up the first few chapters of Attack and Defense later.

Svartvit posted:

i'm not going to be shy about this, I almost get an erection when I see the cut points in black's left hand side

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Who's up for a lecture tomorrow (Tuesday)?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
im in!

also about those cut points yeah now i see where i can take a huge chunk of his stones in the lower left. oh well, at least not seeing it didnt lose me the game this time haha.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I'll try to stick around for the entire thing this time.

E: Do you have a topic? Can I suggest Attack and Defense since that's what I read yesterday and today I'm going to reread over the pages that I read?

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 18, 2014

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

I'll try to stick around for the entire thing this time.

E: Do you have a topic? Can I suggest Attack and Defense since that's what I read yesterday and today I'm going to reread over the pages that I read?

The problem with attack and defense is that it's a hard thing to discuss in the abstract. You really need to be looking at specific positions. But maybe instead of going over one game from start to finish I can find a few different positions from games (some of mine, some professional) and we can investigate several possible lines.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Alright, I've got two good, fairly simple positions we can look at to talk about attack & defense and then three other backups if we get through those and want to look at something else

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

That's cool; in the A&D book I looked at the last 20 problems and I got about 17 or so of them right. (Which really isn't that good because they're all simple A or B choices rather than a blank "Pick any intersection" one) As a random aside, the paper in the book though, I don't think this has ever been mentioned, is smooth as gently caress. I have never felt paper that has felt so good before. One of the only complaints I have in the printing though are when black stones are marked with triangles. They're just hardly visible and, sometimes, not visible at all!

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 19, 2014

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Are there any websites or resources on the Internet where I can type in the games I've played and their results so I can follow my progress? Cool generated graphs would be nice. Or do I have to use just Google Docs?

Kheldragar posted:

That's cool; in the A&D book I looked at the last 20 problems and I got about 17 or so of them right.

What book is this? I'm interested in printed resources as well since I don't want to sit on the computer all the time.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Rurik posted:

Are there any websites or resources on the Internet where I can type in the games I've played and their results so I can follow my progress? Cool generated graphs would be nice. Or do I have to use just Google Docs?

What book is this? I'm interested in printed resources as well since I don't want to sit on the computer all the time.

http://shop.gogameguru.com/attack-and-defense/

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Rurik posted:

If you play on kgs it records everything for you and makes a nice rank graph.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Rurik posted:

KGS has analytics: http://kgs.gosquares.net/

OGS is refactoring their code so that you can leverage the API, so expect to see some analytics in the future. I actually plan to make something myself that provides an analysis of your play style once this is ready.

Otherwise I think you'll have to go through your game history.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Hmm, I'm not impressed by those screenshots. Here's what I did when my games were split across accounts in a way that made it hard to tell how I was doing:

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

This is a pretty random question, but for those of you who are quite familiar with the game: I like the idea of Go, but as an amateur do you ever reach a point where you absolutely have to know your joseki? I ask because listening to interviews with pro players scares the heck out of me- most of them claim that memorizing ten to fifteen thousand joseki is the absolute minimum for an expert player.

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
At low dan level joseki are a comedy of errors. I think you'll have to take a certain amount of pleasure in learning some joseki variations and punishment to progress in the game. A disaster in every corner adds up to a lost game, and even a properly played but poorly chosen variation in a single corner can decide the result of a match. There is an incredibly large gap between an expert player and a beginner, and at any given level of ability a bit of extra joseki knowledge can help you progress further, but is not strictly necessary. New joseki are developed by professional players all the time, and the judgement of what constitutes joseki and what does not changes through the years as well.

If you can read well enough to get equal or better results than your opponents (whatever strength they may be) in corner situations, then you don't need to know any joseki at all. If your opponents know many joseki well and you have to read every move as if it were new, you'll probably find yourself at a disadvantage.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

The only joseki I know are just three of them for a 3-3 invasion (Standard 3-3, one after your opponet jumps into your corner after a onne space low pincer, and another one I forgot the name of where you [the invader] have a string of two stones horizontally, and a one space jump to two stones that descend from the third to the second line [I can't describe it better]), one of them for attaching when someone approaches your 3-4 high, magic sword, taisha, and avalanche.

I only use four of them and give few fucks about joseki otherwise. Also nice cloud/dragon avatar.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 19, 2014

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Thanks, that helps a lot :)

And weirdly enough, it's actually one 84-stroke kanji- it literally means "the appearance of a dragon in flight"

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
The joseki I know are the ones that are played often so I picked them up. That's basically the 4-4 kicking joseki, the normal 3-4 approach high attachment joseki, the standard calm 4-4 joseki and the 3-3 invasion after pincer joseki. I pick them up simply by seeing other play them so that's one way of learning.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Svartvit posted:

The joseki I know are the ones that are played often so I picked them up. That's basically the 4-4 kicking joseki, the normal 3-4 approach high attachment joseki, the standard calm 4-4 joseki and the 3-3 invasion after pincer joseki. I pick them up simply by seeing other play them so that's one way of learning.

The 4-4 kick and descent so you don't get hane'd is joseki!? :psyduck: Oh, and I played against a guy who had been playing for 3 weeks and thought he was a lot better than most are at 3 weeks.

http://online-go.com/game/505194

Omi no Kami posted:

Thanks, that helps a lot :)

And weirdly enough, it's actually one 84-stroke kanji- it literally means "the appearance of a dragon in flight"

And yet you're writing the same two characters x3 :v: Simple unless you want to get it into a certain, small area.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Kheldragar posted:

And yet you're writing the same two characters x3 :v: Simple unless you want to get it into a certain, small area.

When I first started learning kanji the days of the week were one of the things we covered on the first day. My teacher took a break on thursday to explain how by learning 木 you actually now knew three kanji, namely 木, 林, and 森. It didn't quite blow my mind but the efficiency impressed me, especially since it meant I only needed to learn 2,133 kanji, not 2136. XD

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Kheldragar posted:

The 4-4 kick and descent so you don't get hane'd is joseki!? :psyduck:
You mean this one?
http://www.josekipedia.com/#path:pdqfqepfre

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Up to move four, yes.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is there anything like a "common core" of joseki that everyone learns in sequence, or is it largely a matter of learning what suits your style from experience?

(unrelated: josekipedia is a *great* site, thank you for linking it!)

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
What rank are you? I got to 4-5k without ever really paying attention to joseki.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm pretty rubbish- haven't played in years, but I think I was 25 or 26kyu last time I was doing it regularly.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm pretty rubbish- haven't played in years, but I think I was 25 or 26kyu last time I was doing it regularly.

Play ten games, get to 20k.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Yeah it's a very western thing to get hung up on joseki, an idea which comes from the Japanese, who are themselves kind of hung up on it. If you go on Tygem you will see the koreans play the same ten sequences over and over - they just do not give a poo poo. Being able to read is much more important than knowing a set sequence, because even if you memorized a joseki and your opponent 'fucks up,' you won't have the skill to punish them, provided you even know what the punishment is. Sometimes the 'punishment' is too hard for someone lower than 4-5d to administer, and sometimes the 'punishment' is a minor disadvantage in the local context. If you took all the time you were going to spend on joseki and spend it on life and death, you'd be better off in the end.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Under 15 posted:

Yeah it's a very western thing to get hung up on joseki, an idea which comes from the Japanese, who are themselves kind of hung up on it. If you go on Tygem you will see the koreans play the same ten sequences over and over - they just do not give a poo poo.
Which ten? :kheldragar:

Whitefire
Oct 9, 2007

DEE DEEEEE
A month or so ago I watched a successful twitch broadcaster stream a Go lesson that he had with an experienced player(grandmaster if that is a thing). I've always been interested in Go but it wasn't until then that I saw the complexity of the game and started to think about the creative strategies, and how mentally exhausting a high level game of Go can be. As soon as I find more time in my schedule I plan to use thing thread to help me learn the game and get started, thanks for all your nerdy boardgame efforts.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
http://tinyurl.com/xomsguide

Xom fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 26, 2014

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Game's about even, but then I realise his top right corner can be killed and do so. He tries some bullshit invasion as soon as he realises this and that he's behind that works because we're all on 20 second overtime. I still feel like I won. :smug:

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Feb 20, 2014

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013

Uncle Jam posted:

What rank are you? I got to 4-5k without ever really paying attention to joseki.
That's about where I got, too. I think that's the point where joseki would start to help. I agree far too many people are far too fixated on them. I'm horrible at memorization but pretty good at shape and direction of play, and that served me well to a point.

However, I do feel that approaching shodan, knowing joseki is helpful, the way knowing basic reactions is helpful for beginners, and knowing shape is helpful for DDKs. It's an extension of all that, and the more joseki and variations you know, the grander your overall strategy and play can be. Rather than worry about each move in isolation, you go deeper.

But until then, I'd say a handful of basic invasion joseki are enough.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Put simply, Go is so combinatorially complex that you can't rely on memorizing a whole bunch of sequences as a strategy for winning games. This is a good thing. It is a game that requires you to do two things:

* Concentrate and read the possibilities
* Rely on your instinct and intuition if you are uncertain

Note that there's nothing there about memory recall. You simply play games, and playing games unconsciously sharpens your ability to read sequences and judge positions. Eventually, you'll want to start reading books and doing problem sets more seriously, but again there's nothing here about remembering heaps of info. It's about absorbing the principles. You can start worrying about memorization when you're 1d+ and if you've made it that far, trust me, you'll be the kind of person to enjoy it anyway.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Dear everyone,

We have an SA group ladder going on OGS

http://online-go.com/ladder/180/-/SA%2019x19%20Ladder

When you sign up, you can challenge other ladder members to a correspondence game. Let's see who is the strongest.

o.m. 94 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

All right, I applied to join the group. I put a no-ranked "anyone can join" game on OGS just now and got an actual 30k player; he had to go near the end, and I think I tried to barely explain to him "corners-sides-centre", "third and fourth line moves", "Do not attach to everything", "Attaching != attacking", "Attack from a distance" all at once. I'm not sure anything but the first was effective. :(

e: Provisional players cannot join ladders. gently caress you! :argh: