Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
You can always split the difference and get the Fuji XF1 for $200 new. It has the same sensor as the x10 with a form factor like the s100 but with a manual zoom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
That's cool. I wonder how easy/hard it is to use though in that form factor.

numtini
Feb 7, 2010

quote:

I wonder how easy/hard it is to use though in that form factor.

I picked an XF1 up two months ago when it hit $199 because I wanted something to stick in my purse. When you work a manual zoom on a DSLR (and I presume the X10/20), the camera is held with one hand, but it's also braced against your face. Holding it a foot or more away in one hand so you can see the screen, it's just too unstable. It becomes a game of adjust zoom, reframe, evaluate, adjust zoom, reframe, evaluate. You lose that ability to quickly frame a shot that makes the manual zoom valuable.

The lens is also the on/off switch which is awkward. The movie button is directly under where I want to put my thumb and doesn't require much pressure. I'm averaging 1 mystery movie for every four or five shots and from some other posts, I'm not the only one.

I wish I could warm to the camera. The guts of the camera are solid and it's truly beautiful. Well presuming you like retro and I do. I've even managed to take, for me, some decent pictures with it. So far though, it just feels unnatural in my hands and taking pictures with feels like a chore.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I picked up an used X100 last month and have finally gotten around to using it.

It's a scary good camera.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

One from my S90; click for more.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
Just throwing out there that the RX100(II) is awesome. While the user "experience" does not compare to a DSLR, the results can be pretty amazing and in good situations its certainly competitive to my 5D3 with L glass.
Of course, in less-than-optimal situations the more expensive stuff really shines, but it's also a lot more cumbersome.

Chernori
Jan 3, 2010
Hello everyone!

I've been using an Olympus TG-1 while travelling for about 15 months now and it's served me faithfully in some difficult terrain. I'm heading into less arduous shooting situations now and I've found myself being frustrated with my camera's limitations more and more often. I'm thinking of upgrading to another point and shoot: after reading the thread, I'm looking at the Canon S120 and the Sony RX100.

I know either of those cameras would resolve my irritation with the TG-1's lack of manual control (I'm getting tired of trying to trick the camera into using the aperture/speed I want), but I'm trying to understand the difference in image quality between the three cameras.

I feel like an idiot asking a question like this, but can someone tell me how a TG-1 would rank up against the S120 and the RX100? I understand that TG-1 < S120 < RX100, but I'd like a better idea of how much of performance difference between them (and whether it's worth paying more for an RX100 instead of the S120).

My girlfriend has an Olympus EPL3 (with the kit lens) that I've used a bit, so feel free to use that as another point of comparison.

Thanks in advance!

edit: fooling around with the DPReview comparison tool right now, hmmm:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100/12

Chernori fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 7, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I have the TG-1 myself and yeah if you want customization, you're far better suited with either of those other two. The TG-1 is a niche camera but it's a hell of a niche camera. I'd still hold onto it if you want something as a fun goof-around camera at the beach or in the snow or something. I took mine snorkeling in Barbuda last year and it was phenomenal. Very rare that you find a waterproof P&S with a good lens.

That all being said, both the S120 and RX100 will give you RAW support, and much more manual control. If you want a pocketable, customizable P&S, you're going to do great with either of those.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For my money the RX100 is a significant step up from the Canon S series. The S series can be found for very good prices used though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah the RX100 is crazy nice but it's a lot of money.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Is an RX100 iii likely to come out any time soon? I'm going to be picking up an RX100, or ii, but I'm not sure if the ii is worth the money. I'd never use the wifi sharing - I don't have a smartphone and I can't see the kind of wifi I get being good at sharing 20 megapixel pics too quickly.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
That's not how the wifi works. The camera creates a network that you join with your device/computer, and Sony's software pulls the images very quickly. It's nice in a pinch when you're on a vacation or something and don't have access to an SD card reader.

And yeah, the RX100 is a massive step up from my S90 at least. Don't know if it's worth the money, I guess it depends on what you are looking for in a camera. For me, it is comparable to a crop Canon EOS body with kit lens, but it's very much more convenient. I actually considered either the RX100 or a EOS100D with a 40mm pancake lens, but the RX100 is just so much smaller plus it's got that zoom thing going on.
In that perspective, the price is not THAT outrageous. (But there's no denying that it's a very expensive small camera)

Also, the RX100II has less noise at ISO100 than my 5DIII, when comparing RAW files.

Mathturbator fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Feb 8, 2014

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Walmart has the red Fujifilm XF1 (2/3" sensor 4X zoom) for 199, buy with Discover card on shopdiscover.com get another 10% off.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
If you're going to get the XF1, find/make/steal/buy a handgrip. Doesn't need to be fancy. Makes the handling way, way better.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Sad Panda posted:

Is an RX100 iii likely to come out any time soon? I'm going to be picking up an RX100, or ii, but I'm not sure if the ii is worth the money. I'd never use the wifi sharing - I don't have a smartphone and I can't see the kind of wifi I get being good at sharing 20 megapixel pics too quickly.
I don't know about soon, but I would expect them to put out a new version sometime in the next year. Sony tends to churn through products more quickly than other manufacturers, preferring that to releasing software updates for existing gear.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

whatever7 posted:

Walmart has the red Fujifilm XF1 (2/3" sensor 4X zoom) for 199, buy with Discover card on shopdiscover.com get another 10% off.

Amazon also has it for $199.

Chernori
Jan 3, 2010
A friend of mine who works at Canon said:

"Whatever you like, I would steer clear of the S100 despite the price. It's an older model and the quality isn't that great."

And instead recommended the Canon PowerShot SX series. He said he travelled with the SX150 and really liked it.

I was under the impression that super zoom cameras sacrificed quality in order to have the extra range. I read some reviews of the SX150 and I wasn't really that impressed. Am I missing something or is my friend crazy?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Chernori posted:

"Whatever you like, I would steer clear of the S100 despite the price. It's an older model and the quality isn't that great."

And instead recommended the Canon PowerShot SX series. He said he travelled with the SX150 and really liked it.

I was under the impression that super zoom cameras sacrificed quality in order to have the extra range. I read some reviews of the SX150 and I wasn't really that impressed. Am I missing something or is my friend crazy?

In general yes though there are some exceptions. Panasonic's TZ series and Canon's SX2xx series of travel zooms are quite good. I shot with a Canon SX220HS (same sensor as in the current SX270/280) and it's a surprisingly versatile camera. Even low-light performance was quite decent, I could push that camera up to 1600ISO in bad light and still get usable pictures.

The SX150 is a steaming pile of crap, though. It uses a standard CCD instead of the BSI CMOS sensors in the SX2xx series.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
W7's lastest official "Best P&S to buy for Dummies 2014"

$200 New XF1
$250 New S110
$300 New LF1
$350 New S120 (on ebay)
$400 New/refub RX100
$550 New RX100 Mark II
$800 New G1 X Mark II

No, don't buy other 30x zoom 50x zoom models.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I don't know anything about the under $300 cameras but I whole heartily agree with the rest.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

So where exactly can one get a RX100MII for $550? Even used ones are $600+

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

You mean you guys don't ever use the B&H 20% off coupon code?

Chernori
Jan 3, 2010
Thanks for the advice. I'll take his recommendations with a grain of salt from now on. I'm pretty sure I'm going to grab an RX100... just need to figure out from where to get it. There's a couple models on ebay right now: one is used with some cosmetic damage for $320 CAD (with 9h to go) and the other one is a floor model for $400 CAD (with 7h to go).

Is there any quality difference between RX100 M1 and RX100 MII? Or was it just more features added, like the slot on the top and the wireless ability?

edit -- just saw the answer to my question in the gear thread:

kefkafloyd posted:

RX100mk2 added:
Tilting screen.
Hot shoe (allows use of flashes, EVF)
Wired remote control via the multi (USB) port and Sony's newer remote commander
NFC/WiFi shooting
Better sensor with faster AF/better high ISO performance.

Chernori fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 17, 2014

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW
Wow, the XF1 advertising blurb on amazon sucks rear end. I didn't know it could do RAW until someone asked in the user comments.

Haggins posted:

You mean you guys don't ever use the B&H 20% off coupon code?

Release these insider trading tips, please.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tilty screen, hotshoe for flash, the wireless stuff, and an updated BSI sensor that gives it a bit better low light ability. For people who already own the first version (like me) I don't think there's much reason to upgrade. It's a bit more gray if you're buying new and probably comes down to how much you can afford more than anything.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
In terms of the RX chat: I found I almost only ever shot wide with the RX100, so I picked up a Ricoh GR and am super loving it. I keep the RX100 around because it does extremely good video, considering, and the GR doesn't.

That said, I really wish it had a tilty screen. Those are great for low down / high up shots.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

the night dad posted:

Release these insider trading tips, please.

I wish it were real :( it would save me $940 off my upcoming 6D and 24-70 2.8 order.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Finally getting into the P&S arena with a non-hand-me-down-- the Canon s110 is currently $199.97 (CAD) at my local Costco, and with that price and the 90-day return policy I figure I can't lose. As a rank amateur graduating from iPhone photography I'm a little concerned about ease of use and UI of modern "real" cameras in general, but I guess Canon is pretty good in that respect. I figure the touchscreen focus will keep it from being too frustrating to be functional, even if I'm a slow learner.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

Chernori posted:

The SX2** are really quite good. Almost the same form factor as the S100 and descendants, and a very versatile superzoom lens. That lens is pretty slow, though, and you don't have RAW. Image quality is really solid, and you can go fairly high ISO and get usable images. For a holiday camera, it's very close to perfect. You can also get a SX260 for like, 160 bucks if you look. I picked up a used one off ebay for 40!

The SX1** is only worth it if you NEED to run AA batteries. Otherwise, the camera is bigger and worse in terms of the pictures it produces.

Chernori
Jan 3, 2010

ma i married a tuna posted:

The SX2** are really quite good. Almost the same form factor as the S100 and descendants, and a very versatile superzoom lens. That lens is pretty slow, though, and you don't have RAW. Image quality is really solid, and you can go fairly high ISO and get usable images. For a holiday camera, it's very close to perfect. You can also get a SX260 for like, 160 bucks if you look. I picked up a used one off ebay for 40!

Thanks for the information. Wouldn't the slow lens mean it does a bad job in low light? I feel like I take more photos in dim places than I do trying to capture distant subjects.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Chernori posted:

Thanks for the information. Wouldn't the slow lens mean it does a bad job in low light? I feel like I take more photos in dim places than I do trying to capture distant subjects.

It's certainly a major part of the equation, but not the only one. The other is the ability for the camera to push high ISO levels and still get usable pictures. The SX2xx series is pretty capable in that regard.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

Kenny Logins posted:

Finally getting into the P&S arena with a non-hand-me-down-- the Canon s110 is currently $199.97 (CAD) at my local Costco, and with that price and the 90-day return policy I figure I can't lose. As a rank amateur graduating from iPhone photography I'm a little concerned about ease of use and UI of modern "real" cameras in general, but I guess Canon is pretty good in that respect. I figure the touchscreen focus will keep it from being too frustrating to be functional, even if I'm a slow learner.
Don't worry, it's a very nice camera. Spend the bucks to buy the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson and you've got everything you need.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Mathturbator posted:

Don't worry, it's a very nice camera. Spend the bucks to buy the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson and you've got everything you need.
Thanks for taking the time to make that recc. I will definitely check that book out. I'll need all the help I can get because although I'm a relatively quick learner in most things, for some reason all the camera jargon and physics and such just do not osmose properly with me. I think it's just that I need more practical experience to ground the theory.

Chernori
Jan 3, 2010

Mathturbator posted:

This might seem like a stupid question, but would it be worth purchasing the Kindle version of Understanding Exposure?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Chernori posted:

This might seem like a stupid question, but would it be worth purchasing the Kindle version of Understanding Exposure?

No, buy the dead tree version - it's got a ton of full-page pictures that aren't nearly as well displayed in the Kindle version.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
The colour pictures and diagrams help a lot. After reading that book you can shoot manual mode and try out all sorts of funky settings.

Also recommend a gorilla pod. It's not too big and you can stick on all sorts of places.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I just bought a couple photography books on my iPad kindle app and it's kind of janky with the photo layout. I don't like buying physical books but I probably won't buy anymore digital photo technique books.

Chernori
Jan 3, 2010

Arcsech posted:

No, buy the dead tree version - it's got a ton of full-page pictures that aren't nearly as well displayed in the Kindle version.

I suspected as much. I really want to read it, but the thought of carrying a hefty book around while travelling is not attractive... I just got rid of the India Lonely Planet after hauling it around for months.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Haggins posted:

I just bought a couple photography books on my iPad kindle app and it's kind of janky with the photo layout. I don't like buying physical books but I probably won't buy anymore digital photo technique books.

If you just have a P&S, you can't do anything about aperture control anyway. Just read the composition part of the book.

IMO shooting 3000 photos is better than reading a photography book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

whatever7 posted:

If you just have a P&S, you can't do anything about aperture control anyway. Just read the composition part of the book.

IMO shooting 3000 photos is better than reading a photography book.

If by "aperture control" you mean being able to change the aperture, lots of P&S cameras do that. The S100+ all have aperture priority and manual mode.

• Locked thread