Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Check that your config ini or whatever isn't set to read-only

Also I hope for your sake your steam games are installed in C:\games or something. Anything as long as they aren't in the program files folder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNQl-tFc034 :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

bobthedinosaur posted:

Thanks to this goddamned thread I got morrowind on steam. I'm having some weird issue where it resets everything back to default every new time I start the game. I'm talkin' hotkeys, volume levels, etc all back to factory pre-sets. Kind of annoying. Anyone else run into that issue?

try running as administrator, assuming steam is installed in program files

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mammal Sauce posted:

Also I hope for your sake your steam games are installed in C:\games or something. Anything as long as they aren't in the program files folder.

I couldn't stop laughing throughout this delicious video.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Mammal Sauce posted:

hahah holy poo poo

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

I'd like to point out that since the dude glitched through the wall, he beat the game without ever finishing chargen.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
Ok can someone explain to me what is going on? I know alchemey abuse is 101 and that you can glitch through the ringwall in seyda neen but how does he teleport/noclip through everything? More details also appreciated.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Rap Music and Dope posted:

Ok can someone explain to me what is going on? I know alchemey abuse is 101 and that you can glitch through the ringwall in seyda neen but how does he teleport/noclip through everything? More details also appreciated.

I'm not certain, but Morrowind likes to glitch out when you're moving too quickly. You can literally run through walls or drop through the floor. I think that's part of the exploit?

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
there's a glitch in the unpatched non-goty edition where equipping and unequipping something fast enough keeps the boosts even after you unequip, so keening can be used to boost speed to absurd levels and do the wallhax in the red mountain area. sunder also boosts attack and strength to kill all that poo poo

so if you bind switch weapon to a mouse wheel scroll, you can just rip through poo poo and get super high stats :hellyeah:

also the script that kills you with keening/sunder takes a bit to actually turn on, and at the heart, sunder has boosted health so much that this is irrelevant anyway

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 19, 2014

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

Cantorsdust posted:

Fifth:

'Look at the majesty sideways and all you see is the Tower, which our ancestors made idols from. Look at its center and all you see is the begotten hole, second serpent, womb-ready for the Right Reaching, exact and without enchantment.'

Sixth:

'The heart of the second serpent holds the secret triangular gate.'
i thought i was already well versed in a lot of the CHIM stuff but i literally jumped out of my chair when i saw this

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
A mod I had back in the day gave all NPCs more/various spells like a heal spell some would autocast at 30% health and poo poo. Problem was, for a time it had a bug that also caused it to give everyone Vivec's signature tri-elemental spell for no cost.

Minesweep
Oct 6, 2010

You can use this to fix the dark brotherhood thing.

I also like to use this to make alchemy less tedious.

Smarmy Coworker posted:

ok i'm gonna do that >:)
i don't know if i want to install MSGO because i read like 10 pages ago that it changes cliff racer sounds. i dont know if i can deal with that.

You can uncheck that option in the installer

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
How much skill points and ability points do you need to cast the weakness+plus absorb spell? I made it yesterday but had a 0% chance even buffing and at full fatigue.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Drain health, not absorb. Absorb is expensive.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Alright, I'm going to install Morrowind again. I played before on my old computer, got about 15 hours into it and mostly enjoyed it. I had some kind of extra weapons mod, and had cheesed up some gold and had access to some ridiculous OP sword that one shotted everything, and I got bored so I'm not planning on cheesing it too hard this time. I need to know what mod or mods to get. I don't want to do anything too fancy since this will be my first full play through. My laptop is kind of crappy, it's got a dual core AMD 1.0 CPU, 4 gigs of RAM, and I think Radeon 6250 integrated graphics. Despite the lovely specs it runs games better than you'd think. It ran New Vegas with the settings down, Oblivion and almost Skyrim but not quite. So I figure it should handle Morrowind fine, and a mod that improves graphics in general might be okay, just nothing too extreme for this laptop.

So, that said, what should I get? I'll probably make a Medium Armor, Restoration Paladin type class for my first playthrough.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Horror Queefs posted:

So, that said, what should I get? I'll probably make a Medium Armor, Restoration Paladin type class for my first playthrough.

I went medium armour, armourer, 420blunt, restoration and athletics with a bunch of poo poo like alteration and mysticism in secondaries. It means you can go temple/redoran and maybe imperial legion/fighters guild/imperial cult as well, which seems like a p good spread. Obviously you can just get hella rich and skilltrain everything and do anything though, that's always an option.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Get Morrowind Overhaul, Tamriel Rebuilt and maybe Galsiah's Character Development if you don't like the leveling system (though I've always been fine with it so I've never used GCD myself).

As for character build, join the cool guys club and use medium armor, magic and spears. The Best Build.

Crewmine posted:

Obviously you can just get hella rich and skilltrain everything and do anything though, that's always an option.

If you don't go this route then what the hell are you even playing Morrowind for

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Horror Queefs posted:

Alright, I'm going to install Morrowind again. I played before on my old computer, got about 15 hours into it and mostly enjoyed it. I had some kind of extra weapons mod, and had cheesed up some gold and had access to some ridiculous OP sword that one shotted everything, and I got bored so I'm not planning on cheesing it too hard this time. I need to know what mod or mods to get. I don't want to do anything too fancy since this will be my first full play through. My laptop is kind of crappy, it's got a dual core AMD 1.0 CPU, 4 gigs of RAM, and I think Radeon 6250 integrated graphics. Despite the lovely specs it runs games better than you'd think. It ran New Vegas with the settings down, Oblivion and almost Skyrim but not quite. So I figure it should handle Morrowind fine, and a mod that improves graphics in general might be okay, just nothing too extreme for this laptop.

You want the Morrowind Graphics and Sound Overhaul on low settings plus the Morrowind Code Patch.

And Morrowind is so easily broken/cheesed that you should really be playing for 1) the feeling of being a demigod in a game that lets you go crazy and 2) the setting and lore. If you're looking for visceral, challenging combat, you're always going to come away disappointed.

Edit: I prefer Madd leveling for my leveling mod. Skills increase at a linear rate into the thousands, attributes go up by one every three skills. When you level you get 3 points to spend on skills. Luck increase on its own every 5? skill increases. It feels very much like vanilla, just extended forever.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 19, 2014

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Cannot Find Server posted:

If you don't go this route then what the hell are you even playing Morrowind for

I like to set my skills so i can do a couple of lines to the top early as i level, then begin the demigod rampage with the artifacts you get

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
i'm not good at getting money early on. any advice?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Oldstench posted:

:catdrugs: Sell drugs to cats :catdrugs:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Oldstench posted:

Get some bonemeal and scuttle, make a telekinesis potion and steal the Sword of White Woes in Balmora and Suran as well as Galbedir's soul gems in the Mages Guild quest, sell them all to Creeper except the Ogrim gem. Voila, about 45k of gold in the first hour of the game.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Oldstench posted:

cast mark on mudcrab merchant

you will know what to do when the time comes to make your first 100,000

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Crewmine posted:

cast mark on mudcrab merchant

you will know what to do when the time comes to make your first 100,000

If you're gonna use Mudcrab, the better idea is command creature him to somewhere less out of the way. That way you can use mark somewhere else, like marking where your quest giver is when you're working through a line.

Personally I'm gonna bring Mudcrab to Tel Uvirith once it's built, although I need to finish the Fighter's Guild and Thieves Guild before I start Telvanni.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

If you're gonna use Mudcrab, the better idea is command creature him to somewhere less out of the way. That way you can use mark somewhere else, like marking where your quest giver is when you're working through a line.

Personally I'm gonna bring Mudcrab to Tel Uvirith once it's built, although I need to finish the Fighter's Guild and Thieves Guild before I start Telvanni.

gently caress me this is genius, gonna drag that fucker all the way to the high fane

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Oldstench posted:

Alchemy. In Morrowind some items respawn instantly on shopkeepers. They are represented in the game's data with negative numbers. So go to Ajira or the high elf alchemist in Balmora and find some cheap ingredients that respawn. Buy some, then sell them back. The game now thinks they have -2x items. Then do it again, again, etc until you have a convenient stack of 1000ish respawning cheap ingedients for alchemy.

Then go you your MGEXE config program and set up your keyboard macros to hold down mouse click. Now you can spam create tens of potions per second without wearing out your mouse. Buy your stacks of cheap ingredients, spam create potions, level alchemy and sell your potions for mad cash.

Edit: Fast travel to the mages guild in Caldera and go up the wooden tower to steal a full set of master alchemy equipment that's entirely unattended.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Crewmine posted:

gently caress me this is genius, gonna drag that fucker all the way to the high fane

It is pretty awesome. I recommend a water walking/command creature hybrid spell. Also be warned that it takes a long time because mudcrabs are slow as poo poo, but goddamn is it convenient to do.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Is there a site with good maps of each stronghold? I've always gone Hlaalu because I like that setup the most, and thus can't remember what the others look like, but I was thinking of going Telvanni this time around.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

is a sneak based character (not relying on chamelon enchants, i'm talkin all natural, baby) really viable? i always ended up making a dude who just goes around smacking people in my playthroughs and i wanted a change of pace but it felt really fuckin rough at the start with even mudcrabs and poo poo spotting me before i could do anything at around 45 sneak.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Dr. Lenin posted:

Is there a site with good maps of each stronghold? I've always gone Hlaalu because I like that setup the most, and thus can't remember what the others look like, but I was thinking of going Telvanni this time around.

I think if you look up indarys manor and tel uvirith on UESPwiki they have maps of the completed strongholds, at least for the exteriors. Indarys is pretty cool as it's a proper little village of two houses and the manor with a wall and watchtower over the gate.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dr. Lenin posted:

Telvanni has one of the best quest lines with some of the best characters in the entire game and the coolest, but least-convenient, stronghold. I highly recommend that you choose them. I mean their stronghold gets loving Dwemer guards, what else is there to even say?

Never, ever go Redoran.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Never, ever go Redoran.

meet me in the arena i will kill you

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
gently caress I just found out what one of the rewards for the Temple is and now I want to retrain. The idea of being a highly devout reincarnated demi-god serving the living godkings of Morrowind by smashing n'wahs with a gigantic sacred hammer is too cool to pass up :black101:

Morrowind confession: I found a full set of ebony armor and couldn't be bothered to trek to Creeper/Mudcrab and swap items for 20 minutes, so I just gave myself the gold and dropped all the armor on the floor.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

I've been using the morrowind overhaul, it's awesome apart from some american lady repeatedly shouting "lindaaa!" in the ambient inn sounds.

My immersion :cry:

Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

is a sneak based character (not relying on chamelon enchants, i'm talkin all natural, baby) really viable? i always ended up making a dude who just goes around smacking people in my playthroughs and i wanted a change of pace but it felt really fuckin rough at the start with even mudcrabs and poo poo spotting me before i could do anything at around 45 sneak.

Its quite doable, and in fact, I do this on every character and have found chameleon to be pretty unnecessary. You do, however, have to be willing to sit tediously and train for a while. Luckily, you can do this while you're not even at your computer. I find the Morag Tong guildhall in Balmora a great place to train, since there's lots of screens that block vision but that also let you get a good angle to be technically in sight range of a couple of npcs. Once you get up to a reasonably high sneak, probably 60-70 plus, it all goes much faster.

You do need to be careful to level weapon skills a bit so that you don't get splattered by leveled monsters and npcs and the like, but I find I can usually max out sneak by like... level 10 or so. Of course, chameleon always helps and if you roll without it, you need to be cautious about staying behind people (since the AI in Morrowind isn't as blind as that of Oblivion/Skyrim), but sneak is actually really strong and brutal.

Scatsby fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 19, 2014

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

I've been using the morrowind overhaul, it's awesome apart from some american lady repeatedly shouting "lindaaa!" in the ambient inn sounds.

My immersion :cry:

I turned off the ambient city sounds after 10 minutes in Balmora.

Edit:

I'm going to go with House Telvanni this round, but does anyone know of a mod that completes all house strongholds? I know you can get half-built versions, but I'd like to have some real estate options here if I'm to be a rich demigod.

Fake James fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 19, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mad Hamish posted:

So....once those douches from the Dark Brotherhood start attacking you, is there any way to make them stop? I'd really like the chance to recover some Magicka and one just attacked me in Balmora's Mage Guild. Ajira, my bestest friend who I hook up with the sweet sweet moon sugar, did nothing to assist me.

WHYYYYYYY?

First time it happened I thought I was being attacked by a bondage slave.

Speaking of slaves, I'm thinking of going hardcore abolitionist and freeing all the slaves I can find. I just liberated all of the Caldera ebony mine while invisible and the Hlaalu guardsmen did nothing!

After the tenth failed assassination attempt, they'll get the hint.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dr. Lenin posted:

I'm going to go with House Telvanni this round, but does anyone know of a mod that completes all house strongholds? I know you can get half-built versions, but I'd like to have some real estate options here if I'm to be a rich demigod.

I don't know of any, but you can finish all three through the console I think.

PhantomBowie
Sep 3, 2009

"I always had a repulsive need to be something more than human."

Emasculator posted:

Its quite doable, and in fact, I do this on every character and have found chameleon to be pretty unnecessary. You do, however, have to be willing to sit tediously and train for a while. Luckily, you can do this while you're not even at your computer. I find the Morag Tong guildhall in Balmora a great place to train, since there's lots of screens that block vision but that also let you get a good angle to be technically in sight range of a couple of npcs. Once you get up to a reasonably high sneak, probably 60-70 plus, it all goes much faster.

You do need to be careful to level weapon skills and the like a bit so that you don't get splattered by leveled monsters and npcs and the like, but I find I can usually max out sneak by like... level 10 or so. Of course, chameleon always helps and if you roll without it, you need to be cautious about staying behind people (since the AI in Morrowind isn't as blind as that of Oblivion/Skyrim), but sneak is actually really strong and brutal.

Seconding this.

The ONLY character I never cheated with as a kid was a h2h/sneak character. The start may have been a tad rough, but once that sneak and h2h got higher I could crouch and sneak right into someone's face and 1 hit KO them. Though for some reason I keep remembering him in the Telv House, I think I used magic mostly at the start.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Cantorsdust posted:

Alchemy. In Morrowind some items respawn instantly on shopkeepers. They are represented in the game's data with negative numbers. So go to Ajira or the high elf alchemist in Balmora and find some cheap ingredients that respawn. Buy some, then sell them back. The game now thinks they have -2x items. Then do it again, again, etc until you have a convenient stack of 1000ish respawning cheap ingedients for alchemy.

Then go you your MGEXE config program and set up your keyboard macros to hold down mouse click. Now you can spam create tens of potions per second without wearing out your mouse. Buy your stacks of cheap ingredients, spam create potions, level alchemy and sell your potions for mad cash.

Edit: Fast travel to the mages guild in Caldera and go up the wooden tower to steal a full set of master alchemy equipment that's entirely unattended.
Alchemy has been a great way to make money early on in every TES game. Thievery isn't a good as it used to be though :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
So is summoning four or more creatures just guaranteed to crash the game, or is this not a common issue?

• Locked thread