Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Snowdens Secret posted:

It says he was hit by a bus.

It says HE HIT a bus, important distinction! Either way I really can't imagine the slide at that head angle for that long without tumbling. But it's the internet, so it could just as well be someone put a helmet on a sander/a bandsaw and the text got added later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Jeremy Clarkson would like to point out that there's no reason to ride a motorcycle when for about $200,000 you can buy an Ariel Atom V8 which can beat a $15,000 motorcycle around the track. It's just as much fun as a bike! Honest!

Well I'll just sell my 14 motorcycles and buy one! :v:

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

Seriously. It says he was hit by a bus. Unless he got wedged under there while the bus ran its route I don't see how it's remotely possible to put that much force for that much time at such an odd and consistent angle.

Gonna guess that's something someone did with a table sander or something as a prop and not actual road damage.

A bus full of samurai swords.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

A bus full of samurai swords.

Surely you've heard of the noble art of bus shido

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Phy posted:

Surely you've heard of the noble art of bus shido

:golfclap:

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
It says "he must have been texting HIS boyfriend" I think the implication you all missed is that only gay people wear helmets.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Rontalvos posted:

It says "he must have been texting HIS boyfriend" I think the implication you all missed is that only gay people wear helmets.

And/or ride Japanese bikes.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Safety Dance posted:

And/or ride Japanese bikes.

How do we know it was a Japanese bike? Because he wore a full face?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The first comment implies that he crashed because he was on a rice cake.

Probably rice cake > full face helmet > is a homosexual > homosexuals ride rice cakes > rice cake riders wear full face helmets. Q.E.D. :colbert:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It took me a few minutes to realize what he meant by rice cake

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Rice cake feels like a pretty weak racist insult. I prefer "jap crap" as a racist insult.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Ain't no yellow when my Doppler shifts from red & white to blue. :911:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Rice cake feels like a pretty weak racist insult. I prefer "jap crap" as a racist insult.

Japanshrott

(Nein danke)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Once while my dad and I were driving along the highway, he spotted a Mercedes SLK 320 with a bookshelf wing on the back and giant ugly rims and decals on the side and stuff.

:clint: "Ugh, look at that rice-burner."
:clint: "Wait, it can't be a rice-burner. Rice is from Japan. What do they eat in Germany?"
:clint: [thoughtful pause]
:clint: "Krautburner"

And apparently that was just the most hilarious thing in the world because it cracked him up for fifteen minutes straight, laughing so hard that he couldn't breathe or speak and the car started weaving in the lane. Even after he calmed down, for the rest of the car ride every few minutes he'd say :clint: "Krautburner" and start all over again.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Once while my dad and I were driving along...

:clint: "Ugh, look at that rice-burner."
:clint: "Wait, it can't be a rice-burner. Rice is from Japan. What do they eat burn in Germany?"
:clint: [thoughtful pause]
:jewish:

Your dad is a much nicer person than I.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

On the other hand if you burn rice it just means you're a bad cook.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I used to write japscrap in chalk on my tank of the old Suzuki gs when I rode with my he-man Harley buddies.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

kenny powerzzz posted:

I used to write japscrap in chalk on my tank of the old Suzuki gs when I rode with my he-man Harley buddies.

You should have written it on the back so that they could see it. :kamina:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Could've been a GS350 or GS500.

In which case the side would still suffice.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
1982 gs650e. It was faster than their pigs but I wasn't a good enough rider to prove it for anything but small sprints. And not to be stereotypical but I've come a long way and they're still parking it in corners on poker runs.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Stupid motorcycle poo poo from me- What does "parking it in a corner" mean? Is it motorcycle specific? I hear it used a lot and Google is no help.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Slowing down excessively because you're afraid of leaning the bike over when cornering.

That's me by the way. :ohdear:

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 18, 2014

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh that makes sense. Thanks for explaining. That's me too. :( I'm much better with the new tires, though. Still misjudge entry speed for some corners, but I'm encouraged to start pushing and leaning in harder, instead of going for the brakes. Jesus take the handlebars.

I guess parking it in a corner is preferable to taking it in a way you don't know and botching it. That said, anyone behind you now has an obstacle smack dab in the apex. That can't be safe.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

That just creates the opportunity for other riders to Layer Dan, allowing others to establish Harley Street Cred (tm). Parking in the corners is the ultimate act of selflessness.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

Coydog posted:

Oh that makes sense. Thanks for explaining. That's me too. :( I'm much better with the new tires, though. Still misjudge entry speed for some corners, but I'm encouraged to start pushing and leaning in harder, instead of going for the brakes. Jesus take the handlebars.

I guess parking it in a corner is preferable to taking it in a way you don't know and botching it. That said, anyone behind you now has an obstacle smack dab in the apex. That can't be safe.

You don't really use "Parking it in a corner" for someone who is a new rider and just is taking things slow because that's their skill level. I usually use it to describe guys on supersports doing 100 in the straights and then slowing down to 30 for a turn I would take at 50ish. I am certainly not a speedy rider, but I definitely pace myself to no more than 60 on straights (talking twisty roads, not highway) so that the difference from the straight to the turn often requires no braking at all. It's much smoother that way and there is a lot less chance of "Oh poo poo!" adrenaline taking over right before a turn.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
For a good example of 'parking it in a corner': I was once behind a rider that was riding so slow (in a busy area where a quick pass wasn't possible) I wondered if I could make the turns without my hands on the bars. I could.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Parking it in corners is what squids do - gas it on the straights, hard on the brakes in corners. I've got a mate that does it and it's loving dangerous to follow him because you can't tell what he's going to do.

nsaP: I was doing that down the Toowoomba range the other day to see if I could. Made it the entire way through the 40 zone. Very fun.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
More specifically, 'parking it in a corner' usually refers to riders who don't know how to countersteer, so they slow down to speeds where you just turn the bars in the expected direction and it works. Which is pretty much parking lot speed.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Shimrod posted:

Parking it in corners is what squids do - gas it on the straights, hard on the brakes in corners. I've got a mate that does it and it's loving dangerous to follow him because you can't tell what he's going to do.

nsaP: I was doing that down the Toowoomba range the other day to see if I could. Made it the entire way through the 40 zone. Very fun.

There is a local riding spot that is a 15mph speed limit on the side of a mountain - on days that there are rangers I will just turn the bike off and coast down this twisty rear end road without my hands on the bars and use body english to bring the bike down the mountain.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

More specifically, 'parking it in a corner' usually refers to riders who don't know how to countersteer, so they slow down to speeds where you just turn the bars in the expected direction and it works. Which is pretty much parking lot speed.

A related species is only knowing how to make the bike turn by leaning, with no input at all. You can see them try to negotiate a motorway on-ramp or similar, with the bike steadfastly refusing to turn and them frantically trying to push it on it's side with the weight of their helmet. At lower speeds they revert to just turning the bars in the direction of travel.

I've found that turning the bars where you want to go only actually works at extremely low speeds, like sub-25km/h, and even then it's only really necessary on sportbikes. Bikes with bars seem entirely capable of counter-steering even at low speeds like that, but the ZRX is the biggest and heaviest bar bike I've ridden so I can't comment on Harleys, goldwings and such.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I don't think it's a factor of weight so much as it is rake and trail. A cruiser tilts the wheel much more than it turns it, compared to an upright sportbike / UJM.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Make the hurting stop. :(

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm laughing so hard at these riding descriptions. I had no idea people did this and never learned better. Bringing down to speeds where turning the bars the direction you want to go properly steers the bike? Trying to lean the bike over because that's what happens when you corner and why isn't it working now I just don't understand how does this black magic work? Hilarious. Esp when this stuff is done on a twisty road. Not that I'm any good at it either yet but wow.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Being on this forum + giving a poo poo about being able to ride better makes you in an entirely different league to those people. I can't remember the exact term but they're in the statistical zone where they're so crap at it that they have no reference point from which to judge just how crap they are. Also just plain old laziness, riding to look cool etc.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah remember this is a rare case. While I still think most riders I see are crud, the one that I no handed behind was unique, the only one so far. For us who've been riding years the stories we share on here are 1 ride or 1 rider out of thousands.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think the ratio of crap:good riders, not counting obvious learners, is like 100:1. Anecdotally, of course.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Slavvy posted:

Being on this forum + giving a poo poo about being able to ride better makes you in an entirely different league to those people. I can't remember the exact term but they're in the statistical zone where they're so crap at it that they have no reference point from which to judge just how crap they are. Also just plain old laziness, riding to look cool etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect
There you go.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Have I mentioned the bike at school that has no mirrors or indicators yet? It's been down on both sides (wouldn't be surprised if it's multiple times) too. I'm betting this guy is either a poo poo rider or he chose an R6 as his first ride. Probably both.

Jackie the Mick
Nov 10, 2003
Don' say we neva did nuthin fah yuz.
Oh man, I've been "Parking in Corners" since around this time last year. When there is snow and ice on the roads here (only a hand full of times a year) the city just dumps sand on the roads. When everything else dries up, the sand stays for weeks. I was turning onto a side street, minding my own business, when the front tire hit a patch of sand. It wasn't a terrible accident, but it was really surprising and I've apparently still not gotten over it. So, yeah, I go pretty slow through sharpish turns now because I'm scanning the surface for goddamn sand. It's pretty embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
Is this a symptom of no training requirements, do you think? We certainly have crap riders over here, but you have to have some riding ability to pass your test.

• Locked thread