Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

ScarletBrother posted:

Anyone know a good place to buy foreign language (Russian or Japanese) basic lands? The Wonder Weapon has me rethinking my Beta Basics.

I've been partner to several boxes of Russian sets opened if that tickles you right. PM me if you want to go that route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zoness posted:

The Phyrexians. Also Jeska kinda.

Well, wasn't karn part Phyrexian? Like didn't he have like a phyrexian's heart or something?

I seem to remember thats where the phyrexian oil on mirrodin came from.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

What a Judas posted:

The latter is true but if you think they are not cool looking then you, sir, are no longer a good person.

Miscuts where you can tell what each individual card are can be especially tits. I happen to think the more extreme the error on a card the more unique and awesome it is, miscuts included.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

The Wonder Weapon posted:

If you want to make ~your Magic experience~ look cool and unique without spending mortgage payments on JP foils then maybe read this http://blog.mtgprice.com/2014/02/19/affordable-luxury/

Its time for best non-full art basics!

Swamp and Island, no contest ladys and gents.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Looks like next block might be Mongol themed. I actually think the name is probably a replacement for the original Warlords of Khanar as the name is too similar to the word Khan to have both in the block, imo.

http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/magic-fundamentals/the-rumor-mill/545434-khans-of-tarkir-potential-winter-or-spring-2015

MTGS posted:

On February 14, 2014, WoTC filed for a trademark for "Khans of Tarkir" in the following categories:

quote:

IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Downloadable software for use in playing computer games; computer game software for use with communication devices and mobile telephones; downloadable electronic publications in the nature of e-books in the field of fantasy adventures

IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: Card games, trading card games, playing cards and accessories for use therewith

IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment services, namely, providing online computer games and interactive multiplayer online computer games via a global network; organizing and conducting game tournaments and exhibitions in the field of games; providing online publications in the nature of e-books in the field of fantasy adventures

This name resembles the previous "Warlords of Khanar" mark, which is likely the fall 2014 large expansion. Based on previous patterns, it is likely that Khans of Tarkir is the name for the Winter or Spring 2015 expansion.

It is also possible (though unlikely) that Khans of Tarkir is replacing Warlords of Khanar as the name of the Fall 2014 expansion. The Warlords of Khanar trademark application was preliminarily rejected, and while I expect WoTC to get the preliminary rejection reversed (as they did with Theros, which was also initially rejected), it is possible that they've decided to change the name instead.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I once saw a playset of identically-miscut Accumulated Knowledge for sale in a dealer's case for $600. Over 20% of the card was Seal of Fire. It was exactly the sort of thing that made me really glad I didn't have $600 to spend on wizard poker.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Tharizdun posted:

I once saw a playset of identically-miscut Accumulated Knowledge for sale in a dealer's case for $600. Over 20% of the card was Seal of Fire. It was exactly the sort of thing that made me really glad I didn't have $600 to spend on wizard poker.

That's terribly overpriced for a card that doesn't see any play anymore, and when it was the nuts miscuts were still considered errors nobody wanted.

But yeah. Miscuts can get dumb. I have a $300-$500 Revised Plains and several $50 basics, nevermind the really crazy poo poo.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Bugsy posted:

I thought he gave up his spark during/right after timespiral which wasn't thousands of years ago in the mtg timeline.

gently caress knows. Jace is apparently thousands of years old and I'm pretty sure he's never been anything other than a babywalker. On the other hand, characters from the original Ravnica trilogy, which was preMending, are still alive in RTR. (Yo Borb, Teysa.)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What a Judas posted:

That's terribly overpriced for a card that doesn't see any play anymore, and when it was the nuts miscuts were still considered errors nobody wanted.

But yeah. Miscuts can get dumb. I have a $300-$500 Revised Plains and several $50 basics, nevermind the really crazy poo poo.

It was the fact that it was a complete playset of identical miscuts. And this was ~2003, when AK was still a thing.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Zoness posted:

Time Spiral storm island is one of the better islands that's overlooked imo.

Look at that beauty:

I have one of these in my Splinter Twin deck that I've spent a little extra money on blinging out. I can attest that it looks fantastic in foil.

Speaking of my Twin deck, avoid the vendor Undead Gaming if you shop on tcgplayer. I ordered a textless Cryptic Command 2 weeks ago, right before the price spike, and it magically never shipped. I couldn't get then to respond to any messages until I escalated the issue to tcgplayer. TCGplayer ended up canceling the order for me and I imagine we'll soon see the card relisted 10 bucks higher.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
People trying to call their crimped cards "miscuts" need to stop though. Those doesn't count when you can make them yourself.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Madmarker posted:

Well, wasn't karn part Phyrexian? Like didn't he have like a phyrexian's heart or something?

I seem to remember thats where the phyrexian oil on mirrodin came from.

I had nothing better to do at work than look this up.

Urza used a phyrexian heartstone to give karn sentience. Thats how he got the drop of phyrexian oil. The oil spread their corruption. So Karn was infected from the day he came to life, carried that infection to Mirrodin when he created it, so it was inevitable that they got corrupted. Basically they thought they beat the Phyrexians when they killed them all and shattered their world, but Urza was a retard and used a part that gives sentience to Phyrexian constructs to create a golem that was part of the legacy weapon. Karn was a phyrexian the whole time basically. he then became the first phyrexian planeswalker, created Argentum which became mirrodin because memnarch was corrupted by the drop of oil in Karn's heart. After fixing mirrodin in the first mirrodin block, Karn went back to Dominaria for Time spiral. After that he knew he was corrupted, planeswalked a bunch, went to Mirrodin's Core and sat down, and tried to fight the corruption in himself. Melira went to the core, cleaned Karn up except she couldn't cure his heart or some poo poo, so Venser sacrificed himself to give Karn a new clean heart/spark/whatever. Karn woke up and promptly lost the war or some poo poo, vowing to "make it all right"

TL:DR sneaky phyrexians we thought we had them but Karn was secretly one of them the whole time!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

jassi007 posted:

I really wanted to say Meignaud's Mountain, but they absolutely butchered the colors cropping it from full-art, so i'm going to say Mountain #299 from Champions of Kamigawa:

I think Kamigawa's Red is the best red aesthetic they've ever done.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

ScarletBrother posted:

Anyone know a good place to buy foreign language (Russian or Japanese) basic lands? The Wonder Weapon has me rethinking my Beta Basics.

They're usually miserably hard to come by. Best thing to do is look for starter packs in that language, as most of them come with a pack of basic lands. You can usually get ~8 of each land from a set for 35-40 if you trawl ebay enough.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

whydirt posted:

Looks like next block might be Mongol themed. I actually think the name is probably a replacement for the original Warlords of Khanar as the name is too similar to the word Khan to have both in the block, imo.

More likely it's too similar to Warlords of Draenor, the next WOW expansion that is probably going to be released at the same time.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

jassi007 posted:

Regular art Zendikar cereal bowl Island is the greatest of all Islands. Other than that I really love the APAC lands in general.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

jassi007 posted:

Karn woke up and promptly lost the war or some poo poo, vowing to "make it all right"

Why oh why is Karn not the protagonist of Magic going forward :smith:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

jassi007 posted:

I had nothing better to do at work than look this up.

Urza used a phyrexian heartstone to give karn sentience. Thats how he got the drop of phyrexian oil. The oil spread their corruption. So Karn was infected from the day he came to life, carried that infection to Mirrodin when he created it, so it was inevitable that they got corrupted. Basically they thought they beat the Phyrexians when they killed them all and shattered their world, but Urza was a retard and used a part that gives sentience to Phyrexian constructs to create a golem that was part of the legacy weapon. Karn was a phyrexian the whole time basically. he then became the first phyrexian planeswalker, created Argentum which became mirrodin because memnarch was corrupted by the drop of oil in Karn's heart. After fixing mirrodin in the first mirrodin block, Karn went back to Dominaria for Time spiral. After that he knew he was corrupted, planeswalked a bunch, went to Mirrodin's Core and sat down, and tried to fight the corruption in himself. Melira went to the core, cleaned Karn up except she couldn't cure his heart or some poo poo, so Venser sacrificed himself to give Karn a new clean heart/spark/whatever. Karn woke up and promptly lost the war or some poo poo, vowing to "make it all right"

TL:DR sneaky phyrexians we thought we had them but Karn was secretly one of them the whole time!

Man way to not mention Xantcha, Urza using her heartstone for Karn was also one of those rare Urza being sentimental and human things.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I thought Karn turned out to be the Mirari or something? The Mirrodin (first time around) books were really, really bad.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

MrBling posted:

People trying to call their crimped cards "miscuts" need to stop though. Those doesn't count when you can make them yourself.

Show me that you can copy the card crimping and I'll show you dollars. I'm serious. This takes expensive machinery and cannot be done by hand.

They're still not miscuts. They're a genre of their own.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Tharizdun posted:

I thought Karn turned out to be the Mirari or something? The Mirrodin (first time around) books were really, really bad.

Memnarch was the Mirari :psyduck:. Karn made the Mirari to see what Dominaria was like after the invasion or something.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

JerryLee posted:

Why oh why is Karn not the protagonist of Magic going forward :smith:

He'll be back, I'm sure they're not going to let Karn and Phyrexia go, I'd bet they're debating on whether to do Mirrodin 3, back to Dominaria, or some new setting with them.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Best non-full-art lands? Terese Nielsen to the rescue:

http://teresenielsen.typepad.com/the_world_of_terese_niels/2011/01/magic-the-gatherings-guru-land-art.html

Note that the only paper lands with these arts are $200+ each.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Speaking of favorite land art, I am pretty sure that the Coldsnap Snow Covered Mountain is my favorite mountain art in all of Magic. And there's some amazing stuff out there, I know, but this just looks [i]so good[i].

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Zoness posted:

Memnarch was the Mirari :psyduck:. Karn made the Mirari to see what Dominaria was like after the invasion or something.

Karn is pretty stupid. So after making his perfect world Argentum, he sent some space probes to keep an eye on Dominaria. One of them accidentally turned into the Mirrari, an object of immense power and corrupted people and brought them doom. So oops, Karn went and grabbed this probe turned awful, and instead of ya know, smashing it or whatever, he makes it the heart of a golem, Memnarch, and named him the protector of Mirrodin. After that plan went obviously wrong and Memnarch did all sorts of bad poo poo to Mirrodin, causing Karn to have to return, he melted him down to the Mirarri core again and gave it to a couple of smucks, Glissa, Slobad, and Geth. An elf, a goblin, and a lich. Noting could possibly go wrong there, right guys?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

jassi007 posted:

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
All magic cards need to be Russian because it looks so great. Its really too bad that its really hard to find Russian cards compared to like Japanese.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

jassi007 posted:

He'll be back, I'm sure they're not going to let Karn and Phyrexia go, I'd bet they're debating on whether to do Mirrodin 3, back to Dominaria, or some new setting with them.

They won't do it, but I've joked with my buds about a Phyrexian invasion of Alara.

Jin-Gitaxias seizing Esper. :allears:

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
I, in general, love the coldsnap cycle of Snow Covered Basics. I've thought about switching the two basic mountains in my Scapeshift deck to snow covered mountains partially because of how awesome the snow art is and also I like the irony of a snow covered mountain triggering Valakut.

I recently finished my modern frame cube and I had to choose 5 basics for the cube. It took awhile but I got 60 foils of the following 5 basics.

It really does look unbelievably cool to have all of basics be the same art and have them all be foil in the cube. I've always had a weird love for the ROE Islands, probably because it was the set I started with.

My favorite combination is actually old art with the new frame, but there's so few opportunities for that. Its basically eighth/ninth edition basics, Archenemy basics, and then random duel decks will have that combination. There's even fewer chances of getting them foiled.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Zoness posted:

What about Urza :can: (or Mishra or Volrath or Gerrard Capashen).

Urza's probably quite dead but if they don't bring back some of the Weatherlight cast for the inevitable multi-plane war with Phyrexia block, I think it'll be a missed opportunity.

Compleated zombie Gerrard. :black101:

EDIT: the RoE lands are really cool.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Sampatrick posted:

All magic cards need to be Russian because it looks so great. Its really too bad that its really hard to find Russian cards compared to like Japanese.

I love Russian cards, though not for the same reason most people seem to. I don't particularly think they look better than English ones, but since I'm from a Slavic country and I've studied Russian in high school, the Russian cars just have an extra humorous quality to them, in seeing how the Russians translated something. I mean, yeah - Duress is a fine card. Насилие though? That just makes me giggle.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

ScarletBrother posted:

No way dude, Beta Basics are way cooler than some random foil basics or whatever.

Only lands cooler than that are Foil Full Art, APAC, EURO or GURUS

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 19, 2014

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I know everyone else goes completely apeshit for Unhinged lands, but I find that I vastly prefer the art and the aesthetic of the Unglued lands. I'll admit, the Unhinged Island is very nice, but on the whole, I love the frame and the art from Unglued more.

By far my favorite normal Island art.

Though, the Snow-Covered Island is also really really cool.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Jenx posted:

I love Russian cards, though not for the same reason most people seem to. I don't particularly think they look better than English ones, but since I'm from a Slavic country and I've studied Russian in high school, the Russian cars just have an extra humorous quality to them, in seeing how the Russians translated something. I mean, yeah - Duress is a fine card. Насилие though? That just makes me giggle.

I feel the same way about German cards. Planar Cleansing is nothing compared to Weltenreinigung! :black101:

Too bad it seems like German cards are printed months after the initial release.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Portal 2 land will always be my favourite. I need to get some more of them.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

I have this forest, in foil, on my desk at work. Hands down one of my favorites.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Yeah, Russian is my foreign language of choice for Magic cards, too. It helps that I've had really good luck opening Russian packs; the first booster I bought after coming back to Magic in 2012 was a Russian Avacyn Restored pack where the rare was Griselbrand, and the first Dragon's Maze booster I bought was Russian and had a Voice of Resurgence.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

It's also not unreasonable that there are a few pockets of Phyrexians scattered around the multiverse any way. Dominaria was definitely Yawgmoth's primary target, but they had a presence on a poo poo ton of worlds. Urza and Xancha spent a lot of time basically randomly plane hopping trying to find Phyrexians and Phyrexian sleeper agents.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
That P2 Island is pretty cool, I've never seen it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Boxman posted:

Urza's probably quite dead but if they don't bring back some of the Weatherlight cast for the inevitable multi-plane war with Phyrexia block, I think it'll be a missed opportunity.

Compleated zombie Gerrard. :black101:

EDIT: the RoE lands are really cool.

I eagerly await Compleated zombie Venser.

Not a walker anymore, he knows how to build that Phyrexian planes walking ship.

Since Karn is 1: a dumbass and 2: in possession of Venser's body, he'll probably do something dumb like try to ressurect him with a shard of the Mirrari and then he'll magically get a spark due yo the trauma of being ressurected and become the Esperwalker of my dreams. :allears:

Edit: loving autocorrect.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 19, 2014

• Locked thread