Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
The javelin launcher (I think? it's level 14) is the greatest asset to the Fencer. I have yet to find much of a use for the actual weapon itself as I cannot aim its projectiles for the life of me. However, it lets you dash cancel at a much faster rate than the shield cancel and you can zoom around the level with ease. I just hope there is eventually a version that is useful as a weapon as well.

Does anyone have a list of what the rewards are for completing each difficulty for each class? Is there a specialized genocide gun for each class like in the previous EDF games? What about for the lesser difficulties?

Edit: I really wish the Air Raider's guide beams/beacons occupied a 4th weapon slot as it seems a waste to take it into a match most of the time. Feel free to prove me wrong online after I add myself to the metatag GT: ImmortalThusFar

general chaos fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

general chaos posted:

The javelin launcher (I think? it's level 14) is the greatest asset to the Fencer. I have yet to find much of a use for the actual weapon itself as I cannot aim its projectiles for the life of me. However, it lets you dash cancel at a much faster rate than the shield cancel and you can zoom around the level with ease. I just hope there is eventually a version that is useful as a weapon as well.

Does anyone have a list of what the rewards are for completing each difficulty for each class? Is there a specialized genocide gun for each class like in the previous EDF games? What about for the lesser difficulties?

The proper way to use Javelin Launcher is to equip two of them then look at the ground, and proceed to watch all the red blips on the minimap in front of you disappear.

This, of course, means you can't use it for dash-cancel purposes, but I find that the shield cancel with the small shield is fast enough to make me quicker than Ranger/Air Raider at most times, so it's enough for me and adds some survivability.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Hey can someone put together a list of things they'd like to see in the "serioius" op?

I already have that this game owns so we're covered on that front.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Hey can someone put together a list of things they'd like to see in the "serioius" op?

- Avenues for adding other players for each platform.
- A breakdown of differences between the 360 and PS3 versions (as well as specifics like how Player 2's progress on the 360 only gets saved to Player 1's save).
- Extra highlighting of the game owning

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

You should probably put dash cancel information under the Fencer section, as the class is nigh-unplayable without knowing about it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Selious posted:

After buying the JP version almost a year ago I'm almost sure the US PS3 version somehow has a lower framerate. 2017 dipped down a bit from time to time, but the first air raider artillery shell goes sub frame per second and most online games hover around 10.

The first couple of stages have pretty much double the number of entities running around. The civilians tend to thin out afterwards, and the framerate increases.

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'd like to rip and tear some bugs on the PS3. I'm duomomo on PSN.

Jaff
Aug 25, 2004

Is anyone else having frequent lock-ups on the PS3 version? Playing with 2 other people online we could barely make it through 3 missions in a row without losing at least one person to a hard system lockup, most of the time if it happened to 1 person we would all disconnect at the very least. Saw it happen while waiting to load a mission, in the middle of a mission, and even once after finishing a mission (but before getting the armor/weapons we had picked up of course).

I expected to be putting up with some quirks, but this is really frustrating when it happens so frequently. Especially bad when you make it through an entire mission then lose credit for the mission, and everything you picked up, and have to do it again or you can't go on.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

The proper way to use Javelin Launcher is to equip two of them then look at the ground, and proceed to watch all the red blips on the minimap in front of you disappear.

This, of course, means you can't use it for dash-cancel purposes

That's not true, you can equip 3 Javelin Launchers.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Jaff posted:

Is anyone else having frequent lock-ups on the PS3 version? Playing with 2 other people online we could barely make it through 3 missions in a row without losing at least one person to a hard system lockup, most of the time if it happened to 1 person we would all disconnect at the very least. Saw it happen while waiting to load a mission, in the middle of a mission, and even once after finishing a mission (but before getting the armor/weapons we had picked up of course).

I expected to be putting up with some quirks, but this is really frustrating when it happens so frequently. Especially bad when you make it through an entire mission then lose credit for the mission, and everything you picked up, and have to do it again or you can't go on.

Haven't seen it happen yet. I've only been playing with one other person for 16 levels, though.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Infinity Gaia posted:

You should probably put dash cancel information under the Fencer section, as the class is nigh-unplayable without knowing about it.

I wouldn't go that far. I was actually playing it all night not knowing about dash cancel, I just tended to be long-range artillery support for my Wing Diver partner. It honestly worked pretty well, though we had to coordinate weapon pickups some since it seems to favor giving weapons for whoever picks up the box.

That said, now that I've mostly mastered dash canceling with the small shield? Oh my loving god. I AM THE GOD OF MOVING!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Selious posted:

After buying the JP version almost a year ago I'm almost sure the US PS3 version somehow has a lower framerate. 2017 dipped down a bit from time to time, but the first air raider artillery shell goes sub frame per second and most online games hover around 10. The loads are still pretty bad (not sure how compared to 360) and I'm kinda surprised they still don't have online coop in that version, but gently caress live.

That said this game is everything I wanted in a sequel, the destructibility where buildings, ants, cars, everything just blows into chunks and physics everywhere. I just kinda want a PC version so it would run above 4 FPS.
The playstation 3 version has no online co-op? :aaaaa:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

coyo7e posted:

It doesn't have online same-console co-op, not online co-op at all.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

coyo7e posted:

It does but only 1 player per console, you can't do split-screen and online, it's either/or.

The 360 will let you take two players on the same console (playing split screen) and connect online with others, although there are limits on storing progress for Player 2 (it saves on Player 1's save, might also only cash in achievements for Player 1?). Does anyone know if both players need Live Gold, or just one?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Playing on hard with co-op probably is the way to go for your first time. (Don't all be air raiders though, you fucks.) The weapon drops are more interesting than normal difficulty from what I've seen. (The plasma ram for the wing diver is pretty badass.) Plus, you know. Actual chance of you dying.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Drakenel posted:

Playing on hard with co-op probably is the way to go for your first time. (Don't all be air raiders though, you fucks.) The weapon drops are more interesting than normal difficulty from what I've seen. (The plasma ram for the wing diver is pretty badass.) Plus, you know. Actual chance of you dying.

Every difficulty level has interesting weapons, and by skipping straight to Hard you miss out on hilariously terrible prototype weapons. Plus, a pretty big part of this game is collecting weapons so missing out on most of the Normal difficulty ones would be lame later.

PS. Later levels on Normal are still pretty drat hard. Be forwarned.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

God drat. I hopped into the hardest mode and ended up in a team where everyone else died in the opening five minutes of the game and proceeded to die the second I respawned them. So I ended up as a Wing Diver with 30 health kiting the entire stage of enemies slowly and occasionally reviving my pals when health dropped (only for them to die right away again) while they shouted encouragement at me from the sidelines.

That's some prime EDF.

I can't imagine playing any class but Wing Diver though. The mobility they have just makes the game so much more fun.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

univbee posted:

It does but only 1 player per console, you can't do split-screen and online, it's either/or.

The 360 will let you take two players on the same console (playing split screen) and connect online with others, although there are limits on storing progress for Player 2 (it saves on Player 1's save, might also only cash in achievements for Player 1?). Does anyone know if both players need Live Gold, or just one?
I *think* only Player 1 needs to have gold. I was playing with my kids last night, and player 2 would show up as "Player1Name(1)", which is usually indicative of using the "guest" multiplayer functionality that allows silver users to ride along. All of my kids have gold though (converted from a Family account), so I can't confirm that this is 100% true.

Also, playing split screen + online is annoying because the game has HUGE name indicators on your screen no matter where the other players are. In split screen, they can be really obscuring. I can't figure out how to turn that off, though I found an option that made it worse ("show gamertags -> on").

dreadfulwater
May 13, 2005

Murder Machine
is there any graphical differences between platforms? I am trying to find out before I buy.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
I can't seem to get the hang of dash cancelling with the fencer. Is it really just "dash reflect dash reflect"? That doesn't seem to work for me, using the starting shield/spear.

One glitch I have noticed, if you use the vertical boost in the tunnel levels and scrape your head against the ceiling, you can "stick" to the ceiling for a prolonged time and build up a lot of forward speed.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Hah, I love when you pull out the satellite weapon beacon and the woman on the radio says, "Unauthorized access to satellite Nanthung, they're hijacking the orbital weapons platform!" or something similar.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

I can't imagine playing any class but Wing Diver though. The mobility they have just makes the game so much more fun.

Yeah, tried her this morning. I think I am going to main this going forward. It's SO MUCH FUN.

That scatter gun is pretty awesome against.. everything. Swarms of ants? Land right in the middle, they all die.

Going into a tunnel? Just stand there and its a wall of death, they can't get past. They just die.

Got stuck in a web? It kills the spider and web in about 5 seconds.

Its range might suck, but it's really great otherwise.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The thing to remember about Wing Diver is that you're not a sniper. You have some long range weapons but good ones are few and far between while rapiers and lightning shotguns wreck everything forever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

The thing to remember about Wing Diver is that you're not a sniper. You have some long range weapons but good ones are few and far between while rapiers and lightning shotguns wreck everything forever.

That's the best thing about it. Dive in, smash some face, fly out like a pixie of death.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, I've just seen too many reviews talk like you're supposed to hang back and plink when that's basically your last resort. The starting rapier has more dps than most midgame weapons if you jam it right in a bug's face.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Can someone explain this mechanic? I'm having trouble figuring it out, and I haven't had much luck finding the youtube video that people have mentioned demonstrating it.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Gave this a spin as a Wing Diver last night. Did the first dozen missions or so on normal with most deaths being due to some very poorly thrown grenades. Decided it was too easy so I kicked it up to Hardest and retried the first level. Most of my guns were insufficient for killing bugs quickly and I could take one rough hit and survive. So I pull out the plasma shoots-like-a-missile gun and take advantage of its range and flying and just shoot ants from a distance. Some civilians may have gotten in the way. Lots of buildings definitely got in the way. The collateral damage you can cause in this game reminds me of R.A.D. and it is loving great. EDF! EDF! :patriot:

e: That starting rapier is amazing too. One or two missions on normal was just flying in and unloading it and watching bug gibs fly everywhere :black101:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The first 2 EDF games were in RAD's engine, so it's not hard to find the similarities.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Brackhar posted:

Can someone explain this mechanic? I'm having trouble figuring it out, and I haven't had much luck finding the youtube video that people have mentioned demonstrating it.

Watch the thrusters on your back when you dash. They'll fire, flare up, and then fade before vanishing. Just before they disappear you want to hit your shield's reflect. You can then pretty much just mash dash again, I find the trickiest part is the timing to hit the reflect.

It is massively easier (and more useful) with the Ion Shield. The normal shield might be okay with it, and it's actually slower than just repeatedly dashing like normal with the tower shield.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Until you get the timing down you can just mash the shield reflect button while you're dashing.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Hmm. I guess the question is, does that replace the sheer awesomeness that is double wielding two melee weapons?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I yelped with glee when I attacked a bunch of spiders with the stage 3 Vibro-Hammer attack. That doesn't happen much anymore.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Can't decide on any guns for fencers. The recoil is always terrible and if you equip more than one your aiming goes awful.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Top Gym Pumper posted:

Can't decide on any guns for fencers. The recoil is always terrible and if you equip more than one your aiming goes awful.
You don't have to fire both at once.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

coyo7e posted:

You don't have to fire both at once.

Just having a second equipped seems to make the aiming move at half speed, except for like the gatling gun for whatever reason.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
I'm going to assume that the Fencer's melee weapons are as close as we're ever going to get to playing Zangeki no Reginleiv / Norse Defense Force?

Drakenel posted:

Playing on hard with co-op probably is the way to go for your first time. (Don't all be air raiders though, you fucks.)
I wish I had this problem. Everyone around me always wants to zoom about the map as wing divers. If I'm playing as a ranger or if there's a lot of obstacles in my way as a Fencer, I just can't keep up. It doesn't help that they do seem to have some of the best weapons in the game (in the early stages at least.)

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I really wish there was any sort of "I" in the AI in this game.

I can't count the times I've failed a mission and had to restart because some twit runs in front of me right as I fire my 600-damage rocket launcher. And it really sucks in poo poo like Brute Force, where it's a long, multi-stage mission and you're surrounded by idiots. It's like playing online, only no one's yelling obscenities or racial slurs.

Dear soldiers of the EDF: When you see someone using a large rocket launcher, maybe don't cross into their line of fire! :downs:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
^^^ Jump before you fire, problem solved.

Yeah, don't forget the ranger, kids. He still has some pretty powerful weaponry. (Hello Stringer J3. What's that? You're a 4000 damage single shot sniper rifle? It's ok, I forgive you for the reload time for the ability to take out spawning ships and Hectors in one shot.)

Either way. Time for more EDF. It'd be nice to help someone else through on their first time though.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Ranger is pretty awesome. I got a missile launcher that locks onto ten targets, fires ten missiles, and is ready to go in another two seconds. Plus a 900 shot assault rifle that's basically a laser beam, but it can't be reloaded. Haven't tried it against a hector yet but I plan to tonight.

Haven't tried fencer yet, and I only seem to pick up healing spray weapons with air raider so I'm still using the starter guns with him eight missions in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Top Gym Pumper posted:

Just having a second equipped seems to make the aiming move at half speed, except for like the gatling gun for whatever reason.

If you equip two OF THE SAME TYPE of artillery cannon you'll drastically improve their firing speed. This makes dual wielding cannons absolutely bonkers broken, if somewhat hard to aim. I don't think any class can keep up with Fencers in the DPS race, in the right situations. Think of Wing Divers and Rangers as constant DPS, Air Raider as support and Fencer as MASSIVE OVERWHELMING BURST DPS.

No spoilers, but I beat several of the main story bosses before they were even fully introduced due to dual handcannon spam. Dualing mostly anything as Fencer will give you absolutely hilarious damage output, with the downside of being hard to aim and control. That's why Fencer is the high-technical class. It takes a lot of effort to get the most out of it, but once it gets going, no other class can really compare (except Wing Divers because they're kinda OP)