Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

That P2 Island is pretty cool, I've never seen it before.

I may be biased because it's the set I was first introduced to magic with but I firmly believe that P2 has some of the best classic art despite peoples opinions of the set as a whole. I try to work my old portal lands into every deck I build.

On the subject of vanity/aesthetics in cards I'm also a firm believer in cards you've owned over cards you've bought. They may be over-represented but I love my singular unhinged mountain because it is quite literally the singular mountain I opened out of the single pack of unhinged pack I opened back in the day and buying more almost feels like it'd sully or devalue the one I have aesthetically.

Typhus733 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Count Bleck posted:

I eagerly await Compleated zombie Venser.

Not a walker anymore, he knows how to build that Phyrexian planes walking ship.

Since Karn is 1: a dumbass and 2: in possession of Venser's body, he'll probably do something dumb like try to ressurect him with a shard of the Mirrari and then he'll magically get a spark due yo the trauma of being ressurected and become the Esperwalker of my dreams. :appears:

Actually apparently according to the lore they just left Venser's body with the Phyrexians because ???? So yes Karn is a dumbass. It seems like it's a pretty obvious plot hook to give them an excuse for how Phyrexians are getting places.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Count Bleck posted:

I eagerly await Compleated zombie Venser.

Not a walker anymore, he knows how to build that Phyrexian planes walking ship.

Since Karn is 1: a dumbass and 2: in possession of Venser's body, he'll probably do something dumb like try to ressurect him with a shard of the Mirrari and then he'll magically get a spark due yo the trauma of being ressurected and become the Esperwalker of my dreams. :appears:

Maybe Karn and Nissa will form the ultimate dumbass tag team and try to put the Phyrexians and Eldrazi against each other. What could go wrong?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Bosushi! posted:

Maybe Karn and Nissa will form the ultimate dumbass tag team and try to put the Phyrexians and Eldrazi against each other. What could go wrong?

Phyrexian mana costed Eldrazi!

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

ScarletBrother posted:

Emrakul, Father of Machines

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Bosushi! posted:

I'm so pumped for a 30 mana EMRAKUL, THE ELESH NORN

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

APAC and EURO lands are the best because they are real places I have (mostly, 26/30) been to. They are beautiful but should only be used by the people who have actually been to those places. Otherwise it turns into disappointment when you're hoping to share cool stories about skiing and breaking your leg at Chamonix-Mont Blanc and just getting "oh I just like the art. :geno:"

But, it's not as amusing as people who exclusively get ~cool~ foreign cards but don't know how to read them. Yes that's cool you have a foiled out Japanese legacy deck and it certainly overcomes the fact that you have to consult a judge about the specific wording of a card because you're illiterate. :rolleyes: Now if only Deutsch cards were easier to get.

e: whoah, should've refreshed first

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 19, 2014

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I want a planeswalker that's the scion/avatar of Kozilek, is that cool with everyone? All +1: Target creature gains Annihlator 2.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I have German and Chinese cards but I know exactly what Steel Overseer and Cranial Plating (and Ajani Vengeant and Knight of the Reliquary) do so it's not a problem :colbert:

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

theironjef posted:

I want a planeswalker that's the scion/avatar of Kozilek, is that cool with everyone? All +1: Target creature gains Annihlator 2.

That would be cool, an Eldrazi planeswalker with an ability for each big Eldrazi.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Isn't the whole thing with the Phyrexians that they can't Planeswalk, 'cause if they could they would have taken over the whole multiverse by now?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Entropic posted:

Isn't the whole thing with the Phyrexians that they can't Planeswalk, 'cause if they could they would have taken over the whole multiverse by now?

They couldn't planeswalk as Yawgmoth didn't have the spark. I mean he was more powerful than the old walkers, but he himself lacked the ability to walk. However, if they get their hands on venser, who on top of being a planeswalker was a teleporty mage, its pretty obvious the things they'd be able to do.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

There is nothing inherently impossible about a Phyrexian becoming a planeswalker(Xancha's heartstone lead to Karn being able to 'walk), but there never has been one. So they've had to use planar portals. Whether that tech has been passed on through the oil is an open question.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

jassi007 posted:

Its time for best non-full art basics!

Swamp and Island, no contest ladys and gents.

Personally I love this Plains art, and it does have a full art option as well.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Alaan posted:

There is nothing inherently impossible about a Phyrexian becoming a planeswalker

Phyrexians explicitly can't hold a planeswalker spark.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Basic land chat! As for mountains, I was always really fond of the pointy-as-gently caress ones from Tempest, especially this:

As for forests, the Urza's Saga ones are some of the prettiest non-promo basics they've ever printed:

Chippy's Esper swamp from Shards of Alara is pretty awesome, too:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

tzirean posted:

Phyrexians explicitly can't hold a planeswalker spark.

Karn was built with the heart of a phyrexian and has had two different sparks. It is semantics to say he is not, or was not, a phyrexian. He literally infected Mirrodin from his own heart.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

jassi007 posted:

Karn was built with the heart of a phyrexian and has had two different sparks. It is semantics to say he is not, or was not, a phyrexian. He literally infected Mirrodin from his own heart.

Isn't Karn's first spark still the spark of Glacian (which was in the Weakstone and Mightstone and also the spark of Urza Planeswalker)?

Also Glissa becoming compleated is really sad :/. It's too bad Memnarch was a jerk and tried to take her spark but then Slobad had to use it and then Slobad died.

Shut up I don't follow mtg lore that much okay.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zoness posted:

Isn't Karn's first spark still the spark of Glacian (which was in the Weakstone and Mightstone and also the spark of Urza Planeswalker)?

Also Glissa becoming compleated is really sad :/. It's too bad Memnarch was a jerk and tried to take her spark but then Slobad had to use it and then Slobad died.

Yeah, Karn's spark came from the Weakstone and Mightstone, Karn has the same spark as Urza did, as Urza also didn't naturally have the spark.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Typhus733 posted:

On the subject of vanity/aesthetics in cards I'm also a firm believer in cards you've owned over cards you've bought. They may be over-represented but I love my singular unhinged mountain because it is quite literally the singular mountain I opened out of the single pack of unhinged pack I opened back in the day and buying more almost feels like it'd sully or devalue the one I have aesthetically.

I don't mean to be pedantic, but I'm having trouble seeing the difference. Didn't you buy the pack that contained that Unhinged Mountain?

I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm not comprehending why "owning" is different from "buying," since you basically have to buy in order to own. Right?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Some Numbers posted:

I don't mean to be pedantic, but I'm having trouble seeing the difference. Didn't you buy the pack that contained that Unhinged Mountain?

I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm not comprehending why "owning" is different from "buying," since you basically have to buy in order to own. Right?

Yeah, if by 'owning' he means 'opened in a booster pack', then I own zero of my cards.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I might own a handful of cards I got in a draft a while back, but the vast majority of my collection - including my basics - have been acquired through purchasing, donation or draft-remains scavenging.

I guess I don't own any Magic cards. :(

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
I won't lie there is some value to me in cards I myself opened from boosters but I'm also a sentimental bastard. The Jace I opened up in a WWK pack is the singleton Jace left in my Deathblade deck and the Foil MMA Sword of Fire and Ice I opened makes it really hard to cut SOFI from Deathblade.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Some Numbers posted:

Richard Garfield believed people would buy a starter and about about $20 of boosters and thats how everyone would play magic more or less, as a one time $30 investment and maybe con them into buying a few boosters of an expansion later. So I'm pretty sure he is someone who hews pretty hard to that vision. You play with the cards you crack open and make the best decks you can within your playgroup.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

jassi007 posted:

Richard Garfield believed people would buy a starter and about about $20 of boosters and thats how everyone would play magic more or less, as a one time $30 investment and maybe con them into buying a few boosters of an expansion later. So I'm pretty sure he is someone who hews pretty hard to that vision. You play with the cards you crack open and make the best decks you can within your playgroup.

I don't think I need to explain how wrong he ended up being...

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Zoness posted:

Yeah. My point is basically karn was a robot built with the same heart/soul piece that phyrexians are made with, then he got a spark. He was more or less a sleeper phyrexian agent from day 1, and he got a spark. His glistening oil leaked out here and there, the Mirrari was an infected space probe basically, then he built that into memnarch who did all sorts of lovely things on Argentum/Mirrodin, he boiled him down to the Mirrari again, then post Time Spiral Karn realized he was corrupt, start planeswalking away but stupidly went back to Mirrodin which basically spelled its doom.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

jassi007 posted:

Yeah. My point is basically karn was a robot built with the same heart/soul piece that phyrexians are made with, then he got a spark. He was more or less a sleeper phyrexian agent from day 1, and he got a spark. His glistening oil leaked out here and there, the Mirrari was an infected space probe basically, then he built that into memnarch who did all sorts of lovely things on Argentum/Mirrodin, he boiled him down to the Mirrari again, then post Time Spiral Karn realized he was corrupt, start planeswalking away but stupidly went back to Mirrodin which basically spelled its doom.

Magic lore is so loving convoluted.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

ScarletBrother posted:

It'd be awesome (and probably also terrible) to have Phyrexian Eldrazi mana where you have big colorless Eldrazi for which you can pay 2 life per 1 colorless mana for any amount of their mana cost. Potentially cast huge legends starting from turn 1 as long as you can somehow pony up the >20 life required.

Yes, I realize this would make EDH poo poo bricks :getin:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

jassi007 posted:

And that's fine as a vision of an untested game back in 1993. You know, before the internet. 20 years later, Magic is a completely different animal. Kitchen table players obviously still exist and in much bigger quantities than any of us can fathom and those players probably do exactly what Garfield intended.

If that's what Typhus meant, the idea that someone else's collection is somehow purer and superior to mine because it's not sullied by multiple copies of the same card that I bought at a shop...that's just a bizarre concept to me.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

JerryLee posted:

It'd be awesome (and probably also terrible) to have Phyrexian Eldrazi mana where you have big colorless Eldrazi for which you can pay 2 life per 1 colorless mana for any amount of their mana cost. Potentially cast huge legends starting from turn 1 as long as you can somehow pony up the >20 life required.

Yes, I realize this would make EDH poo poo bricks :getin:

As long as it didn't have protection from all colors it'd be ok. 10 or 15 phyrexian mana 10/10 or 15/15, sure fine take 20 or 30. path it, chainers edict, etc.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ScarletBrother posted:

Magic lore is so loving convoluted.

And if there ever is a movie, none of that lore will show up in it, and five or six nerds are gonna be sooooo mad.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Entropic posted:

And if there ever is a movie, none of that lore will show up in it, and five or six nerds are gonna be sooooo mad.

There might be a few easter eggs, like the Mirari showing up on someone's bookshelf, but yeah you're totally right.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Entropic posted:

It will be me. I will be the nerd who is mad.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Some Numbers posted:

And that's fine as a vision of an untested game back in 1993. You know, before the internet. 20 years later, Magic is a completely different animal. Kitchen table players obviously still exist and in much bigger quantities than any of us can fathom and those players probably do exactly what Garfield intended.

If that's what Typhus meant, the idea that someone else's collection is somehow purer and superior to mine because it's not sullied by multiple copies of the same card that I bought at a shop...that's just a bizarre concept to me.

Me too but that is how those casual people that make up the majority of the people who buy magic, thats them. Its just like a unicorn wandered into our meadow, thats why it seems weird. Most people who play like that never interact with any magic community at all, FNM or forums and so on because those tend to be more serious or competitively minded.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

jassi007 posted:

The Phyrexian population is also wildly divergent from the originals. Instead of just churning programmed fantasy androids out of goo vats, a lot of their population is corrupted Mirrans.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Think of every collectible/board/card game that follows that model that didn't become your favorite hobby a la Magic. Your buying habits probably resemble what Richard had intended.

He didn't expect that people wouldn't just like Magic, they'd loving love it with the kind of intensity only autist manchildren can have towards consumer goods.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Some Numbers posted:

Pretty sure he wasn't saying his cards were superior. I get exactly what he is saying. There are some cards I have that I've owned as long as I can remember and thus are special to me. That 6th ed vampiric tutor I opened from a booster when I was 15 means more to me than one that I may have bought on Ebay. It doesn't seem bizarre to me at all.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Alaan posted:

The Phyrexian population is also wildly divergent from the originals. Instead of just churning programmed fantasy androids out of goo vats, a lot of their population is corrupted Mirrans.

Corrupted is the term used by Mirran propagandists. We prefer the term compleated. Would you like to undergo compleation?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The thing I like most about the Magic lore is that I can completely ignore it and still play the game since it has no actual gameplay impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

LeafHouse posted:

Pretty sure he wasn't saying his cards were superior. I get exactly what he is saying. There are some cards I have that I've owned as long as I can remember and thus are special to me. That 6th ed vampiric tutor I opened from a booster when I was 15 means more to me than one that I may have bought on Ebay. It doesn't seem bizarre to me at all.

This is such a weird mindset for me to see. I mean, Im sure I'm a minority here, but there aren't any particular cards that I have an emotional connection to, yeah I mean some are cool,and I don't want to lose them because they would be expensive to replace but it's like getting emotionally connected to a scrabble tile.

• Locked thread