Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice
Looks like I'm moving from the 3rd generation iPad to an iPad Air. I loved my old Smart Case, mainly because I could fold the cover back, but it would stay in place magnetically, so I could hold my iPad with my left hand. It seems that the new Smart Case for iPad Air doesn't allow for this due to the Tri-Fold vs. Quad-Fold nature of the case.

Does anyone have some case suggestions that will allow me to hold it with one hand properly? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

DoktorLoken posted:

Google Maps and FB do in background update. I've disabled them, we'll see what happens. Nothing else using location services actively.

It's not just apps there's an option below all those, at the bottom, for apple services (you can turn off targeted ads etc here), for me it was using WiFi like a motherfucker for some reason and I disabled that and it fixed everything.
There's a purple arrow that tells you when something has used GPS battery recently too.

If that doesn't help, you might try turning off the animations and reducing motion of iOS 7, but in my experience that doesn't add that much battery on a phone.

Just curious but what is bad battery life on the Retina Mini?

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god

Pappyland posted:

Looks like I'm moving from the 3rd generation iPad to an iPad Air. I loved my old Smart Case, mainly because I could fold the cover back, but it would stay in place magnetically, so I could hold my iPad with my left hand. It seems that the new Smart Case for iPad Air doesn't allow for this due to the Tri-Fold vs. Quad-Fold nature of the case.

Does anyone have some case suggestions that will allow me to hold it with one hand properly? Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/INVELLOP-Black-Leatherette-Cover-Generation/dp/B00FAMAQQG

This guy has a magnet in the back of the case that will let you one-hand it.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

My favorite iPad case (Zero-Chroma Vario-SC) is coming to the air in a week or so. I'm pretty excited. Having a 360 degree adjustable kickstand on a slim-profile case is so incredibly useful. http://zerochroma.com/

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I have:

1) An iPad
2) A first-gen Airport Express
3) A Brother HL-2240 printer

Is it possible for me to print to the Brother printer with this combination or should I just sell it and buy an AirPrint-capable printer?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

terre packet posted:

I have:

1) An iPad

Is it possible for me to print to the Brother printer with this combination or should I just sell it and buy an AirPrint-capable printer?

Nope. The printer sharing in the Airport Express isn't AirPrint compatible. You'd need a different printer.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

Nope. The printer sharing in the Airport Express isn't AirPrint compatible. You'd need a different printer.
Or a computer on the network to run some AirPrint service.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

terre packet posted:

I have:

1) An iPad

Plug the printer into a computer running fingerprint and it'll turn any printer into an airplay printer.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
If I get an iPad through Best Buy do I still get that first year of AppleCare like I do with buying directly from Apple?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

fookolt posted:

If I get an iPad through Best Buy do I still get that first year of AppleCare like I do with buying directly from Apple?

Why would you think this?

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

What? You don't get a year of Apple Care, you just get 1 year warranty standard. That should apply no matter where you buy it from (assuming you're buying it now from some retailer anyway)... Unless I'm missing something here.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Well, it sounds like I'm getting my terms mixed up. Is that 1 year standard warranty the same thing as AppleCare?

roofus619
Dec 7, 2005

Brain eating? Hmmmmm, That's pretty unusual
An Apple device is covered by 1 year of standard AppleCare, regardless of where it was purchased. However, AppleCare does not cover accidental damage for that, you would need to get AppleCare+, which I believe needs to be purchased directly from Apple at time of purchase.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

roofus619 posted:

An Apple device is covered by 1 year of standard AppleCare, regardless of where it was purchased. However, AppleCare does not cover accidental damage for that, you would need to get AppleCare+, which I believe needs to be purchased directly from Apple at time of purchase.

Thanks; this is what I was looking for. I've only gotten MacBooks from Apple and didn't realize they also had a premium AppleCare+ thing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you take your iPad into an Apple store within 30 days you can still get AppleCare+.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Endless Mike posted:

If you take your iPad into an Apple store within 30 days you can still get AppleCare+.

Or if you live a set distance away from any Apple stores you can do it over the phone. They have 5-6 stores in Vancouver but none in the rest of the province. :argh:

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
I have an iPad 2 courtesy of work. However, I'm thinking of picking up either the Air or Retina Mini for personal use.

Although I have an Xbox, it seems nowadays I prefer gaming on the iPad. More casual stuff, I guess.

Although I like the iPad 2, I feel the form factor of the Retina Mini will suit me better, especially as the specs remain the same as with the Air. My real question is how people have found the smaller screen when gaming? Taking titles as, say, The Room or XCOM as examples of that?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Mewcenary posted:

I have an iPad 2 courtesy of work. However, I'm thinking of picking up either the Air or Retina Mini for personal use.

Although I have an Xbox, it seems nowadays I prefer gaming on the iPad. More casual stuff, I guess.

Although I like the iPad 2, I feel the form factor of the Retina Mini will suit me better, especially as the specs remain the same as with the Air. My real question is how people have found the smaller screen when gaming? Taking titles as, say, The Room or XCOM as examples of that?

I've been gaming with a Retina Mini for a few months now, and find it great; in particular, for titles that require a bit more action/input, I found the smaller screen to be a bit of an advantage; less distance for my hand to move to hit various targets improved my reaction time just a little bit.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AQT653G/

Amazon currently has this on sale

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

JHVH-1 posted:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AQT653G/

Amazon currently has this on sale

The reviews. :allears:

quote:

I can't tell you how much my quality of life has improved.
Often I would poop, and in the heat of the moment, blindly grab my iPad and start wiping.
What a mess!
And AppleCare apparently doesn't count poop as an 'Act of God'.
I disagree, and have written the Vatican for clarification.
But now, FINALLY, I have the means to distinctly separate and identify the TP and the iPad.
(Which is great- I'm tired of cleaning the charger port with a toothpick.)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I have an iPad 2 through work, and with iOS 7 it's just at the point of being unusable. Have others noticed this as well? I have the graphic stuff turned off.

Just a shame since it worked great overall with iOS 6.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Pappyland posted:

Do you mean folding the cover into a triangle to use as a handgrip? Because that still works fine.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Duckman2008 posted:

I have an iPad 2 through work, and with iOS 7 it's just at the point of being unusable. Have others noticed this as well? I have the graphic stuff turned off.

Just a shame since it worked great overall with iOS 6.

No. I have an ipad 2 too and it works great on 7. Pretty much all I do on it is web browse and watch videos/netflix though.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
At this point, Apple is kind of notorious though for crippling older hardware - intentionally or not - with new versions of iOS. Heck, since installing iOS 6 on my fourth-gen Touch, the iPod's become slower and slower to the point that I NEED the company to upgrade the Touch line this year.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

roofus619 posted:

1 year of hardware warranty, not 1 year of Applecare. Applecare includes phone support in addition to the hardware warranty, and on a new device where you haven't purchased Applecare that's limited to 90 days. Buying an Applecare plan extends both the warranty and the phone support to 2 years. And the warranty is the same whether bought at Best Buy or Apple as Digital Jesus said.

You can buy an Applecare+ plan on an iPad bought at Best Buy no problem, just need to bring the device in to an Apple Store for inspection or apparently run an app that validates the iPad in working over the phone within 30 days. You may be able to get Applecare non-plus after 30 days but I can't find any info on it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nihiliste posted:

At this point, Apple is kind of notorious though for crippling older hardware - intentionally or not - with new versions of iOS. Heck, since installing iOS 6 on my fourth-gen Touch, the iPod's become slower and slower to the point that I NEED the company to upgrade the Touch line this year.
Note that 7.1 supposedly improves performance across the line, iOS 7 has got some issues even on the newest hardware. Hopefully it'll come out soon.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think it was here that someone recommended this stand for iPads. This was about a month or so ago (took forever to ship). Anyways, it finally got here today and it is pretty drat awesome and suiting my needs of keeping the iPad in place on my desk.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Do the people complaining about the modern smart cover and smart cases just not realize that you fold the triangle with the leather on the inside? That is the only way it will fail for me. Also the smart case holds the flap against the back of the case via a magnet, it may not work very well in stiff new cases but once that flap has suppled up a bit it works well.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The newer ones feel weaker than the old ones that had more folds on it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The newer ones also have this weird flare-out design at the edges that just seem kinda un-apple and unsleek.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 20, 2014

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
The old hinge was also better. The old Smart Cover was just better period. Folded in half on itself was THE poo poo. I miss it. :'(

Dirk Funk
Mar 17, 2009
Just got an iPad Air.

The guy at the T-Mobile store said I could do multiple user accounts on it and it turns out that isn't true.

Is there any way I can set up some types of restrictions that can be turned on and off?

Why wouldn't Apple support multiple accounts? I figured it being 2014 and all that this would be a given. I can't return it now without a restocking fee if I wanted something else instead.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Considering the guy lied to you about the capabilities of the product you probably have a case to get the restocking fee waived. That being said, there are Restrictions you can enable/disable in Settings -> General -> Restrictions. You can also use separate Apple ID's for iCloud, iMessage, and the App Store.

Dirk Funk
Mar 17, 2009
All I really want to do is create some type of separate use case/mode so I can have other people use the tablet without being able to access personal info of mine.

I know I can look log out of things, clear data, etc. but it would be nice to not have to. If I could have one part behind a pass code and another not that would be perfect. However, if there is some way I can do what I want in another way I'll do it.

I got this because I needed a 4G tablet with a larger screen. It was this or the Galaxy and I chose this.

edit: If this isn't possible I will just have to not really use this tablet for anything as it's main purpose was to be for other people's use in my part time job/business.

Dirk Funk fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 19, 2014

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Unfortunately I don't think there's a well supported way of doing that aside from constantly logging out of things. Mail, Contacts, Calendars are all just accounts you set up in settings and cannot be passcoded, so if you don't want someone reading your mail or looking at your calendar then you'd have to disable those each time you hand it off.

Some apps (like banking apps, etc.) have their own capability to be passcoded so they cannot be accessed unless you know the passcode, but that is implemented on a per-app basis.

The restrictions options in Settings really only cover certain things you want disabled on the device, like whether apps can be installed or deleted, and whether the iTunes Store can be used, etc. These can be useful for locking it down if there are certain settings you don't want changed when other people are using the device.

Dirk Funk
Mar 17, 2009
I don't have a card linked to the store so I'm good there. I don't have email linked can just use webmail if I want to do that. I guess I can do the same for Facebook in using the website and not the app.

Can you set up the browser so it deletes all cookies and things like that upon closing?

edit: Also, can you make it so the app store requires a password to make any purchases?

Dirk Funk fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 20, 2014

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
In Restrictions you can set it up so the app store always requires a password. For the browser, if you browse in Private mode it will not save any cookies or history when you switch it back to regular mode.

Dirk Funk
Mar 17, 2009
That works.

I've been poking around and I think this might work for me. Like I said I won't install apps like Facebook and keep that all to the browser.

Is it possible to password lock specific apps or folders through iOS or a third party app? If I can do that then I will be set.

Dirk Funk fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 20, 2014

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Dirk Funk posted:

That works.

I've been poking around and I think this might work for me. Like I said I won't install apps like Facebook and keep that all to the browser.

Is it possible to password lock specific apps or folders through iOS or a third party app? If I can do that then I will be set.

Just turn on Kiosk mode when you need to hand off the iPad: http://www.webascender.com/Blog/ID/447/How-to-Setup-Kiosk-Mode-Lock-Your-iPad-to-Just-One-App

Apple Support Doc on Guided Access: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5509?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

You can grab any number of third party web browser apps that can maintain a separate web history to keep people from viewing yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

ddogflex posted:

The old hinge was also better. The old Smart Cover was just better period. Folded in half on itself was THE poo poo. I miss it. :'(

Why? The new Smart Cover seems perfectly good, what was better about the old one?