Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

South Korea appears to be more of a Pepsi country than a Coke one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I like Germany's roundel and laziness- "Yeah, we use the same insignia for our air force and army, what of it?"

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Kavak posted:

I like Germany's roundel and laziness- "Yeah, we use the same insignia for our air force and army, what of it?"

They're just 'growing the brand'.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

There's a bigger list of historical air forces on Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_air_forces

Some of the roundels seem totally impractical – I don't think I could tell between Egypt, Syria, and Yemen in the air.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Well, at least the Albanians are consistent.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Some of the roundels seem totally impractical – I don't think I could tell between Egypt, Syria, and Yemen in the air.

Not sure if this is tongue in cheek, but for a while they were all one country, the United Arab Republic.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A bit buzzwordy about technology and crowdsourcing, but this lecture has a lot of history about politically-loaded maps, so I figure it fits here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9HHWEpAVFU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Um, so do Senegal and Gambia have one unified airforce or something?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

the jizz taxi posted:

Um, so do Senegal and Gambia have one unified airforce or something?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senegambia

edit: From 1982-89 there was an attempt at unifying Senegal and The Gambia, as The Gambia is completely surrounded by Senegal.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Dude where's Las Vegas on that map?!

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

DarkCrawler posted:

Dude where's Las Vegas on that map?!

It looks like several cities were left out to keep an even 50/50 balance. Denver is missing as well.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Australia, NZ, and Canada are cute together :3:

And our weird step sibling, South Africa.

Though I'll always have a soft spot for the Dominican "Our Roundel is Literally a Target to Aim At" Republic.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Hey, didn't we discuss this map already in this thread? Or was it the GOP thread? I swear this map was posted already on this board in the last week.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Kavak posted:

To be fair, it is badass.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Hey, didn't we discuss this map already in this thread? Or was it the GOP thread? I swear this map was posted already on this board in the last week.

It was in this thread, that's why I thought it was a photoshop of the original, but nope, just a repost.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

El Scotch posted:

To be fair, it is badass.

But it's not even particularly round :argh:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Some countries' lousy flags make for great air force roundels, while some cool flags make rather dull roundels. And some lazy countries just reuse their whole flag - how am I gonna identify all those Malawian fighter jets now?

Australia, NZ, and Canada are cute together :3:

Senegambia? Is this old or weirdly anachronistic?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Golbez posted:

Senegambia? Is this old or weirdly anachronistic?

Old, I'd imagine. It's got Zaire and Yugoslavia (presumably at the point where Yugoslavia no longer really existed but Serbia was still calling itself that) and "Serb Rep." (which I assume is this) on it, too.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 20, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I like how Mozambique just had to stuff all the symbols from the flag on it. Not hating on their actual flag though, it's pretty bitchin' on a real flag.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Do countries like Malawi even have an air force?

e: I guess they do:

quote:

The Malawi Air Force was established with German help in 1976, and operates a small number of transport aircraft and multi-purpose helicopters.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Phlegmish posted:

Do countries like Malawi even have an air force?

e: I guess they do:

Even if you don't have any funding (or need) for jet fighters, a couple helicopters for S&R and transport planes for general "hauling poo poo around" is always handy and you might as well spin em off into an independent force.

Do most countries do like the US and have the chief executive's aircraft be nominally part of the air force?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Selection bias dot png

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

The South African rondel is based on the Castle of Good Hope. It's a star fort in Cape Town and one of the oldest buildings, if not the oldest building in South Africa.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

chairface posted:

Even if you don't have any funding (or need) for jet fighters, a couple helicopters for S&R and transport planes for general "hauling poo poo around" is always handy and you might as well spin em off into an independent force.

Do most countries do like the US and have the chief executive's aircraft be nominally part of the air force?

Most countries don't have an aircraft for the chief executive, but have a small jet for all dignitaries who may need it or just charter a private jet instead of owning one. Some countries have their air force ferry the head of state or the government around, but the planes may be used for other things when not needed. Pretty much only the POTUS travels around so often with such an enormous entourage that he needs a jet of his own that's 100% on standby (with a spare in the hangar just in case).

Whether the POTUS really needs a custom 747 of his or her own is a different discussion altogether, but it really isn't the international standard.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Feb 20, 2014

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Afriscipio posted:

The South African rondel is based on the Castle of Good Hope. It's a star fort in Cape Town and one of the oldest buildings, if not the oldest building in South Africa.

Man, I just thought it was a shuriken. Flying death!

Also Nepal totally looks like the devil's own air force, even if it isn't a pentagram.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

:pervert:

Edit: Oh, here, have a link: http://www.nerve.com/love-sex/which-states-have-the-longest-and-shortest-sex

Scipio Africanus
Dec 4, 2005

Enslave the Elephants!

Antti posted:

Most countries don't have an aircraft for the chief executive, but have a small jet for all dignitaries who may need it or just charter a private jet instead of owning one. Some countries have their air force ferry the head of state or the government around, but the planes may be used for other things when not needed. Pretty much only the POTUS travels around so often with such an enormous entourage that he needs a jet of his own that's 100% on standby (with a spare in the hangar just in case).

Whether the POTUS really needs a custom 747 of his or her own is a different discussion altogether, but it really isn't the international standard.

The 747s are starting to show their age, and it looks like the updated 747-8 or the A380 will replace them. Boeing first proposed their 787 as the next Air Force One:

Smaller but much more efficient. The loss of space wouldn't have been such a big deal since even with the 747 they still have to send cargo planes ahead of time with limos, helicopters, bulletproof podiums and the rest of the Presidential accessories.

Here's Obama's foreign travels as president, with shading indicating how many times he's traveled there:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Scipio Africanus posted:

Here's Obama's foreign travels as president, with shading indicating how many times he's traveled there:

He's never actually been to Kenya during his Presidency?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Scipio Africanus posted:

The 747s are starting to show their age, and it looks like the updated 747-8 or the A380 will replace them. Boeing first proposed their 787 as the next Air Force One:
Crossing fingers for a European plane for an American president. :v:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Crossing fingers for a European plane for an American president. :v:

There would be such a shitstorm if this happened.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

Nah, Kenya actually got pretty annoyed about it last year when Obama quite deliberately snubbed them on his tour of Africa. It's understandable though, the Kenyan President is on trial for crimes against humanity so I don't think Obama would be too keen for any photo-ops with him.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Ofaloaf posted:

"Why hasn't the pResident visited Kenya during his reign? What's he trying to hide??? Is he afraid to visit his place of birth?"

Just asking questions here.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Thump! posted:

"Why hasn't the pResident visited Kenya during his reign? What's he trying to hide??? Is he afraid to visit his place of birth?"

Just asking questions here.

It really makes me think.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

kustomkarkommando posted:

the Kenyan President is on trial for crimes against humanity

For a second I was confused and thought this was a Fox News thing.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

I'm kind of stunned Obama apparently hasn't visited Belgium as well. You'd think he'd at least have showed up at one summit or the other in Brussels.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

the jizz taxi posted:

I'm kind of stunned Obama apparently hasn't visited Belgium as well. You'd think he'd at least have showed up at one summit or the other in Brussels.

I don't think America is in the EU.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
In Belgium's also NATO HQ.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

For a second I was confused and thought this was a Fox News thing.

:foxnews: Obamacare: A Crime Against Humanity or Humanity's Greatest Crime? :foxnews:

Jay Ulfelder, a Conflict Forecaster who works for the US Center for the Prevention of Genocide, has published his annual Coup Forecast attempting to identify countries at risk of a Coup. Here's his map with countries seperated into quintiles:

Here's a different version using a grayscale system instead

Here's his rankings for individual countries:

For notes on his metholodgy and other stuff check out his blogpost:
http://dartthrowingchimp.wordpress.com/2014/01/25/coup-forecasts-for-2014/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

the jizz taxi posted:

I thought so as well, but it was Hillary Clinton who visited several years ago.
However, it seems that Obama will visit Belgium in March, so have fun commuting there.