Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was reading up on bullpup-design firearms, and it occurred to me: Are there any weapons (any weapon across history, not just firearms) that are/were designed specifically for lefties?

Yeah, these weapons right here

were made for this leftie mofo:

though you could argue that they were originally designed for use by a paraplegic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Fangz posted:

But at this point it's unlikely the 2 million figure will ever at this point be either debunked or confirmed. This is unlike the stuff like the holocaust casualties, because I think well documented studies *were* carried out (not least because it was politically convenient to do so), and we know pretty well that there's millions of people missing. I think it's fairly justified to be at least somewhat skeptical of the rape figure. It would not be the first time that a dodgy factoid has become commonly believed history even amongst respectable people. In such a case, I would not say that Beevor etc was lying and certainly not lying purposefully. He simply used an easily available number and (IMO) did not give it the heavy caveats it deserved.

There were six million Soviet troops in the Red Army in 1945, I don't see why you're finding that figure so unbelievable? And even if it isn't accurate, Allied war crimes in WW2, even Soviet, are so undertold that it seems in really poor taste to be fighting against that. Maybe in 40 years when everybody involved is dead it'll be safer to step back from it all, but WW2 is still such an emotional subject today.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
The whole discussion looks to be in pretty poor taste IMO. Do you guys arguing about potential sourcing problems even know the full historiography behind the subject?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
10 or 15 years ago you could ask your grandparents around here what happened when the Red Army came.

I really have trouble to put this in the right way, but the stuff that you have a hard time to believe or have sourcing problems is told first hand in basically every family that managed to talk about it. And we're talking about a country that was officially "liberated" from the Germans, not about Germany itself. So you can take a wild guess about Berlin.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

quote:

There were six million Soviet troops in the Red Army in 1945, I don't see why you're finding that figure so unbelievable? And even if it isn't accurate, Allied war crimes in WW2, even Soviet, are so undertold that it seems in really poor taste to be fighting against that. Maybe in 40 years when everybody involved is dead it'll be safer to step back from it all, but WW2 is still such an emotional subject today.

There were 4 million US troops in the European theatre and the accepted number of rapes there (accepted in the West, anyway) is apparently about 10k. Logistically, it is possible, for sure. But that doesn't mean the 2 million figure actually has any backing. And if people use the fact that it's allegedly 2 million to argue that there is a qualitative difference - 'rape on an industrial scale', draw conclusions about e.g. STAVKA being opposed to it or not, then the number - and where it comes from - starts to matter.

JaucheCharly posted:

10 or 15 years ago you could ask your grandparents around here what happened when the Red Army came.

I really have trouble to put this in the right way, but the stuff that you have a hard time to believe or have sourcing problems is told first hand in basically every family that managed to talk about it. And we're talking about a country that was officially "liberated" from the Germans, not about Germany itself. So you can take a wild guess about Berlin.

Every family that managed to talk about it? I think you need something to back up that assertion.

It's very obvious that this is a touchy subject. I'm just saying that people need to be cautious.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 18, 2014

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Fangz posted:

It's very obvious that this is a touchy subject. I'm just saying that people need to be cautious.

Proper handling of sources is Hist101. What are you arguing against?

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

JaucheCharly posted:

I'm sure the Red Army also had strict rules about consuming alcohol.

Yes, anyone caught not drinking after lights out would be sent to Siberia.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Koesj posted:

Proper handling of sources is Hist101. What are you arguing against?

Believing in a number just because it was in a book by Beevor, and has anecdotal support?

If you know more of the historiography of the subject, maybe you could share?

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 18, 2014

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

JaucheCharly posted:

This kind of long-after-the-fact oral history is not a reliable method for statistical analysis, especially for things that have such a communal or collective significance.

Koesj posted:

The whole discussion looks to be in pretty poor taste IMO. Do you guys arguing about potential sourcing problems even know the full historiography behind the subject?

I don't think there's anything wrong with treating it carefully, soundly, and respectfully but there's an awful lot of Goon Speculation going on here which is none of those so I'm gonna ask yall to drop it.

To keep things going, can someone tell me about Touissant L'Oueverture? What kind of problems did he face in combat, how did he employ his forces, and what external political difficulties did he face in prosecuting war?

I know almost nothing about him so anything would be helpful.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Fangz posted:

Believing in a number just because it was in a book by Beevor, and has anecdotal support?

Ivan's War describes a number of tens of thousands as "undoubtedly" and notes that it "may well have reached" hundreds of thousands. Cites are to Barbara Johr's work, Norman Naimark's Russians in Germany, Helker Sander, 'Remembering/Forgetting', October, 72, spring 1995, p. 21, and NKVD statistics on venereal disease just after the war.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Aren't there a few service rifles that eject shells straight forward/down?

Yes. The FN P90 is the classic example (mostly because Stargate), which ejects spent cartridges downwards, and is designed to be fully ambidextrous without modification (magazine release and the charging handle are on both sides, firing selector in the grip). Similar story with its sort-of successor, the F2000, which ejects cartridges upwards and to the right, and is again fully ambidextrous.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 18, 2014

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Yes. The FN P90 is the classic example (mostly because Stargate), which ejects spent cartridges downwards, and is designed to be fully ambidextrous without modification (all the switches and bolt assist are on both sides). Similar story with its sort-of successor, the F2000, which ejects cartridges upwards and to the right, and is again fully ambidextrous.

there's also the Kel-Tec RFB which, though not a service rifle, ejects cartridges forward. It's badly made though (because lol keltec) and really I think it's not a very good idea anyway.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

No, I would think the P90 downwards ejection would be the way to go, especially because if you could have it ejecting behind centre of mass it might counteract muzzle rise a little bit. But I know very little about guns, so that might be super difficult to engineer (on top of the already screwy top loading mechanism), and I could see hot brass being dropped on to your boots/ground right next to your hands if prone being super annoying.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Fangz posted:

There were 4 million US troops in the European theatre and the accepted number of rapes there (accepted in the West, anyway) is apparently about 10k. Logistically, it is possible, for sure. But that doesn't mean the 2 million figure actually has any backing. And if people use the fact that it's allegedly 2 million to argue that there is a qualitative difference - 'rape on an industrial scale', draw conclusions about e.g. STAVKA being opposed to it or not, then the number - and where it comes from - starts to matter.

Every family that managed to talk about it? I think you need something to back up that assertion.

Carefully read again what I wrote:

JaucheCharly posted:

...basically every family that managed to talk about it.

The emphasis is on "managed". If you're really interested in a number or where it came from, then you can lend out the titles that were mentioned. There is a whole complex of books that probably are only available in German. At the library of my uni, there are numerous books about the occupation here.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So we all know the depressing fate of the Soviet POW captured by Nazi Germany in the 2nd World War, but what was the fate of the Russians who surrendered in the First World War?

How many returned to Russia? how much emigrated else where or settled in Germany/Eastern Europe? how much went right into the Russian Civil War?

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

No, I would think the P90 downwards ejection would be the way to go, especially because if you could have it ejecting behind centre of mass it might counteract muzzle rise a little bit.

center-of-mass isn't really the term you want but i know what you mean, and any influence that would have on muzzle rise would be marginal at best.

quote:

But I know very little about guns, so that might be super difficult to engineer (on top of the already screwy top loading mechanism), and I could see hot brass being dropped on to your boots/ground right next to your hands if prone being super annoying.

The RFB is a bottom-loader that pushes the spent cartridge cases up into a tube above the barrel and relies on other spent casings to push these out the front of the rifle, though they will fall out normally if you tilt the rifle downward.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

center-of-mass isn't really the term you want but i know what you mean,

I'm pretty sure that it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_of_mass

quote:

and any influence that would have on muzzle rise would be marginal at best.

This is almost certainly true though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Phobophilia posted:

Yeah, but that's a helicopter and they're good at standing in place as a stable firing platform. A harrier or an F35 sounds like a terrible idea for pulling this off.
It's a tilt-rotor VTOL, not a helicopter.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

How comparatively hard would it be to train up the smallest operational unit of AQ or the IRA? What is that unit anyway? I'm assuming a 4-10 man squad.
One guy, and he just needs to learn how to make his first shot count or how to drop a bag without being noticed. They are not the same kind of "unit" that turns up in regular militaries.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Raenir Salazar posted:

I thought the Harrier kinda filled an important strategic niche for Britain nu? Its not like they could afford super carriers.

Britain's baby-carriers were certainly better than nothing, but that doesn't change the fact that powered-lift is dumb and dangerous, and single-engine powered-lift is borderline suicidal.

Besides, CATOBAR carriers don't HAVE to be a thousand feet long, and weight a hundred thousand tons. We simply choose to build them that way, to fulfill our specific needs. France built a perfectly serviceable ~40,000 ton nuclear carrier. Can it do all the things a Nimitz can do? No, but it's light years ahead of an Invincible.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

MrYenko posted:

Britain's baby-carriers were certainly better than nothing, but that doesn't change the fact that powered-lift is dumb and dangerous, and single-engine powered-lift is borderline suicidal.

Besides, CATOBAR carriers don't HAVE to be a thousand feet long, and weight a hundred thousand tons. We simply choose to build them that way, to fulfill our specific needs. France built a perfectly serviceable ~40,000 ton nuclear carrier. Can it do all the things a Nimitz can do? No, but it's light years ahead of an Invincible.

Which makes me wonder why the British went with a Skijump design for the QEs. The whole thing ties them to the success of the F-35B to an unreasonable degree. If they had gone CATOBAR they would have had the option of running Rafales (and France would probably throw in a years supply of tea for every sailor on the ship, too) or F-18s. If they really want a stealth-ish fighter to fly off their carrier, they could still get the F-35C.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of baby carriers, one of the hypothetical scenarios for War in the Pacific has this:

It's called a "flight cruiser", carries 40 aircraft, is "only" 16 000 tons (compared to the 25 000 USS Enterprise), but also packs four 7.5 inch guns.

Was there a real-but-never-built design of this concept, or was the modder just making something up wholesale?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

gradenko_2000 posted:

Speaking of baby carriers, one of the hypothetical scenarios for War in the Pacific has this:

It's called a "flight cruiser", carries 40 aircraft, is "only" 16 000 tons (compared to the 25 000 USS Enterprise), but also packs four 7.5 inch guns.

Was there a real-but-never-built design of this concept, or was the modder just making something up wholesale?

Reminds me of the initial configuration of the HMS Furious, a battlecruiser the British built during the First World War. When the ship was mostly complete they removed the forward guns and added a small flight deck, making it one of the first dedicated aircraft carriers. Unfortunately, while taking off wasn't particularly difficult, landing was neigh-suicidal, as aircraft had to fly through the turbulent exhaust and then slip in front of the ship's superstructure for landing. As this setup ended up killing multiple pilots, they eventually removed the rear turrets as well to put in a rear flight deck, though landing was still difficult due to the turbulence caused by the ship's superstructure and exhaust. Given the Furious's difficulties, I can't even imagine anyone wanting to repeat that experience.

Just look at that mutant.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Behold Imperial Japanese Navy carrier battleship Ise.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Behold Imperial Japanese Navy carrier battleship Ise.

Amusingly I've been somewhat convinced that that was an actual upgrade because WWI battleship guns weren't as useful to the IJN as another place to put planes, especially scout planes in the air from. Very goofy looking though, and the concrete to replace the weight of the turrets never fails to amuse me.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

xthetenth posted:

Amusingly I've been somewhat convinced that that was an actual upgrade because WWI battleship guns weren't as useful to the IJN as another place to put planes, especially scout planes in the air from. Very goofy looking though, and the concrete to replace the weight of the turrets never fails to amuse me.
In true Japanese fashion, the Ise was able to carry and launch 22 aircraft, but had no provision to allow landings.

They instead had floats, and were expected to land in the water and be craned aboard; the ship would do a hard turn, creating a calm spot in its lee for them to land in. But the Japanese ran out of planes, and even if they had managed to build enough, they didn't have any pilots, so it was all fruitless. US did similar, mounting a pair of seaplane catapults on the fantail of the Iowa class, though Iowa's aircraft were for spotting not attack.

grover fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 19, 2014

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've recently heard Dan Carlin's mongols podcast and it seems that Europe was saved because Genghis Khan's successor Ögedei drank shitload of booze and it shortened his lifespan significantly. That ended in 5 years long interregnum and later on Mongols seemed more interested in fighting each other than subduing rest of Europe. Are there any other instances where world history was dramatically shifted because of booze?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

alex314 posted:

I've recently heard Dan Carlin's mongols podcast and it seems that Europe was saved because Genghis Khan's successor Ögedei drank shitload of booze and it shortened his lifespan significantly. That ended in 5 years long interregnum and later on Mongols seemed more interested in fighting each other than subduing rest of Europe. Are there any other instances where world history was dramatically shifted because of booze?

Alexander the Great died after a crazy binge.

Mr Crucial
Oct 28, 2005
What's new pussycat?

grover posted:

US did similar, mounting a pair of seaplane catapults on the fantail of the Iowa class, though Iowa's aircraft were for spotting not attack.

Not just the Iowas, pretty much all WW2 era ships of light-cruiser size or bigger had aviation facilities for 2-4 floatplanes. They were used for local anti-submarine patrol, scouting, spotting fall of shot during bombardments, and later in the war for rescuing pilots downed at sea.

They also very occasionally got involved in dogfights. One of the very first air-to-air combats in the Pacific was between a Zero returning from Pearl Harbor and a pair of SOC Seagulls from the cruiser Northampton (all 3 survived with damage). Much later in the war an OS2U Kingfisher rear gunner actually claimed a Zero shot down.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
But you see history is deterministic because...

I think I'd can call Grant's more productive boozing a pretty similar case, though that's actually a pretty deterministic scenario...

There's at least a few battles won or lost due to general alcoholery on various sides.

e: Sorry this is related to the boozing, not the battleships.

E: HEY ACTUAL ACEDEMIGOONS, since this is still sorta an A/T, what are your thoughts on Carlin? I've not stuck through him in depth but he seems to embody pop hist pretty well; not deep on theory or historiography but certainly accessible and able to cover a great breadth of topics.

the JJ fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Feb 19, 2014

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

alex314 posted:

You obviously missed the "How Booze Built America" series. :colbert:

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/how-booze-built-america

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

grover posted:

You obviously missed the "How Booze Built America" series. :colbert:

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/how-booze-built-america

I'll check it out, thanks. I'm doing some reading on alcohol, I've lately finished a book about drinking in WW2. I guess I'll try with other eras later.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
I had to do a report on "The Alcoholic Republic" when I was at bote school, it blew my mind how people were basically permanently plastered. Prohibition makes so much more sense once you know just how drunk everyone was.

TL;DR American farmers were growing poo poo-heaps of corn on the frontier and had no good way to get it to market before it spoiled so they made whiskey which would keep. This is before widespread use of railroads so your only options were wagons or barges on the Mississippi. So whiskey was cheaper than water and probably had less feces in it so people drank like fishes.

The whiskey rebellion didn't really make sense until I learned this. That tax was hitting them right in the profits!

We also have whiskey to thank for the glorious sport of NASCAR via bootleggers outrunning the revenuers.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yeah, as bad as people made the late 19th century/early 20th sound with regard to alcohol consumption in the US, we drank a fuckload of booze at all times and it wasn't like things suddenly got so awful the Volstead Act was needed.

Master of Documentaries Ken Burns made a doc series on Prohibition, and there's some background on how alcohol was produced/consumed during the colonial era. Military officers were probably permanently shitfaced since colonels were issued something like a liter of rum a week.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Eh, only 20~27 shots, depending on size, so less than twice the amount a RNLN cadet mate of mine is allowed to have daily when underway.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Yeah, 20 shots is called just friday in Finland.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Well I didn't mean literally every waking hour but if you're an 18th century US continental army officer you probably need at least that much hooch.

In their defense everyone was doing it, Britain had been tapering off for a while but they didn't stop rationing rum to the royal navy until July 31, 1970.

No Mo' Yo-Ho :smith:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
It was pretty common for manual laborers, soldiers and sailors to drink 4 to 8 liters of beer per day. It was small beer, so it had about a quarter or half of normal modern day beer's alcohol content in it. So they weren't shitfaced, but had a small buzz all day.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Entire Universe posted:

Military officers were probably permanently shitfaced since colonels were issued something like a liter of rum a week.
A hundred years earlier, everything you'd get issued was also expected to support your family and your personal retinue. Is that still the case in the late 1700s? If so, how many servants would a colonel have?

Or the expectation is he'd turn around and sell the extra.

Edit: Wait, a week? Never mind, that's not a lot of alcohol at all in a demographic that drinks wine by the pint.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.
Can anyone tell me about the development of air warfare before and during World War I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

WEEDLORDBONERHEGEL posted:

Edit: Wait, a week? Never mind, that's not a lot of alcohol at all in a demographic that drinks wine by the pint.

Yeah, that's 5 ounces a day; enough to get pretty drunk if you jammed them all up into every evening, but otherwise not unreasonable. I think their rum was weaker than ours is today as well? I'm not sure why I think that but I think I've heard as such somewhere.

• Locked thread