Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
si
Apr 26, 2004
$500/cone? Wow, the SCCA would suddenly be rich and/or corner workers would be very, very bored.

I can't even imagine what it would be like to spin and hit a cone wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

si posted:

$500/cone? Wow, the SCCA would suddenly be rich and/or corner workers would be very, very bored.

I can't even imagine what it would be like to spin and hit a cone wall.

Even clocking our timing gear is only a $100 hit.

See More Butts
Dec 29, 2004

I always see those deals on LA Times Local or Groupon or similar. $199 Drive a Real Ferrari! I'm certain its just how they make their monthly payment on them.

edit: http://www.ladeals.com/deal/los-angeles/99-up-drive-a-ferrari-on-a-closed-autocross-course-2

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Crustashio posted:

To say "I drove a ferrari!"

The FREE VW experience let me drive cars twice as hard as that.

I got kicked out of a GM experience event when I brought the CTS-V back in a cloud of smoke to a standing applause from all the other people waiting in line to drive it. I purposely made it my last drive of the day, and it was great fun. It was a clean run too.

They didn't bother taking down my name or anything, and I certainly didn't get charged anything, they just politely informed me that I was done for the day, and to please leave.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

The Locator posted:

I got kicked out of a GM experience event when I brought the CTS-V back in a cloud of smoke to a standing applause from all the other people waiting in line to drive it. I purposely made it my last drive of the day, and it was great fun. It was a clean run too.

They didn't bother taking down my name or anything, and I certainly didn't get charged anything, they just politely informed me that I was done for the day, and to please leave.

Motorsports Lab is kinda weird, Imagine Lifestyles does the same thing but they pull from our AutoX clubs for instructors so they actually encourage you to go fast and use proper hand placement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4iiy9a2eVc

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
I hope I'm not the only goon chasing cones and drifting corners today. It's gonna be a great year.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I'm not, but I'm going through old videos.

Slaloming on airstrips is fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjkmrvoI-Mk

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
2014 canadian nationals website is up. I can't wait to see some competition from outside the region.

http://www.cac2014.mmsc.ca/

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Don't hate me for asking this question, but what if someone were to use up one of their limited runs at an event sliding their way through turns in a juvenile, yet safe as possible-kind of way? Would they freak and throw me, I mean that person out?

I used to Autocross a lot in the 90's and early 2000's, but I've only done it once since then. Now I'm going to do it in my 335xi and there's a part of me that wants to have a fun lap of sliding through turns. If this is awful and stupid I'll drop it completely.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Binge posted:

Don't hate me for asking this question, but what if someone were to use up one of their limited runs at an event sliding their way through turns in a juvenile, yet safe as possible-kind of way? Would they freak and throw me, I mean that person out?

I used to Autocross a lot in the 90's and early 2000's, but I've only done it once since then. Now I'm going to do it in my 335xi and there's a part of me that wants to have a fun lap of sliding through turns. If this is awful and stupid I'll drop it completely.

Depends on the event organizers. If it were my event, it would depend on what I saw. Worst case, if it looks like you don't know what you are doing, I'd nicely ask you not to do it again, and probably explain that sliding is rarely the fastest way through the course.

We've got a lot of regulars that also rallycross, so we do see people mixing it up from time to time. From my point of view, everyone is there to have fun, and as long as you can do that safely, we don't have a problem.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Binge posted:

Formula d

I'd talk to the event safety steward.

It happens a lot out here at the socal events, they just end up staggering the drifters as they start, to keep things running smoothly.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Binge posted:

If you hit a lot of cones doing it, expect to be kicked out or shunned. If you don't, expect to be mocked unless you put up some good times.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Crustashio posted:

2014 canadian nationals website is up. I can't wait to see some competition from outside the region.

http://www.cac2014.mmsc.ca/

I should be at this. As will a number of Ontarians. PUT UP YOUR DUKES.

Binge posted:

I don't think your xi is going to be too happy with that kind of driving. Most local clubs are pretty lax with that as long as you aren't smoking, laying significant black marks, or destroying the course. I'd recommend showing them you can drive before going out like a loony toon.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Our event insurance specifically excludes drifting so if you make it look like a drift event they'll probably demand to choke the life out of you.

That said, a healthy bit of slip angle is never something that we raise an eyebrow at - seen some young bucks seriously overdrive their cars and people didn't freak out even after they had slid over a curb and into a fence.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

It tends to be very region/club dependent I think.

Our group very specifically says "No drifting", and it's even in the drivers meeting. As was said before, slip angle and aggressive driving is fine, but obviously playing dorifto will get you a talking to by the safety steward and event chair, and repeated offense after that will get you tossed and your times DSQ'ed.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I recommend anyone who likes slaloming to try a ProSolo. Especailly club ones. Since they're lax, and you get to race your buddies heads up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NDI0pJnpZg

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
My last run of yesterday morning I decided to make into an homage to Initial D, and no one raised an eyebrow. It really is dependent on your club.

ProSolo looks awesome, I hope to do one this summer.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ontario guys, do you know if the SPDA is going to run the Snowkhana again?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

animeliker posted:

Ontario guys, do you know if the SPDA is going to run the Snowkhana again?

Everytime I ask people who were involved last time, I get a yes. So here's hoping.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Sounds good. Thanks.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Ziploc posted:

Baller. This was last years course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMS96MRACmc

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 26, 2014

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Ziploc posted:

I'm hoping to be as well. You planning on two days driving each way, or powering through on one? Google maps is showing 13 hrs, 1350km for me.

Oh my. Visions of 3rd gear dancing in my head. Suggestions on where to stay? Time to figure out how much it'll cost.

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Ziploc posted:

I don't think your xi is going to be too happy with that kind of driving. Most local clubs are pretty lax with that as long as you aren't smoking, laying significant black marks, or destroying the course. I'd recommend showing them you can drive before going out like a loony toon.

I admit this is pretty dumb, and it's something people probably get out of their systems long ago. I just discovered (in another thread) how to turn off most of the assists on my car, and maybe I've watched too many YouTube videos, because I really want to try power slide through a turn now. This combined with my amped up excitement for doing SCCA this year, it seemed like a safer way of having some fun. If I hit a cone or something while doing it, I'd immediately stop out of sheer embarrassment, and I'd probably do it on the last run. Whether or not my car will even slide around a turn is something I'm going to have to find out in the spring. edit - And now that i've talked about this in 2 different replies the feeling of how stupid this is has sunk in. Let's move on!

For actual content! My hardest thing with autocross has always been the course layout. The last one I did, I missed a turn every single time. When the course has sections that criss-cross, my poor brain begins to fail. Would drawing myself a little map and taping it to my dash or something help? Not that I want to look down, but maybe I could just be studying it while waiting to take off.

My video from last year in my 325xi, where I obviously miss a turn. (and I stupidly forgot to take my keychain off, so it jingles like crazy)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3UzExNn5Ro

Binge fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 27, 2014

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Man.. I wish we had an airport somewhere in the area with giant unused aprons that they would let cars drive around cones on.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

TrueChaos posted:

I'm hoping to be as well. You planning on two days driving each way, or powering through on one? Google maps is showing 13 hrs, 1350km for me.

Oh my. Visions of 3rd gear dancing in my head. Suggestions on where to stay? Time to figure out how much it'll cost.

I shifted into 3rd (~100kph) for the last slalom after the box so I was going at a pretty good clip by the time I hit the brakes.

The only place I've ever stayed is the slemon park hotel, its literally a 30 second drive to the airport. I change my tires on Friday and don't change back until Sunday. Saves a lot of headache, especially when it gets above 30C.

Binge posted:

Whether or not my car will even slide around a turn is something I'm going to have to find out in the spring.

If you can get a 325xi to drift under power in the dry I will be thoroughly impressed.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

Binge posted:

My hardest thing with autocross has always been the course layout. The last one I did, I missed a turn every single time. When the course has sections that criss-cross, my poor brain begins to fail. Would drawing myself a little map and taping it to my dash or something help?

I always try to get a few ride alongs.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Crustashio posted:

I shifted into 3rd (~100kph) for the last slalom after the box so I was going at a pretty good clip by the time I hit the brakes.

The only place I've ever stayed is the slemon park hotel, its literally a 30 second drive to the airport. I change my tires on Friday and don't change back until Sunday. Saves a lot of headache, especially when it gets above 30C.

If you can get a 325xi to drift under power in the dry I will be thoroughly impressed.

Sounds good. Time to look into prices at the slemon park hotel! I'll definitely be in 3rd, the miata redlines second around 85. I may even touch the top of 3rd, somewhere around 120km/h.

And I was thinking the same thing about the 325xi...

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Crustashio posted:

The 325xi was my car last year, I have since picked up a 335xi. What a difference 4 years makes!

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Binge posted:

I admit this is pretty dumb, and it's something people probably get out of their systems long ago.

I spend my first run on cold tires power sliding the back half of the course to bring the rears up and I enjoy every second of it. Also, I haven't met a single autocrosser who will not spend their last run dicking around if the tires have overheated and are obviously too greasy early in the run.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2-2UZ8T7Dk

The Locator posted:

Man.. I wish we had an airport somewhere in the area with giant unused aprons that they would let cars drive around cones on.

Airports are amazing compared to anything but stadium sized parking lots. We had to start shortening straights at our airport one because the C6s were getting into 3rd gear which is north of 90mph.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 28, 2014

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Muffinpox posted:

I spend my first run on cold tires power sliding the back half of the course to bring the rears up and I enjoy every second of it. Also, I haven't met a single autocrosser who will not spend their last run dicking around if the tires have overheated and are obviously too greasy early in the run.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2-2UZ8T7Dk

Everyone does this, gotta clear the dust off the course somehow!

Muffinpox posted:

Airports are amazing compared to anything but stadium sized parking lots. We had to start shortening straights at our airport one because the C6s were getting into 3rd gear which is north of 90mph.

Yeah, I've gone through a slalom at 120km/h at picton airfield, it was awesome and sphincter clenching at the same time.

http://goo.gl/maps/Rb5Oj is the airport.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Muffinpox posted:

I do this. Only on the first run though. The first run will be kinda sloppy anyways and will just determine if I know where all the gates and crap are. If I'm confident I know where I'm going, I'll go sideways.*

*Unless it's a national event or something where you get like 3 runs.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
We almost only ever do 4 runs anyway (all the local clubs are terrible about being on time), so I tend to save the drifty poo poo. Plus my M3 understeers like crazy because I made stupid choices regarding spring rates. This year I'm upping all the rates and going to a 150# split so it should border on "good" oversteer.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Spoke to some in the know today regarding Snokhana, looking for a date really close to March 1st.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
Hey guys,

So there is a SCCA Solo Novice School event this Saturday at the local High School.
I have never done anything like this before, but I enjoy driving and always wanted to try something like this.
I drive a new, bone stock 2014 Mazda 3 iTouring, AT.
Any tips besides emptying my car of all my crap and the other stuff that was in the OP?

Also I took a look at the Attendee List, which featured Miatas, Porsches, Nissan Z's, GT-R's and BMWs. Is this typical for a Novice event? I don't really care about wining or anything, just want some weekend fun, but I was expecting Civics and Camrys, not GT-R's and Porsches.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

shoophobo posted:

Hey guys,

So there is a SCCA Solo Novice School event this Saturday at the local High School.
I have never done anything like this before, but I enjoy driving and always wanted to try something like this.
I drive a new, bone stock 2014 Mazda 3 iTouring, AT.
Any tips besides emptying my car of all my crap and the other stuff that was in the OP?

Get one of the instructors to take a lap in your car if you're comfortable with that. They'll show you what your car is really capable of and hopefully give you some inspiration.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

shoophobo posted:

Also I took a look at the Attendee List, which featured Miatas, Porsches, Nissan Z's, GT-R's and BMWs. Is this typical for a Novice event? I don't really care about wining or anything, just want some weekend fun, but I was expecting Civics and Camrys, not GT-R's and Porsches.

People with Camries and Civics are probably unlikely to self-select themselves for an event with their car that's more stimulating than "drool on myself while texting."

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

goatse guy posted:

Get one of the instructors to take a lap in your car if you're comfortable with that. They'll show you what your car is really capable of and hopefully give you some inspiration.

Have one of the instructors drive your car and make the novices with GTRs look bad.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

shoophobo posted:

Disable any driving assists you can (traction control, ABS if possible), tighten your seatbelt as much as possible, and look at your next turn, not the one you are at. Practicing shuffle steering also helps. Most of all, have fun. It helps to have a good attitude when your instructor hits a cone and knocks your skirt off and drags it along the asphalt for a minute.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib

Seat Safety Switch posted:

People with Camries and Civics are probably unlikely to self-select themselves for an event with their car that's more stimulating than "drool on myself while texting."
Made me lol, I guess I just meant as a novice class I expected more Daily Driver type cars, but then again I wouldn't mind having a Nissan Z as a DD.

Muffinpox posted:

Have one of the instructors drive your car and make the novices with GTRs look bad.
So how exactly does that work? Insurance wise? I know in AutoX the chances are low, but let say he/she is a little over eager and causes some sort of damage. Does SCCA's Insurance cover that? Would my Ins Co, (GEICO) cover it?

Any way thanks for all the advice! If I go I'll be sure to let you all know how it works out!
Oh, and I only say "if" because I might have to make a emergency trip, my mom is ill and I may have to drive home to visit if she gets worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

There's very likely a clause in your insurance that won't cover any damages while participating in anything like autocross. You'll have to consider that if any damages happen, you'll be paying out of pocket.

• Locked thread