Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
ABOUT MOTHERFUCKING TIME!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

This is literally every office building in Canada right now, TV's in the lobby with 100-1000 people watching Canada.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

jm20 posted:

This is literally every office building in Canada right now, TV's in the lobby with 100-1000 people watching Canada.

I feel sorry that they don't have internet access at their desks. :smug:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

jm20 posted:

Including government buildings in Ottawa, so while everybody's in the lobby watching Canada, nobody's at their drat office, you know, running Canada.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

FrozenVent posted:

Including government buildings in Ottawa, so while everybody's in the lobby watching Canada, nobody's at their drat office, you know, running Canada.

perfect time for terrorists for an independent quebec to strike

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

When Canada finally defeats Latvia in a game of hey-come-back-here-with-that-piece-of-rubber we'll be assured of our place and importance in the world.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Darth123123 posted:

Ahaaaha Putin

is anyone REALLY surprised at this?

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Bascially the entire medical staff of this hospital is jammed into the cafeteria watching this on a projector. Sorry, sick people

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
57 vs 14 shots on goal, :drat:

Like I said everything quite literally stops for Olympic Hockey. :negative:

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
US vs Canada is going to be so awesome, I worry about penguin on penguin violence but I'm stoked.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Agrajag posted:

I feel sorry that they don't have internet access at their desks. :smug:

Some companies have forbidden watching live sports feeds at desk because everyone in the organization tuning in at the same time will overload their network.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Woooo.

Nenonen posted:

Some companies have forbidden watching live sports feeds at desk because everyone in the organization tuning in at the same time will overload their network.

Apparently that has been an issue for the Canadian Federal Government IT infrastructure.

Iceache
Jul 9, 2009
Everyone in Latvia is celebrating this loss. One of our prodest moments! :smug:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

Woooo.

Apparently that has been an issue for the Canadian Federal Government IT infrastructure.

Surprised they didn't set up a local multicast stream inside the network.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

jm20 posted:

Working in a random office tower in Calgary, I can vouche for this.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
Do any of the Latvians play in the pros? Because the Canadians pull 5-8 mill and I'm wondering what the plucky underdogs make in comparison.

If anything that goalie deserves all the money.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

t3h z0r posted:

Do any of the Latvians play in the pros? Because the Canadians pull 5-8 mill and I'm wondering what the plucky underdogs make in comparison.

If anything that goalie deserves all the money.

The Latvian goalie plays in the AHL and makes $55k a year.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

The goalie plays in the AHL.

Kaspars Daugavins played for Senators and Bruins
Girgensons plays for the Sabres
Sprukts played for the NHL a while ago, and more recently KHL
A few other guys toyed with the AHL/NHL but didn't stick.

Iceache
Jul 9, 2009
The captain - Sandis Ozolins has played in the NHL. Even won the Stanley Cup in 1996. An old guy but with a great spirit.
Majority of the team plays in KHL.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jm20 posted:

geez, if they walked 200 metres to the CBC lobby they could sit on couches and watch a 100 inch screen

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

They said in vancouver in 2010, roughly half of the entire population of canada watched the whole game, and 26.5 million watched at least part of it

quote:

It was also the most-watched television broadcast ever in Canadian history, with an average audience of 16.6 million viewers. Nearly half of the Canadian population watched the entire game on average, while 80 percent of Canadians watched some part of the game (26.5 million). The game aired live on nine television networks in eight languages via Canada's Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium.

This isn't a loving game.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

GOT VIRUS FROM MP3 posted:

geez, if they walked 200 metres to the CBC lobby they could sit on couches and watch a 100 inch screen

What and miss some of the game? Watch what you say next time fella, dem's fighting words.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Powershift posted:

They said in vancouver in 2010, roughly half of the entire population of canada watched the whole game, and 26.5 million watched at least part of it

Was that the game where the city of Winnipeg or whatever posted a graph showing that water consumption increased 20-fold between the periods as people went to piss? Or am I thinking of some other game?

Hockey isn't a game in Canada, it's serious loving business. The seriousest of business.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

FrozenVent posted:

Hockey isn't a game in Canada, it's serious loving business. The seriousest of business.

That best not be an ironic post.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I wonder if we'll see a graph of the increase of vodka sales after Russia's loss. Or are vodka sales pretty much maxed out anyway?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

perfect time for terrorists for an independent quebec to strike

they're also too busy watching hockey

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Agrajag posted:

That best not be an ironic post.

What the gently caress do you think I am, some sort of American?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Powershift posted:

So like an episode of The Bachelor?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Was catching up on my snowboard cross and watching yellow bib here get increasingly inconsistent/wild over the hills, and then this happened :stare:

e: :raise:

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 20, 2014

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

Was that the game where the city of Winnipeg or whatever posted a graph showing that water consumption increased 20-fold between the periods as people went to piss? Or am I thinking of some other game?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Darth123123 posted:

So like an episode of The Bachelor?

The most watched TV event in the US was the super bowl, and that couldn't even get 30% of the population. Even with the entire country losing it's loving mind over it for a week every year.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tomero_the_Great posted:

Working in a random office tower in Calgary, I can vouche for this.

The Hockey Song is actually Canada's national anthem.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

etalian posted:

The Hockey Song is actually Canada's national anthem.

for non-canadians:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmimLBSTEUw

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Another similar graph is power consumption during the soccer in the UK. During the breaks some 20 or 30 million people turn their kettle on at the same time.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

dud root posted:

Another similar graph is power consumption during the soccer in the UK. During the breaks some 20 or 30 million people turn their kettle on at the same time.

They're drinking tea during the game? What the gently caress?

All you need to do during a break in a game is piss and grab a beer from the patio, what the hell is this kettle poo poo?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

dud root posted:

Brits are weird. Why do they all want sugar-coated popcorn during a soccer game

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Graph at 1:39

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_Quvr9VBxA

naem
May 29, 2011

Vernii posted:

Sochi is a gift that keeps on giving.

Pussy Riot members attacked by Cossacks with whips

EDIT:

Better story at The Washington Post, which has video (video was originally posted by RT, who took it down, but The Telegraph already rehosted it).

I GUESS YOU COULD SAY THEY GOT

sunglasses, something

dramatic pause

space space space

PUSSY WHIPPED

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH

Adbot