Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
God, the timing on that was incredible.

VV Usually I think you'd just wait to do this until later. Brad'd have an easier time in 3-2 or 4-2. The enemies here do a lot of damage.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I haven't played this far into Demon's Souls, but this level seems pretty straightforward for anyone who's going to play with just a little bit of patience. I dan't know how he's managed to die so many times.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah having a really good weapon gives you a false sense of confidence in Souls games. Being able to one-shot enemies in most games means that those enemies are weak and you don't have to worry about anything. In a Souls game though those enemies might still do a ton of damage, so when you finally relax and don't focus as much as you should, you suddenly get hit 2-3 times and whoops you're dead.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Noxville posted:

I haven't played this far into Demon's Souls, but this level seems pretty straightforward for anyone who's going to play with just a little bit of patience. I dan't know how he's managed to die so many times.

Your first sentence explains your second.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Swagger Dagger posted:

Your first sentence explains your second.

I have played a lot of Dark Souls.

Mr. Peabody
Dec 30, 2011

Go on funny man, make me laugh!
I love how Vinny is now always "small businessman" for the Bombcast ads, regardless of what it's for. "I'll see YOU at the Mind Gym, small businessman!"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I demand a commercial for a product aimed at large businessmen.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Noxville posted:

I have played a lot of Dark Souls.

no, I mean, "anyone who's going to play with a lot of patience" isn't going to die a lot. Brad doesn't have a lot of patience.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fallom posted:

I demand a commercial for a product aimed at large businessmen.

The return of Big Jeffery?!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How is a small businessman going to have time to visit a mind gym when he's so busy printing out stamps?

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
I appreciated Jeff's comments on the bombcast about people who love Titanfall yet bash CoD as the worst thing in video games.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Swagger Dagger posted:

no, I mean, "anyone who's going to play with a lot of patience" isn't going to die a lot. Brad doesn't have a lot of patience.

Oh yeah. Beyond doubt.

From the start of the feature I was expecting that since he started with that spell and got that sword that made him overpowered in the early game, he wasn't going to really learn to play it when he can just run in and mash buttons in front of an enemy, and now that the enemies are catching up with him he's starting to have problems. What is a bummer is that when he first started he was really, really good at the parry (better than I've ever gotten in Dark Souls) but he's never used it since he got that sword.

I don't think he's going to be able to level that sword any further so I'm interested to see how it goes from here on out.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just wish Brad would calm down just a bit, dude is going to get an ulcer.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Javes posted:

I appreciated Jeff's comments on the bombcast about people who love Titanfall yet bash CoD as the worst thing in video games.

A thing I find funny is that some people in the press only ever get tired of the "same old thing" in sequels around the change of a console generation, where they act supremely disappointed that the games aren't radically different when a couple years before they handing out high scores to yearly sequels for having very small changes.

I'm of the opinion that Titanfall looks like a fun 10 dollar Steam sale game, but the 5v5 with bots isn't really appealing to me. I think the game would have been a friggan awesome Battlefield game. At least a 12v12 in a city square block or two with destructible environments. That would have been a next gen game.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 20, 2014

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Javes posted:

Absolutely. I'm one of those dudes who played cod every year and feel the series peaked with blops and now can't stomach anymore. Incidentally I'm totally not interested in titanfall.

The two games overlap so much that I'm going to have trouble taking anyone seriously that attempts to trash one while praising the other.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Jimbot posted:

I think the game would have been a friggan awesome Battlefield game. At least a 12v12 in a city square block or two with destructible environments.

You think 24 people with (potentially) 24 additional mechs crawling around in a block or two wouldn't have been insanely crowded and not fun at all?

And not directly related to Titanfall, why do you immediately assume bigger is better in terms of multiplayer games? Like, Battlefield is built for large-scale battles with multiple, smaller, cooperating teams over giant swaths of land, whereas something like Halo isn't. What is it that requires such a large scale for you to care about it or think that it's a mistake for games to focus on smaller scale?

Also, I really disliked CoD for the most part, aside from MW1 and Blops (was never super hardcore into them, anyway), but I really liked the beta for Titanfall. CoD seemed like this weird mishmash of ideas that never really clicked with me; the basic gameplay loop of spawn>run>shoot>die>spawn is broken up enough in Titanfall by killing grunts or Titan stuff that it's more entertaining than CoD is to me.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 20, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

sleepwalkers posted:

And not directly related to Titanfall, why do you immediately assume bigger is better in terms of multiplayer games?

He's not, at least not necessarily. It's more that this particular type of game would have been better off bigger.

Titanfall absolutely suffers for being a game with only 12 players in small, static maps. Having so many titans on the map at once means you get into silly situations where you're bumping elbows and blocking your teammates, and sometimes a bunch of titans on both teams get mixed up in close quarters and nobody can tell what's what. Being in a Titan is incredibly unsatisfying because they're fragile, too common, and have zero impact on the environment around them.

Making Titanfall a game with higher playercounts and bigger maps with destruction would have been harder, but I think it would have been drat well worth trying. There is a middle ground between BF4 and Call of Duty, and they should have aimed for it.

Honestly, I think Titanfall as it is might be a better game if it had zero Titans. The movement system is really great, but throwing the Titans in the mix kind of makes the whole thing feel weak.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 20, 2014

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

I'm one of those people Jeff talks about, who got off the wagon at MW2 (and proceeded to go back to older shooters, like Quake 3 and UT) and one of the few reasons Titanfall is half as good as it is to me is because of the movement capability.

The rest of the game is enjoyable to me, yes. But the movement really reminded me of an older FPS that companies just don't make anymore.

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco
I wonder why they didn't balance the titans toward higher power, but less frequent drops.

From what I played of the beta, everyone had a titan after a certain point and (like Fallom said) it just made the maps feel cluttered-- especially when many of the titans are being controlled by AI.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Maybe not a block or two, but an appropriately sized much for a 12v12 with mechs would have been a great starting point. Cut down on the down time of a Battlefield game, keep the fast-paced nature of CoD while carving out a middle ground genre to set the standard for. It's more ambitious and I think as a company's first game, especially one who are trying to get away from Call of Duty, it would have been a triumph, even if it didn't quite reach its potential.

I see good ideas in Titanfall but the end product isn't something I want to spend full money for. I can see myself getting it on a Steam sale, get that money's worth out of it and never playing it again.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Arstan posted:

I wonder why they didn't balance the titans toward higher power, but less frequent drops.

From what I played of the beta, everyone had a titan after a certain point and (like Fallom said) it just made the maps feel cluttered-- especially when many of the titans are being controlled by AI.

Because they're plenty powerful when played competently, or that's my feel on it. You can do some serious poo poo in a Titan.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I also forgot to mention the peekaboo gameplay you get into if you're trying to increase survivability in a titan.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Fallom posted:

He's not, at least not necessarily. It's more that this particular type of game would have been better off bigger.

Titanfall absolutely suffers for being a game with only 12 players in small, static maps. Having so many titans on the map at once means you get into silly situations where you're bumping elbows and blocking your teammates, and sometimes a bunch of titans on both teams get mixed up in close quarters and nobody can tell what's what. Being in a Titan is incredibly unsatisfying because they're fragile, too common, and have zero impact on the environment around them.

Making Titanfall a game with higher playercounts and bigger maps with destruction would have been harder, but I think it would have been drat well worth trying. There is a middle ground between BF4 and Call of Duty, and they should have aimed for it.

Honestly, I think Titanfall as it is might be a better game if it had zero Titans. The movement system is really great, but throwing the Titans in the mix kind of makes the whole thing feel weak.

Fair enough, I can get behind that idea, even if I don't agree. I still think the 6v6 is what makes it satisfying, in that you can make or break an entire match. I did find the two beta maps claustrophobic once most players had Titans out, but I don't quite understand what you're saying. On one hand, it's "only 12 players", but on the other, the maps are "small". You'd have to make Battlefield-sized maps to accommodate much more than 12 players.
Even then, I think the matches being as focused as they are help make the movement feel like it's a part of a strategic repertoire rather than just a way to get from point A to point B, which I don't think would persist if you start shoving players in maps that large.

\/\/\/\/\/
So, right now, you're dealing with 12 players and (up to) 12 additional Titans on the map. And you think maps are small once things get going (I do, too). How many times larger does that map need to be to feel comfortable with that many things interacting? Now make it 8-on-8 or 12-on-12? That's going to have to be a giant map, especially considering how much faster everyone can move in Titanfall versus Battlefield.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 20, 2014

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

sleepwalkers posted:

Fair enough, I can get behind that idea, even if I don't agree. I still think the 6v6 is what makes it satisfying, in that you can make or break an entire match. I did find the two beta maps claustrophobic once most players had Titans out, but I don't quite understand what you're saying. On one hand, it's "only 12 players", but on the other, the maps are "small". You'd have to make Battlefield-sized maps to accommodate much more than 12 players.

The maps only feel small once the titans start coming out. They're appropriately CoD arena-sized for the 12 humans + bots, but quickly become cramped 5 minutes into the game once everyone is stomping around.

And I really, really don't think you immediately have to jump to Battlefield-sized maps in order to accommodate more than 12 players. Those maps are often built for 64 players, and even then there's some range between gigantic open maps and smaller, more focused maps that still have tanks rolling around.

A smaller version of Siege of Shanghai would be perfect for 12 vs 12 in Titanfall, I think. Operation Firestorm, maybe not.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 20, 2014

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
Can we just get Tribes 3 already. Throw a $40 price on that bad boy, get rid of all the Hi-rez hitscan bullshit, give me a god damned spinfusor again, inventory stations and bases worth defending, vehicles that may or may not get you mudered, and some motherfucking flags to capture.

You can make this poo poo work on a console, I believe in you assholes.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Equilibrium posted:

Can we just get Tribes 3 already. Throw a $40 price on that bad boy, get rid of all the Hi-rez hitscan bullshit, give me a god damned spinfusor again, inventory stations and bases worth defending, vehicles that may or may not get you mudered, and some motherfucking flags to capture.

You can make this poo poo work on a console, I believe in you assholes.

No one spent money on Tribes Ascend. It was fun for a few weeks!

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Titanfall just makes me appreciate the Soda Popper even more in TF2

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
After playing the beta I just came out not really enjoying the titans at all. They don't really feel that awesome and they're just slower. On foot though is actually tons of fun and I love wall running and climbing things.

Also yeah Jeff was definitely on point. There's people in my class praising titanfall while making GBS threads on call of duty and it really doesn't make much sense to me why.

Studio posted:

This post just made me want to install TF2 again.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 20, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I dunno, depending on how those burn cards work I could see people liking Titanfall when they didn't like CoD. CoD had good fundamental gunplay but the surrounding mechanics where just the antithesis of fun. Who wants to spawn into an airstrike three times in a row? If there's not a bunch of stuff you can't fight back against in Titanfall it'd instantly be way less annoying.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Also yeah Jeff was definitely on point. There's people in my class praising titanfall while making GBS threads on call of duty and it really doesn't make much sense to me why.

For me it purely comes down to movement and to some extent, pacing. I never felt like I was always running and always shooting and always doing something fun in Call of Duty (since 2, or even MW2). Titanfall doesn't come close to Quake 3 but it does get kinda close to UT99, for movement and pacing where it's the same thing, always doing something. The bots do help that, even if they're just stupid bots.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Studio posted:

Every time a new "right trigger, left trigger" shootmans game comes out and people fall over themselves to fawn over some minor deviation or adaptation and i go back to tf2 and am awed just how many, incredibly varied and differently paced play-styles are mashed together in that game. And that's not even talking about the crazy poo poo the hundreds of weapons allow you to do.

But really i'm just glad that the soldier let's me pretend i'm playing quake over a decade after every studio in the world decided that verticality was just too much for players.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 20, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I'm just waiting for Valve to release the game that everyone really wants to play, TFC 2.5.

By which I mean just re-releasing TFC 1.5, because that game was perfect :colbert:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Pyro is useless in 1.5

edit:

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 20, 2014

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Like he said, perfect.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

edit:

The Big Jeffbowski. What is he doing, a drug dead drop or something? Hahah

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Popy posted:

Don't give a whole studio to egotistical game designers/writers. Never works out well.

Unless its Kojima. Give everything to Kojima.

Design is law.

In Kojima's case though he's constantly trying to get out of it and they won't let him, so he just goes "gently caress it Otacon's dad knew snake's dad"

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
The MGS plot is the best plot that nobody on the writing team wanted to happen. I really liked the "Snake gets executed idea", but the forced continuation of the plot is coming up with even dumber plots and I don't want to get off the train.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Mu Zeta posted:

edit:

I like Jeff's non pedophile facial hair but I do wish he would bring the creepy mustache back sometimes.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Wait, when did MGS not have a dumb plot? Psycho Mantis, Raiden, that boss covered in bees, its always been a dumb series that had some fun parts once you got over having to button mash past endless idiotic codec conversations and having to struggle with the terrible, terrible analog buttons of the PS2/3 era.

If Splinter Cell wasn't always so far up its own rear end in Clancy style 'MERICA! bullshit it could have easily overtaken MGS as the go-to stealth game.

I guess the answer is somewhere in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Wait, when did MGS not have a dumb plot? Psycho Mantis, Raiden, that boss covered in bees, its always been a dumb series that had some fun parts once you got over having to button mash past endless idiotic codec conversations and having to struggle with the terrible, terrible analog buttons of the PS2/3 era.

If Splinter Cell wasn't always so far up its own rear end in Clancy style 'MERICA! bullshit it could have easily overtaken MGS as the go-to stealth game.

I guess the answer is somewhere in the middle.

It got dumber and I hate you for saying the codec calls are anything less than great

• Locked thread