Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
The solution to counterstabbings is to keep stabbing the new guy until you aren't discovered. Also don't forget their liege. Stab him too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Node posted:

Starting as Ivar the Boneless and getting a 7000 strong Irish Liberation rebellion with heavy cavalry before even 50 years has passed sucks.

When I do an Ivar start, I usually form Ireland first, which gets around this. Scotland becomes harder to take, though, since forming Ireland will cancel out any "Become King of Scotland" ambition, meaning you can't use that nice big subjugation CB.

It also provides a nice excuse to go into the name editor and switch over Irland to Ivarland. :black101:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
One thing I really wish they'd do something about before any further expansions: alter the implications of traits to make them relevant to individual faiths. Sure, Muslims and Christians may have broadly the same values, but Norsemen surely as hell don't. It's ridiculous that a viking gains piety for being humble, for example, or that wroth is considered a sin.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I'm in the 1200's, the Mongols came about 30 years ago and i promptly allied with them. We have now split the world in half amongst us and there is peace in our time. I pretty much just plop 4x speed on now and switch out heir's every now and then, it's kinda boring. Am i gonna miss out on something cool if i don't play this until the date the game ends and instead start a new game?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

One thing I really wish they'd do something about before any further expansions: alter the implications of traits to make them relevant to individual faiths. Sure, Muslims and Christians may have broadly the same values, but Norsemen surely as hell don't. It's ridiculous that a viking gains piety for being humble, for example, or that wroth is considered a sin.

There is a little bit of that already, which is to say there's precisely one trait affected by it: Muslim characters can't generate with the chaste trait.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Dongattack posted:

I'm in the 1200's, the Mongols came about 30 years ago and i promptly allied with them. We have now split the world in half amongst us and there is peace in our time. I pretty much just plop 4x speed on now and switch out heir's every now and then, it's kinda boring. Am i gonna miss out on something cool if i don't play this until the date the game ends and instead start a new game?

You got Sunset Invasion? Because then you can build a triple alliance deal.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

TaurusTorus posted:

You got Sunset Invasion? Because then you can build a triple alliance deal.

Hmm, i thought i had all the DLC... Should'nt they have been here by the 1200's?

Edit: Hmmm, nope! They must be right around the corner then.

Edit2: Can you give them land when they ask for it? The entire western world is mine and i will gladly give them Spain and Portugal in exchange for interesting new allies/characters to play with.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 19, 2014

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
They're not big on asking, really. You could surrender when they declare war, but that will leave them with intact doomstacks and a desire for more conquest. So I guess in your case, let them take the parts of the world you want them to have, then fight.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

CapnAndy posted:

They're not big on asking, really. You could surrender when they declare war, but that will leave them with intact doomstacks and a desire for more conquest. So I guess in your case, let them take the parts of the world you want them to have, then fight.

Ah okay, i saw a screenshot where they had sendt a envoy or something asking for land. I guess you automatically decline.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Quasi-off-topic, but I know next to nothing about Indian and Chinese history. Any good books to read in prep for Rajas to get myself up to speed on the historical time period?

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

Dongattack posted:

Sounds like a real fun play to me. :) Have all out war with him and see how it goes. Two superpowers collide for world domination, who'll win?
If you're not going to do that, meh, you could start roleplaying ;

- Create a feud with a dynasty and try to eradicate it from the earth. Either by assasinating/plotting them untill their is no one left, or gently caress with their eugenics by marrying them off and make them a dynasty full of inbred, slow dwarves.

- Create mega vassals and try to keep your empire stable

- Be a total tyran and see how much poo poo your people take

Possibilities are endless.

Jack the Stripper fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 19, 2014

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Dutchfool posted:

Sounds like a real fun play to me. :) Have all out war with him and see how it goes. Two superpowers collide for world domination, who'll win?
If you're not going to do that, meh. You might indeed just quit or you can start Roleplaying. It can get fun if you're into it.

By the time games get to this point everything has generally slowed to a crawl though. It could be vaguely fun seeing such a clash or a collapse or roleplaying it etc if everything was whizzing along, but when you're chugging along at a day every five seconds on x4 it takes a lot out of it. Don't even get me started on ironman. I'd love to play a proper ironman game, but I cannot tolerate the 5-10 second pauses every minute or so. I had a really interesting game where I'd sworn fealty to the aztecs and planned to take them on from inside, but then my king died of pneumonia and I was left with a 1 year old duchess. Playing regencies is terrible and dull, and playing female rulers is also pretty terrible and dull (sorry). And playing both while your game is moving like a snail is pretty terrible and poo poo. It would have taken hours just get her to adulthood. So yeah, I just thought gently caress it and quit.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 20, 2014

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

ThomasPaine posted:

By the time games get to this point everything has generally slowed to a crawl though. It could be vaguely fun seeing such a clash or a collapse or roleplaying it etc if everything was whizzing along, but when you're chugging along at a day every five seconds on x4 it takes a lot out of it. Don't even get me started on ironman. I'd love to play a proper ironman game, but I cannot tolerate the 5-10 second pauses every minute or so. I had a really interesting game where I'd sworn fealty to the aztecs and planned to take them on from inside, but then my king died of pneumonia and I was left with a 1 year old duchess. Playing regencies is terrible and dull, and playing female rulers is also pretty terrible and dull (sorry), so I just thought gently caress it and quit.

At later stages in the game the lag can get stupidly bad, yeah. I also never play ironman aswell for the very same reason.

But the situation you described sounded like a nice challenge, I would like that. If you're looking for something to do have you considered starting as the Mali duke and try to create your own Malian empire? Was my most satisfying game, but terribly hard

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
My Norse empire has expanded to the point that any remaining threats are essentially trivial, so i'm thinking of moving on to something else.

I'm going to try and re-enact the story of King John plotting to convert England to Islam to get himself out under the thumb of the Pope. Since Catholicism is a reformed religion, and Muslims won't send missionaries, how should I approach converting? Try to marry a Muslim courtier and wait for a conversion event?

I want to avoid the ruler designer, anyway.

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 20, 2014

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

In my Amalfi->Rome game I managed to get a single Byz claim guy before my claim breeder popped her clogs. Unfortunately, my years of loyal support and the huge amounts of ducats that I've been funneling to the emperor has made the realm stronger than I've ever seen an AI Byz. I've seen them fight off every single rebellion, sometimes simultaneously beating the poo poo out of the massive Muslim realms and I dunno if I'm gonna be able to actually press the claim when my guy gets the Dogeship.

edit: I blame myself for my really awesome diplomacy stat and position as Chancellor keeping his vassals in line. He managed to implement Absolute CA almost immediately after regency and is now known as "The Great" at the age of 20. :gonk:

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 20, 2014

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

My Norse empire has expanded to the point that any remaining threats are essentially trivial, so i'm thinking of moving on to something else.

I'm going to try and re-enact the story of King John plotting to convert England to Islam to get himself out under the thumb of the Pope. Since Catholicism is a reformed religion, and Muslims won't send missionaries, how should I approach converting? Try to marry a Muslim courtier and wait for a conversion event?

Wait for the expansion, which will add the option to convert your ruler once per lifetime.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Dutchfool posted:

At later stages in the game the lag can get stupidly bad, yeah. I also never play ironman aswell for the very same reason.

But the situation you described sounded like a nice challenge, I would like that. If you're looking for something to do have you considered starting as the Mali duke and try to create your own Malian empire? Was my most satisfying game, but terribly hard

It is a really cool situation, but I just can't stomach the amount of time it takes to do anything. It was pretty ridiculous, I was Scotland and the Aztecs turned up in Argyll and somewhere in Ireland one after the other. I didn't stand a chance, and they ended up conquering everything. Somehow I ended up the independent count of the Faroe Islands, so I swore fealty because otherwise I would have just been stomped. I'd really like to keep playing!

Yeah, I tried Mali awhile back. I ruler designed a long christian count amongst all of the pagan chieftains and rose up to become some strange Prester John-esque King of all Mali. It was pretty awesome (till the Muslims decided they wanted my patch of desert, but you know how it goes)

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

I don't know if this is possible, but can you have your children educated by a muslim? I know you can do that to change cultures, but I don't know if it works for religion or if it even lets you give your kids to a muslim.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

Wait for the expansion, which will add the option to convert your ruler once per lifetime.

I'm pretty sure that's only for the three Indian religions, and only to one of the other two.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

My heir with a claim on the ERE died from a blow to the head in a test war I set up to lower CA to see how feasible attacking a buff byz is. In preparation for pressing his claim when he becomes Doge. I guess I need to keep breeding claims in because a strong AI Byz has a ton of Cataphracts, and here's me thinking that the AI doesn't give a poo poo about cultural retinues.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Dutchfool posted:

- Create a feud with a dynasty and try to eradicate it from the earth. Either by assasinating/plotting them untill their is no one left, or gently caress with their eugenics by marrying them off and make them a dynasty full of inbred, slow dwarves.

Haha, that's not gonna work in my game. I did what you are not supposed to do apparantly and made vassals ONLY of my dynasty. We have around 1400 living members right now i think and there literally is no other dynasty in power in the Dongattack Empire. It's kinda interesting really, i'm not sure i see the problem yet with having family only vassals. The result in my game were vassals that were interally fractured and weak, but when it came time for some AI baron to press that De Jure claim on that foreign province they just all raised their levies across the entire empire. It was fantastic to look at, the french king raised all forces possible to take back some random country from a Dongattack baron and they just collectively stomped his entire army into the ground. They were pretty much 99% of them allied with eachother cause of the bloodline i guess, but were'nt too fussed at all about joining factions and stuff. Might do it this way in the next game also, was really nice seeing they swarm across europe without having to do a thing. It was kind of a pain to get back counties/titles and spread them out again to keep them individually weak tho, but thats the game.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

By the time games get to this point everything has generally slowed to a crawl though. It could be vaguely fun seeing such a clash or a collapse or roleplaying it etc if everything was whizzing along, but when you're chugging along at a day every five seconds on x4 it takes a lot out of it. Don't even get me started on ironman. I'd love to play a proper ironman game, but I cannot tolerate the 5-10 second pauses every minute or so. I had a really interesting game where I'd sworn fealty to the aztecs and planned to take them on from inside, but then my king died of pneumonia and I was left with a 1 year old duchess. Playing regencies is terrible and dull, and playing female rulers is also pretty terrible and dull (sorry). And playing both while your game is moving like a snail is pretty terrible and poo poo. It would have taken hours just get her to adulthood. So yeah, I just thought gently caress it and quit.

The fun in Ironman is having to eat whatever poo poo sandwich the game gives you and having to claw your way back from it over time. Sometimes the game's just mean and you really hate having to bend over and take it, such as having Crown Authority dropped three times over the course of a single regency, but something like losing a bunch of territory or being unable to plot-stab ambitious vassals for ten-plus years is something that's great fun fighting your way back from the setbacks.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

In my Amalfi->Rome game I managed to get a single Byz claim guy before my claim breeder popped her clogs. Unfortunately, my years of loyal support and the huge amounts of ducats that I've been funneling to the emperor has made the realm stronger than I've ever seen an AI Byz. I've seen them fight off every single rebellion, sometimes simultaneously beating the poo poo out of the massive Muslim realms and I dunno if I'm gonna be able to actually press the claim when my guy gets the Dogeship.

edit: I blame myself for my really awesome diplomacy stat and position as Chancellor keeping his vassals in line. He managed to implement Absolute CA almost immediately after regency and is now known as "The Great" at the age of 20. :gonk:

Give it time. Even when Byzantium's strong enough to handle all the Muslim realms at once, the sheer numbers of troops and generals involved and the Muslim nations' tendency to combine their stacks (especially once the Byzantines take Jerusalem and trigger jihads) mean that one careless move from either side can turn the tables. Eventually a surprise 20k stack with awesome leaders will pop out of nowhere and devour 15k of the Byzantine troops, and suddenly the Basileus will need everything he can call up just to smash the Islamic doomstack.

Also, no matter how strong your liege is, get enough of their vassals on your side and the AI won't be able to cope. When I carried out my Byzantine rebellion, there were only two vassals that didn't join my rebellion. If he's got Absolute CA, then that's, what, -30 to all vassals' relations with him? Even if he's liked by his vassals, that won't carry over to his heir; his death will be your opportunity.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I don't know if this is possible, but can you have your children educated by a muslim? I know you can do that to change cultures, but I don't know if it works for religion or if it even lets you give your kids to a muslim.

It should. I've absent-mindedly had children educated by Jewish courtiers before, with predictable results.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

DStecks posted:

It should. I've absent-mindedly had children educated by Jewish courtiers before, with predictable results.

But isn't that because there are events that put Jews in your court? I've never had good luck getting other religions to stick around my court.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I'm pretty sure that's only for the three Indian religions, and only to one of the other two.

The PG Gamer article said that it was for any ruler and any religion, and used European rulers and European religions as examples. We shall see, I suppose.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

TaurusTorus posted:

But isn't that because there are events that put Jews in your court? I've never had good luck getting other religions to stick around my court.

Well yeah, actually getting Muslims into your court is going to be tricky, but once they're there, using them to convert your children should be simple.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

I'm going to try and re-enact the story of King John plotting to convert England to Islam to get himself out under the thumb of the Pope.

Can I have a reference on that because that sounds suicidally stupid.

Is there a way to suggest new achievements?
I think reforming the Carolingian Empire with the count of Vermandois (last landed Karling) in the 1066 scenario would be a good one.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 20, 2014

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

They did mention that it would be possible for non-Indian religionists to convert to one of the Indian religions, but they'd start as an 'Untouchable' (I know that makes no sense as far as the simplified caste system goes, I hope they change it to Shudra instead of Untouchable) with massive relations penalties, and have to work their way up from there.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Can I have a reference on that because that sounds suicidally stupid.

It's a pretty common story but historians aren't exactly sold on it Wikipedia has a decent summary in this article.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

Give it time. Even when Byzantium's strong enough to handle all the Muslim realms at once, the sheer numbers of troops and generals involved and the Muslim nations' tendency to combine their stacks (especially once the Byzantines take Jerusalem and trigger jihads) mean that one careless move from either side can turn the tables. Eventually a surprise 20k stack with awesome leaders will pop out of nowhere and devour 15k of the Byzantine troops, and suddenly the Basileus will need everything he can call up just to smash the Islamic doomstack.

Also, no matter how strong your liege is, get enough of their vassals on your side and the AI won't be able to cope. When I carried out my Byzantine rebellion, there were only two vassals that didn't join my rebellion. If he's got Absolute CA, then that's, what, -30 to all vassals' relations with him? Even if he's liked by his vassals, that won't carry over to his heir; his death will be your opportunity.

Yeah it was just a test war, but it went south very fast. The AI rebels never consolidate, which is frustrating, they just sit in their home duchies and get hoovered up for massive war score. I tried to use my own core of soldiers to attack with mercs to supplement, but even with my own cataphracts the garbage soldiers you get from city holdings make for a fragile army.

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

DStecks posted:

Scotland becomes harder to take, though, since forming Ireland will cancel out any "Become King of Scotland" ambition, meaning you can't use that nice big subjugation CB.
You're already screwed on that though, as you are the only pagan in Scotland in 867 and you must conquest, and your prepped invasion that you start with counts as your subjugation as well.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

The fun in Ironman is having to eat whatever poo poo sandwich the game gives you and having to claw your way back from it over time. Sometimes the game's just mean and you really hate having to bend over and take it, such as having Crown Authority dropped three times over the course of a single regency, but something like losing a bunch of territory or being unable to plot-stab ambitious vassals for ten-plus years is something that's great fun fighting your way back from the setbacks.

I'm all for that and I love the idea, I just hate the fact it obnoxiously saves (slowly) every few seconds. It makes it night on unplayable. Is it better on faster machines because I have to admit I am running it on a ~5 year old laptop.

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome
So what are the chances that 5 sons being raised by Grey Eminences don't get a diplo trait? 2 of them were half trained by me before I handed them off but still...I just want a diplo son to elect as emperor.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

dPB posted:

So what are the chances that 5 sons being raised by Grey Eminences don't get a diplo trait?
Statistically zero.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

dPB posted:

So what are the chances that 5 sons being raised by Grey Eminences don't get a diplo trait? 2 of them were half trained by me before I handed them off but still...I just want a diplo son to elect as emperor.

3.125%, you should buy a lottery ticket with this luck.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

dPB posted:

Does the Grey Eminence maybe have traits that would make him a chickenshit educator? Or maybe that only applies to child trait events, I don't know.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

TaurusTorus posted:

3.125%, you should buy a lottery ticket with this luck.
It's 8% to not even get the education type of your mentor, having it happen five times in a row is 0.0003% by my math. Statistical zero.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

It's 8% to not even get the education type of your mentor, having it happen five times in a row is 0.0003% by my math. Statistical zero.

Ah, I did the odds of not getting Grey Eminence.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Dallan Invictus posted:

It's a pretty common story but historians aren't exactly sold on it Wikipedia has a decent summary in this article.

It might not be true but it is peak CK2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dallan Invictus posted:

That being said that provides a good framework for, in my opinion, how it should be implemented for a lot of the Abrahamic religions: A petition to the religious head based on your traits and relationship with the target. As evidenced by excommunication and otherwise, religion was a lot about how the head approved of you and sanctioned your actions.

• Locked thread