Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Aphrodite posted:

Comic Crisis on 2 Earths has no James Woods.

Isn't that the unofficial bridge between the two Justice League shows?

(Goddammit Netflix, why don't you have B:TAS and TNAS on as well as the rest of the DCAU??)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

Isn't that the unofficial bridge between the two Justice League shows?

(Goddammit Netflix, why don't you have B:TAS and TNAS on as well as the rest of the DCAU??)

Yup and it pretty much rules. I especially enjoy how it provides the explanation for Wonder Woman's invisible jet (the Crime Syndicate has some invisible jets and Diana steals one then decides to keep it cause why not?)

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Bown posted:

This is....horrible. Are all DCAU movies like this? The thought of someone being introduced to this story by watching the movie version actually makes me a little sad now.

Andrea Romano did an amazing job voice casting&directing Batman:TAS through JLU. For the animated DCU movies, (I think) she's done rather worse, casting names rather than voice acting ability. :(

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Also, of course, Batman: the Brave and the Bold also had great voice work. Case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh0m3Nh1gHY&t=290s

(This was a great episode, right up until the time when it started to totally suck.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Yup and it pretty much rules. I especially enjoy how it provides the explanation for Wonder Woman's invisible jet (the Crime Syndicate has some invisible jets and Diana steals one then decides to keep it cause why not?)

And yet in the Wonder Woman dedicated movie, it just appears with absolutely no explanation.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Well, it inspired a good friday night anyway.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Aphrodite posted:

Comic Crisis on 2 Earths has no James Woods.

Owlman redubbed from other James Woods works is pretty much a mandatory repost every time someone mentions this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPFbuaSBzNs

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

And yet in the Wonder Woman dedicated movie, it just appears with absolutely no explanation.

All the problems with that movie can be excused by Nathan Fillion's VA work.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

Spuckuk posted:

Well, it inspired a good friday night anyway.

I love me some Mitchell Royce, Two-Fisted Editor.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

DoctorDelaware posted:

I love me some Mitchell Royce, Two-Fisted Editor.

I love how after most of the series of looking like a fool, he has a job to do and just goes out and proves exactly why he's Spider's editor.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Uthor posted:

I love how after most of the series of looking like a fool, he has a job to do and just goes out and proves exactly why he's Spider's editor.

And spider, who hates everybody, admits he's a good man and a good editor.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
One of the character archetypes I admire most in fiction are those that are completely aware that they live in a hopeless, nihilist punchline of a universe, and choose to live in hope anyway.

So have some Attack On Titan, read right-to-left, and expect misery. Sasha, the comic relief character, is evacuating a village, and has found a survivor in the ruins. Sasha is completely unarmed, and has just lost her horse. Also, Titans are nigh-unkillable idiot murder machines.

Attack On Titan #36

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
The scene that really always got me in All-Star Superman is where Clark goes to interview Lex Luthor. Luthor, the smartest man in the world, hell, whose brainpower may be the highest in the entire DCU, promptly goes through a massive riot/breakout with Kent (with Kent surreptitiously using his powers to try and get it under control), and never once has the slightest inkling or clue that he is interacting with the object of his absolute hatred. Yes, there's more to the Clark Kent cover than a pair of glasses, but this is Lex Luthor, who can analyze something in five seconds and create a superior version in ten. And he never has a clue. He's just too narcissistic, megalomaniacal, sociopathic, and just plain BROKEN to even begin to notice anything. Clark registers as beneath him, and hence Luthor literally can't see something dangling right in front of his face.

It's the same reason the Dooms and the Wizards and all the other villains can't conceive of or properly execute a plan to make their enemies look bad by helping the world: because they're just too damaged to comprehend the idea of helping anyone but themselves. Even if they try, they'll screw up somewhere, or be unable to stand it, or find it empty. Really, it's the sad hole in most of ye old you-could-have-used-your-powers-for-good lament. Most of the time, no, they couldn't, any more than an unmedicated severe schizophrenic could stop himself from hearing voices. It's the great tragedy of supervillainy: there IS no redemption. Just the eternal cycle sometimes ending in final death.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 25, 2014

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Cornwind Evil posted:

The scene that really always got me in All-Star Superman is where Clark goes to interview Lex Luthor. Luthor, the smartest man in the world, hell, whose brainpower may be the highest in the entire DCU, promptly goes through a massive riot/breakout with Kent (with Kent surreptitiously using his powers to try and get it under control), and never once has the slightest inkling or clue that he is interacting with the object of his absolute hatred. Yes, there's more to the Clark Kent cover than a pair of glasses, but this is Lex Luthor, who can analyze something in five seconds and create a superior version in ten. And he never has a clue. He's just too narcissistic, megalomaniacal, sociopathic, and just plain BROKEN to even begin to notice anything. Clark registers as beneath him, and hence Luthor literally can't see something dangling right in front of his face.

The thing I like most about this series is the idea that Superman actually has three personas. Superman is his public face when he's out saving the world and being a role model. Clark Kent in Metropolis is his public face when he's dealing with people on a personal level and trying to understand their perspective. Clark Kent in Smallville is supposed to be him when no one's looking. He still has to pretend around his friends that he's bumbling and harmless, but the countryside lets him cut loose and play tree fetch with Krypto or fly to the moon.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Luthor is also convinced that Supes considers himself above mere humans and could never conceive of someone great pretending to be a nobody, because he himself never could do that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Here is a great Luthor moment in Superman 2 by Byrne

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Psykmoe posted:

Luthor is also convinced that Supes considers himself above mere humans and could never conceive of someone great pretending to be a nobody, because he himself never could do that.

The end of the Black Ring story in Action Comics was a great example of that. He assumes Superman can't understand human emotions, that the worst pain he could experience is totally alien and inhuman... and then he sees that it's Clark holding Pa Kent's body.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gaz-L posted:

The end of the Black Ring story in Action Comics was a great example of that. He assumes Superman can't understand human emotions, that the worst pain he could experience is totally alien and inhuman... and then he sees that it's Clark holding Pa Kent's body.

Well, that's a silly assumption. If I thought Superman couldn't understand human emotions, I'd think the worst pain he ever felt was the fight with Doomsday or something.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It is an interesting dichotomy. Luthor possibly sees Superman as his equal (because of how much power he has) and can't possibly understand why a being like Superman would help others. The idea of ultruism is so completely void in Luthor that he can't comprehend a powerful being having feelings that he does not. In a way, Superman is more human than Luthor is.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Well, that's a silly assumption. If I thought Superman couldn't understand human emotions, I'd think the worst pain he ever felt was the fight with Doomsday or something.

I think he does muse if that's the answer as he's using the power.

That arc is pretty awesome, by the way, especially in how different each issue is, sometimes even the same issue switching tones. You go from Lex battling Grodd and his giant BRAIN SPOON! To Lex having a near fatal fall and meeting Death of the Endless in about 2 pages and the whole thing shifts.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Gaz-L posted:

I think he does muse if that's the answer as he's using the power.

That arc is pretty awesome, by the way, especially in how different each issue is, sometimes even the same issue switching tones. You go from Lex battling Grodd and his giant BRAIN SPOON! To Lex having a near fatal fall and meeting Death of the Endless in about 2 pages and the whole thing shifts.

And then Joker kills the David Tennant look-alike and cracks wise about wanting to see if he'd turn into someone else.

He didn't.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

WickedHate posted:

This is a problematic assumption because if you assume that this alien does not understand human emotions, why would you assume that A) "pain" would even work to translate as both physical reaction and emotional distress since they're wired differently enough that they can't understand our emotions, and B) that they don't have some crazy complex system similar to human emotions that we don't understand, that would have be just as powerfully distressing to them as something is emotionally painful for us?

:goonsay:

Wizbang
Jan 13, 2005

"Y...you...oh...okay. I'll...
I'll be here if you change your mind...
we can be space cowboys together later...

Choco1980 posted:

Amazon has B:TAS in streaming; it's free if you have Prime

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Wizbang posted:

Amazon has B:TAS in streaming; it's free if you have Prime

Holy poo poo since when? How did I miss that?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This may have been posted already but I really don't care and honestly it could be posted on every page and I don't think it'd ever get old.

From Saga #14. You only need to absolutely know one thing-- the Lying Cat is some freaky alien cat with a supernatural sense of the truth, and always says "LYING!" when it hears someone lie:

The girl was also rescued from a bordello which helps inform the context of the page but I honestly think the dialogue makes it clear. Even if you didn't know she was a child prostitute it's clear she was a victim of sexual abuse.

I actually have a close relative that this reminds me of, and it really makes me wish I could share this with her without having to provide that context.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

mind the walrus posted:

The girl was also rescued from a bordello which helps inform the context of the page but I honestly think the dialogue makes it clear. Even if you didn't know she was a child prostitute it's clear she was a victim of sexual abuse.

The first time I saw this posted it took me a solid minute of noodling to figure that context out. I might just be extremely stupid, though.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
That's a great loving page.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

The first time I saw this posted it took me a solid minute of noodling to figure that context out. I might just be extremely stupid, though.

Based on what I've seen of your posts I wouldn't say that. We all have times where we're just stupendously thick for some reason.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

AnonSpore posted:

That's a great loving page.

It's a great loving book. Anyone not reading it is definitely wasting some small portion of their time.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So there's this from GL Vol.3, Kyle has recently broken up with Donna Troy because John Bryne said "gently caress You" to the GL writing team and killed her husband and child so he could have her abducted by the dark angel because he needed to fix her origin Her husband and child had died in a car crash while she was off meeting Kyles parents and then she was kidnapped by Dark Angel so her origin could become even more of a convoluted clusterfuck and she was reborn based on Wally Wests memories of her.

Anyway, There's this moment in issue #97 where Kyle, in between battling Darkseid, is talking to Allison, the woman who was basically penned as the "Replacement Love Interest" that was never triggered for whatever reason and Allison asks if Donna was "The One" Kyle said he didn't even know if there was a "The One" until...

Eventually he would wind up meeting her again after the Dark Angel mess, when he was dating Jen, Alan Scotts daughter, and she was dating Roy Harper. They get a bit catty at each other for their choices but then well...

Jen would wind up dumping him over this (since he admitted to it) which would wind up being hilariously ironic when she went and started having an affair while he was off in space fighting the Space Mafia but lets ignore the dumb... dumb... dumb loving poo poo that went on new the end of Vol.3 Lets skip to Ion, where Donna and Kyle are basically meeting each other for the first time in a while.

Ignore that really stupid poo poo leading in to Countdown, I always found it touching that he loved her as much as he did. I know Marz was on record that the worst thing when working on the book was having her pulled from it. This is also why I felt the claims in GLC from the Star Sapphires that his true love was Jen were kinda... I dunno? insincere? You can be told "These characters love each other" but it doesn't mean anything unless you can see it.

Anyway. To round off Kyle Appreciation Multiposts, Kyle's mother has just died, despite everyone trying their best to save her because we need to tie into Sinestro Corp War a sentient virus come down to kill her so Kyle would feel fear.

I'm just going to let it speak for itself

Sorry I had to post so many pages here. I don't think I could do it justice with just words.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

That was really great. Really great. I actually had stopped following GL by that point and knew that she died but never went to go read it for myself. Thanks.

Thanks for the effort in reminding me about how good Donna and Kyle could be, too. Can't think of other heroes as sappy and dopey as Kyle Rayner is about ladies.

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 12, 2014

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I don't have the page, but I seem to remember in JMS' run on Spider-Man, when Aunt May found out Peter's alter-ego, she wrote a letter (email?) to the Daily Bugle saying they should be fairer to Spider-Man. Or else she, an elderly person in their key demographic, would unsubscribe from the paper. I thought that was pretty sweet.

I always wondered how the original reveal with Aunt May in the clone saga years went. I heard it was touching too? (Before it was revealed that it was an actress.)

mind the walrus posted:

Saga:
I'd seen the page posted before but I never understood it. It seemed like the cat was saying the thing she was midway through saying was a lie. Not that the "dirty inside" part was the lie.

I totally thought it was about a young girl who made up horrendous accusations and was not heartwarming at all!

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

VagueRant posted:

I always wondered how the original reveal with Aunt May in the clone saga years went. I heard it was touching too? (Before it was revealed that it was an actress.)

It was incredible. They go to the top of the Empire State Building (as normal people) and she asks him what it's like swinging around the city. And then she tells him how proud she is.

Seriously, gently caress The Final Chapter so hard.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Senior Woodchuck posted:

It was incredible. They go to the top of the Empire State Building (as normal people) and she asks him what it's like swinging around the city. And then she tells him how proud she is.

Seriously, gently caress The Final Chapter so hard.

Spiderman 400

Here is some Harry too.

The Spectacular Spider-Man #200

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 13, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This one's a thumbnail, FYI.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What a chin on Aunt May.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The death of Harry Osborn tore me to my soul. I didn't read it until years later, shortly after I'd lost a very dear friend to a massive overdose and I was hiding in my closet reading comics so I didn't have to deal with his death.

Yeah, still hurts to read that book.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The best part of Harry's death is before those pages. He's set to kill himself and Spider-Man in a building, as he's littered it with bombs. Then he sees that MJ and Normie are walking around in there and he realizes that Spider-Man needs to get them to safety. Peter's equilibrium is destroyed and he can't, meaning it's up to Harry, who grabs the two and flies out of the building, stoked that he saved them from the explosion. MJ snaps at him for leaving Peter there.

"And my husband is in there? You left Peter there to die?!"

Harry has this wonderfully horrified and confused expression. "Yes! No! I... I don't know! I DON'T KNOW!"

And then rescues his buddy at the last second.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Dunno how "touching" this is but it's pretty good.

The short version is that Duane, the tall guy there is an undead mage and he and his temporary ward Sette are stuck in a border town in the country that is the USSR to Duane's USA. He doesn't consider himself a man anymore and refuses to magically disguise his rotted-out face as a regular person because he wavers when people look him in the eyes. He normally does this technique that messes with people's perspective of him so they don't notice him.

Sette doesn't want him doing this since it won't work well in this situation and gives him a lesson on lying. Incidentally Sette's life back home is a life of poverty, physical abuse, and mental abuse despite her purportedly being the daughter of a thief lord.

Duane was a rector in his church if you're wondering where the hell the 'rectum' line is coming from

Kinda :smith: if you look at it from her context.

(Unsounded)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
From today's Amazing X-Men #4:

Just...just got something in my eye.