Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
taladel
Jun 3, 2011

Fezzin' the days away...

What a Judas posted:

Old frames > fake frames they jokingly suggested when they "announced" purple as a color > FUT frames > modern frames

I can't find these, but are you referring to an issue of Inquest? Do you have an image?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Hamas
Nov 25, 2013

by XyloJW
kids these days don't know what it was like to open a pack of homelands and get Didgeridoo as a rare and a feast of the unicorn with the bad art

e: at least I hope they don't

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

taladel posted:

I can't find these, but are you referring to an issue of Inquest? Do you have an image?

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

King of Hamas posted:

kids these days don't know what it was like to open a pack of homelands and get Didgeridoo as a rare and a feast of the unicorn with the bad art

e: at least I hope they don't

Hey, give Didgeridoo its due. It's the most expensive card in Homelands.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

These look kinda cool, if unnecessarily spaced out.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So what are the odds Journey into Nyx will have a Legendary Minotaur that is both black and red?

I need a commander for Bullmen EDH.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
Those cards were less a joke and more of an early test, because newer cards in that same layout surely do exist in the wild.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I could have sworn Maro said that there would be a triple color Minotaur legend in Theros block but for the life of me I can find no evidence of such a statement.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

JerryLee posted:

That guy is just so excited to be chowing down on unicorn head :buddy:

:laffo: you're right. The dude looks positively ecstatic. It's clearly his favorite meal.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Kasonic posted:

Those cards were less a joke and more of an early test, because newer cards in that same layout surely do exist in the wild.

Graphically the genealogy between them and the actual modern card frame is pretty clear (and I can attest to the fact that that Inquest or whatever picture pre-dated even the hint of the 'real' modern frame). Is that what you mean?

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Is anyone else on MTGO, and did it just poo poo a brick or something:

Turn 3, my opponent plays Brimaz. Having played against Brimaz in one other match, my face went slightly paler.
I get my nice little 2/2 out there with the hopes of pumping him, probably getting 2 for 1'd in the process, but it's my only hope of stopping him. I disconnect. For about 6 minutes. I finally get back in to find my opponent disconnected right after me. And then he loses.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Those aren't fake though, some of those cards were printed.

Come on WAJ, you're the misprint and oddities guy around here you should know better!

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I've only done two drafts on MTGO, and both times the client froze and forced me to restart. The first time, I restarted the client to find that I had been kicked from the tournament. The second time the client froze and after restarting I found that opening the client resulted in a fatal error, forcing me to uninstall and reinstall the client.

Both times I filed for reimbursement, and both times they approved it. This looks like another time MTGO poo poo itself.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Count Bleck posted:

So what are the odds Journey into Nyx will have a Legendary Minotaur that is both black and red?

I need a commander for Bullmen EDH.

You don't like Mogis????

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

MTGO does currently indeed appear to have poo poo itself.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

tzirean posted:

MTGO does currently indeed appear to have poo poo itself.

Yeah, 8 people in this 16 queue are crossed off.....

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing

JerryLee posted:

Graphically the genealogy between them and the actual modern card frame is pretty clear (and I can attest to the fact that that Inquest or whatever picture pre-dated even the hint of the 'real' modern frame). Is that what you mean?

http://www.magiclibrarities.net/719-rarities-test-prints-press-checks-and-production-anomalies-english-cards-other.html

Call of the Herd front and center at the top. They're test prints that got out at some point, who can remember how.

I think putting a vertical mana cost on one corner of the card is a great idea, but as you can see it plays havoc with the rest of the card. The lands look nice.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Stinky Pit posted:

Come on WAJ, you're the misprint and oddities guy around here you should know better!

Test prints :rolleyes:

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Malgrin posted:

Yeah, 8 people in this 16 queue are crossed off.....

I just got back in to see the third pack of the draft I had entered, but that hadn't started, when MTGO went down. Guess I'm filing for compensation.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Hey man test prints are still real! and they certainly weren't a joke the way the color purple was. In an alternate universe they are stuck with that horrific modern frame.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I've always thought of Visions of Beyond as a great example of really solid recent artwork that is unique, striking, and just really well done.

Terese Nielsen is one of the only people still creating for MTG that falls outside of their typical style choices, and that's because she's grandfathered in.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

You don't like Mogis????

Not technically a Minotaur so it doesn't benefit from stuff like Ragemonger. That said that's who I'd pick for a Minotaur EDH deck, and it should totally have similar rules text to what older legendary creatures had, ala "~ counts as a Minotaur". That would actually be kind of busted though with all the nice Minotaur tribal effects in this block. Turn 2 goober Minotaur, Turn 3 Rageblood, Turn 4 Ragemonger, oops I'm casting a 7/5 Indestructible for 2 on turn 5 and oops, Kragma Warcaller with my remaining 3 mana. Deuces.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Is it against the rules or considered overly rude to help a brand new player at a draft? My fiancee is going to go with me to her first FNM and if she enjoys it I might see if she wants to do draft on sunday but she doesn't know the first thing about drafting, deck building, or card values. The deck she uses now I put together myself. On the offchance she lands some decent packs I'd hate to see good/valuable cards get passed because she didn't know better.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I've always thought of Visions of Beyond as a great example of really solid recent artwork that is unique, striking, and just really well done.

Terese Nielsen is a national treasure.

Specifically, I like that she's one of the only artists that gets away with nonliteral interpretations of things anymore:

I mean, okay, mopey card, but the art is pretty neat to look at. (Moreso if you know she used her own family photo albums for reference material. That's her as a child holding that sheep, IIRC.)

Or this thing I just saw today:

Again, draft-playable-constructed-useless, but that creature looks fierce, partly because I'm not just looking at a portrait of him - this is a mural or a fresco or something, an illuminated illustration.

We need more poo poo like that hanging around.

Also, my eyes are getting lovely and non-foil-new-frames are the easiest to read and recognize quickly.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Mezzanon posted:

You don't like Mogis????

It's not that I don't like Mogis, it's more that I want a Minotaur Lord that comes from a set full of Minotaurs.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Is it against the rules or considered overly rude to help a brand new player at a draft? My fiancee is going to go with me to her first FNM and if she enjoys it I might see if she wants to do draft on sunday but she doesn't know the first thing about drafting, deck building, or card values. The deck she uses now I put together myself. On the offchance she lands some decent packs I'd hate to see good/valuable cards get passed because she didn't know better.

I'd talk to the people there - we ran into the same situation on Black Friday, where we needed the one guy's girlfriend for our 8th person but she was still learning. We let her sit next to him and he helped her pick not terrible cards. Funnily enough, he ended up just barely knocking her out in the first round anyway.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Malgrin posted:

Is anyone else on MTGO, and did it just poo poo a brick or something:

Turn 3, my opponent plays Brimaz. Having played against Brimaz in one other match, my face went slightly paler.
I get my nice little 2/2 out there with the hopes of pumping him, probably getting 2 for 1'd in the process, but it's my only hope of stopping him. I disconnect. For about 6 minutes. I finally get back in to find my opponent disconnected right after me. And then he loses.

I'm unable to log in and i had just got into a sealed game.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Especially at an FNM, partnering up with her to help her learn to draft shouldn't be an issue. General rule stands, though: check with both those running and participating first (who will likely be ok with it).

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

LordSaturn posted:

Again, draft-playable-constructed-useless, but that creature looks fierce, partly because I'm not just looking at a portrait of him - this is a mural or a fresco or something, an illuminated illustration.

We need more poo poo like that hanging around.

Also, my eyes are getting lovely and non-foil-new-frames are the easiest to read and recognize quickly.

Mirage had possibly the best world-building of any block in Magic. Definitely of any older set. There was an large poem written for it.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Terese Nielsen is one of the only people still creating for MTG that falls outside of their typical style choices, and that's because she's grandfathered in.

No she's not. See: Steam Augery. Wizards likes to keep most of the art grounded in the world - which is why, regardless of style (and if you actually look at high-res versions of a lot of the art you'll see a good amount of it has a traditional style) a lot of the art is "samey", but they recognize that there are people that are fans of the more abstract, artistic pieces, which is why they'll send Terese art descriptions like:

quote:

ART DESCRIPTION:

Color: Blue spell (unguilded)
Action: Show a close up of a face that has just received all the knowledge in the universe. The expression is that of seeing the immensity of the infinite that both awes and terrifies. It is agony and ecstasy at the same time. At the edges, the face is beginning to fracture into geometric pieces, and the further out from the face that we go, the pieces are turning into all manner of birds, beasts and creatures that wriggle and crawl, flowers, trees, vines and symbolic script. The pieces are spaced more and more apart the further they are from the face as if the face is exploding apart revealing the infinite void.
Focus: The fracturing face.
Mood: Identity dissolved in infinite knowledge.
Notes: Terese, this is a powerful card that lets you draw your entire deck... you can cast anything! Please make it appropriately impressive and dramatic!

For Enter the Infinite. It's actually stunning how much detail is missing in the 2 inch version of so many of these pieces, I would recommend anybody that feels 90% of the modern magic art is boring garbage to actually take a look through some of the artist's galleries.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

LordSaturn posted:

Terese Nielsen is a national treasure.

I think this is her best magic art personally. Although I like most of the things she has done.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Made some Changes to Mono-B Aggro today. The changes were all last second, but they were super spicy, and I enjoyed the heck out of them.

My previous write-up on the list is here:

The new brew is as such:

Lands:

4x Temple of Malice
4x Blood Crypt
4x Mutavault
11 Swamp

// 23 Total

Creatures:

4x Tormented Hero
4x Pack Rat
4x Agent of Fates
3x Nighthowler
3x Herald of Torment
4x Grey Merchant

// 22 Total

Spells:

4x Thoughtseize
3x Eye Gouge
4x Hero's Downfall
3x Gift of Orzhova
1x Whip of erebos

// 15 Total

Sideboard:

2x Duress
3x Bile Blight
4x Dreadbore
4x Mizzium Mortars
2x Underworld Connections

// 15 Total

I like the changes so far. I played the deck in its earlier form at FNM last week, and its new form at Wednesday Night Standard this week.

FNM Report in decks old iteration (I go 3-1 and get 2nd, should have been first, but oh well):

R1 vs Rakdos Midrange(???) Win 2-1

G1: I lose game 1 after opponent goes Dreadbore -> Dreadbore -> Hero's Downfall -> Sire of Insanity. I have no immediate answer and have nothing on board.

I sideboard out Thoughtseize and Underworld Connections and side in ALL THE REMOVAL

G2: I go T1 Tormented Hero, T2 Temple and Tormented Hero, T3 Agent of Fates, T4 Gift of Orzhova on Agent of fates T5 bestow Nighthowler on Agent of fates.

G3: I do it. I live the loving dream. Opponent goes T1 Mutavault Pass. I go Swamp, pass. Opponent T2 goes Swamp, activate mutavault, swing in. I Eye Gouge that Mutavault. Opponent doesn't see second land until T5 gently caress the haters I lived the dream.

R2 vs Big Boros Win 2-0

G1: Flying Lifelink Nighthowlered Agent of Fates gets the job done.

Side out Thoughtseizes, side in Removal

G2: I have the removal, and Herald of Torment on Agent of Fates gets in for 6 all day.

Round 3 vs bant RAMP GOD Lose 1-2 (The worst part is, I get paired down for this matchup)

I've played against this match a fair amount (my friend loves this deck) and it usually comes down to who wins the die roll.

G1: Opponent gets Courser, Karametra, and Ephara going, that leads into card advantage and fatties and I peter out.

Side out Underworld Connections, side in Removal

G2: Agent goes off and his flying lifeline swings are more than my opponent can gain each turn. Opponent doesn't see Selesnya Charm, so gg me.

G3: I literally draw zero creatures. I remove most of his creatures for a while, but draw zero creatures, a disappointing end to a good match.

R4 vs Grixis Control/Superfriends Win 2-0

G1: Opponent gets Ral-Zarek, Chandra, and Jace on the board. But I have Pack Rat into Grey Merchant(s), so I win.

I side out 2x tormented hero, and 2x agent of fate. I side in 2x Duress, and 2x Hero's Downfall.

G2: I know that My opponent is packing Master of Cruelties and Sire of Insanity in his main, so it's good to have a little removal. Opponent Thoughtseizes a Pack Rat on T1, and then on T4 SLAUGHTER GAMES for Grey Merchant, which is a pretty loving spicy play that I respect the hell out of. Luckily I get a Pack rat and 2 Mutavaults. so I start pitching my lands to make more pack rats, throw a Gift of Orzhova on one of the pack rats, and just loving BARELY win the damage race against Ral-Zarek and Jace.

And now here's todays report at Wednesday Night Standard with the new deck changes. (I got 2-1 and get 2nd, story of my life)

R1 vs WRB burn: win 2-1

G1: I T1 thoughtseize and see a hand full of burn, oh gently caress. I make the opponent discard a Toil//trouble. I lose G1 when my opponent has burn for tormented hero, and both agent of fates. I have two herald of torments in play, opponent end of my turn Magma Jets me to the dome to make a young peezy token. He swings in, and leaves me at 1 life. On my upkeep I lose to double herald of torment trigger. How ignoble.

I sideboard out 4x Thoughtseize and 3x Underworld Connections. I side in 2x Duress, 3x Bile Blight, and 2x Hero's Downfall.

G2: a good back and forth game. I bestow a Herald of Torment on Tormented Hero, and start taking chunks of five out every turn. I have removal for Satyr Firedancer, and Young Peezy. Young Peezy eats an Eye Gouge, which is nice. Opponent begins to cast a boris charm to deal 4 to me and 4 to my Tormented Hero, so I bile Blight the Satyr in response which kills it before the trigger. I swing with my pants up hero, taking opponent to 1, do the math, and just Bile Blight my own Tormented Hero for lethal. Seems good.

G3: I end up with 2 pack rat tokens on board. Each with a Nighhowler bestowed on it at 5. One of the pack rats has a Gift of Orzhova. It is not pretty.

R2 vs Boros Heroic: Win 2-0

G1: I Thoughtseize T1 and see Favoured Hoplite, Phalanx Leader, Brave the Elements, Gods Willing. I take the Gods Willing because gently caress that. I cast creatures and they win vs his 1/1's because I took his good heroic enabler. I see a Hero of Iroas and an Eidolon of Countless Battles though.

I side out 3x Underworld Connections, and side in 3x Bile Blight.

G2: I keep a hand of Temple of Malice, Mutavault, Agent of Fates, Bile Blight, 3x Grey Merchant, gently caress yeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh. My temple scry reveals a swamp (thank god!) I get to Bile Blight triple Phalanx Leader which honestly feels pretty amazing. After that it's just a matter of time until I draw lands 4 and 5 and it's time for triple Grey Merchant. One gets killed blocking a Favoured Hoplite that was getting pretty big, the other eats a Chained to the rocks, and the third is enough for lethal so that's all she wrote.

R3 vs R/G Monstrous: Lose 1-2

G1: I thoughtseize T1 and see Temple, forest, 2x Voyaging satyr, Sylvan Caryatid, Polukranos, Garruk. I get rid of Garruk. Agent comes down, puts on Gift of Orzhova, and Nighthowler, second agent comes down. I ping a couple eye gouges off my Agents to force sacrifices, and the Opponent just fizzles and dies.

Sideboard in: All of the loving removal.

G2: I get an Agent with Gift of Orzhova, and a second agent on the ground. Opponent has a Stormbreath out and a Nylea's Disciple. Opponent activates Nykthos, Untaps it with voyaging satyr activates again, drops a second nykthos sacrificing the tapped nykthos, activates nykthos for a third time in his turn, and rips a Clan Defiance for 7 killing my blocker, dealing 7 to me, and letting him swing in for exactsies. What the ffffuuuuuuuuck.

G3: Opponent once against kills my flier, my ground dude, and dings me for 5 with a Clan Defiance. Jesus Christ. I top deck removal for a few turns, and then make the mistake of killing a Domri instead of a Courser of Kruphix. Then I brick land instead of drawing removal and a lose. Had I killed the courser I might have lasted the two turns necessary to make it to back to back night howlers. Oh well, live and learn.

My opponent is main decking 2x Clan Defiance. It blew me out in two games, gently caress this gay earth.

Anyways, that's the deck and the changed I've made to it. I stand by the changes, because now they give me game against a resolved Blood Baron. Splashing red for removal feels so good.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 20, 2014

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I use these lands in my Izzet deck:

Sometimes it backfires and I confuse myself which color of mana I'm tapping but man they look cool together.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Stinky Pit posted:

Font and the layout makes these look like Jyhad / Vampire: The Eternal Struggle cards to me.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
You shouldn't have to see Magic art in high res or full size for it to look good. If the art looks bad at the scale used on a Magic card, then it's not doing its job.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

whydirt posted:

You shouldn't have to see Magic art in high res or full size for it to look good. If the art looks bad at the scale used on a Magic card, then it's not doing its job.

But it doesn't look BAD at scale. It looks fine at scale, at least not any worse than most old magic art at scale. Phalanx Leader is a good looking piece of art on a card, but if you look at a high res version of it you can see the paint strokes. My point was that if you look closely at the art it's not just some homogenized mediocre art slapped onto cards so that they have cohesiveness, there's still a lot of quality compositions on Magic cards.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Mirage had possibly the best world-building of any block in Magic. Definitely of any older set. There was an large poem written for it.
Shadowmoor had another giant poem written for the Demigods.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kasonic posted:

I got a Rise of the Eldrazi common/uncommon playset on Ebay last year for $50, which was a total steal. I doubt anyone would put one up for Lorwyn/Shadowmoor, just due to the number of high value cards like Cursecatcher, Kitchen Finks, etc. Sounds like you'd have to put together that manually unless you can find a good "Quitting Magic here's everything" auction.

Some veterans consider Lorwyn one of their favorite draft sets, but it bombed horrifically among casuals and the mass market due to the board complexity it generated. Different strokes.

I actually like Shadowmoor a lot more than Lorwyn but that's mostly because I always got to get Silkbind Faeries :getin:. Drafting merfolk in Lorwyn was pretty fun too though.

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

I bought out a collection from a coworker and karakas was among one of the cards, why is it worth so much? its banned in any format it could be useful in? (EDH)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Inverse posted:

I bought out a collection from a coworker and karakas was among one of the cards, why is it worth so much? its banned in any format it could be useful in? (EDH)

It's a legacy staple.

• Locked thread