Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simoom
Nov 30, 2009

Seebach posted:

This reminds me.

What happened to the lakes, rivers, and seas that are made up of ingredients?

Or Booze.

Did Meteor Spice evaporate it all?

Isn't there an island made entirely of rice? Or a landmass that is chocolate pudding or some other nonsense.

I mean how did this attack destroy every possible food outcome in human world to require such a measure as the Billion Bird?

I think it was a desert full of rice. Like, in the big gourmet desert, there were a couple deserts full of ingredients. Or maybe in the mammoth biotope, there was like a grassland of rice, or some other delicious thing. There's a lot of food in this place though, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Keep in mind that the Four Beasts destroyed a lot of stuff before the Meteor Spice hit.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Serious Frolicking posted:

There are also the underground and aquatic ingredients. For that matter, why was every single seed, egg and embryo destroyed? It is kind of a silly situation.

After like 250 chapters of the most ludicrous bullshit imaginable, this is a silly situation? HIS HANDS SHOOT GIANT COOKING UTENSILS.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
"not enough food" in Torikoverse is probably "I can only find 200 pounds of the latest produce at the market!"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Tolth posted:

After like 250 chapters of the most ludicrous bullshit imaginable, this is a silly situation? HIS HANDS SHOOT GIANT COOKING UTENSILS.

One thing being silly doesn't preclude another thing from also being silly.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Tolth posted:

The thing is we were given context as to what happened to the land in human world via Meteor Spice, but to lose oceans teeming with life (and alcohol).

I just want to put this under plot hole mistake.

Unless of course Meteor spice hits water, and just nukes everything living upon contact.

So desserts of rice and oceans of booze were lost.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
So basically this is a stopgap before they go into the gourmet world and...presumably do ~something~ that'll revive the human world?? Kinda fuzzy on the details there.

Like, I thought god was supposed to just be the best ingredient ever? Maybe god is part of the planet and Komatsu will end up preparing the planet as an ingredient to revive it? :unsmigghh:

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Seebach posted:

The thing is we were given context as to what happened to the land in human world via Meteor Spice, but to lose oceans teeming with life (and alcohol).

I just want to put this under plot hole mistake.

Unless of course Meteor spice hits water, and just nukes everything living upon contact.

So desserts of rice and oceans of booze were lost.

Well a bunch of bishoukai switched sides and left, and 3 of the 4 heavenly kings were just dicking around for a year, so there probably werent too many people gathering these dangerous ingredients that did survive.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Serious Frolicking posted:

One thing being silly doesn't preclude another thing from also being silly.

That's not my point at all? It is rather strange to complain about the plot being silly when it has been absolutely ludicrous since the very start of the manga.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Terror Sweat posted:

Well a bunch of bishoukai switched sides and left, and 3 of the 4 heavenly kings were just dicking around for a year, so there probably werent too many people gathering these dangerous ingredients that did survive.

This is probably it. As far as we can tell the vast majority of people are just normal real world people, so the combination of lots of bishokukai leaving, parts of the world getting randomly nuked, and the fact that even the most basic ingredients are giant murderous hellbeasts means that they just don't have any way to get and distributes food to the billions of people in the torikoverse.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Meteor spice basically took out anything easy to get, your capture level 4s and lower, 5+ can take out tanks and oh poo poo the igo got its rear end handed to it and the tech destroyed.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Yeah and I imagine Capture Level 5+ ingredients probably started eating eachother or dying off fairly fast when all of the weaker stuff disappeared.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Well clearly the bird can only lay infinite eggs if its forelock is shaped like an infinity sign. That's like, Foodbiology 101.

And speaking of weird biology, I really want to know what got Sunny to cut his hair. I bet it tried to eat him in his sleep and he had to teach it a lesson.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Alopex posted:

Well clearly the bird can only lay infinite eggs if its forelock is shaped like an infinity sign. That's like, Foodbiology 101.

And speaking of weird biology, I really want to know what got Sunny to cut his hair. I bet it tried to eat him in his sleep and he had to teach it a lesson.

He didn't cut it, the ends are just too fine to be seen now.

vvv: that is also acceptable

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 20, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alopex posted:

Tommyrod's ghost possessed it and Sunny was so disgusted he cut it off/it escaped and is now roaming the land.

Cody Banks
Mar 7, 2013

Shugojin posted:

He didn't cut it, the ends are just too fine to be seen now.

If Mitsutoshi doesn't invoke string theory for Sunny's ultimate power-up I will be very disappointed.

MegaCharger
Jul 12, 2006
Animate
I like how in the world of delicious food animals, you can go extinct by being tasting like poo poo so nobody eats you. Toriko logic is the best logic.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cody Banks posted:

If Mitsutoshi doesn't invoke string theory for Sunny's ultimate power-up I will be very disappointed.

Nah, it'll be Life Fibers

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

MegaCharger posted:

I like how in the world of delicious food animals, you can go extinct by being tasting like poo poo so nobody eats you. Toriko logic is the best logic.

Technically this could be actual logic though

The creature adapted so that everytime it was attacked it layed droves of eggs so that it could escape. This "evolution" so to speak could have just made it to the point that reproduction to preserve its species didn't take place anymore.

Later, as animals/Bishokuya became wise to the Billion Birds antics, they stopped consuming the eggs. Since the Billion Bird was no longer attacked, it didn't lay eggs, and because its normal reproduction doesn't take place anymore, it simply went extinct.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
The anime is getting weird :psyduck:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Seebach posted:

Technically this could be actual logic though

The creature adapted so that everytime it was attacked it layed droves of eggs so that it could escape. This "evolution" so to speak could have just made it to the point that reproduction to preserve its species didn't take place anymore.

Later, as animals/Bishokuya became wise to the Billion Birds antics, they stopped consuming the eggs. Since the Billion Bird was no longer attacked, it didn't lay eggs, and because its normal reproduction doesn't take place anymore, it simply went extinct.

We're dealing with Earth after the gourmet asteroid hit and now the planet has 4^3 more volume but the same gravity, and wild animals that can stand up to an entire nation's military might.

Plus some crazy powerful organization is involved with heading into space, probably to find the source of gourmet asteroids where capture levels reach 6-7 digits and even tasting a scrap of its flesh will turn anyone into a pre timeskip level Bishouyka, and cooking it properly (which only Komatsu could do) will literally make someone into pure gourmet energy.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
The best part of this manga is how you can throw out any scenario from your wildest of imaginations and it is still completely plausible to happen

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The best part is that you can throw out any theory and no matter how wild you make it you'll always come short.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
There's probably a gourmet pulsar out there sending out waves of pure hunger radiation and you have to armor yourself and your food-ship with Ultimate Food Honor in order to reach the core of infinitely-dense pudding or some poo poo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Toriko/Ch-468--Miracle-Eggs--?id=188806

So, they used the beautiful glistening effect when the egg popped out of a bird's cloaca. The punchline to the marriage stuff is coming, and I absolutely cannot wait. The main plot can go gently caress itself.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
It's certainly nothing to bat an eye at.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

So freaking good, I dont really have much else to say. Im glad Torikos gotten back on track

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hahahahaha the Billion Bird is awesome. Look at it with its giant wings but still with that shabby-looking face.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I love that the answer to "How to make the Billion Bird not taste like poo poo" is that no one gives a drat because it's not a food pill.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

:shobon: I missed the crazy ingredients getting crazier, over the top reactions, and Toriko's FULL course, not just God.

Welcome back. :allears: Hope it stays a while.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Komatsu is so pretty! Haha

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
Well there goes my theory that the billion birds were immature Nitros.

Kuso Meriken
Jun 30, 2007

dazoner posted:

Well there goes my theory that the billion birds were immature Nitros.
"This isn't even my final form!"

There's something very "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" about being so amiable with an animal you're praising for tasting delicious.

When Toriko's hair grew I thought he looked a lot like Midora, but that's probably just because of the author's style.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Mr. Maltose posted:

I love that the answer to "How to make the Billion Bird not taste like poo poo" is that no one gives a drat because it's not a food pill.

I got the feeling it was just mediocre, kind of like how they would react to a real-world chicken.

Also the true answer was clearly give that motherfucker a hug

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Shugojin posted:

I got the feeling it was just mediocre, kind of like how they would react to a real-world chicken.

Also the true answer was clearly give that motherfucker a hug

Yeah, in the real world eating fried chicken does not make you shed tears of pure joy and also if you have a specific genetic condition actually grow swole-er, so I think it's understandable that people in the Toriko universe would be sort of ho hum about it.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

This god drat manga always puts a smile on my face, and a rumble in my stomach.

Welcome back the true essence of Toriko.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Wow. That dish looked absolutely amazing, best since Rainbow fruit, maybe even better. It's just goop, but somehow it worked so well.....

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 27, 2014

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The Oil King restaurant is the fast food of the Toriko universe and it's probably still healthier than anything in the real world.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Oil cook probably uses super healthy mega-oils instead of the cheapo frystuff at your local chicken shack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009

No Wave posted:

Wow. That dish looked absolutely amazing, best since Rainbow fruit, maybe even better. It's just goop, but somehow it worked so well.....

Yessss I really, REALLY wanted to drink an egg after reading that, maybe more than I've ever wanted to drink anything before, and that's why Toriko is the best.

• Locked thread