Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's not really fair to compare him with Amell, The Dude Who is the Coolest Dude with His Fans Ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Dexo posted:

I'm going out on a limb and making the assumption that Agents of Shield is kicking Arrow's rear end in ratings

It's not a critically acclaimed show. But Agents of Shield still pulls in more than anything the CW could hope to pull.

The CW has a much smaller market share than NBC. So, yes. The thing we're comparing isn't how many people are watching. We're wanting to know what the viewers are thinking. If S.H.I.E.L.D. is frustrating viewers, that's bad, even if they have a million more viewers than Arrow, because if Arrow is satisfying its viewers, it is likely that they keep watching, and draw in more viewers. As it stands, I have no intention of even starting to watch AoS. I already have one really good superhero show to watch, and the other is apparently middling at best. Meanwhile, Arrow keeps delivering what I want to watch.

Arrow would get canceled on NBC if it was pulling CW numbers. On the CW, it's a goose laying nine pound golden eggs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ollie Rules. Coulson drools.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

VDay posted:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/entertainment2/57462732-223/episodes-sltrib-fans-gregg.html.csp

He clarifies it a bit, but the general gist is that he's really frustrated with people who criticize the show and thinks that they're just not being patient. Which is kind of a ridiculous thing to say considering it's had more than a dozen episodes and is only now looking like there might be something interesting on the horizon.

e: Beaten, but here's the quote at the very end:

It's not even a retraction. It's in the same article even. AoS is at best a mediocre show on an uptick as it gets more serial but the Salt Lake Tribune is definitely playing a selective editing game to make the comment seem worse.

"Her...sweet...sweet...can".

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Warmachine posted:

The CW has a much smaller market share than NBC. So, yes. The thing we're comparing isn't how many people are watching. We're wanting to know what the viewers are thinking. If S.H.I.E.L.D. is frustrating viewers, that's bad, even if they have a million more viewers than Arrow, because if Arrow is satisfying its viewers, it is likely that they keep watching, and draw in more viewers. As it stands, I have no intention of even starting to watch AoS. I already have one really good superhero show to watch, and the other is apparently middling at best. Meanwhile, Arrow keeps delivering what I want to watch.

Arrow would get canceled on NBC if it was pulling CW numbers. On the CW, it's a goose laying nine pound golden eggs.

Dude, don't you mean ABC?
ABC, the actual network that Agents of SHIELD is airing on?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Just to put things in perspective, the average shoot for a single episode of TV runs about 7-9 days (with weekend breaks built in of course) with cast and crew working 10-12 hours a day. And for effects-heavy genre shows, the time commitment and the physical demands, stuntmen or no, are going to be on the higher end.

If you're one of the stars of the show, that's your LIFE for six months. Your personal life outside of your fellow cast, your writers, select crew, and -- if you're lucky and clever -- your family is non-existent. And you do this because you're all committed to a cause. And when that cause comes under attack by a fanbase that, let's be real, is often characterized as a bunch of loving mouth-breathers for understandable reasons, linking arms is not an irrational response.

I'm not saying that Gregg's statement wasn't lovely. It'd be great if he had Stephen Amell's humble charm, and it'd be great if he could shrug off such questions with "Well, poo poo, Bobby, I'm just grateful for the fans we have." But part of the reason why Amell has that charm is because the base is on loving fire for this show and that allows anyone's better natures to come out. What Gregg demonstrated with his statement was a different kind of loyalty; not PR-friendly, but respectable in its own way.

And not for nothing, but this has less to do with Arrow and more to do with "scoring points off the more hyped show to prop up Arrow," which (as Amell himself pointed out!) is disrespectful in its own way. And I say that as someone who jumped off the SHIELD train midseason.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I'd be pissed if I was 12+ episodes deep in a show that still isn't going anywhere, too. He can't say anything bad about the show runners so he's just venting. AoS is Bad and is damaging the reputation of the actor and the franchise, so his frustration is very understandable. Obviously it's a lovely thing to say about the fans, but it's pretty clear that his real frustration is that the show isn't going anywhere, not that the fans aren't patient.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Taffer posted:

I'd be pissed if I was 12+ episodes deep in a show that still isn't going anywhere, too. He can't say anything bad about the show runners so he's just venting. AoS is Bad and is damaging the reputation of the actor and the franchise, so his frustration is very understandable. Obviously it's a lovely thing to say about the fans, but it's pretty clear that his real frustration is that the show isn't going anywhere, not that the fans aren't patient.

I haven't seen this interview or whatever, but if my entire career was pretty much defined by an ongoing bit role in the Marvel movies, and then the lead in a show that can't seem to figure out what it wants to be, I could see being a little (a lot) frustrated and worried about my future career.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He probably knows Coulson's big secret too. I imagine that can only add to the frustration if it's something cool and not super disappointing.

Taffer posted:

He was in The New Adventures of Old Christine, he's used to it.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Gregg will probably continue to find steady character actor work if and when they stop giving him opportunities to play Coulson. Still, I'm sure the Whedons and Jeph Loeb and whoever else sold him on AoS being a long-term tentpole show for ABC, so it's got to be frustrating to see the dwindling ratings.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Aphrodite posted:

He was in The New Adventures of Old Christine, he's used to it.

I only saw a few episodes but that made me interested on the dude, he seemed like a chill dude.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Man_at_desk posted:

I want to enjoy laurel. However her abysmal acting and Dorito shaped head makes me wish for her death, in an emotional yet plot advancing season finale.

I want the show runners to be reading this thread, and decide to start trolling us by making Laurel constantly munch on Doritos in every scene.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
But wouldn't that actually end up fixing the problem

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Yeah, gently caress Clark Gregg.
Not our fault you're attached to a terrible show.

Just goes to show that the Whedon bloodline isn't perfect.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

BrianWilly posted:

But wouldn't that actually end up fixing the problem

They'd use Prop Doritos: No calories!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

tuluk posted:

Dude, don't you mean ABC?
ABC, the actual network that Agents of SHIELD is airing on?

I'm a streamer. Like I know about these things called 'networks.' But yes, that. I apparently confused it with Revolution.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I only saw a few episodes but that made me interested on the dude, he seemed like a chill dude.

He is a bit of a cuddler

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I am not sure what a lot of people seem to expect from Agents of SHIELD. I'm perfectly fine with it not being super connected to the movies (Arrow is free of such weird expectations), I just would like it to be better television. Like Arrow!
(note: I haven't watched AoS since the mid-season break)

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I kinda want Ming-Na Wen to jump ship and come be on Arrow and play Lady Shiva. It'll never happen as her current job is probably better for her career but I could watch her glare hatefully for days :allears:

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

VagueRant posted:

I am not sure what a lot of people seem to expect from Agents of SHIELD. I'm perfectly fine with it not being super connected to the movies (Arrow is free of such weird expectations), I just would like it to be better television. Like Arrow!
(note: I haven't watched AoS since the mid-season break)

The gently caress? Arrow wasn't conceived, casted, written, and marketed specifically as a tie in to an existing movie franchise. Expecting AoS to be connected to the movies is a weird expectation in the same way that it's "weird" to expect ice cream to contain dairy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SHIELD already has one terrible thread, let's not give it two.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Hey, we gotta do something during these weeks of famine

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Taffer posted:

Hey, we gotta do something during these weeks of famine

There's a woman made entirely of Doritos to feed that famine.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Drifter posted:

There's a woman made entirely of Doritos to feed that famine.

No, that's way worse than SHIELD chat.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Deadpool posted:

No, that's way worse than SHIELD chat.

It's clear where this thread devolves when there's no show.

:sigh:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Drifter posted:

It's a thread full of comic book nerds, what did you expect?

At least there are fewer reasons to complain about this show.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DivisionPost posted:

At least there are fewer reasons to complain about this show.

It's a good show.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Drifter posted:

We could always go back to Moira Queen's chilli chat.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Lord Bude posted:

We could always go back to Moira Queen's chilli chat.

I hope they kill her off because her character is pretty worthless now. I still can't believe she is running for mayor. Unless that is just the set up to have Blood or Slade kill her.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I hope they kill her off because her character is pretty worthless now. I still can't believe she is running for mayor. Unless that is just the set up to have Blood or Slade kill her.

Yeah, a morally ambiguous maternal figure who will probably end up in a seat of power who also isn't on anybody's side except the one that defends her family is worthless. Can't think of any way that could be interesting later on.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bad Moon posted:

Yeah, a morally ambiguous maternal figure who will probably end up in a seat of power who also isn't on anybody's side except the one that defends her family is worthless. Can't think of any way that could be interesting later on.

Speaking of parents, they should bring back Barrowman so he can hang out with Thea. Doing stuff. Assassin stuff? who knows.

And still kill off Moira :colbert:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Bad Moon posted:

Yeah, I actually like Moira because she isn't so cut and dry. She is absolutely a villain, but she's also a person - it's easy to understand her reasoning on a lot of her decisions even if you don't absolutely agree with them. It's nice to have a superhero show where everybody isn't a cackling supervillian, it helps to draw a contrast between those who are and aren't and gives variety.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Dexo posted:

I'm going out on a limb and making the assumption that Agents of Shield is kicking Arrow's rear end in ratings

It's not a critically acclaimed show. But Agents of Shield still pulls in more than anything the CW could hope to pull.

CW is the red-headed step child of network TV. It pretty much only exists between 8-10 PM on weekdays, and is a local affiliate rerun channel the rest of the time. A surprising number of people believe its a cable channel and not an over the air network. The CW is pretty much off the radar for most households in the country, and the only thing the average person could tell you about it is that its the Gossip Girl channel. Game of Thrones could air on the CW and it would probably only get 1/3rd the ratings of whatever is airing on CBS/ABC at the time.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Also, Arrow's budget is hilariously small in comparison to your average network drama. It's even more comically tiny when comparison to Agents of SHIELD, which supposedly is ABC's most expensive show.

Which baffles me, because SHIELD looks like a subpar mid90s show at points - the special effects team is either asleep at the wheel, incompetent, or flat out doesn't care - or all three.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
SHIELD looks like it has half of Firefly's budget. That show just looks like poo poo.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 20, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Arrow please never go on hiatus again.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Knock off the SHIELD chat. Take it to that thread.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So Ollie is never shown with a penchant for computers and relies on Felicity for everything computer. But where did he get a wifi hacking arrow in the pilot then?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

greatn posted:

So Ollie is never shown with a penchant for computers and relies on Felicity for everything computer. But where did he get a wifi hacking arrow in the pilot then?

Radio Shack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deadpool posted:

Knock off the SHIELD chat. Take it to that thread.

This hiatus is KILLING us.

• Locked thread