Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
For some reason I thought Inside No 9 was a documentary about the house in Downing Street :laffo: so I never really paid any attention to it or the conversation about it in here.

I'm most of the way through the first episode and it's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Mr Beens posted:

I just can't stand the current regulars - Sandi Toksvig, Jeremy Hardy and some other bloke who is on it all the time are a bunch of smug twats.

Hugo Rifkind? Because he's more or less the anti-Jeremy Hardy surely?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

ookiimarukochan posted:

I don't listen to the News Quiz so I had to look him up. Haha the BBC really gave Malcolm Rifkind's son a job on their radio satire show? BBC's leftist bias strikes again.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
2nd episode of Inside No 9 was even more amazing.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Fatkraken posted:

Apropos of news-satire chat, for anyone that's interested, some kindly soul has put the ENTIRE run of Friday/Saturday night Armistice, as far as I can discern, on youtube. Shouldn't be :filez: as I don't imagine they are commercially available anywhere. Observations: they hold up pretty drat well though the pacing is a little generous at times, the deadpan delivery is great, the presenters really do seem to know UK politics of the time inside out, and it's nearly 20 goddamn years old :cry:

This is amazing

As an aside, I put shitloads of 11 O clock show on YouTube. Check the channel 11ocs.

It's occasionally great and sometimes poo poo.

Seriously there's like 60 episodes or something

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

thehustler posted:

This is amazing

As an aside, I put shitloads of 11 O clock show on YouTube. Check the channel 11ocs.

It's occasionally great and sometimes poo poo.

Seriously there's like 60 episodes or something

drat nice moves.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

SuperHunBastard1690 posted:

drat nice moves.

It's all down to a certain lanky comedian and the fact that his mother records every bit of tv he does.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

thehustler posted:

It's all down to a certain lanky comedian and the fact that his mother records every bit of tv he does.

I clicked a random episode and it has held up pretty well. :allears: daisy donovan

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Any attempt at satire these days seems to be construed as a left wing attack on the government, see the Sherlock Boris newspaper article thing. From the way the right wing dead trees behave, having a sense of humour is something grossly offensive.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Do you really call papers "dead trees"?

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Aaaah, Michael Mosleys' programmes for BBC4 are so weird. Not content with huffing ether and injecting the ol' sodium thiopental like there's no tomorrow, he's now guzzling tapeworms and having hairdressers plop wriggling little headlice onto his body.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Mr. Squishy posted:

Do you really call papers "dead trees"?

Mostly no, but it makes a good contrast sometimes between the press and new media :)

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Thought I'd watch the Brits - feels more like the One Direction Roast presented by James Cordon. What a bellend.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

onoflalks posted:

Speaking of great news and thread favourites, Chris Morris will be in the new series of Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle, which starts a week on Saturday (the 1st of March).
The Armando interview segments in the second series were a great move - cutting down on the hit-and-miss sketches for the much more enjoyable head-to-head chats did the show good (plus made it cheap enough to commission!). Morris did a set of improvised interviews with Peter Cook called Why Bother? - so I'm expecting good things from him in this role.

Also to try and head off the same arguments over the show each week: Stewart Lee's arrogant persona is part of both the performance and the joke. It is possible to be aware of this and still not enjoy his comedy. It would be swell if we could skip past all the "how do you enjoy this self-important twat" and "you just don't get it man" posts.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Looke posted:

Thought I'd watch the Brits - feels more like the One Direction Roast presented by James Cordon. What a bellend.

Am I the only one weirded out by the fact One Direction don't look 15 any more? :psyduck:

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Or by the fact that anyone can stand within 3 metres of James Cordon without smacking him in his fat gob.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Line of Duty and Inside Number 9 are the best things on British TV atm. Inside Number 9 is especially well written. Little predictable this week but enjoyable nonetheless.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Just wanted to pop in and confirm that Inside Nimber 9 is absolutely fantastic. Carry on.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
James Corden actually is a genuinely good comedic actor when he's given the right material, he was great in Gavin and Stacey and sensational in One Man Two Guvnors on stage, it's just gently caress whoever told him he would make a good presenter/television personality. It's sad to see that his career is heading towards the latter rather than former.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Line of Duty and Inside Number 9 are the best things on British TV atm. Inside Number 9 is especially well written. Little predictable this week but enjoyable nonetheless.

I only watched the first ep of season 1 of this and thought it was drivelling tosh. What makes it so good? None of it was credible or believable.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

WastedJoker posted:

I only watched the first ep of season 1 of this and thought it was drivelling tosh. What makes it so good? None of it was credible or believable.

Yeah, I watched the first couple of the first series and it was so over the top it was laughable. Does it improve or is it just not for me?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I've never seen the previous seasons, and I don't tend to watch crime shows in general, but I really enjoyed the opening two episodes. I don't really care if it's realistic, but I dunno how that could be important in a tv crime thing.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
Just watched this trash about cam-girls....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03w2w8t/The_Truth_about_Webcam_Girls/
It's as depressing as you'd expect.

Only watch poo poo like this in a window on computer whilst multi-tasking, don't actually sit down ad lose an hour of life to it.

--fake edit--
by "multi-tasking" I don't mean wanking.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

SuperHunBastard1690 posted:

I clicked a random episode and it has held up pretty well. :allears: daisy donovan
Shes so dreamy. I wish she was on TV more. I know that she did something last year but that was the first time in ages.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

onoflalks posted:

This is great news.

Speaking of great news and thread favourites, Chris Morris will be in the new series of Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle, which starts a week on Saturday (the 1st of March).

That's an awful day! I know I can iplayer it, but I'd prefer to watch it when everyone else does.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Uhh, yeah, if you're not watching Inside No. 9 right now you're doing yourself a disservice. Third episode wasn't quite as good as last week's but I love that they're giving these guys the opportunity to tell these little stories like this. Kinda cements their status as British comedy legends imo (although I am biased, being a massive League of Gentlemen fan).

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I just watched the first episode of Inside No.9 and I have to say I'm impressed. It's more subdued than their previous work, but also much more atmospheric. And every bit as dark.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
For me it's easily as good as League of Gentleman, just in a different way.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Comedy radio station launches

It's a subscription app and might be interesting. Not sure I'd pay for it straight off the bat, but there may be some good stuff on there and hopefully it will do well.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
I can't be the only one who finds this Jam'ie tat on BBC3 abhorrent, right?
I mean, I know almost nothing BBC3 does is particularily good, but this just seems really offensive. Also really racist.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ja'mie has enough material for one filler sketch at best. It's 2014 and we're still supposed to say 'Ha ha, it's a man in a dress?'

Rewatch Cardinal Burns on 4oD if you want to see dress-up comedy done right.

Also joining in with the love for Inside no. 9, watched the 'itinerant' episode last night. Laughs were a bit slow in coming during the body of it, but it was so worth it for the payoff.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

ookiimarukochan posted:

No idea who that is :) Just had to look up the guy I meant - Francis Wheen

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Don't Sit In The Front Row must surely be the most boring, pointless panel show in history. What the hell were they thinking?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Ja'mie has always been Chris Lilley's weakest character because, yeah, the whole joke is "Ha, it's a grown man dressed as a teenage girl".

Like, it was tolerable in Summer Heights High, because there were plenty of other characters too.

Although, let's be honest, he nailed it with Angry Boys (as long as you don't count him HONEST TO GOD BLACKING UP)

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

The joke about Ja'mie is that shes a parody of teenage girls and it works because shes a pretty accurate depiction of the nastier side of teenage girls and Lilley is pretty good at depicting her.

The problem is that much like most parody characters, shes really one note. Her thing is that she wants to be this popular person whos loved for her good qualities but is actually an atrocious human being. It works when you only spend a few minutes with her person episode but I'd imagine than an entire show about her is unbearable.

Besides, the real stand out star in Summer Heights High is clearly Jonah. And you know what? Theres no chance I'm going to watch that TV series either.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I can't be the only one who finds this Jam'ie tat on BBC3 abhorrent, right?
I mean, I know almost nothing BBC3 does is particularily good, but this just seems really offensive. Also really racist.
No I tried out of curiosity, lasted 10 minutes (if that). Complete one trick pony and just not funny. e: ^^ oh was it a sketch on something somewhere? That would work for a couple of mins. Whole program though .... nah. You get the joke within 30 seconds and thats it really ... innit :)

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 21, 2014

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
Did anybody watch "The Brits who Built the Modern World"? Slightly cheesy title aside, I really liked the first episode last week and I am very glad to see that the BBC still does the OU programmes.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Hollow Talk posted:

Did anybody watch "The Brits who Built the Modern World"? Slightly cheesy title aside, I really liked the first episode last week and I am very glad to see that the BBC still does the OU programmes.

Jonathan Meades's rant about Brutalism was good as well:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/b03vrphc/

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

cloudchamber posted:

I felt kind of like I had been lamped in the face with a concrete hammer while watching that; his style is very...forceful.

Very interesting though, and raised a lot of questions in my previously empty brain about why we perceive some styles of building as beautiful and some ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

cloudchamber posted:

Irisi posted:

I felt kind of like I had been lamped in the face with a concrete hammer while watching that; his style is very...forceful.

Very interesting though, and raised a lot of questions in my previously empty brain about why we perceive some styles of building as beautiful and some ugly.

I started watching it but found him annoying to the point where it reached unbearable and I stopped watching it. It's a pity, because it looked really interesting! Unfortunately, I felt as if he threw around phrase after phrase, all of it poorly connected and needlessly opaque. For me, it was felt way too pretentious, really :( In a way, I was rather happy the other show wasn't like it!