Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

What is with stage 28, the first one with the red flyers? I can never get into it with a full group. Are people just leaving because the loading time is extra long? It's hard as hell too. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Top Gym Pumper posted:

What is with stage 28, the first one with the red flyers? I can never get into it with a full group. Are people just leaving because the loading time is extra long? It's hard as hell too. :smith:
Is there some reason you need a full group? Just one more player makes a big difference I think, one of them to be an air raider and set up turrets or something, and the other to knock away the red flyers while he is doing it.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there some reason you need a full group? Just one more player makes a big difference I think, one of them to be an air raider and set up turrets or something, and the other to knock away the red flyers while he is doing it.

yeah I dunno I don't think I've ever managed to kill a single one.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Top Gym Pumper posted:

Yeah, they are tough as gently caress and one full hit from their blasters might kill you. Just use a combination of rockets and guided missiles (the multi-missile launchers that all lock onto a single target are especially useful) and keep hitting like a bee and dancing like a butterfly.

Speaking of which, EDF still needs giant butterflies/moths, Mothra style.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
If you'd add the metatag HOWCANYOUMISS to the OP, that'd be great too.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Finally got it by going Lancer and slowly slowly slowly plinking away at them with the biggest gun I had.

Miker525
Jan 2, 2011
Aww yeah game just showed up for me today. Kinda pissed as it was supposed to be here yesterday but no big deal. Got plans with my roommate to play through whole game co-op this weekend and couldn't be more excited!

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
This game is extremely great. So refreshing after IA. The laser chainsaw is fantastic.

Dr. Video Games 0041
Sep 15, 2007

He's watching you!
Hey PSN goons, my copy just finished installing and I'd rather not play with pubbies. Add me up!

PSN - DigitalBees12a

Dr. Video Games 0041 fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 20, 2014

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
I added a bunch of goonsEDF's Finest on PSN; and I will periodically send out invites to everyone I see online playing EDF to join games if there's room. Since Normal mode is so restricted in what equipment you can use though, I've been running my rooms on Hard.

If this is a problem for you, just say something and I'll be glad to turn the difficulty down so you can get some sweet guns (or I'll change the mission if you want to get sweeter guns on a higher difficulty)

quote:

The laser chainsaw is fantastic.
Yes. Yes it is. :unsmigghh:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Just froze in the middle of whatever level it is where you go to take down the mothership. Welp.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Anyone up for playing the 360 version please add me, xbox live: stringer de11

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Top Gym Pumper posted:

Shotguns work great against those mother fuckers. If you have a strong sniper rifle that's good too, assuming you are playing through as a Ranger. I moved back to them today, flying was nice but I missed rolling.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I wish I knew about the whole dual wielding cannons makes them fire faster sooner. It has made the NCS1 Cannon Shot a force to be reckoned with.

Joey Donuts
Feb 19, 2004

My code word will be: Endurance.
What's the best way to make progress in this game? I was going through single-player linearly, then I tried to find a co-op game where people were playing the mission I was up to. I did and played a few more missions in co-op, but when I came back to single-player none of that co-op progress was recorded.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Joey Donuts posted:

What's the best way to make progress in this game? I was going through single-player linearly, then I tried to find a co-op game where people were playing the mission I was up to. I did and played a few more missions in co-op, but when I came back to single-player none of that co-op progress was recorded.

Couch coop.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

How do weapon pickups work in co-op? Is it guaranteed to be for the class of the player picking it up?

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

How do weapon pickups work in co-op? Is it guaranteed to be for the class of the player picking it up?

For online everyone gets weapons for the class they are playing, regardless of who picked it up.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Joey Donuts posted:

Your online and offline mission progress are seperate.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Enter Char posted:

For online everyone gets weapons for the class they are playing, regardless of who picked it up.

I mean for couch co-op. It seems to only give the pickup class, or maybe it's randomized between the two and we've just been exceedingly unlucky.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

I mean for couch co-op. It seems to only give the pickup class, or maybe it's randomized between the two and we've just been exceedingly unlucky.

You don't know how to read or something. Every time a weapon box is picked up both players get a drop for their class.

Joey Donuts
Feb 19, 2004

My code word will be: Endurance.

GOT A EXTRA TITTY posted:

Your online and offline mission progress are seperate.

I'm not so sure that's how it works. When I hosted a game I had access to all the levels I completed in offline, but when I finished a mission in online I didn't unlock the next one.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

You don't know how to read or something. Every time a weapon box is picked up both players get a drop for their class.

Wow way to be a dick about it. Uncalled for. Rude. Quite frankly, disgusting.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Being able to yell stuff like "Grrk!" when you're being eaten by an ant is hilarious. As is screaming "E! D! FFFFF!" while jumping into an ant pile Leeroy Jenkins-style.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Just another FYI.

That free Facebook promo for the mission pack got emailed out.

There are two free weapon DLCs on PSN, one for Fencer, one for Wing Diver.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Philthy posted:

Just another FYI.

That free Facebook promo for the mission pack got emailed out.

There are two free weapon DLCs on PSN, one for Fencer, one for Wing Diver.

What's the subject line or email this code comes from? I haven't gotten it yet but I want to make sure it isn't marked as spam by Gmail.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

rawdog pozfail posted:

Wow way to be a dick about it. Uncalled for. Rude. Quite frankly, disgusting.

I apologize for my rudeness and beg forgiveness from this just world.

Gestures are great as well.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Except this is flatly untrue. I've tested it with my couch coop partner. The person who picks up the weapon gets a weapon for their class with a very small chance of them picking up a drop for the other class. We're talking a less than 10% chance you'll get something for the other person.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Man the jump between normal and hard is pretty insane on this game. The standard ants shoot 3 globs of weak acid at you per shot and die to one blast from a lvl20 gallion light cannon on normal. Turn it up to hard and they throw out 5 or 6 blobs of acid per shot that each deal heavy damage and it takes 2 light cannon shots or 1 blast from the hand cannon to kill them.

I find hard mode more satisfying and fun in general but for a couple of missions lately where you are forced into close combat with ants and spiders (I think around lvl 20? one of them has ant nests covered by energy shields and one is in an underground chamber that gets swarmed by ants and spiders) I have had to turn the difficulty back to normal mode. Maybe I just need to get better, or get some more powerful guns for my fencer.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
You can take lvl 20 guns into Normal mode? I'm playing it kind of like Diablo, playing through normal first, then use my best weapons into Hard, etc...

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Is the framerate on ps3 as bad as some people say? I've read in a few places that it's pretty terrible - 15fps, even when nothing is going on - but nobody in this thread is mentioning it at all, which is odd, because if it's really THAT bad then that seems totally unignorable.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Cowman posted:

What's the subject line or email this code comes from? I haven't gotten it yet but I want to make sure it isn't marked as spam by Gmail.

EDF 2025 Breaking News Promotion -- PS3 Code for Special Ops Mission Pack

Mark Turosz m.turosz@d3p.us
5:19 PM (17 hours ago)

Hello!

Thanks for participating in the EDF 2025 Breaking News promotion. We're happy to send you a PS3 code for the "Special Ops" Mission pack with 5 exciting missions. Stay tuned for 2 additional DLC packs coming out soon!

Here is your PS3 code:

POOP

EDF! EDF! EDF!

Sincerely,

Team EDF

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Knightmare posted:

You can take lvl 20 guns into Normal mode? I'm playing it kind of like Diablo, playing through normal first, then use my best weapons into Hard, etc...

Thats probably a good idea. I dont know what exactly affects what weapons will drop but I think its a combination of difficulty and level. I went back to level 2 on inferno mode just to see if I could do it and picked up a really strong melee weapon, a bit too clunky to use in most situations but still fun.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Polo-Rican posted:

Is the framerate on ps3 as bad as some people say? I've read in a few places that it's pretty terrible - 15fps, even when nothing is going on - but nobody in this thread is mentioning it at all, which is odd, because if it's really THAT bad then that seems totally unignorable.

No. It can get low at times, no worse than what I saw on the 360 2017. Its totally fine to me. Gaf people have been saying its worthless with 5 min level loads and a "slide show". I disagree as I simply dont see it on my PS3.

wonderboy
Aug 15, 2001
What is the secret of your power?
Anyone have any good unattended armor-farming strategies yet?

Here's what I've been successful with so far:
1. local co-op, both players as Wing Divers; at least one weapon choice should be a rapier weapon with poor accuracy and fast reload times (the starting level 0 rapier is perfectly suitable)
2. select Level 15 on Easy (difficulty has no effect on rates or rate-gain, as far as I'm aware)
3. when the level starts, make sure to kill all ally NPCs (so they don't eventually blow up the nests)
4. blow up the first 3 sets of nests and all of the ants they spawn
5. fly to the last nest, cleaning up what spiders you easily can, making sure not to damage the nest
6. park P1 inside the nest, rapier equipped, pointing straight up; rubber-band the trigger down so you're constantly firing
7. fly P2 over, clean up whatever spiders are outside the nest, then park inside the nest a few steps away from P1 and setup the same way (rapier, straight up, rubber-band trigger)

Hopefully your players are lined up in the nest in such a way that they grab item drops as the spiders are killed; if not, you might need to tweak your positions and/or periodically pick up the mounds of items.

I set this up and let it run for ~2hrs or so yesterday, almost entirely unattended. My net gain was somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 health, which I'll be honest was a little underwhelming.

Anyone found any better levels/strategies for this?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

wonderboy posted:

Anyone have any good unattended armor-farming strategies yet?

Here's what I've been successful with so far:
1. local co-op, both players as Wing Divers; at least one weapon choice should be a rapier weapon with poor accuracy and fast reload times (the starting level 0 rapier is perfectly suitable)
2. select Level 15 on Easy (difficulty has no effect on rates or rate-gain, as far as I'm aware)
3. when the level starts, make sure to kill all ally NPCs (so they don't eventually blow up the nests)
4. blow up the first 3 sets of nests and all of the ants they spawn
5. fly to the last nest, cleaning up what spiders you easily can, making sure not to damage the nest
6. park P1 inside the nest, rapier equipped, pointing straight up; rubber-band the trigger down so you're constantly firing
7. fly P2 over, clean up whatever spiders are outside the nest, then park inside the nest a few steps away from P1 and setup the same way (rapier, straight up, rubber-band trigger)

Hopefully your players are lined up in the nest in such a way that they grab item drops as the spiders are killed; if not, you might need to tweak your positions and/or periodically pick up the mounds of items.

I set this up and let it run for ~2hrs or so yesterday, almost entirely unattended. My net gain was somewhere in the neighborhood of 400 health, which I'll be honest was a little underwhelming.

Anyone found any better levels/strategies for this?

Important fact here is that Wing Divers have the slowest speed of armor gain. 400 armor for 2 hours is actually fairly significant for them, as I think they need... I think it's 4 armor boxes for one point of armor.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Oh god, didn't realise the English version was out. I helped a bunch of goons import the Japanese version in the previous thread.

Here's the secret to Wing Diver: you fly AT your enemies, not away from them :getin:

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

Finally, a good reason to punch a teenager in the face!
Holy poo poo, this game is amazing. I loved Insect Armageddon (as terrible as it was) but this one is leagues more fun.

Anyone on PS3, feel free to add me, I'm still in the early stages but I'm up for a game. PSN is Unoriginalism.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This game is amazing. It's like everything I liked about IA (four classes, ridiculous scientist NPC) combined with everything I liked about 2017 (Everything else) and with the best ridiculous dialogue and exploding plasma shotguns gaming can offer.

"That's impossible! They cannot progress faster than science!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Except this is flatly untrue. I've tested it with my couch coop partner. The person who picks up the weapon gets a weapon for their class with a very small chance of them picking up a drop for the other class. We're talking a less than 10% chance you'll get something for the other person.

Maybe it's different yet again for split screen but this definitely isn't true for online. I'm getting a drop for every box picked up. I rarely pick up anything and still see 5 or more drops and I know there weren't 50+ weapon drops on these missions.

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 20, 2014