Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
That's it as far as I can tell, along with one more verse that Gannicus sings that goes

My cock rages on, my cock rages on
Blood rains down from an angry sky

I figured it was just their equivalent of basically any modern pub song. Flogging Molly's Salty Dog actually kind of fits:

quote:

I'll wait for you till I turn blue,
There's nothing more that a man can do,
Don't get your bollocks in a twist,
Settle down and take a fit,
You drank with demons straight from hell,
They almost nearly won as well,
You wipe the floor with victory,
Then puked until you fell asleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Naelyan posted:

Being all gung-ho about bouncing titties but immediately being disgusted that there's a penis is hypocritical, or sexist, or immature, or a sign of some social disorder, or some combination thereof.

No it's not, not at all. Everybody has their preferences and some people who like looking at boobs might not like looking at penises quite as much. Not really a hard concept to understand. Though of course it is stupid to be so disgusted by the sight of a penis that you choose not to watch a show because you might catch a glimpse of one. And of course equality of nudity on TV is to be encouraged. But people are going to react differently to different nudity.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They are just immature and calling them homophobes is going a bit far.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Awwww yeah.

http://collider.com/terminator-genesis-jai-courtney/

Varro is Kyle Reese. Awesome.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

That's an awesome cast. Well, except for Arnold playing the Terminator. It's like Brent Spiner playing Data in the later stat trek movies.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
T3 was basically a fanfilm and the less said of Salvation the better. I never watched TSCC but Terminator just does not excite anymore. Good for Varo though I suppose

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Alan Smithee posted:

T3 was basically a fanfilm and the less said of Salvation the better. I never watched TSCC but Terminator just does not excite anymore. Good for Varo though I suppose

"plot details on Terminator: Genesis are firmly under wraps save for the fact that it’s being planned as the first in a new trilogy of films."

:suicide:

You know people joke, but this is just loving ridiculous. I bet they don't even have a plan for the films other than "we're going to make three more terminator films and make a poo poo-ton of money"

Uhh to try and keep it semi-on topic, how does Vikings hold up when compared to Spartacus? Now that I've finished Spartacus I feel empty inside, and Vikings are pretty brutal right?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

bobkatt013 posted:

Was he able to bring it with him or did it go on to the afterlife to have its own adventures?

Spinoff.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

PootieTang posted:

"plot details on Terminator: Genesis are firmly under wraps save for the fact that it’s being planned as the first in a new trilogy of films."

:suicide:

You know people joke, but this is just loving ridiculous. I bet they don't even have a plan for the films other than "we're going to make three more terminator films and make a poo poo-ton of money"

Uhh to try and keep it semi-on topic, how does Vikings hold up when compared to Spartacus? Now that I've finished Spartacus I feel empty inside, and Vikings are pretty brutal right?

Vikings is really good. Completely different style to Spartacus though, more realistic and less over the top.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

CODChimera posted:

Vikings is really good. Completely different style to Spartacus though, more realistic and less over the top.

Is there any show that's MORE over the top than Spartacus?

I'll definitely have to check it out, I remember some people being very cautious of it considering who was making it when it first came out, glad to hear it turned out well.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah considering it looked like it was just going to be some kind of cheesy GoT cash-in/rip-off, Vikings turned out to be pretty good.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

PootieTang posted:

I'll definitely have to check it out, I remember some people being very cautious of it considering who was making it when it first came out, glad to hear it turned out well.

300?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

PootieTang posted:

Banshee kinda approaches that level of craziness, it's worth checking out.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Alan Smithee posted:

You should watch TSCC. It is really good, and has one the best main character deaths ever. It does have a slow spot in season 2, but it is a really solid show. The soundtrack is also great as it has Cash when it was the Terminator vs police.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
GOOD things :v:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

PootieTang posted:

Hannibal comes close, though of course because it's network it never quite makes it even with things like the corpse tower, corpse-eye and the angel-maker.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

PootieTang posted:

Banshee is as close to the over the top excellence of Spartacus.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Powered through this show over the weekend. I skipped the Prequel Season because after Season One I had no interest in seeing more Batiatus and Lucretia, then she appears in season two. Then Lucretia appears in Season Two and I turned off a bit to the show. Definitely the weakest of the seasons was Season Two. Gannicus turned into such a great guy by the end of Season Three I feel sorry he got the worst of it, I might go back and watch the Prequel for more of him now. I liked that the bad guys in Season Three were fairly interesting as opposed to earlier Seasons. Crassus only real failing was that he was a Roman, at the end when he tells Spartacus he's sad Spartacus wasn't born Roman it's like the perfect summation of that he just never got it. Caesar was an rear end in a top hat, but they gave him a couple moments where you felt a little sorry for him, and similarly you kinda felt like he was just on the wrong side of things; in another world there would have been a Caesar/Gannicus buddy show about whoring and drinking around Rome. The chick that replaced Nasir after season one never won me over like the original girl, but I felt like the guy who replaced Spartacus did a good job taking up the role; I was mostly amazed that he had like exactly the same gruff intonation as the first guy.

Overall thoughts on the show are that it ranged from awful to good depending on the character arc you were talking about. If you don't mind the over the top nature of it, that aspect can be pretty enjoyable. Definite 300 vibe from the whole thing. I like what I've seen of Black Sails more, and this won't be high on my list of shows to recommend but it was worth watching after my initial dismissal of the show one episode in.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

PaybackJack posted:

I skipped the Prequel Season because after Season One I had no interest in seeing more Batiatus and Lucretia
You're going to have a long wait for someone to back you up on this one.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Most people in the thread agreed that the prequel was the best season, or the second best after S3, so I think you should watch it. Especially if you liked Gannicus, since he is one of the central characters.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

PaybackJack posted:

Powered through this show over the weekend. I skipped the Prequel Season because after Season One I had no interest in seeing more Batiatus and Lucretia...

You're bonkers son. The prequel season is probably the best one, and John Hannah is amazing in every minute of it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Also the prequel helps give Batiatus and Lucretia a lot more depth and helps you better understand why they do the poo poo they do in Season 1. They're villains and they're not as sympathetic as Crassus and Ceaser but they're much more well rounded than Ilithiyia and Glaber.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Also the prequel helps give Batiatus and Lucretia a lot more depth and helps you better understand why they do the poo poo they do in Season 1. They're villains and they're not as sympathetic as Crassus and Ceaser but they're much more well rounded than Ilithiyia and Glaber.

Yeah it also explands the motivations of all the other characters such as why Ashur had such a big feud with Crixus and also why Solonius is at odds with Batatius.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

etalian posted:

Yeah it also explands the motivations of all the other characters such as why Ashur had such a big feud with Crixus and also why Solonius is at odds with Batatius.

One could argue all those relationships didn't need expanding and he'd be right. However, the prequel is worth watching for Gannicus because, unlike every other thing in the prequel, his character and initial motivation aren't really explored in the numbered seasons.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Joining the dogpile: watch the prequel.

The amazing thing about it is that it was written and produced as a stop-gap while Andy Whitfield healed from his cancer.* But instead of being a lovely half-assed prequel (see every other prequel ever), it somehow ended up being the best of the series. Tight plotting, great backstory, loving awesome characterization, lots of backstabbing, some great dramatic irony in regards to Blood and Sand, the introduction of Rape Face**, and some some real House of Batiatus cuties.*** Not to mention a fight at the end that works in about a dozen different ways. Go watch it.

*He didn't. And while I'm usually ambivalent when it comes to celebrity deaths, that one hurt bad. Like real bad. That documentary they made about his fight, I can't even watch it.

**You're gonna be glad that rear end in a top hat bought it in Vengeance after you watch the prequel.

***Seriously. There were some loving gorgeous women in that show, but Melitta is, like, queen of the castle.

edit: All my footnotes sort of raise an interesting question: a lot of the season 2 payoff came as a result of things that were set up in the prequel, eg Rape Face and the tension between Oenomaus and Gannicus. Did Vengeance work without all that foreknowledge?

Asbury fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 24, 2014

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Irish Joe posted:

One could argue all those relationships didn't need expanding and he'd be right. However, the prequel is worth watching for Gannicus because, unlike every other thing in the prequel, his character and initial motivation aren't really explored in the numbered seasons.

I don't know. While the Ashur/Crixus thing was something you could definitely get a rough idea of from Season 1 I thought the prequel really did show us a side of the Solonious/Batiatus feud that we really couldn't have guessed at it from Season 1. While Gannicus is obviously the most important thing happening in the prequel I think there's plenty of very succulent pieces of meat for other characters and stories. Some of it is alluded to or referenced to in other seasons but some of it isn't.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

3Romeo posted:

***Seriously. There were some loving gorgeous women in that show, but Melitta is, like, queen of the castle.

I thought Diona was the prettiest of the lot. Which made the subsequent events that much rougher.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

I thought Diona was the prettiest of the lot. Which made the subsequent events that much rougher.

I cheered loudly at how they brought back rapeface for the second season and had him die in a spectacular way

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

PittTheElder posted:

Raskos. :(

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's great how even the bit gladiators were memorable and sort of sad how attrition picks off the original crew throughout the series.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

3Romeo posted:

edit: All my footnotes sort of raise an interesting question: a lot of the season 2 payoff came as a result of things that were set up in the prequel, eg Rape Face and the tension between Oenomaus and Gannicus. Did Vengeance work without all that foreknowledge?

I don't know for sure, but I would assume that there were more than a few re-writes of what was originally planned, and that they would have included those payoffs after knowing they were airing the prequel, or that something set up in the prequel would have been set up that season instead and they were just able to order things differently.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

PaybackJack posted:

Powered through this show over the weekend. I skipped the Prequel Season because after Season One I had no interest in seeing more Batiatus and Lucretia, then she appears in season two. Then Lucretia appears in Season Two and I turned off a bit to the show. Definitely the weakest of the seasons was Season Two. Gannicus turned into such a great guy by the end of Season Three I feel sorry he got the worst of it, I might go back and watch the Prequel for more of him now. I liked that the bad guys in Season Three were fairly interesting as opposed to earlier Seasons. Crassus only real failing was that he was a Roman, at the end when he tells Spartacus he's sad Spartacus wasn't born Roman it's like the perfect summation of that he just never got it. Caesar was an rear end in a top hat, but they gave him a couple moments where you felt a little sorry for him, and similarly you kinda felt like he was just on the wrong side of things; in another world there would have been a Caesar/Gannicus buddy show about whoring and drinking around Rome. The chick that replaced Nasir after season one never won me over like the original girl, but I felt like the guy who replaced Spartacus did a good job taking up the role; I was mostly amazed that he had like exactly the same gruff intonation as the first guy.

Overall thoughts on the show are that it ranged from awful to good depending on the character arc you were talking about. If you don't mind the over the top nature of it, that aspect can be pretty enjoyable. Definite 300 vibe from the whole thing. I like what I've seen of Black Sails more, and this won't be high on my list of shows to recommend but it was worth watching after my initial dismissal of the show one episode in.

How the gently caress can someone be so wrong? Did you not even really watch it?

Deakul fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 24, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I think everyone can at least agree on few things such as John Hannah being hilarious and completely quotable in his role as Batatius.

Also Lucy Lawless still looks amazing

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

etalian posted:

I think everyone can at least agree on few things such as John Hannah being hilarious and completely quotable in his role as Batatius.

Also Lucy Lawless still looks amazing

If I had to choose between Xena era Lucy Lawless or Spartacus Era...I would choose Spartacus era. Without hesitation.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i love me some Lawless.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Batiatus is without a doubt one of my favorite television characters in a long time. Pretty much everything he says is incredible.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

3Romeo posted:

Joining the dogpile: watch the prequel.

The amazing thing about it is that it was written and produced as a stop-gap while Andy Whitfield healed from his cancer.* But instead of being a lovely half-assed prequel (see every other prequel ever), it somehow ended up being the best of the series. Tight plotting, great backstory, loving awesome characterization, lots of backstabbing, some great dramatic irony in regards to Blood and Sand, the introduction of Rape Face**, and some some real House of Batiatus cuties.*** Not to mention a fight at the end that works in about a dozen different ways. Go watch it.

*He didn't. And while I'm usually ambivalent when it comes to celebrity deaths, that one hurt bad. Like real bad. That documentary they made about his fight, I can't even watch it.

**You're gonna be glad that rear end in a top hat bought it in Vengeance after you watch the prequel.

If I remember correctly the prequel was going to be part of season 2. It would include parts to introduce Gannicus and his place at the Ludas. However, when Andy's cancer returned, they decided to expand it to a mini series to give him time to heal.
It seems that according to that one guys opinion that the gods are ramming cock in rear end to Batiatus once again.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I was just sort of over the storylines of those characters. John Hannah was enjoyable, I didn't think Lucy Lawless performance was that great, but I guess the problem was I was comparing her to Polly Walker on Rome. I liked the end of her character, that was pretty great. I was just tired of the on again, off again friendship between her and Ilithiyia. I was just ready for the particular arc to be done. I probably will go back and watch the Prequel because like I said, Gannicus was pretty bad rear end.

I personally like Kore the most in terms of pretty ladies on this show.

3Romeo posted:

A lot of the season 2 payoff came as a result of things that were set up in the prequel, eg Rape Face and the tension between Oenomaus and Gannicus. Did Vengeance work without all that foreknowledge?

There was enough flashbacks that I was able to understand what went down with Gannicus and Oenomaus. The "rapeface" guy thing I'm lost on though. Yeah, I thought Gannicus was a fine character otherwise. He comes in as this guy that's just out for himself but he was once part of the brotherhood and eventually finds himself back among them. It worked without the prequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
No it doesn't. Gannicus without the prequel would cause most of the audience to go "Wtf who is this guy and why is he so chummy with the black gladiator whose name we don't know yet?"

The prequel set up his character and made his rear end kicking more believable.

• Locked thread