Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
So I'm about to move to Edmonton and I've heard talk of resellers and such that tend to offer the same or better services for close to or cheaper then the major broadband companies. Is this still true, and if so, which ones should I take a look at in south Edmonton?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Mederlock posted:

So I'm about to move to Edmonton and I've heard talk of resellers and such that tend to offer the same or better services for close to or cheaper then the major broadband companies. Is this still true, and if so, which ones should I take a look at in south Edmonton?

I've never heard of anything like that.

Granted I haven't looked much; I just use NAIT's internet connection.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

Mederlock posted:

Teksavvys cable services that use shaws connections are way cheaper and just as good.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I live in Southern Alberta, and other than the intial setup fiasco, Teksavvy has been pretty drat good and the ability to get a true unlimited option is nice. I am sure I pay more per month than I need to, but if I download a poo poo-ton of stuff (Netflix, PSN, Steam) it's nice knowing Telus isn't going to try and gently caress me over.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Well they're going to try, but by attacking TekSavvy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is there a reason why Telus only gives the promo giveaway stuff (free tv, discount on first x months etc) to new customers and existing ones at the end of their contract have no incentive to re-up for another 3 year bit?

I was thinking of doing it to get the TV (I know, it's not ~really~ a deal, etc) but now I'm just gonna be a potential free agent on month to month. Do they just trust that I and people like me are simply too lazy to switch? Because if so they're probably right. :negative: So lazy.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

Do they just trust that I and people like me are simply too lazy to switch? Because if so they're probably right. :negative: So lazy.

Yep. I've been off contract for like a year and lost my freebies, but calling Shaw... :effort:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Plus Shaw doesn't offer any freebies (or do contracts iirc?), bah. Probably due to collusion!

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Call Telus and tell them you're upset that you can't get the promo offers. As long as you haven't had one of the "gifts" in the past and have a good payment history with them they'll probably get it for you.

Kly fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 19, 2014

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!
Telus's Tv offerings are far superior to Shaws in terms of hardware and channels except if you want 6 boxes to watch 6 channels/recordings simultaneously telus can only do 3 but generally shaws internet is way better if you want anything beyond basic internet speed.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Has Teksavvy started tracking usage for people on Rogers lines yet? I thought it was supposed to start in January.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

zergstain posted:

Has Teksavvy started tracking usage for people on Rogers lines yet? I thought it was supposed to start in January.

The tracker is up but they're not billing anyone yet. A bunch of people aren't getting reliable stats so it sounds like there are still bugs to work out.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

EngineerJoe posted:

The tracker is up but they're not billing anyone yet. A bunch of people aren't getting reliable stats so it sounds like there are still bugs to work out.

Is this for rCable? If so, I'll check mine and compare it against what my router reports to see if they are e...

Actually, I guess it depends on how they have it set up, since they don't count overnight bandwidth.

Edit: Yeah, it's all over the place. I didn't include the off peak section, but they were all below 1GB download and at most 2-3GB upload. The portal is reporting my total download as being 75GB higher than what my router reports in the end and my router is tracking overnight.

http://i.imgur.com/E9lV6CN.png

Edit 2: Linked due to resolution.

A c E fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 19, 2014

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

priznat posted:

Plus Shaw doesn't offer any freebies (or do contracts iirc?), bah. Probably due to collusion!

Shaw got contracts not to long ago, but they are pretty awful. When I was there the companies stance was giving away free poo poo loses too much money. Telus lost a ton of money when they first offered TV to gain subscribers giving poo poo away. It started paying off this year for them though.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

A c E posted:

Is this for rCable? If so, I'll check mine and compare it against what my router reports to see if they are e...

Yeah, it's for Rogers. You can try complaining on DSLreports to let them know that their poo poo is broken.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

EngineerJoe posted:

Yeah, it's for Rogers. You can try complaining on DSLreports to let them know that their poo poo is broken.

I'm on the unlimited package, so it doesn't matter to me really but I'll still let them know at some point it's reporting higher than it should.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

Is there a reason why Telus only gives the promo giveaway stuff (free tv, discount on first x months etc) to new customers and existing ones at the end of their contract have no incentive to re-up for another 3 year bit?
Because that's standard for all companies trying to grab customers from their competitors?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Doesn't look like this has been mentioned here yet, but the Teksavvy Vs. Voltage decision is in.

The CBC headline is "TekSavvy ordered to ID alleged movie downloaders" but it's not so simple, there are some real unpalatable things they have to do in order to get those names and limits on what they can do.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/teksavvy-ordered-to-id-alleged-movie-downloaders-1.2546477

quote:

But while the court sided with Voltage's efforts to go after copyright violators, it sought to protect against the company acting, "inappropriately in the enforcement of its rights to the detriment of innocent internet users."

"On the facts of this case, there is some evidence that Voltage has been engaged in litigation which may have an improper purpose. However, the evidence is not sufficiently compelling for this court at this juncture in the proceeding to make any definitive determination of the motive of Voltage," wrote judge Kevin Aalto.

Aalto ordered that before Voltage can send a letter to the alleged downloaders, it must return to court to get the wording of its communications cleared by a case management judge.

"In order to ensure there is no inappropriate language in any demand letter sent to the alleged infringers, the draft demand letter will be provided to the court for review," Aalto wrote.

"Any correspondence sent by Voltage to any subscriber shall clearly state in bold type that no court has yet made a determination that such subscriber has infringed or is liable in any way for payment of damages."

TekSavvy's lead counsel Nicholas McHaffie, a lawyer with Stikeman Elliott, said the safeguards the judge put in place would put Voltage on a "tight leash" and help to discourage “copyright trolling.”

“The concern is that in getting 2,000 names, the copyright holder can simply send out a bunch of letters that threaten legal proceedings and make outrageous demands for compensation and say you’re going to face a lawsuit if you don’t,” he said in an interview with CBC's The Lang & O’Leary Exchange.

Voltage has been accused of threatening lawsuits against thousands of BitTorrent users in the U.S. Typically internet users do not have the resources to fight the threat of a lawsuit, McHaffie said.

But the case management process will ensure that Voltage does not overstate its case in the letters to alleged downloaders, he said.

“There was a real concern that what we had here was not an occasion to enforce copyright, but rather an effort to send out a large number of letters and reap a bit of a reward using the process of the court. The court responded by saving ‘we want to be very careful before we allow that to happen in Canada,’” McHaffie added.

Voltage was also ordered to pay any costs that TekSavvy incurs in identifying the customers in the case, as well as legal fees.

The scare tactics trolls like to use basically has had its balls cut off. Any communication with the "accused" has to be vetted by a judge plus they have to pay the ISP for any costs of getting the info. They are also limited on the info given (Name and mailing address only). Not even phone or email info.

I can't imagine Voltage is too happy with that decision.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Yeah. The initial article I read from the Toronto Sun was also one-sided and made it look like a complete loss for individual rights against copyright trolls. Then reading Michael Geist's writeup, I realised that it's a great middle ground. Between having to pay TekSavvy for legal costs and the maximum non-commercial liability being fixed at $5000, it's simply not a profitable option for copyright trolls to harass individual downloaders and bully them into settling. But it still allows legal action to be taken against bigger, so-called "commercial" copyright infringers, which are the only ones these corporations should be allowed to go after, really.

(Not that it's been doing them any good. :v:)

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I didn't see this posted here yet: Telus is getting worse again.

quote:

Posted January 24, 2014

Starting February 26, 2014, TELUS is changing the regular monthly rates for some of our High Speed Internet plans. Your new rate will be reflected on your first bill after February 26.

• For details on your Internet plan rate change, reference the message included on the last page of your bill dated between January 26 and February 25.
• For an electronic copy of your bill, login to your TELUS home services account and select Download/Print on your e.Bill summary page.

For questions, or help accessing your TELUS online account, chat live with an agent.

Why are Internet rates changing?

The cost of managing, expanding and improving our network continues to rise. We’re doing our best to keep rate increases as moderate as possible, while still offering great services, flexibility and good value.

We are constantly working to improve the service we offer our customers. In 2013, we made a number of improvements to our Internet service and network, including the launch of a new email service for all TELUS Internet customers with 5 GB of storage and an improved interface. We also upgraded our infrastructure to support faster Internet speeds and improve our network reliability to provide you with the best Internet experience possible.

Although I looked on the last page of my last eBill and there was nothing, so I don't know if that means my plan is unaffected or if it's just not displaying right now because their site is rear end.
[edit]Oh there it is, you have to go to print! +$5 a month, bleh

Tagra fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 23, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Tagra posted:

"In 2013, we made a number of improvements to our Internet service and network, including the launch of a new email service for all TELUS Internet customers with 5 GB of storage and an improved interface."

They're bragging about this? That's 1/3 the storage that Gmail gives for free.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

"In 2013, we made a number of improvements to our Internet service and network, including the launch of a new email service for all TELUS Internet customers with 5 GB of storage and an improved interface."

They're bragging about this? That's 1/3 the storage that Gmail gives for free.

This is Canada. Be grateful they give you anything, serf.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I can't remember what it was that Rogers-Yahoo canceled on us one time, but they gave us free Flickr Pro accounts to make up for it!

...free Pro accounts that evaporated a year later, with little warning and only the option to buy into the service like everyone else. I wonder how many people actually bothered, that didn't already have it in the first place.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Tagra posted:

gently caress telus. I'm glad I left them for Teksavvy over a year ago now.

ComputerNinja
Aug 8, 2003
What?
Pork Pro
My Telus Optik TV contract is finally up, so I'll be cancelling that. That means no more bundled $5 off, plus this new rate increase means somewhere around ~$65/mo for 25Mb with 250GB/mo. TekSavvy's unlimited Cable 25 is only $44.95. I guess I'm switching.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Well gently caress.

Just got an email from TekSavvy saying that they will be enforcing overages starting April 1st.

I never really monitor my bandwidth so I signed up for their customer portal to check and it looks like I average around 450GB/month. I'm on the 300GB/month plan. This is straight up zero torrenting. It's almost 100% video gaming (steam/blizzard) and a lot of Netflix... a lot.

So, looks like I'm now going to be spending eighty loving Canadian dollars per month for loving internet.

edit: Actually, maybe I'll give this "Zap the Cap" thing a try first to see how it goes.

kiwid fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 28, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yikes. My 25/3 true unlimited plan is $57, taxes in. I rarely torrent anything, but between steam and netflix I thought unlimited would be safe.

Zap the cap is kind of neat though sounds like something to try.

It sucks you have to castrate your connection to make it work though.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

slidebite posted:

It sucks you have to castrate your connection to make it work though.

Yeah, I was actually interested in moving my 20/2 plan to the 30/2 plan but what's the point if I use Zap the Cap? I work all day so peak hours is when I'm using my internet. I hardly ever torrent but if I did I'd just do it between 2am and 8am when usage is free. There is zero reason for me to ever move up in speed now.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Zap the Cap is a really clever solution that works within the regulations. I like it.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

EngineerJoe posted:

Zap the Cap is a really clever solution that works within the regulations. I like it.

Yeah I'll see how it goes. Hopefully it even eliminates some of the congestion I've been seeing in my area on Cable.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

kiwid posted:

Well gently caress.

Just got an email from TekSavvy saying that they will be enforcing overages starting April 1st.

I never really monitor my bandwidth so I signed up for their customer portal to check and it looks like I average around 450GB/month. I'm on the 300GB/month plan. This is straight up zero torrenting. It's almost 100% video gaming (steam/blizzard) and a lot of Netflix... a lot.

So, looks like I'm now going to be spending eighty loving Canadian dollars per month for loving internet.

edit: Actually, maybe I'll give this "Zap the Cap" thing a try first to see how it goes.

I lived on 60gb for years. You can do it. Hope you like 240p streams

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

kiwid posted:

Yeah, I was actually interested in moving my 20/2 plan to the 30/2 plan but what's the point if I use Zap the Cap?

It doesn't sound like you're sharing your connection, so why do you even need the 20 plan? I'm on Distributel's 10Mbps and that handles Netflix Super HD just fine.

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh

ArcaneMan fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 15, 2017

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Jan posted:

It doesn't sound like you're sharing your connection, so why do you even need the 20 plan? I'm on Distributel's 10Mbps and that handles Netflix Super HD just fine.

Speed mostly. When I want to download something, perhaps like a 15GB game, I don't want to wait 8 hours.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

ArcaneMan posted:

I'm on the TekSavvy Cable 25 and I got that cap email... but I thought that plan had unlimited 2am-8am already? What's the point of Zap the Cap?

Well Zap the Gap is 8-12, which is, presumably, rush hour. 2AM-8AM is presumably the opposite of that. Zap the Gap encourages less usage during rush hour, and the 2-8 thing encourages you to move your usage to the opposite of rush hour, regardless of whether you use Zap the Gap or not.

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh
Thanks, yeah I read the times wrong.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

kiwid posted:

Speed mostly. When I want to download something, perhaps like a 15GB game, I don't want to wait 8 hours.

I suppose that's fair. I decided to go with 10Mbps first and increase it if I ever felt the need, which I haven't so far. I'd rather pay a premium for unlimited usage than higher bandwidth, there's a peace of mind from never worrying about usage caps, especially being an avid user of Netflix.

Whenever I install a huge new game from Steam, I just run it overnight. They even make it easy for new releases by allowing preloading.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Zap The Cap gives you unlimited cap all day instead of just from 2-8am in exchange for reduced speeds during 8pm-midnight.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

EngineerJoe posted:

Zap The Cap gives you unlimited cap all day instead of just from 2-8am in exchange for reduced speeds during 8pm-midnight.

Yeah now that I think about it more, I'm not as mad as when I was thinking I'd have to go up a plan. 9mbit/s for 4 hours in trade of an unlimited cap is reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
You guys only have Teksavvy as a third party option? I'm on Distributel on the unlimited option. Currently my internet is down, but I think it was because the windy weather here in Toronto knocked something out of place. Their customer service has been great so far. Can't say the same for Acanac, which isn't even open on the weekends as far as I know. I used to use Acanac. There's also https://www.start.ca as well, but I'm not sure about their coverage areas. I believe they're the only third party that resells Cogeco's areas.