Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Wait, when did MGS not have a dumb plot? Psycho Mantis, Raiden, that boss covered in bees, its always been a dumb series that had some fun parts once you got over having to button mash past endless idiotic codec conversations and having to struggle with the terrible, terrible analog buttons of the PS2/3 era.

If Splinter Cell wasn't always so far up its own rear end in Clancy style 'MERICA! bullshit it could have easily overtaken MGS as the go-to stealth game.

I guess the answer is somewhere in the middle.

Oh yeah, it was always dumb. But the even dumber lengths they go through to connect everything and everyone is even better. I love it, all of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Arms_Akimbo posted:

If Splinter Cell wasn't always so far up its own rear end in Clancy style 'MERICA! bullshit it could have easily overtaken MGS as the go-to stealth game.

The Splinter Cell games would have to have controls that weren't terrible and gameplay that was actually fun before that could ever happen.

EDIT: Tenchu is a better stealth series than both of them :colbert:

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 20, 2014

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
How can you hate the codec conversations. The codec conversations are legit as gently caress.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I remember playing MGS3 and phoning everyone I could every new area and item, just for all the calls. They are a bad way of getting to know characters, yes, but they add a lot for characterisation nonetheless. I love the codec calls.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The sneaking in MGS has always been really simple, but it has lots of tricks and extra things going on to keep it interesting area to area. It's also funny and weird sometimes, and the soundtracks are great.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Randallteal posted:

and the soundtracks are great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTQIogLBFBs

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You can neutralize the 1st stage of the final boss by throwing a mushroom at him, MGS isn't serious once you get past the surface.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Tae posted:

You can neutralize the 1st stage of the final boss by throwing a mushroom at him, MGS isn't serious once you get past the surface.

Metal Gear Solid and (recent) GTA games are two things that it always blows my mind that people think are "too self-serious". Sure, you've got dramatic moments and stuff, but you also have a guy pooping in a barrel, or a cyborg ninja dressed as a mariachi in order to blend in, or mowing down aliens with a minigun while tripping balls, or a dude holding a conversation with a dog that doesn't speak english, and probably doesn't actually exist, or SOME goofy bullshit.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Alouicious posted:

Metal Gear Solid and (recent) GTA games are two things that it always blows my mind that people think are "too self-serious". Sure, you've got dramatic moments and stuff, but you also have a guy pooping in a barrel, or a cyborg ninja dressed as a mariachi in order to blend in, or mowing down aliens with a minigun while tripping balls, or a dude holding a conversation with a dog that doesn't speak english, and probably doesn't actually exist, or SOME goofy bullshit.
I think with GTA4 it was the weird dissonance between the serious cutscenes about a former soldier grappling with his past while trapped in the criminal underworld and the extremely un-serious sandbox gameplay where you play bumper cars with helicopters. I haven't played GTA5 yet (waiting for the PC version), but Trevor's kind of a headcase in and out of gameplay, which sort of lessons that effect.

Metal Gear seems to have a thing where it starts telling a story about people scarred by war, then gets bored a couple of hours in and injects comic book supervillains, gratuitous cleavage and fart jokes into it. Thankfully, they somehow manage to hit more often than they miss.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

GTA4's storyline definitely didn't fit in with the rest of the game. The whole time, Nico is complaining about trying to get out of the life of crime, trying to clean up his act, no more killing, etc., but the act of playing through the plot missions alone (to say nothing of the ridiculous poo poo you get into on the side) is very much at odds with the character. And not in a tragic "you can never escape" way, but more like "Why the gently caress does he keep agreeing to this poo poo?"

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
There are also a couple of pretty ridiculous cases where he doesn't even get goaded into it, but just decides that he needs to kill someone. I really liked IV overall and had a ton of fun with it, but Nico was a laughably huge hypocrite pretty much from the word Go.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

VDay posted:

There are also a couple of pretty ridiculous cases where he doesn't even get goaded into it, but just decides that he needs to kill someone. I really liked IV overall and had a ton of fun with it, but Nico was a laughably huge hypocrite pretty much from the word Go.

Yeah that was sorta like

the whole point to the character.

Seriously, Niko is a massive hypocrite and this is not some failure in writing, this is part of his characterization.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think it's a combination of the two, really. Niko is seeking redemption and wants out of the violent life but it's a gameplay conceit that he can't do that, because otherwise it wouldn't be a GTA game. The two compliment each other: Niko, the character, is a hypocrite and keeps getting involved in a whole lot of poo poo; but you, the player, want the game to be fun and interesting and that's the real reason why.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Alouicious posted:

Yeah that was sorta like

Seriously, Niko is a massive hypocrite and this is not some failure in writing, this is part of his characterization.

Yeah and I understood that, but it still got a bit ridiculous at times due to how crazy some of the missions you did were and due to the fact that it's still a video game that Rockstar wanted to be fun. That was my point, that it wasn't just always him begrudgingly going along with some plan despite his wishes to stop the killing and get out of the business. Sometimes he'd just snap out of nowhere, and the result was really jarring, even if that's basically what they were going for. Especially after the 10th time that you watch a cutscene where he contemplates his life and what it all means before going somewhere and murdering some random thug. A little bit more subtlety to his character or a little less moaning/contemplating would have been nice.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Alouicious posted:

Yeah that was sorta like

Admittedly, I haven't played the game all the way through since release, but I never got the impression that Rockstar was trying to make a sort of meta-commentary on how the hypocrisy justifies the ludonarrative dissonance (just saying that term makes me feel douchey, but this is pretty much the definition of it). It felt more like they were earnestly going for "tragic character caught up in a bad situation," which just falls flat. Maybe I should play it again and get a second read on it, though even after building a new computer late last year, I'm still not sure if I want to roll the dice with the PC version.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

They absolutely were not doing it on purpose with how they reacted to that criticism in later games

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

404notfound posted:

Admittedly, I haven't played the game all the way through since release, but I never got the impression that Rockstar was trying to make a sort of meta-commentary on how the hypocrisy justifies the ludonarrative dissonance (just saying that term makes me feel douchey, but this is pretty much the definition of it). It felt more like they were earnestly going for "tragic character caught up in a bad situation," which just falls flat. Maybe I should play it again and get a second read on it, though even after building a new computer late last year, I'm still not sure if I want to roll the dice with the PC version.

Having played through it recently I can confirm that it's not a factor in the story at all. The cutscenes play almost completely parallel to the actual events that unfold through gameplay, one never really remarking upon the other. It would have been truly something had Rockstar realized that would be a great narrative road to go down (didn't Sleeping Dogs attempt that? I didn't play it), but unfortunately Dan Houser is a terrible writer and the idea likely never even occurred to him.

Only slightly related, but here's a fun drinking game: Next time you play a Rockstar game, drink every time a character makes a joke and then goes on to explain the punchline.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I think Niko works as a moral grounding device for what you do in GTAIV. It's a way to remind yourself that you're still a Criminal, and that's the appeal of GTA as a franchise. Removing that in GTAV, by just making the guys three wacky dudes who kill people for fun and/or profit and making them just as jokey as the world around them removes the idea of transgression from your actions in the game, which makes them in turn dull and boring.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ElNarez posted:

I think Niko works as a moral grounding device for what you do in GTAIV. It's a way to remind yourself that you're still a Criminal, and that's the appeal of GTA as a franchise. Removing that in GTAV, by just making the guys three wacky dudes who kill people for fun and/or profit and making them just as jokey as the world around them removes the idea of transgression from your actions in the game, which makes them in turn dull and boring.

I think the exact opposite of this. Niko was a boring, crap character. All three of the GTA V guys were fun and interesting.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

ElNarez posted:

That doesn't ring true when you consider all the previous GTA games had you play as sociopath assholes and that IV was the exception.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

That doesn't ring true when you consider all the previous GTA games had you play as sociopath assholes and that IV was the exception.

Except San Andreas. And Vice City Stories. And 3 since Claude was a mute and didn't really have characterization.

Vice City and maybe Liberty City Stories are the only games where you play more-or-less out and out sociopaths, but everyone loved Tommy so much and I think I'm the only person who's bothered to remember anything about LCS so that's what's stuck.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

The REAL Goobusters posted:

How can you hate the codec conversations. The codec conversations are legit as gently caress.

Do you know what day it is?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Wiseblood posted:

Those scenes were hilarious because of Rosemary's uncanny ability to summon dramatic piano music from the ether

YOUR ROOM HAD NO POSTERS, JACK

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wiseblood posted:

Rose crying over Raiden not having any loving pictures on the walls is still one of the funniest moments in gaming.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Hashy posted:

"I loving hate the people that like these games"

Me too, Brad. Me too.

Souls fans are right up there with MOBA and fighting game ones when if comes to being annoying asshats online.

They're all just below Sonic fans.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Brad getting nudged off a ledge by that invader was hilarious though.

Mayor Defacto
Apr 21, 2010

The Colonel and Rose taunting Raiden in Arsenal Gear was just fantastic.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

Souls fans are right up there with MOBA and fighting game ones when if comes to being annoying asshats online.

I'm pretty sure that's partly because all of those things have a much bigger overlap than you'd think, those are basically my favorite games :I

That said anyone still playing Demon Souls in 2014 is probably doing it exclusively to invade games and gently caress with people.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Nah, many people are still discovering it for themselves as the hype grows.
I've just beaten it for the 1st time, and many folks in the DS thread are doing the same.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

I swear you keep adding new fanbases to your ever growing list of people you do not like.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Complaining about fanbases is the millennial version of complaining about plebeians

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

You have to play an unknown Indy game to not be total scum.

Guns of Icarus Online players are the only decent esport fans.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

I swear you keep adding new fanbases to your ever growing list of people you do not like.

Nah it's always been the same list.

And it's mostly just because said fans always inject their games into completely unrelated discussions as "the best game ever and you're scum if you disagree."

Edit: I'm also not a millennial. I'm a bitter old man yelling at you drat kids to get off my lawn.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 20, 2014

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
All fans are assholes. We're assholes for GB.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Nevermind that, the potential early candidate for Quick Look of the year has finally arrived.

e: nvm

ovaries fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 20, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Alouicious posted:

Those scenes were hilarious because of Rosemary's uncanny ability to summon dramatic piano music from the ether

YOUR ROOM HAD NO POSTERS, JACK

That, everything with the MGS4 gun dealer and his sick rear end monkey, and Para Medic's adorable sperging about movies and kaiju and poo poo were some of the best things in videogames period.

I love the MGS series, it's one of my favorite series of games, but yea the trend of 'EVERYONE MUST BE LINKED WITH DESTINY' was terrible, and Kojima has said he hates it. Hell the entire ending of MGS4 was supposed to be Snake and Otacon turning themselves in for their super long list of crimes against humanity and poo poo, and then getting straight up killed by the state, but he got steamrolled by his own people to add in the terrible "AND EVERYONE LOVES SNAKE AND ARE ALL BFFS FOREVER AND BIG BOSS GIVES HIM A BIG OL DADDY HUG" extra end after the legitimately good 'snake with a gun in his mouth on the grave' scene fades to black. It's kinda hilarious that MGS has almost become out of Kojima's hands at this point.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

404notfound posted:

GTA4's storyline definitely didn't fit in with the rest of the game. The whole time, Nico is complaining about trying to get out of the life of crime, trying to clean up his act, no more killing, etc., but the act of playing through the plot missions alone (to say nothing of the ridiculous poo poo you get into on the side) is very much at odds with the character. And not in a tragic "you can never escape" way, but more like "Why the gently caress does he keep agreeing to this poo poo?"
Because he needs information (on the man who betrayed him) and money. Violence is his trade. Niko was a great character.

(But his reasons for killing Vlad were pretty loving weak and probably the entire reason for these complains.)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

VagueRant posted:

Because he needs information (on the man who betrayed him) and money. Violence is his trade. Niko was a great character.

(But his reasons for killing Vlad were pretty loving weak and probably the entire reason for these complains.)

honestly how many reasons do you need to kill vlad, dude was the worst person

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Tatum Girlparts posted:

That, everything with the MGS4 gun dealer and his sick rear end monkey, and Para Medic's adorable sperging about movies and kaiju and poo poo were some of the best things in videogames period.

I love the MGS series, it's one of my favorite series of games, but yea the trend of 'EVERYONE MUST BE LINKED WITH DESTINY' was terrible, and Kojima has said he hates it. Hell the entire ending of MGS4 was supposed to be Snake and Otacon turning themselves in for their super long list of crimes against humanity and poo poo, and then getting straight up killed by the state, but he got steamrolled by his own people to add in the terrible "AND EVERYONE LOVES SNAKE AND ARE ALL BFFS FOREVER AND BIG BOSS GIVES HIM A BIG OL DADDY HUG" extra end after the legitimately good 'snake with a gun in his mouth on the grave' scene fades to black. It's kinda hilarious that MGS has almost become out of Kojima's hands at this point.

I always figured Kojima was like a George Lucas type in the video game industry in that he's had a lot of success to the point that everybody just goes along with whatever he says now. If what you say is true I'm completely off base!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Jeff and anime games are a perfect combination.

Anime editor Brad fell asleep.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 20, 2014

• Locked thread