Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilbog Resident
Dec 23, 2005

X Y v ^
I guess I worded that poorly. Though this isn't the vacuum recommendation thread so in hindsight it's a pretty dumb question anyway.

Suppose I better just go and get a few litter mats and maybe a lid for the box and see about putting the other one in my bathroom or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Tea Bone posted:

Can anyone recommend anything for cat allergies?

Allerpet C helps reduce my skin allergies, I use it on the cats 2 or 3 times a week and I can usually avoid rashes. (I can snuggle them right up near my face after using it without getting a skin reaction.)

Wash your hands after you pet the cat, every time. This is especially important before you touch your face. It's also helped to change my pillow case frequently and try to keep the cats off the sheets. I set up cozy boxes on the nightstand to lure them away from the bed and I set them in those before I got to bed. That works sometimes.

I do use OTC antihistamines year-round, get allergy shots, and I use a sinus wash most days if the week... I am allergic to almost everything though.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

The Mattybee posted:

My mom's cat won't stop pooping in the bathroom sink. She only specifically poops in one sink, and it's not a litter box issue (or so I think) because there's... nine litter boxes in the house (for 11 cats). I'm worried because there is a very real chance this cat may end up becoming my cat, and I do not want to deal with cleaning out my sink!

She's about 4 years old, female, spayed, and I don't know what kind of food she eats. She's been to the vet pretty recently AFAIK and has been doing this for years, and has always been living at my parents' house. There's a lot of pets - four dogs, eleven cats (it's a very big house).

Why would a cat do this, and how do you prevent them from it?

9 litter boxes for 11 cats actually isn't that great. The general rule of thumb is 1 box/ cat. Are the boxes cleaned every day and emptied every two weeks?

Unless your mom lives in a mansion I'm going to bet that her house is far too cramped for that number of cats, and they aren't getting the attention they need. There's any number of social stresses that can go on when you have a literal community of cats living in one home.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

Nilbog Resident posted:

I guess I worded that poorly. Though this isn't the vacuum recommendation thread so in hindsight it's a pretty dumb question anyway.

Suppose I better just go and get a few litter mats and maybe a lid for the box and see about putting the other one in my bathroom or something.

I don't know about getting litter out of carpet, but this handheld vacuum kicks rear end for removing cat hair from furniture/

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.

God Over Djinn posted:

I acquired this yesterday:

He's my first pet as an adult and I think I made a good choice. I wanted an animal that would keep me company while I worked from home, since my husband works in a traditional office and I get lonely during the day. This cat is hugely affectionate without being outright needy; also, when we got him home from the shelter, he took approximately three minutes to adjust and has shown no signs of hiding, acting neurotic, or getting into anything. I think I got very lucky.

He's also 15 pounds and less than a year old. Maybe he is part ocelot. :3:

Don't be fooled by that fluffy belly either, he does not like having it scratched.
Late, but I just want to say: This is it. You've found the most perfect cat in the world. Congratulations. Wanna rub that tummy.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

So I will start by saying that I am 100% going to get my cat treated, I have just never owned a pet or had vet bills before and have no idea if I am paying the right price or not.

I am also not sure if this is the right thread but

I just brought my cat back from the vet and the treatment plan they are offering for her decaying teeth/biopsing a weird growth is.

Dental procedure grade 3 499.50
Dental Radiograph -full month 142.62
Dental Extractions 10-20 min 163.50
Abeshesia 46
Medication for home 25
Biopsy Procedure 97.37
Hisopathology 172
Taxes 149.03

Total estimate 1295.40

I have no idea if this is the right ball park or not, I am kinda suspicios that it lists dental procedure grade 3 then a bunch of other stuff that involves a dental procedure. I live in burlington Ontario. Is it rude to phone up other vets, send this to them and ask for a quote for the same thing?

TheAbortionator fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 21, 2014

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

TheAbortionator posted:

So I will start by saying that I am 100% going to get my cat treated, I have just never owned a pet or had vet bills before and have no idea if I am paying the right price or not.

I just brought my cat back from the vet and the treatment plan they are offering for her decaying teeth/biopsing a weird growth is.

Abeshesia 46
Medication for home 25
Biopsy Procedure 97.37
Hisopathology 172
Taxes 149.03

Total estimate 1295.40

I have no idea if this is the right ball park or not, I am kinda suspicios that it lists dental procedure grade 3 then a bunch of other stuff that involves a dental procedure. I live in burlington Ontario. Is it rude to phone up other vets, send this to them and ask for a quote for the same thing?

Lots of vets have specials in February for "dental health month" - 10% off or so. Did your vet give you a Feb discount?

I guess it depends on your area and severity of teeth problems but that sounds really high to me. I took my 14 year old cat in for her very first teeth cleaning ever at a 1-vet, cats-only clinic and walked out only $239 poorer. To be fair she only had one minor extraction. I don't have my invoice in front of me but I think it was like $60 for anesthesia, $10 for pain peds, $10 for antibiotics, $10 for minor extractions, $20 for medium extractions, and $24 for major extractions (I can't remember if this related to which tooth or severity of bad tooth) and whatever math is left included the extra charge for a cat "over 8". Your biopsy throws a wrench in it a little bit, but it still sounds pretty out there to me.

fakedit: Oh, Canadian moon money. But still!

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
$60 for anesthesia is a steeeeeal. The price is also going to change depending on how severe things are, and what the clinic offers. Do they have better monitoring equipment? IV fluids? Perhaps they do nerve blocks, or have an ultrasonic scaler instead of a hand scaler. It will vary a lot by region too.

The dental procedure covers the teeth cleaning, basically. Scaling the teeth, charting them, scaling under the gum line, polishing, and fluoride. Dental radiographs are a must for every dental, imo. Even if you consider the price for the cleaning itself to be high, it's probably because the cost of maintaining anesthesia is probably built into it since the anesthesia cost is quite low, even if it's only for induction. Biopsy and histopath prices are mostly set by the lab, so not a lot of wiggle room there.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

They are sneaking in the anesthesia under the first one,

Alpha1
Jun 20, 2010
Do you guys have any suggestions for cat-proofing toilet paper rolls? Right now I have to just keep it on top of the toilet and she seems to not mess with it.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Alpha1 posted:

Do you guys have any suggestions for cat-proofing toilet paper rolls? Right now I have to just keep it on top of the toilet and she seems to not mess with it.

If your toilet paper normally is hanging in a holder on the wall, then take the cardboard from an empty roll - and cut it up length wide (so you'll get a flexible piece of cardboard which is curved), slide the cut up cardboard onto the loose end of the toilet roll.

Kidney Stone fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 22, 2014

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Braki posted:

$60 for anesthesia is a steeeeeal.
Cool. My bad tho, it was $67.20

Found my invoice:

Dental cleaning (over 8): $105.60
Anesthesia for dental patients: $67.20
Dental Extraction, Moderate: 12.76
Inj penicillin: $21.00
Clindamycin drops: $24.25
Buprenorphine oral: $8.83
Pre-surgical exam: $0.00

This is all after "dental month" discount of approx 20%, but also now I'm noticing they include taxes in all these charges too. I also forgot to mention they require bloodwork for dental work, but I had that done during her checkup a couple weeks before so I didn't have to do it again obviously. It was $165, so tack that on to my estimate if we're pretending I was a random walk-in.

Just for everyone's FYI if anyone wants to compare notes.

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 22, 2014

Pendergast
Nov 11, 2012
Is there a better way to give a cat liquid medicine? My cat has a fit when we try and we only manage to get about half in. We've tried wrapping her up burrito style in a towel but it is still a struggle. I've tried watching you ube videos of what to do but it doesn't help much as she had such a fit.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

TheAbortionator posted:

Abeshesia 46
Medication for home 25
Biopsy Procedure 97.37
Hisopathology 172
Taxes 149.03

Total estimate 1295.40

Usually Dental Procedures cover cleaning, scaling, probing. Grade 3 usually means the worst. Having not seen the mouth myself, I can't comment on whether or not that's appropriate.

Dental rads are well priced and for a lot of cases necessary. Many vets and clients don't do them, but they should.

Biopsy and histopath are well priced, as is everything else.

drat Bananas posted:

Cool. My bad tho, it was $67.20

Found my invoice:

Dental cleaning (over 8): $105.60
Anesthesia for dental patients: $67.20
Dental Extraction, Moderate: 12.76
Inj penicillin: $21.00
Clindamycin drops: $24.25
Buprenorphine oral: $8.83
Pre-surgical exam: $0.00

This is all after "dental month" discount of approx 20%, but also now I'm noticing they include taxes in all these charges too. I also forgot to mention they require bloodwork for dental work, but I had that done during her checkup a couple weeks before so I didn't have to do it again obviously. It was $165, so tack that on to my estimate if we're pretending I was a random walk-in.

Just for everyone's FYI if anyone wants to compare notes.

drat Bananas, that is a loving steal. To be fair, I would refuse to do a dental on a 14yo cat without an IV catheter and fluids. That kind of dental price would be for a 3 year old healthy cat with dental buildup, no extractions, and no rads at my clinic.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Alpha1 posted:

I used to re install the rolls as under instead of over

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

We have a six month old kitten who suddenly developed this lump beside his nose. Yesterday my wife noticed he had something similar appearing on the other side of his nose. Anyone have any idea what it could possibly be? We've had him since he was 12 weeks old, he has all his shots, he's fixed. He seems a little quieter lately but that might just be us looking for differences in his behavior since the lump appeared.
Here's a pic:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I could do with some help.

My cat's about 9-11 years old, rescue cat so I'm not sure exactly. She's been getting quite stiff/clumsy the last couple of months, and it's been escalating quite fast - for the last couple of weeks, she's not been eating much either. She'll eat, but she's not been nagging for food like usual. (e: She's lost half a kilo since her last checkup a few months ago, 4.5kg to 4kg) The last couple of days, she's been avoiding moving at all, only walking anywhere if she really needs the litter tray, or if she's really hungry. I'm assuming arthritis, or some other joint complaint.

I took her to the vet yesterday, and she got a full checkup (nothing obviously wrong), and he gave her anti-inflammatories, daily doses of Metacam, and advised better food (she was on decent stuff anyway, but really nice stuff should tempt her to eat more, and more nutrients, etc). That was about 36 hours ago, and there's no visible improvement. If anything, she's less willing to move. She's happily eating when I take the food bowl to her, and is using the tray normally.

When I took her, I made another appointment for 10 days' time, to see if there was an improvement, but can anyone advise me on if I should get in touch with the vet sooner - how long should Metacam take to kick in? She's not showing pain when she's in one place, but walking is clearly very painful.

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 23, 2014

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I heard today that one of our recently homed young cats had to be put to sleep. He was barely 8 months old and we'd had him since he came in with his mother + siblings at 5 weeks. I'd been in the pen just a few weeks ago playing with them so it's quite a shock to be told such an active, lovely animal had had to be put down. He'd gone to a new home 2 weekends back (black or black and white cats have been really hard to move this year) and everything was going great, he was settling in no problems. He suddenly stopped eating and was all lethargic mid week so his family took him to the vet. They said he was anemic and kept him in overnight, they advised the family the next day that is was getting worse and that treatment was likely to be expensive while the outcome was not looking good. So they put him to sleep.
Our vets got involved once they rang us to let us know and they have decided it was probably some form of autoimmune disease. His red cell count was under 5 but we can't find out for sure as they had the body cremated without a postmortem exam. HSS, how rare is this sort of thing? We've been doing this rescue work for almost 20 years and this is the first time we've seen it.

Now we have to contact the owners of the other 4 kittens from the litter and get them for a checkup. Our vet stressed that if it was autoimmune it's unlikely to be present in his siblings but we feel we have to at least contact them and get the blood work done. It's always so sad to lose the young ones before they had a chance to enjoy life - he's the one on the far left in this image.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I don't have the write up but the total for dental plus basic vet visit stuff was $822. This was including several extractions from rare deformed genetic teeth things.

And I might end up diving into getting my own cat after all, my ridiculously kind mom was definitely pushing for me to go ahead and at least give it a shot after I told her about this black man-suit cat I saw on petfinder. Unfortunately this shelter is unreliable with email it seems. His petfinder only gave an email to ask about him and I haven't heard back. I am hoping it doesn't mean he various terribly underlying issues they don't want to list.

:3:

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
Does anyone know where I can get a Cat Tie for my buddy Tucker?

He has an orange and brown houndstooth one already, but I want a more quality one.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sataere posted:

We have a six month old kitten who suddenly developed this lump beside his nose. Yesterday my wife noticed he had something similar appearing on the other side of his nose. Anyone have any idea what it could possibly be? We've had him since he was 12 weeks old, he has all his shots, he's fixed. He seems a little quieter lately but that might just be us looking for differences in his behavior since the lump appeared.
Here's a pic:

That's not a terribly good photo, too blurry to make out any details.

one sexy loser
Dec 10, 2007

Bina posted:

He has an orange and brown houndstooth one already, but I want a more quality one.

Let's face it, the cat is eventually going to rip it up. Go for quantity over quality and buy one of each from deal extreme. It's pretty unlikely they can sneak lead into them.

http://dx.com/p/rainbow-pattern-pet-dog-necktie-acu-camouflage-291733#.UwnbvoVew6U

http://dx.com/p/zebra-pattern-pet-dog-necktie-black-white-291739#.Uwnbu4Vew6U

http://dx.com/p/adjustable-pet-dog-cat-handsome-butterfly-bow-tie-green-221265#.UwncCoVew6U

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Bina posted:

Google Sewsmooth and goon Funhilde will hook you up.

Zandorv
Nov 22, 2011

Does anyone have any thoughts on ceramic vs metal cat bowls, particularly for water? I noticed that my cats seemed reluctant to drink out of the stainless steel bowl they had, but seemed to want to drink out of the bathroom sink and the toilet (but not the kitchen sink, which is also steel). I thought that maybe the steel gave the water a metallic taste they didn't like, so I got them a ceramic water dish and they've licked it dry before even touching the metal dish. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I think my dumbass may have eaten a small (2-2.5 inch) piece of string. That's probably not long enough to hurt her, right? Should I do anything beyond keeping an eye out for it in her poop?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Hummingbirds posted:

I think my dumbass may have eaten a small (2-2.5 inch) piece of string. That's probably not long enough to hurt her, right? Should I do anything beyond keeping an eye out for it in her poop?

Call a vet and ask them. Typically they'll have you observe for a day or two to see if it passes or if there is any evidence of blockage (i.e., painful abdomen, no appetite). Or they may ask you to come in for x-rays to figure out where it is and if it is likely to pass.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Sataere posted:

Here's a pic:

Its hard to tell from the photo but the lump more towards his lip than nose? My cat had a lump come up in the same place when she was young, it turned out to be a 'rodent ulcer' which is a form of skin cancer. Get it checked out by a vet, if it is a rodent ulcer it's quite easy to treat.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Ratzap posted:

I heard today that one of our recently homed young cats had to be put to sleep. He was barely 8 months old and we'd had him since he came in with his mother + siblings at 5 weeks. I'd been in the pen just a few weeks ago playing with them so it's quite a shock to be told such an active, lovely animal had had to be put down. He'd gone to a new home 2 weekends back (black or black and white cats have been really hard to move this year) and everything was going great, he was settling in no problems. He suddenly stopped eating and was all lethargic mid week so his family took him to the vet. They said he was anemic and kept him in overnight, they advised the family the next day that is was getting worse and that treatment was likely to be expensive while the outcome was not looking good. So they put him to sleep.
Our vets got involved once they rang us to let us know and they have decided it was probably some form of autoimmune disease. His red cell count was under 5 but we can't find out for sure as they had the body cremated without a postmortem exam. HSS, how rare is this sort of thing? We've been doing this rescue work for almost 20 years and this is the first time we've seen it.

Now we have to contact the owners of the other 4 kittens from the litter and get them for a checkup. Our vet stressed that if it was autoimmune it's unlikely to be present in his siblings but we feel we have to at least contact them and get the blood work done. It's always so sad to lose the young ones before they had a chance to enjoy life - he's the one on the far left in this image.

Hm they didn't do any kind of postmortem exam and had an onset of lethargy and anorexia with anemia? In a young cat I'd be more likely to attribute that to a toxin, FeLV or FIP rather than autoimmune disease. Dogs can get primary autoimmune-related anemia if you look at them wrong. It's much rarer in cats. It's too bad they didn't do a necropsy or couldn't afford more diagnostics to figure it out, but I'd bet on one of the above 3 etiologies.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Topoisomerase posted:

Hm they didn't do any kind of postmortem exam and had an onset of lethargy and anorexia with anemia? In a young cat I'd be more likely to attribute that to a toxin, FeLV or FIP rather than autoimmune disease. Dogs can get primary autoimmune-related anemia if you look at them wrong. It's much rarer in cats. It's too bad they didn't do a necropsy or couldn't afford more diagnostics to figure it out, but I'd bet on one of the above 3 etiologies.

We thought of FeLV but he was vaccinated with the usual tri-cat for this area. It's unfortunate they cremated the body so fast but we can't really say much since they were the legal owners and they aren't blaming us for anything. I can't help but feel sorry for them, I met their kids when they picked him up and I'm sure they're pretty upset right now. We can try asking for more details once they've had some time but I can't help wondering about lilies or such in the house.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Followup to my previous post:

She's much better today! A bit creaky still, but walking around the house, and taking full advantage of the 'all-you-can-eat-and-sleep-on' mood. So, about 48h for Metacam to kick in, and then a really sudden improvement.

Still not sure what's caused it, it felt very sudden for arthritis, but hopefully the vet will have answers.

Also;

Tabby + Ginger = ?

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

duckfarts posted:

Google Sewsmooth and goon Funhilde will hook you up.

Ahhhhhahahaha pink plaid will look awesome on Hugo. Poor little bastard.. pardon me while I go spend my hard earned wages on humiliating my cat.

Rah
Mar 9, 2006
My little girls are growing up so quickly. The one on the left with the black nose is Sophie and the other is Chloe. They're both roughly 5 months old now. I've only had them for a few months but can't imagine being without them now <3

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Dienes posted:

Call a vet and ask them. Typically they'll have you observe for a day or two to see if it passes or if there is any evidence of blockage (i.e., painful abdomen, no appetite). Or they may ask you to come in for x-rays to figure out where it is and if it is likely to pass.

Thanks. It was too late to call last night but this morning she's acting right as rain and she's been eating like a champ. Haven't yet checked her poo, but I will when I finish this post.

Now for a more general question. Do you guys find that your cats eat more when it's colder inside the house?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Hummingbirds posted:

Thanks. It was too late to call last night but this morning she's acting right as rain and she's been eating like a champ. Haven't yet checked her poo, but I will when I finish this post.

Now for a more general question. Do you guys find that your cats eat more when it's colder inside the house?
I thiiiiiiiink so, though it's hard to tell sometimes.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

duckfarts posted:

I thiiiiiiiink so, though it's hard to tell sometimes.

Our cats eat varying amounts of food from day to day, but I haven't noticed any particular pattern.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Deteriorata posted:

Our cats eat varying amounts of food from day to day, but I haven't noticed any particular pattern.

Some days despite all the crying and begging, my cat will not touch her wet food and opt to eat her dry food. Other days the wet food is gone in under 10 minutes. :iiam:

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

Rah posted:

My little girls are growing up so quickly. The one on the left with the black nose is Sophie and the other is Chloe. They're both roughly 5 months old now. I've only had them for a few months but can't imagine being without them now <3

Look at those ears!

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Do cats get along with ferrets? I'm still deciding on a buddy for my old man cat, and originally I was thinking about getting him a cat buddy, but ferrets are adorable. Any health concerns I should be worried about?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pudding's well settled in. Also feisty.

And a gud hunter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I introduced a kitten to my older cat Sega, (Sega is just over a year old, and the kitten is an indefinite age, but still little.) They aren't mean / meowling, they aren't really do anything bad and are just chilling maybe six inches from each other. Sega looked like he was going to take a swipe at the kitten once but I told Sega no and he stopped. (He raised his paw at the kitten.)

I also left them home alone, and when I came back they hadn't killed each other. Does that mean everything is good and I have nothing to worry about?