Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

Cuntpunch posted:

Silver goons: JUST PLAY IN GOONMANS

I used to play original CS(Beta3->1.0?) have dabbled in Source, but mostly not played for a while. Picked up CSGO on Christmas Sale and before goonmanning my initial ranking got placed at Gold 1. These days I'm MM-ranked at Gold-4, but I hardly ever MM and I feel like I'm probably higher ranked than that just based on trial-by-fire in Goonmans with a lot of the really good players wiping the floor with me. The regulars are pretty much all chill and totally forgiving and accepting of newbies so long as you've taken the time to learn the bare minimal basics: how to keep buy/eco rounds in sync with your team, how to make calls, how not to troll your team with friendly fire and flashes and baiting.

Don't feel like you've got to live in Matchmaking-land until you're dual-AKs to come have fun with goons.

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
If you JUST play in goonmans you're going to get really depressed and feel like a terrible player after awhile, unless you're some kind of CS prodigy. Queue up with some other unranked/silver goons once in awhile to get a sense of how much you've improved by playing with rockstars all the time.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
You should only play in goonmans because things like this happen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oorQFOPRZNM

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

astr0man posted:

This is still my favorite goonman moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xh7sw6thU4

The way glock ness gleefully laughs as Zaphod runs right by him is amazing.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Played some MM with Ernie, Doctor Crime, and Grunt's Party Hat. Had a grand old time, and even snagged the final kill.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Robot Randy posted:

Played some MM with Ernie, Doctor Crime, and Grunt's Party Hat. Had a grand old time, and even snagged the final kill.

I'm Grunt's Party Hat and I have cemented myself as worst CS goon ever.

Jesus Christ Ernie good going carrying that game.

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!
I wish there were other bad ausgoons to queue with, after my defence of solo matchmaking I had a string of teammates bad enough to scare me off :/

Serves me right I guess

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Robot Randy posted:

Were you Alex or Bill? You should totally add me.

Casull posted:

I'm Grunt's Party Hat and I have cemented myself as worst CS goon ever.

Jesus Christ Ernie good going carrying that game.

More goons should join our silver mm games. It's "fun". :unsmigghh:

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm Bill. I think Alex was just some random rear end pubbie

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ernie. posted:

Wipin' the floors with silvers. Nice man :) I remember you fared well enough in a goonman, or at least I think that was you anyways, heh.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

teagone posted:

Wipin' the floors with silvers. Nice man :) I remember you fared well enough in a goonman, or at least I think that was you anyways, heh.

I honestly don't know how the ranking thing works (will I stop being allowed to play with silver goons if I'm put in gold?) but I'm ~7 wins away from knowing what rank I am. I feel like whatever it is, I'll just play with goonmans and get my face wrecked in 100x because given how easy it is to rush and get kills in silver mm, I'll probably be a worse player graduating from the lower ranks than someone should be coming out of them.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Ernie. posted:

I honestly don't know how the ranking thing works (will I stop being allowed to play with silver goons if I'm put in gold?) but I'm ~7 wins away from knowing what rank I am. I feel like whatever it is, I'll just play with goonmans and get my face wrecked in 100x because given how easy it is to rush and get kills in silver mm, I'll probably be a worse player graduating from the lower ranks than someone should be coming out of them.

You can play with any rank, it does matchmaking based on averaging each teams elo basically.

Just make a habit of playing a lot slower in goonmans, watch corners more and don't push much.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Silver players shouldn't feel bad! Lots of people start out low rank. My first rank was silver 2. Got as high as roman eagle and now I just suck.

Ernie. posted:

I'll just play with goonmans and get my face wrecked in 100x because given how easy it is to rush and get kills in silver mm

You would be surprised how much changing things up with a rushdown when they expect a long range rifle battle can rattle a team of higher ranked players.

e: beautiful...

Xenaero fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 20, 2014

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ernie. posted:

I was complimenting your score, btw. Not sure if that's how I came across or not :shobon:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Goonberts help a bro out. If someone knows anything about mapmaking (specifically advanced triggers), I need some help for HE Goonball

OR ANSWER ME THESE QUESTIONS THREE THE HE_GOONBALL_B2 THEN YOU WILL SEE
  • Looking for the csgo trigger for a button (or usable object) that heals while the button is pressed (or heals with a trigger reset). Think like the HL2 suitcharger but is an unlimited entity that heals the person (and only the person) who is using it?
  • Looking for a trigger that will kill and respawn an entity (not a player) when the entity passes through a certain point. Like the Aperture Science Material Emancipation Grill.
  • Looking for a trigger that when touched, will give any player that touches it a specific weapon.
  • Looking for a trigger that will do something based off what the current game score is (if that's a thing).

Post PM or add on Steam tia broskis

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Feb 20, 2014

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Theresa Frontpage posted:

If you JUST play in goonmans you're going to get really depressed and feel like a terrible player after awhile, unless you're some kind of CS prodigy. Queue up with some other unranked/silver goons once in awhile to get a sense of how much you've improved by playing with rockstars all the time.

Theresa Frontpage posted:

playing with rockstars

http://gfycat.com/MasculineFamousBluetickcoonhound

This may also be interpreted as a case for the XM1014 to be given an Aug-like overhaul.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
That .gif is incredible. The XM is a really good gun for tight spots, but the only thing that's disappointing about it is for the same price point, the P90 Laser Death Rushdown Device is generally the go-to. I'll grab an XM on T side if I can't afford a P90. CT side, it's all about the Mag-7.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Ernie. posted:

Haha drat, looks like I missed out! Grunt's Party Hat invited me but I couldn't make it. But tonight... :kheldragar:

Eyke
Oct 15, 2013

Man with a dream to have fun.

Cuntpunch posted:

Silver goons: JUST PLAY IN GOONMANS

I used to play original CS(Beta3->1.0?) have dabbled in Source, but mostly not played for a while. Picked up CSGO on Christmas Sale and before goonmanning my initial ranking got placed at Gold 1. These days I'm MM-ranked at Gold-4, but I hardly ever MM and I feel like I'm probably higher ranked than that just based on trial-by-fire in Goonmans with a lot of the really good players wiping the floor with me. The regulars are pretty much all chill and totally forgiving and accepting of newbies so long as you've taken the time to learn the bare minimal basics: how to keep buy/eco rounds in sync with your team, how to make calls, how not to troll your team with friendly fire and flashes and baiting.

Don't feel like you've got to live in Matchmaking-land until you're dual-AKs to come have fun with goons.

playing is how you get better after all. Sitting on your desktop isn't going to make you any better. Start thinking why you died and using smokes/flashes more effectively (all I do is flash myself).

Barehanded Brother
Feb 12, 2007

When you have a Hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Ernie. posted:

ernie are you more fun to play CS with than mafia y/n

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!
Is it cool that I keep my second round buy into my third? I die a lot because you all loving hack and I do it to keep some extra dosh.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Do pistols not get an accuracy penalty for moving like shotguns? I feel like I'm still pretty accurate while moving but being more accurate is always fun.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

Mesothelioma posted:

Is it cool that I keep my second round buy into my third? I die a lot because you all loving hack and I do it to keep some extra dosh.
It depends on what you're buying, what team, etc. If you win pistol round on T, it won't really matter what you buy second round, if you survive you can hang on to it because the CTs won't be buying until round 4, so even an SMG will cut them down without armor.

But if you win pistol round and you're on CT, there's a bit more to consider. If the Ts get the bomb down in either the first or second round, they will likely buy AKs and armor on round 3. So if you bought a Famas round 2, sure, you can hold on to it, since it still does enough* damage to an armored head. But if you have an SMG, you're better off upgrading. It's a situational thing, depending on what you have and when the other team will be buying.

*the famas doesn't do a TON of damage to an armored head, but it does more than the SMGs to the point where two bullets (one to the head, one anywhere else) will get a kill. Whereas the SMGs (except for the Ump) would take three bullets (one to the head two to the body) or two to the head in order to get a kill.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

astr0man posted:

Fuckin Hotfries... He was probably in-game muted blasting Super Eurobeat at least

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Mesothelioma posted:

It's situational. If you know the other team is going to be eco again then yeah you can keep your smg/shottie/whatever.

pre:
Buying guide for CT side w/pistol round + anti-eco round wins:
Round 2: buy smg/shotgun + armor
Round 3:
- Did T's successfully plant in round 1 or 2?
-- yes -> Buy/upgrade to rifle + armor
-- no ->Did you survive round 2:
--- yes -> Keep your smg/shotgun
--- no -> Buy a rifle + armor (this is because you probably won't be able to afford an SMG now and then the upgrade in round 4)
Round 4: upgrade to rifle + armor if you haven't already
For T side it's simpler, basically you aren't forced to upgrade at all until round 4. If you die round 2 and can afford an AK in round 3 you can just go ahead and buy it then.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
The should make an alternative version of the T auto sniper that has normal sights instead of the scope. Would this be awesome??

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

astr0man posted:

I've been thinking about cutting together a video of some goonman rounds with commentary/analysis on some good and bad plays with explanations as to why. Would anybody actually watch this y/n?

I want to watch this

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Eyke posted:

(all I do is flash myself).

That's probably not true, I'm sure you've flashed plenty of teammates.

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.

Ernie. posted:

I want to play with you all. I am Silver 6, Silver Elite Master or something. I'll play like a Silver 1 when it matters though, don't worry.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Another highlight from last night's goonmans:

Counter-Strike: Grocery Offensive

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Cuntpunch posted:

That 360 spraying headshot, still so good :lol:

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!

Cuntpunch posted:

What map is this?

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

Cowabanga posted:

Do pistols not get an accuracy penalty for moving like shotguns? I feel like I'm still pretty accurate while moving but being more accurate is always fun.

Also curious about this.

edit: Also someone linked to a test map good for figuring out how accuracy and spread and things work but I can't find the link. Anyone have it?

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Also curious about this.

edit: Also someone linked to a test map good for figuring out how accuracy and spread and things work but I can't find the link. Anyone have it?

This one? http://csgo.gamebanana.com/maps/168139

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.
The map was de_pakistan some map that face found, half of it looks like it was straight lifted from de_chinatown, I didn't play in it, but it looked alright.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
It plays a lot better than chinatown. It's not a map that I'd vote for a lot but I had fun. I'd say it's at least as enjoyable as conduit as far as community maps go.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Also curious about this.

dust 2 has tons of white walls to spray if you want to work on recoil patterns. sv_cheats 1 sv_infinite_ammo 2 and give weapon_ak47. sv_showimpacts 1 or weapon_debug_spread_show if you want that.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

Xenaero posted:

That .gif is incredible. The XM is a really good gun for tight spots, but the only thing that's disappointing about it is for the same price point, the P90 Laser Death Rushdown Device is generally the go-to. I'll grab an XM on T side if I can't afford a P90. CT side, it's all about the Mag-7.

The XM feels totally useless to me at any engagement distance further than like, arm's length. The spread on those pellets is just so huge. I started practicing with the nova and I like it a lot more.

That gif is 100% rockstar tho

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Also curious about this.

That map I linked you (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=143904777) is really good for quick target acquisition training and hitting your mark. That's what I use it for mostly as Friberg explains here: http://www.twitch.tv/officialfriberg/c/3336585, but there are modes on the map where you can also practice your reflex/twitch shot, recoil/burst control, and practicing angles/sliding your mouse to targets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

teagone posted:

That map I linked you (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=143904777) is really good for quick target acquisition training and hitting your mark. That's what I use it for mostly as Friberg explains here: http://www.twitch.tv/officialfriberg/c/3336585, but there are modes on the map where you can also practice your reflex/twitch shot, recoil/burst control, and practicing angles/sliding your mouse to targets.

Thank you! Will test this out tonight.

• Locked thread