Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
One of the fun things about religion chat is that pretty much every prayer (or curse) in Rome is answered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
For fans of black comedy and horror, Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberto, half of The League of Gentlemen, who also made the excellent Psychoville have a new BBC Two series, Inside No.9.

Each episode is a self-contained story inside various houses, all No.9. I've just watched the first episode, focussed on a game of Sardines during a party, and it was really good. A little subdued compared to some of their past work, but still shot through with unease, humour, and a darkness verging on pitch black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8m_PBLRzs0

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

zoux posted:

I will forgive all this BSG/LOST bullshit if someone posts the gif of fat Lee saluting a cheeseburger.

I got a new computer so I don't have that one anymore and can't find it, but the original is pretty great, too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Inside No. 9 is my favourite thing on British TV right now. Quite subtle and understated while still being as darkly funny and creepy as their previous work. Unease is a good word to use to describe how it feels to watch. And each episode is completely stand-alone, so you can watch whichever. The second episode (the creators take on a no-dialogue farce) is pretty brilliant.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sober posted:

Sci-fi fans literally are the worst and would rather you just :gizz: plot at them and have characters vomit hard sci-fi technobabble all day, that's why sci-fi is treated like a joke. I want a loving goddamn dense as gently caress character study in a sci-fi setting, if only to piss off sci-fi fans. Like a True Detective in space. True Space Detective.

Isn't that basically what Eureka was?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eureka was a silly procedural. It certainly pissed off sci fi nerds by not giving one poo poo about "hard sci fi" but I think Sober's point was a more high shooting show that did something like a character study extremely well but threw it in a sci if setting just to show those nerds can't enjoy good tv because they're just obsessed with the science.

So basically if Walter White made space meth and blew up space ships with bad chemistry.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Eureka was a silly procedural. It certainly pissed off sci fi nerds by not giving one poo poo about "hard sci fi" but I think Sober's point was a more high shooting show that did something like a character study extremely well but threw it in a sci if setting just to show those nerds can't enjoy good tv because they're just obsessed with the science.

So basically if Walter White made space meth and blew up space ships with bad chemistry.
Person of Interest is getting there.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Fringe and Person of Interest certainly qualify as great character studies that also happen to be brilliant, life-affirming sci-fi.

Rick and Morty is getting there as well.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

STAC Goat posted:

Eureka was a silly procedural. It certainly pissed off sci fi nerds by not giving one poo poo about "hard sci fi"

It pissed me off by being both awful and not science fiction at all. It was poorly written anti-intellectual fantasy in scifi drag.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

But are they really terrible science? Because I think that's the key here. Like imagine if the Walking Dead was abetter, more consistent show when it came to character drama and plot. If it lived up to the brilliant pilot episode. Those weirdos would still be in that thread obsessing over bullet counts, zombie biology, fence building, and proper presentation of diarrhea after eating expired food.

^^^^ Apologies but I thought Eureka was fun, light, silliness and the fact that it seemed to make so many people so angry by not caring about science at all just makes me smile. I miss you, Sheriff Carter, and your wonderful way of saving the day with blue collar common sense after those drat geniuses screwed everything up.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 21, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I like Eureka and Walking Dead quite a bit. I make a terrible goon.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

STAC Goat posted:

^^^^ Apologies but I thought Eureka was fun, light, silliness and the fact that it seemed to make so many people so angry by not caring about science at all just makes me smile. I miss you, Sheriff Carter, and your wonderful way of saving the day with blue collar common sense after those drat geniuses screwed everything up.

I have no problem with science in science fiction being made, I absolutely love Farscape and the science in that simply isn't addressed beyond an attitude of "it's alien, you wouldn't understand so we wont bother explaining". It is there as part of the consistent and colourful universe built around the central characters so that you can better enjoy their stories.
I can only speak for myself but what bothered me about Eureka, other than my subjective (and objectively correct) opinion that it was poo poo, was that it claimed to be science fiction but everything that happened was essentially magic as demanded by the plot that episode in furtherance of a subtext that elevated ignorance and denigrated education.
And it was poo poo.

By the by, I've just watched episode two of Inside No.9, and yeah, brilliant is the word to describe it. A dialogue free half hour that was utterly enthralling.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 21, 2014

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Walking Dead is one of my favorite shows and I'm still sad Eureka is gone. You're not alone.

I used to watch the Big Bang Theory and have been meaning to catch up on it and Modern Family.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I havent watched BBT or BSG. I find it hard to watch shows that everyone tells me I should watch. Hell, I didn't even watch The Wire until recently. Modern Family is still pretty good though.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

STAC Goat posted:

But are they really terrible science? Because I think that's the key here. Like imagine if the Walking Dead was abetter, more consistent show when it came to character drama and plot. If it lived up to the brilliant pilot episode. Those weirdos would still be in that thread obsessing over bullet counts, zombie biology, fence building, and proper presentation of diarrhea after eating expired food.
Those weirdos probably are the people who write fiction by slapping a bunch of TV Tropes tropes together (and spend more time reading about tropes than writing anything relatable) and being confused as to why no one takes them seriously.

I never get caught up on poo poo like bullet counts or how Carl can headshot zombies or unironically use the term 'plot armour' to explain why or how a character survives a hail of gunfire. It doesn't matter any way in something like The Walking Dead because sometimes you have to move the plot along. Granted there are probably smarter ways to go about it but it's secondary to what the creators want to achieve.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
That kind of spergy discussion happens in the Boardwalk Empire thread as well (e.g. "The blood and brain splatters should have flown left at a 67 degree angle after that head shot, not 34 degrees right!") so it might just be gun nuts rather than science purists.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah it's not really a problem with science fiction fans so much as it is a problem with on-spectrum cretins.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

IRQ posted:

This, it's just unfathomably stupid. Also the whole Cylon plan being uh, has anyone figured out what their plan even was? (and minor nit-picks)

The "plan" was originally just to wipe out the Colonials entirely. After that "the plan" was just never planned out as a coherent storyline. Like everything else probably due to the Dualla/Lee relationship which the writers admit sucked the life out of every other story/the show.

I realise that a lot of people had given up by this point; after the finale there was a DVD-movie called BSG: The Plan. It attempted to make at least some sense of the "plan" storyline and cast it in the light of the Cylons causing themselves internal conflict due to wanting to make humanity suffer, vs letting guilt for what they did get to them, vs just being plain incompetent bags of meat. It isn't exactly Oscar level stuff but if you enjoyed BSG even a bit it is a reasonably entertaining watch to finish off the show imo.

twoot fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 21, 2014

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, it's just obsessive, myopic nerds. It can show up in a dozen different ways. Gun nuts seems to be one of the flavors as are survival nuts. But sci if seems to draw a good number of the science nerds who can't see beyond that.

Basically I recent watched Party Down and its millions of people that Martin Starr character was based on. The "hard sci fi" writer who writes mind numbing stories riddled with science facts and details but no human characterization or story development, and then gets angry that everyone around him is too stupid to understand.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, it's just obsessive, myopic nerds. It can show up in a dozen different ways. Gun nuts seems to be one of the flavors as are survival nuts. But sci if seems to draw a good number of the science nerds who can't see beyond that.

Basically I recent watched Party Down and its millions of people that Martin Starr character was based on. The "hard sci fi" writer who writes mind numbing stories riddled with science facts and details but no human characterization or story development, and then gets angry that everyone around him is too stupid to understand.

I've never watched Party Down but I know the character you're talking about from seeing that youtube clip of him lecturing the girl about how her sci-fi opinions are wrong.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Eureka was similar to Psych in that I found their respective leads, Carter and Sean, to be borderline insufferable. I'm surprised at how I enjoyed them.

Walking Dead has vastly improved. I no longer hate watch. I can't imagine what the thread must have been like during Season 2. Probably like Revolution Season 1. When a show is that bad, it deserves the gun nuts and survivalists.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
The problem with BSG's religious themes weren't that they were religious, but that they were ham-handed and not very enjoyable to watch, but that's a matter of personal taste I guess, because I felt like whenever it had the chance to use the religious themes to advance character, they chose to advance plot instead. On the other hand, I haven't watched it since it was originally coming out so maybe I'm misremembering.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

savinhill posted:

I've never watched Party Down but I know the character you're talking about from seeing that youtube clip of him lecturing the girl about how her sci-fi opinions are wrong.

Everyone should watch Party Down, it's one of the best comedies in recent memory.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Warszawa posted:

The problem with BSG's religious themes weren't that they were religious, but that they were ham-handed and not very enjoyable to watch, but that's a matter of personal taste I guess, because I felt like whenever it had the chance to use the religious themes to advance character, they chose to advance plot instead. On the other hand, I haven't watched it since it was originally coming out so maybe I'm misremembering.
I thought the religious stuff was really cool but I still didn't like where it ended up with Starbuck. That was some goofy rear end poo poo

Also I'm not sure why anyone thought going back to pre-history tech would break the cycle

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fast Luck posted:

Also I'm not sure why anyone thought going back to pre-history tech would break the cycle

Because they were idiots and apparently in their world no one ever uttered a phrase like "those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it." And apparently they were arrogant assholes who assumed no society could develop as far technologically as they did even though a previous society had done it first. And even though that society had tried and failed to warn them this society decided to give the new society no heads up to try and avoid the same mistakes they made. Because apparently they're unfamiliar with what a "cycle" actually is.

They were idiot assholes, basically.

Which is also why I didn't like the religious stuff even though I started watching for it. I'm a religious guy, but I also consider myself a realistic guy. I know the difference between faith and fact. But it seemed like the only time the show ever wanted to show religion was by making someone a zealot who risked everything to follow some religious whim that defied all logic. And then the show just made religion solve everything which not only felt lazy and unsatisfying but oversimplified the idea of religion and the agency of people.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

precision posted:

Everyone should watch Party Down, it's one of the best comedies in recent memory.

Seconding this. Party Down is amazing, especially if you're coming into it after having watched Veronica Mars.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I enjoyed Party Down well enough but didn't love it. It just never really clicked for me. Adam Scott seemed kind of underused and I guess maybe some of the comedy was "cringe" based and I don't like that? I'm not sure. I couldn't quite put my finger on why it wasn't clicking for me after I had heard so much about it. Still, worth watching if you have a lazy day or something and have the Starz App and noticing it sitting there like I did (Or Netflix or Amazon or whatever it may be on).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

STAC Goat posted:

I enjoyed Party Down well enough but didn't love it. It just never really clicked for me. Adam Scott seemed kind of underused and I guess maybe some of the comedy was "cringe" based and I don't like that? I'm not sure. I couldn't quite put my finger on why it wasn't clicking for me after I had heard so much about it. Still, worth watching if you have a lazy day or something and have the Starz App and noticing it sitting there like I did (Or Netflix or Amazon or whatever it may be on).

How can the lead character and the focus of every episode be underused? Also My Struggle.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know, he just didn't do much. He was mostly there to be the straight man to have wacky people dance around him. Like I said, I'm not exactly sure why it didn't click for me. It just didn't.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that was hearing Roman sperging off about HARD SCI FI in my head while reading the last page.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Party Down is probably my favourite sitcom since AD but yeah Adam Scott is basically the straight man a lot of the time

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

I don't know, he just didn't do much. He was mostly there to be the straight man to have wacky people dance around him. Like I said, I'm not exactly sure why it didn't click for me. It just didn't.

So what you're trying to say is that you were never having fun yet.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Party Down thread :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s82gTkCDBW0

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

bobkatt013 posted:

How can the lead character and the focus of every episode be underused? Also My Struggle.

If you have an actor constantly "there," but you don't let them do whatever it is they do really well, they're being underused. Like having Adam Scott there but not letting him do what Adam Scott does best. (I don't actually particularly agree with in this case but there you go.)

I'm trying to think of another example but it's actually hard, so I'll make one up: imagine Jean-Ralphio on Parks and Recreation being constantly brought in as a straight man instead of as his current character.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Adam Scott is a better straight man.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah. Also I'm hella sick of Jean-Ralphio. He was great when he was used very sparingly but know it's just "Hey JR showing up saying swag or something".

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I'd go so far as to say Adam Scott is the ultimate perfect straight man.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

scary ghost dog posted:

Adam Scott is a better straight man.
Well yeah.

scary ghost dog posted:

I'd go so far as to say Adam Scott is the ultimate perfect straight man.
Parks and Rec uses him really well because he's a straight man but he can also be weird and nerdy sometimes and the source of a joke. He's not just mugging at the camera the whole time or standing there as other, weirder people play off him.

zoux posted:

Yeah. Also I'm hella sick of Jean-Ralphio. He was great when he was used very sparingly but know it's just "Hey JR showing up saying swag or something".
I am too, actually. And to be honest he was never my favourite.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

zoux posted:

The actor was better used on something like Undercovers. God, I know he is meant to be obnoxious on P&R but I swear sometimes they trot him out way too often and I just can't deal with it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's why I don't watch House of Lies. In addition to the pilot turning me off he's a main cast member.

• Locked thread