Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homullus
Mar 27, 2009

treeboy posted:

you could, but i feel like you'd be a pretty uninteresting one trick pony.

But if we're talking about value (and how they balanced it with other species and races), you can do a thing nobody else can do at creation, for free (and rank 3 is expensive, in starting XP values, when those points could go to a characteristic). A 3 in one piloting or the other would last a starting party a long time, especially if you have the characteristic to back it up, and you do still have all of your class skills at a discount. It's a solid choice for people who want to be good pilots right out of the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

PantsOptional posted:

Every single Corellian is apparently an ace pilot in debt to the Hutts (presumably because he doesn't have the skills required to realize that's a bad idea).
The perfect summation of Edge of the Empire. :lol:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Some of us are playing Twi'leks who are in debt to Black Sun. It's very different because

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I just give corellians Pilot and a skill choice. Seems to be fair.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

homullus posted:

But if we're talking about value (and how they balanced it with other species and races), you can do a thing nobody else can do at creation, for free (and rank 3 is expensive, in starting XP values, when those points could go to a characteristic). A 3 in one piloting or the other would last a starting party a long time, especially if you have the characteristic to back it up, and you do still have all of your class skills at a discount. It's a solid choice for people who want to be good pilots right out of the box.

this is a decent point, free rank 3 to the exclusion of other cheap rank 1 or 2 skills which you could pick up rather quickly for 5-10xp each isn't a terrible deal.

since rank 2->3 alone is what? 15xp for a class skill?

edit: still if we're talking xp cost per skill point, two free rank 1 non-class skills is 20pts while a free Rank 3 class skill is 15pts...but you start the game with three proficiency in something which is harder to quantify as it allows you to potentially focus on cheaper class skills or talents while being more effective (at flying) from the beginning

treeboy fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 19, 2014

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

treeboy posted:

this is a decent point, free rank 3 to the exclusion of other cheap rank 1 or 2 skills which you could pick up rather quickly for 5-10xp each isn't a terrible deal.

since rank 2->3 alone is what? 15xp for a class skill?

edit: still if we're talking xp cost per skill point, two free rank 1 non-class skills is 20pts while a free Rank 3 class skill is 15pts...but you start the game with three proficiency in something which is harder to quantify as it allows you to potentially focus on cheaper class skills or talents while being more effective (at flying) from the beginning

Yeah, exactly. Depending on the party and the campaign, it could be worth less than average or more -- more or less relative to the value of piloting to the player and the campaign.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Is there a good list of reasons to add boost/setback dice? Same for advantage/threat over what's listed in the table in the book?

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

"That really was the most fun I've had with anything Munchkin related ever."

Elendil004 posted:

Is there a good list of reasons to add boost/setback dice? Same for advantage/threat over what's listed in the table in the book?

It can make your players feel more powerful with boosts or make them worried with setbacks. The blank faces on them can cause relief/worry in your players.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
If you learn what talents your players have that remove setback dice then you can remember to add them to those rolls so the players feel like the talent wasn't a waste.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Sorry my post was pretty unclear, my bad. I know in the book it says that players can lobby for boost dice, or that advantage can do more than just the stuff it says on the table. I'm looking for some narrative/fluff/in-character/etc examples of that to help show my group some of the outside the box options.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I decided to try something like 13th Age's icons with my EotE group. They're going to get boost dice with some non-combat rolls related to icons they have a positive relationship with (and with the enemies of those they have negative relationships with).

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I believe I know the answer, but just looking for confirmation, but if I am getting shot at, and have a choice between increasing range by 1 (to add a difficulty die) or diving into cover (to add a setback die) I am better off adding a difficulty die, correct?

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

For boost/setback dice I'm a big fan of reputation or hostility - i.e. rebels treating with imperials would have setback to any of their arguments. A rebel hacking an imperial computer system might as well (hostile network) but a rebel trying to uncover a traitor in the Alliance might have boost dice for hacking Alliance computer systems due to having familiarity/actual credentials to access some information. A neutral planetary system might be somewhere inbetween.

setback/boost can be anything that could potentially help your group from nice/stormy weather, to poor illumination (setback to perception, boost to stealth) or extreme temperatures. A ship losing altitude or with failing artificial gravity might make certain actions difficult while boosting success on an acrobatic leap.

For Advantage/Threat you could potentially spend it in a lot of way outside of the tables offered in the Core Book. But it'd require some discussion at the table. For instance Advantage on a failed lockpick might not open the door, but you also fail to trip security protocols (multiple advantage might short circuit the security in that section and make part of the mission easier to avoid detection). Threat might be the opposite, making other doors more difficult to slice, triggering alarms or causing odd environmental issues (sprinklers go off!) or otherwise making things more difficult

Generally I've always felt it's a great opportunity to embrace the "I've got a bad feeling about this..." moments in Star Wars

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Elendil004 posted:

I believe I know the answer, but just looking for confirmation, but if I am getting shot at, and have a choice between increasing range by 1 (to add a difficulty die) or diving into cover (to add a setback die) I am better off adding a difficulty die, correct?

Yep. A black die is a third of a failure and a third of a threat. A difficulty die is half a failure and three-quarters of a threat.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
My favorite way to run boost/setback it is to do some setup rolls before the main roll and base the addition of boost or setback on those plus environmental/situation stuff. It lets the rest of the party lend their good skills to anyone who's specialized and just generally feels a bit more organic.

For example: the tech guy is hacking slicing at some computer port in the middle of the enemy base, the social character goes up to the security desk and rolls charm to distract the security officer from his alerts. Base the number of boost/setback on how successful the charm roll was.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What was the title for the Jedi portion called? I keep forgetting it. And have they said what era it will take place in?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Kingtheninja posted:

What was the title for the Jedi portion called? I keep forgetting it. And have they said what era it will take place in?

It's Force and Destiny, and as far as I know it's going to be set in the same "post-Yavin, pre-Hoth" timeslot the other two books are. That said, the only thing that really changes based on time frame would be fluff; who's in power, is there a Death Star, are Jedi underground or openly chilling in their temple, etc.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Has anyone been as crazy as to do up death star blueprints/maps ?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

Yes?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

jivjov posted:

It's Force and Destiny, and as far as I know it's going to be set in the same "post-Yavin, pre-Hoth" timeslot the other two books are. That said, the only thing that really changes based on time frame would be fluff; who's in power, is there a Death Star, are Jedi underground or openly chilling in their temple, etc.
As of the Age of Rebellion beta, AoR was (is?) set post-Hoth, pre-Endor.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Yeah, I think the Jedi book will be set post-RotJ to follow the theme.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Elendil004 posted:

If you're looking for some good usable chunks, I'd recommend the WEG Death Star book: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Star_Technical_Companion_(Second_Edition)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chortles posted:

As of the Age of Rebellion beta, AoR was (is?) set post-Hoth, pre-Endor.

Got a source on that? Everything from FFG that I've seen says the "default setting" for the whole line is the post Yavin, pre Hoth slot. Again, not that it really matters, but if there's one thing I sperg about, it's Star Wars continuity.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

Got a source on that? Everything from FFG that I've seen says the "default setting" for the whole line is the post Yavin, pre Hoth slot. Again, not that it really matters, but if there's one thing I sperg about, it's Star Wars continuity.

There's the wikipedia page, and the announcement for the AoR Beta.

quote:

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion is the second of these installments and takes place during the height of the Rebel Alliance’s struggle against the Galactic Empire.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
"Height of the struggle" could really refer to pretty much any point during the original trilogy. First major military victory at Yavin, major military ground action on Hoth, defeat of the Emperor and DS2 at Endor.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Apparently this was mentioned in the beta book, but (as with the EotE beta vs. the final book) it's subject to change anyway, so I wouldn't be surprised if the final book change into being set "post-Yavin, pre-Hoth", which might well mesh with things like the TIE Defender in the beta book being closer to a Y-wing than the infamous killing machine of canon, i.e. it being a prototype version. (Even allowing for "game mechanics" not being canon, said depiction wasn't challenged in the novel appearances.)

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

jivjov posted:

"Height of the struggle" could really refer to pretty much any point during the original trilogy. First major military victory at Yavin, major military ground action on Hoth, defeat of the Emperor and DS2 at Endor.

It could mean that, but if it was at the same time as the first game, they could also have said "at the same time as Edge of the Empire", or "just after the Battle of Yavin."

Edit: also "first major military victory" and "height of struggle" are not the same thing on anything but geological time scales.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm flipping through the beta right now and there are references to the victory at Yavin but none to the defeat at Hoth, at least that I've found.

edit: that said you could use it to run whenever, it's not like there are mechanical difference for pre-hoth and post-hoth.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 20, 2014

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Has anyone tried running campaigns using the AoR classes as Imperials?

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex

Kingtheninja posted:

Has anyone tried running campaigns using the AoR classes as Imperials?

Stephen Ross (whose blog is a treasure trove of DM tools) has been running an AoR campaign as "Crush the Rebellion" with some success.

http://triumphdespair.wordpress.com/2014/01/07/first-operation/

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Likewise, here's a number of AoR beta book Imperial sessions.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Okay, interest checking in here to get some non-IRC opinions... would anyone be interested in a EotE (but with AoR classes allowed) game set in the SWTOR era or maybe a little earlier, like during KotOR the game or even the Dark Horse Comics? It'd probably be about 3-4 players, with a fast and furious posting pace (updates every day or so, posting whether everyone posts or not) and mostly dealing with corporate/political intrigue and corruption with a band of random underside-of-the-law types that get sucked into a story that's larger than them.

Does that sound like it would be up anyone's alley? Or has the FFSW ship sailed and people's interest is now dead until the Jedi crap comes out?

From a page ago, i'd be interested.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Some guy over on the FFG forums got his Dangerous Covenants book in the mail yesterday and has been posting sweet, sweet info. The new species for the book are Aqualish, Klatooinian, and Weequay.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

jivjov posted:

Some guy over on the FFG forums got his Dangerous Covenants book in the mail yesterday and has been posting sweet, sweet info. The new species for the book are Aqualish, Klatooinian, and Weequay.

gently caress yeah

edit: wow that guy is the worst early book haver ever

alg fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 22, 2014

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Yeah, I got mine yesterday also. There are the three species, three new specializations (Enforcer, which is kind of an intimidator with some melee stuff, the Heavy, who gets to mitigate a lot of the penalties for using enormous guns, and the Demolitionist, who gets to do more with explosives), and a bunch of new equipment to support People With Weapons.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I am super pleased to see a demolitions guy specialization. I felt that was one thing the Core book didn't really cover well at all.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Interesting that it's a Hired Gun specialty, I would have thought that it would be with the techies.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FishFood posted:

Interesting that it's a Hired Gun specialty, I would have thought that it would be with the techies.

There's that, but it's more like "Here's the guy you hire when you need something blown up." Like, bank heist or excavation or mayhem. They also have talents that allow themselves and allies to use an out-of-turn maneuver (Time To Go) to get out of a blast, and ones (Selective Detonation) that let them exclude targets from a blast.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

homullus posted:

There's that, but it's more like "Here's the guy you hire when you need something blown up." Like, bank heist or excavation or mayhem. They also have talents that allow themselves and allies to use an out-of-turn maneuver (Time To Go) to get out of a blast, and ones (Selective Detonation) that let them exclude targets from a blast.

It's going to be so great when Jewel of Yavin comes out, people will be trying to put together the best "heist" team.

Also am I bad fan for thinking weequay and klatooinians were the same thing (until I read fate of the jedi)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Sucks that all this cool poo poo is squirreled away in some random side book.

• Locked thread