Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Nondescript Van posted:

A lens I got gets rough when moving past a certain focal length. Pretty sure a gear is binding. It works now but it will need to be fixed because it will get worse. Amazon gave me a partial refund for the problem so I'm not even going to both with fuji and see what the camera repair shop next to my work will charge since that will be faster than any RMA process.

I had a similar issue with my second (out of 3) X100. Ended up returning it but I emailed Fuji customer service and they were fairly prompt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Edward IV posted:

Before I pull the trigger on (pre-ordering) the X-T1, I was wondering about additional flash options. I have a Sony HVL-F56AM with the propriety Minolta hot shoe and I was wondering what kind of adapter I would need to make the two work together. Having automatic functions would be nice to have but I would understand if that isn't possible.

I'd imagine you'll be able to run it fine in manual mode, I've a Canon 580 EX II that I use with my XPro1.

However I'm thinking of picking up the EFX20 for that scenester coolness and TTL.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I'm still leaning heavily towards getting an A7 and the 24-70 OSS, but I'm still kind of tempted by the X-T1 (gonna try and find one in a store soon).

However, noticed they don't work with the Fuji lens deals. Of the bodies on offer with the lens deal (I'd want one that came with the 18-55), which would be the best to resell?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I'm still leaning heavily towards getting an A7 and the 24-70 OSS, but I'm still kind of tempted by the X-T1 (gonna try and find one in a store soon).

However, noticed they don't work with the Fuji lens deals. Of the bodies on offer with the lens deal (I'd want one that came with the 18-55), which would be the best to resell?

None, but the best deal would be the XE1 + 18-55. Not because the resale of the XE1 will be great (about 400bux), because it lowers the over all cost on the 18-55, which you should own if you plan to jump into the system. XE2 with 18-55 is $1299 USD on Amazon, the XE1 with 18-55 is $799. They are basically net-neutral. The XE1 is a lesser over all out of pocket cost if your plan is to sell the body and keep the lens.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Got those thumb grips you guys recommended in the mail today. It didn't really "fit" the XE1 because it has a little plastic nub that the exposure comp dial interferes with.

Nothing a boxcutter and some good ole fashioned whittlin' won't fix though. Fits great now and is comfortable. The quality is kind of poo poo but for $2 I don't really care. When it bothers me enough I'll shell out $20 for a metal one but until then I can finally use the XE1 one handed comfortably :)

(I whittled the $2 thumb rest, not my camera :downs: )

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Musket posted:

None, but the best deal would be the XE1 + 18-55. Not because the resale of the XE1 will be great (about 400bux), because it lowers the over all cost on the 18-55, which you should own if you plan to jump into the system. XE2 with 18-55 is $1299 USD on Amazon, the XE1 with 18-55 is $799. They are basically net-neutral. The XE1 is a lesser over all out of pocket cost if your plan is to sell the body and keep the lens.

Thanks!

Yeah, that was what I was looking to do. But I'm messing around with B&H right now and it looks like you don't need to purchase one of those bodies to qualify this time (could have sworn I read that somewhere), the discounts show up as you're browsing the store regularly, and are still applied when I add everything to my cart. That's a plus; happy not to have to deal with the hassle/fees of selling something (got enough stuff I'm gonna be liquidating soon enough...)

Pretty much down to how I decide to go system-wise, writing everything out and comparing over the next day or two. This thread is pretty much a never-ending tidal wave of Fuji love, but I used to shoot full frame (5D, which I still have and am going to be selling one way or the other), and I've been really happy with my NEX for the last 3.5 years. Sony also seems to have a lot more flexibility and potential; while Fuji clearly has them beat in the lens department, I actually prefer to shoot with zooms most of the time, and the full frame sensor coupled with much greater resolution is pretty tempting, especially as I'm looking to get back into the occasional pro gig later this year. I also like the integration of the crop body lenses with the FF bodies (eventually probably pick up an a6000 as a backup/secondary body if I got an A7), and the ability to use the adapter with FF A-mount lenses, gives me the ability to pick up a DSLR/SLT later on if I really need the monster AF, bigger heft, etc. Would really like to see a side-by-side of the high ISO between the X-T1 and the a7/a7r, and/or an a6000.

OTOH, looking at the prices of the Fuji lenses secondhand, I stand to lose only a fraction of what I spend on the glass (18-55, 55-200, and 35. 1.4) if I buy it during this sale and don't abuse 'em.

edit: forgot about the RAW stuff. How are the Fuji RAW files in LR5? I finally switched from Photoshop CS to LR5, and picked up three VSCO film packs a couple months ago. Not really keen to throw all that away.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 20, 2014

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Elliotw2 posted:

I'd say go for a Micro 4/3rds body, you can get them cheap and they have loads of good lenses. You could try the NEX, but it's got some issues with Sony not supporting it lens wise.

There's a shop near me that's selling an open-box NEX-5R (with the 18-55mm) and a new NEX-3N (with the 16-50mm) at the same price, about $350. Google tells me these are decent prices! Should I jump on one of these, or should I wait for the a5000/a6000 and pick up one of those? Are the differences between the models going to be something I notice? I want to do general-purpose and low-light/concert photos for the most part.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Twiin posted:

There's a shop near me that's selling an open-box NEX-5R (with the 18-55mm) and a new NEX-3N (with the 16-50mm) at the same price, about $350. Google tells me these are decent prices! Should I jump on one of these, or should I wait for the a5000/a6000 and pick up one of those? Are the differences between the models going to be something I notice? I want to do general-purpose and low-light/concert photos for the most part.

The 5R is okay, but if you're not in a hurry, I'd wait for A6000 prices to settle down. I shoot concerts with a 5N and it's good to 6400, 12800 in a pinch.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

HPL posted:

The 5R is okay, but if you're not in a hurry, I'd wait for A6000 prices to settle down. I shoot concerts with a 5N and it's good to 6400, 12800 in a pinch.

Yeah, for your purposes, I would probably get an a6000 for the autofocus and EVF. Probably want to get either the 35 or 50 f/1.8 OSS, depending on how close you're shooting from.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The 35mm f/1.8 is damned leisurely when it comes to AF speed on the 5N. I hope it's faster on a newer body.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

edit: forgot about the RAW stuff. How are the Fuji RAW files in LR5? I finally switched from Photoshop CS to LR5, and picked up three VSCO film packs a couple months ago. Not really keen to throw all that away.

The real question is do you peep dem pixels to 50000000%? If so, no raw converter will leave you happy. If you dont peep too hard LR5 is great. The internet has no problem finding faults in the Xtrans sensor 1 or 2. These are also people that spend more time shooting walls and charts than anything else.

I have yet to run into problems the internet claims the Xtrans sensors have when working with RAF files. I dont look deep into my files except for taking dust out of an image. VSCO will work as intended with RAF files nbd. Ensure your LR is up to date.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
If you really take a masterpiece that you'll care about in 10 years and need MAX QUALITY for I'm sure Lightroom will have the Xtrans sensor thoroughly figured out by then. That's one the advantages of RAWs, you can come back later and squeeze a little more out of your picture thanks to improvements in the RAW converters.

I can't imagine the existing one is really that awful, though.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Musket posted:

The real question is do you peep dem pixels to 50000000%? If so, no raw converter will leave you happy. If you dont peep too hard LR5 is great. The internet has no problem finding faults in the Xtrans sensor 1 or 2. These are also people that spend more time shooting walls and charts than anything else.

I have yet to run into problems the internet claims the Xtrans sensors have when working with RAF files. I dont look deep into my files except for taking dust out of an image. VSCO will work as intended with RAF files nbd. Ensure your LR is up to date.

The internet is full of people who need to print 40x60 fine art prints for display in the ultra-exclusive gallery "mon cellier" , don't forget.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

LR5 makes plant leaves slightly less appealing than if something else processed the RAW, like CaptureOne. I can see the effect now occasionally, but I honestly didn't notice it until someone pointed it out on a blog post.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
You'd think Fuji would be working very closely with Adobe on their understanding of how to maximize image quality from the X-trans RAWs. Maybe they are.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
speaking of fuji and raw, chould somebody tell me what is going on here:

It's from my x-a1, so no xtrans sensor. The jpgs with the camera do not have this issue. This is an unedited raf at 100%. The entire image is not like this and there are parts that are aliased. This mainly happens ins areas with little details in high contrast like branches against the sky like this example. I know raw requires some work but i've never had this issue with nikon, leica, or canon raw files. Googling wasn't much help. All I found were sample images comparing default demosaicing algorithms across various raw converters.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If this happen to a bayer sensor, obviously the problem is with the RAW converter.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

whatever7 posted:

If this happen to a bayer sensor, obviously the problem is with the RAW converter.

what would you suggest? This happens in both photoshop CC and lightroom 5.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nondescript Van posted:

what would you suggest? This happens in both photoshop CC and lightroom 5.
That's no surprise since it's the same raw developer. Use the fuji stuff?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Apparently people started receiving their XT1's in Europe and America. I want mine so bad but no word yet in Canada. :negative:

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

That's no surprise since it's the same raw developer. Use the fuji stuff?

I'll try that next. I don't have a cd drive in my computer so i'll have to figure out some way to do it. Looking on dpreview.com's test image with the camera comparison, you can see it does the same thing for them with raw. The 6 colored circles towards the bottom has really pronounced pixilation. Kinda sucks since I really prefer photoshop but I don't expect this to ever be fixed. I may just return the camera and get an xtrans sensor one since that seems to be working fine depending on how fuji's software bundle does.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Camera Canada just emailed me saying I should expect shipment on the X-T1 in early march :getin:

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Camera Canada just emailed me saying I should expect shipment on the X-T1 in early march :getin:

When I went to Leos yesterday they said "next week most likely." Here's hoping!

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Have you Canadian guys experienced any back order of Fuji lens right now? I have a 14mm thats been back ordered for more than 10 days. I am thinking just cancel the order and order it locally from Adorama.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 21, 2014

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Geektox posted:

When I went to Leos yesterday they said "next week most likely." Here's hoping!

Leo's in Vancouver?

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Oh god, the X-T1 circle jerk is going to be insufferable for the next few weeks of this thread.

Zeiss delivered on the repair. 35mm Biogon is back in action, though I gotta say that after a couple months of using a CV 35mm Ultron, it's one hell of a lens for the price. To my lovely eyes, it's about as good as a Summicron and has the added bonus of no focus shift. Makes me wanna check out a 28mm Ultron.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

keyframe posted:

Leo's in Vancouver?

Did any of the staff tell you the tale yet? Of how he promised a customer that some retarded outlandish accidental damage would be a warranty repair, Nikon rightfully told him to eat chain, so he decided to stop carrying Nikon products forever because he's a huge babby?

Their late-night commercials own though.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

Did any of the staff tell you the tale yet? Of how he promised a customer that some retarded outlandish accidental damage would be a warranty repair, Nikon rightfully told him to eat chain, so he decided to stop carrying Nikon products forever because he's a huge babby?

Nothing beats late night local commercials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a_FZJvDJLU

just make this the new best thread, tia

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

keyframe posted:

Leo's in Vancouver?

Yep!

SoundMonkey posted:

No but I was told basically the same story when I asked about Cactus and Yongnuo flash triggers. :v:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Yea I called them this morning and they didn't know. I am going to stop by tomorrow and try to get a date out of them.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Geektox posted:

No but I was told basically the same story when I asked about Cactus and Yongnuo flash triggers. :v:

The takeaway from this is that the guy who runs the store is a tremendous baby and you should probably shop elsewhere, such as the Kerrisdale Camera (the one that's actually in Kerrisdale), where you can find absolutely nothing you need until you ask some old man and he pulls the exact item from a shelf you were standing right beside.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

SoundMonkey posted:

The takeaway from this is that the guy who runs the store is a tremendous baby and you should probably shop elsewhere, such as the Kerrisdale Camera (the one that's actually in Kerrisdale), where you can find absolutely nothing you need until you ask some old man and he pulls the exact item from a shelf you were standing right beside.

I never noticed that they didn't have Nikon stuff (I'm never shopping for it), that's hilarious.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

krooj posted:

Oh god, the X-T1 circle jerk is going to be insufferable for the next few weeks of this thread.

I too don't want people talking about their new camera :qq:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

IanTheM posted:

I never noticed that they didn't have Nikon stuff (I'm never shopping for it), that's hilarious.

They do actually have a relatively decent selection of *used* Nikon stuff, but I suspect that's because it's the staff and not the crusty old man who deals with the used inventory.

keyframe posted:

Same.

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

keyframe posted:

The Mirrorless Thread: Discussing anything but the EOS M or Nikon J1 is bannable

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

A COMPUTER GUY posted:

The Mirrorless Thread: Discussing anything but the EOS M or Nikon J1 is bannable

Where is the thread for the Kodak S-1

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

RustedChrome posted:

Where is the thread for the Kodak S-1

Whoa, what the gently caress? How did I not know that the people who licensed the Kodak name are coming out with a m4/3s body?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

grack posted:

Whoa, what the gently caress? How did I not know that the people who licensed the Kodak name are coming out with a m4/3s body?

Because, like any other rational consumer of digital cameras, you just see 'Kodak' and immediately tune out?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

SoundMonkey posted:

Because, like any other rational consumer of digital cameras, you just see 'Kodak' and immediately tune out?

and that's why noone buys film

:rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Any Aussies in here ever used https://www.d-d-photographics.com.au They have the X-T1 body only for $1489 with free shipping. They are grey market but ship from within Australia, so you don't have to worry about customs fees, etc. I am really tempted at that price but I have never used them before.

That's $7 cheaper than B&H with the cheapest shipping method (using xe.com's current exchange rate), not accounting for GST/customs if it gets stopped on the way through.

Edit: Okay I got all giddy and preordered. The guy called me about 5 minutes later to confirm some details and he sounded legit, so we'll see how that goes!

Digital Jesus fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 25, 2014