Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Duodecimal posted:

I resubbed and had to redraw my face. I have 1.6 million unallocated skill points out of almost 21 million, but think I'll make a new character just to figure out things from scratch.

The intro movie that played showed ground combat. No mention of that in the thread, is that a thing now?

Hangar has a Drake, crow, kitsune, 39 boxed griffins, and a handful of other ships in my hanger and a crapload of t1 gear.

Open my mailbox and see letters from NPCs telling me they moved to some other moon, which I guess I should care about. Then some killmails, last one from a battle on 13 May 2006 in ZXIC-7 when I was with the ISS Navy, in a blackbird, a couple months before they folded. Apparently I resubbed in 2008 and joined another corp but I have absolutely no memory of doing that. Back in an NPC corp now, though.

Oh, and we can ... move around now? That's not really a walk -- a sort of a slow mince, over into a lounge area.

Ground combat is a separate game, Dust 514. It's a playstation exclusive currently. Don't make a new character, 21 million skillpoints is over a year of skill training and you can relearn just fine with an existing character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Huge_Midget posted:

Could a possible solution to the "uncatchable" interceptors be to make hictor bubbles a special kind of bubble that makes all interdiction nullified ships unable to warp like other normal ships while in the hictor bubble? It would make gate camps more viable again and they would still be able to go through anchored bubbles. But this special hictor bubble would make things a little more interesting.

This is what I was thinking. Some kind of script that changed the nature of the bubble to one that hits interdiction nullified ships, at maybe a cost to bubble size? I honestly know nothing about hictors other than they produce bigger bubbles but have to remain stationary.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Duodecimal posted:

I resubbed and had to redraw my face. I have 1.6 million unallocated skill points out of almost 21 million, but think I'll make a new character just to figure out things from scratch.

The intro movie that played showed ground combat. No mention of that in the thread, is that a thing now?

Hangar has a Drake, crow, kitsune, 39 boxed griffins, and a handful of other ships in my hanger and a crapload of t1 gear.

Open my mailbox and see letters from NPCs telling me they moved to some other moon, which I guess I should care about. Then some killmails, last one from a battle on 13 May 2006 in ZXIC-7 when I was with the ISS Navy, in a blackbird, a couple months before they folded. Apparently I resubbed in 2008 and joined another corp but I have absolutely no memory of doing that. Back in an NPC corp now, though.

Oh, and we can ... move around now? That's not really a walk -- a sort of a slow mince, over into a lounge area.

Ground combat is DUST 514, CCP's attempt at a PS3 FPS game that has been very lackluster.

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
My legion is close to uncatchable. It is nullified, warp stabbed, and covertcloak with agility rigs. To catch it requires some luck with some really skilled gate campers.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
This is from a couple of pages back, but for the new account bonuses with the Cerebral Accelerators, how do you plan for that in like EVEmon?

EVEmon only allows you to have implants up to +5 and if you effectively have +17 that changes quite a few things. And to even get the +17 does that have to be a brand new account with no referral or do buddy invites get the +17 as well?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

OGS-Remix posted:

This is from a couple of pages back, but for the new account bonuses with the Cerebral Accelerators, how do you plan for that in like EVEmon?

EVEmon only allows you to have implants up to +5 and if you effectively have +17 that changes quite a few things. And to even get the +17 does that have to be a brand new account with no referral or do buddy invites get the +17 as well?

You can buy the +17 and the +9 off contracts, it works on any new character regardless of how it was made.

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!

Warmachine posted:

This is what I was thinking. Some kind of script that changed the nature of the bubble to one that hits interdiction nullified ships, at maybe a cost to bubble size? I honestly know nothing about hictors other than they produce bigger bubbles but have to remain stationary.

Hictors are terrible for a number of reasons. First, they're expensive. This wouldn't by itself be a huge problem, except that as soon as you turn on your bubble (you know, the thing your ship is designed around) you basically go dead in the water and you can no longer receive remote reps/cap. As a result pressing that button in a large fight is guaranteeing yourself a quick and costly death. Then there's the fact that for literally every purpose except pointing a supercapital (because that happens sooooo often) a dictor is better. Hictors with T2 bubbles and HIC 5 have truly staggering bubble sizes, but for a gate camp a dictor has more survivability and maneuverability, and thanks to CCP's reworking of aggression mechanics is vastly superior for station/gate games (I can't remember if dictors can jump after bubbling, but I think they can. I know they can dock. Please correct me on this if I'm wrong.) About the only thing hictors are undisputably better for is lowsec gatecamps because of the infinite point and the prevailing tactic of fitting warp stabilizers on FW frigates. The Gallente hictor also has a horrendous powergrid, and the rest are really hard to fit decently even with all 5s in the fitting skills.

Hictors really need some love. Being the anti-interceptor tool would be a pretty good upgrade for them.

Mutamu
Aug 10, 2011

He's Doctor, (pause), Doctor Shark!

Warmachine posted:

I honestly know nothing about hictors other than they produce bigger bubbles but have to remain stationary.

And you don't even know that! :yayclod:

(They are not made immobile)

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones

Ashcans posted:

More serious than my previous answer; Geddons don't have any bonus to lasers, so there is no reason to fit them. Mine is fitted with 5 Cruise launchers and 2 heavy neuts. The neuts aren't for rats, they're for gankers. The Geddon gives them a 30km range, which lets you land them on on most things that are pointing you except (I think) a Keres.

Yes, there are better ships to use but I already had the skills to fly a Geddon with comparable ticks to a VNI and much better defense. I didn't want to sideline my training logi and fun ships for the sake of improving my ratting income. I wouldn't tell anyone to aim for a Geddon for ratting, but if you already have Amarr BS and drone/missile skills, its fine.

Edit: Haha, Glory beat me to basically everything in this post.

I'm very happy to read this and similar posts. My skill training is tied up entirely in Amarr stuff, branching into missiles and drones since those are the secondary weapons on Amarr ships, and while I had no idea that the Geddon was transformed into a drone platform hearing that solves some of the fretting I was having about ratting for income. For the same reasons as above, Logi V is in the queue and I wasn't looking forward to delaying it further.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Fix Lag posted:

Hictors are terrible for a number of reasons. First, they're expensive. This wouldn't by itself be a huge problem, except that as soon as you turn on your bubble (you know, the thing your ship is designed around) you basically go dead in the water and you can no longer receive remote reps/cap. As a result pressing that button in a large fight is guaranteeing yourself a quick and costly death. Then there's the fact that for literally every purpose except pointing a supercapital (because that happens sooooo often) a dictor is better. Hictors with T2 bubbles and HIC 5 have truly staggering bubble sizes, but for a gate camp a dictor has more survivability and maneuverability, and thanks to CCP's reworking of aggression mechanics is vastly superior for station/gate games (I can't remember if dictors can jump after bubbling, but I think they can. I know they can dock. Please correct me on this if I'm wrong.) About the only thing hictors are undisputably better for is lowsec gatecamps because of the infinite point and the prevailing tactic of fitting warp stabilizers on FW frigates. The Gallente hictor also has a horrendous powergrid, and the rest are really hard to fit decently even with all 5s in the fitting skills.

Hictors really need some love. Being the anti-interceptor tool would be a pretty good upgrade for them.

Mutamu posted:

And you don't even know that! :yayclod:

(They are not made immobile)

That's all awful. No wonder I know nothing about them. :smith:
Hictors need straight up gigantic gently caress nullification bubbles.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

FoF posted:

It was never about the volley. It was always about the triggers being damped down to nothing. Any veteran that remembers multispecs pre 07 it's basically the same problem. This means basically we are back to whoever brings more players win with no amount of skill/isk being a solution to FYF.

E: and before you scream good why should more players win? What should be the threshold? Should I with billions of isk, 150m sp, and years of experience always lose a 2v1 to less sp/isk/experienced players? 3v1? 5v1?

What stops the groups that are outnumbered from recruiting? There are tens of thousands of high sec dwellers (online during any given hour) and lots of them want in on null sec, based on how many of them get scammed by Goonfleet.

The primary failing of the "I want to spend isk/sp to beat numbers" crowd is that they want to control vast swathes of space with a small number of players. PL controls 375 systems with 2200 players (and 6250 renters), or 6 owners/system. By comparison, the CFC has 32500 players (and 3700 renters) and 760 systems, or 43 owners/system. NC/NA is 2350 owners (and 4100 renters) of 253 systems (9 owners/system). I'm not going to fuss with all the trash corps in the south east. If the CFC kicked PL and NC. out of their respective spaces there would still be more people with a stake in each system afterward then there is now. If you want to hold a lot of space, have a big fleet. If you just want fights, you can always drop sov.

Edit: I should add that I'm not saying that managing more players is easy. It is quite the opposite and I think everyone agrees on this, even Grath has said that managing large fleets is a pain in the rear end he doesn't want, to say nothing of a coalition of larger size. So when someone says they want to win with isk/sp, they are also saying there should be no rewards for managing a coalition above X size.

MickeyFinn fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 20, 2014

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

MickeyFinn posted:

What stops the groups that are outnumbered from recruiting? There are tens of thousands of high sec dwellers (online during any given hour) and lots of them want in on null sec, based on how many of them get scammed by Goonfleet.

Their problem is that they don't want newbies or want to have to train folks to play the game -- our enemies typically want pre-established pilots who already own capital / supercapital ships. Naturally, there are fewer of those people around than there are bald-faced newbies with barely a celestis to their name.

Logarth
Oct 2, 2003
I got back into Waffe after a few days or trying, pod jumped to 1V after a day or so on reorganizing inventory and getting my ducks in a row, noobed it up, trying to rmember how to even do stuff in the game outside of a station, finally figured out how to get back into GS_Frigates and grabbed a freebie tackling frigate, undocked and almost bumped a bridge, jumped into 0-W while trying to remember how to reload my guns and link them and when I GOT to the battle, oh god my overview and once that was fixed... I proceeded to get friendly-fire killed by a bomb.

:dance:

I missed this.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sounds like you are having fun.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Skuto posted:

Similarly, after having made good use of it yesterday I'm convinced interceptor agility needs more nerfs. It's still perfectly possible to travel 100% safe at ludicrous speed through hostile space and retain some combat capability. This isn't balanced either. It's frigging safer to scout with this than with a covops now.

Covops should have bubble immunity. Interceptors should not. That is more aligned to what those ships are supposed to be used for.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Glory of Arioch posted:

Their problem is that they don't want newbies or want to have to train folks to play the game -- our enemies typically want pre-established pilots who already own capital / supercapital ships. Naturally, there are fewer of those people around than there are bald-faced newbies with barely a celestis to their name.

Meanwhile, we take newbies, show them the ropes, hand them free AK-47s and suicide vests and point them at the bad people. It's the same elitist mentality that suffocated BoB and company. Considering how much ISK we shower newbies with and how low cost tackle frigates and celestis are, I can't imagine it takes a whole heck of a lot to run our newbie programs.

And, given the amount of grr goons that exists, I'd imagine it pretty easy to just open recruitment into S2N Reservists and use them to fill support fleets for the now-nonexistent N3 superblob.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Amberskin posted:

Covops should have bubble immunity. Interceptors should not. That is more aligned to what those ships are supposed to be used for.

Ahahaha, no. Good god no. That would be even worse than interceptors.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Amberskin posted:

Covops can fit a covops cloak so I'm not sure where you're headed with this.

polmbo
Jun 16, 2006
I just started EVE and was reading a post on CFC vs N3 and saw a post about Goons rule and figured it had to be Something Awful crew. I've played with Goons in a few other games and have always had fun. I know I'm a lurker and should post more often but do I really have to be "active" for 3 months to join the fleet? I just want to blow some poo poo up with some fellow goons.

Up there the world is divided into bastards and suckers. Make your choice.

— Derek Robinson, Piece of Cake, 1983

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

polmbo posted:

I just started EVE and was reading a post on CFC vs N3 and saw a post about Goons rule and figured it had to be Something Awful crew. I've played with Goons in a few other games and have always had fun. I know I'm a lurker and should post more often but do I really have to be "active" for 3 months to join the fleet? I just want to blow some poo poo up with some fellow goons.

If you want to join the space important guild Goonwaffe, then those things matter.

If you want to just shoot poo poo without consequence or basic requirements; join Groon. The OP is pretty clear about this.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Ice Fist posted:

Yeah, Covops avoiding gatecamps is already a game of skill against skill. That's fine.

The idea that hictor bubbles should catch interceptors is awesome. Are our CSM guys listening? :P

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

polmbo posted:

Nine posts since 2006, none of which show up in a post history. If you're dead set on playing with goons, listen to darth cookie. Look into Groon.

And don't sign your posts, for fucks sake. For a lurker, you don't pick up on things well.

Skuto posted:

Yeah, Covops avoiding gatecamps is already a game of skill against skill. That's fine.

The idea that hictor bubbles should catch interceptors is awesome. Are our CSM guys listening? :P

Interceptors AND Nullified T3s. All or nothing here.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Warmachine posted:

Nine posts since 2006, none of which show up in a post history. If you're dead set on playing with goons, listen to darth cookie. Look into Groon.

And don't sign your posts, for fucks sake. For a lurker, you don't pick up on things well.

Interceptors AND Nullified T3s. All or nothing here.

Sure, if they remove the skillpoint loss on t3's.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Or just give hictor bubbles the unique additional effect of -15% agility.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Ice Fist posted:

Covops should be ships of choice for scouts, so the freedom of movement that bubble immunity gives makes sense. Inties are combat ships, and making them so diffiicult to catch is OP.

That said, I enjoy flying those little bastards around, as they are probably the funniest ship to roam in.

Amberskin fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 20, 2014

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Skuto posted:

That would be a nice improvement over the current situation, yes. And it would have a sweet point of irony (hictors needed to catch both the faster and the slower ships in the game).

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Amberskin posted:

Covops should be ships of choice for scouts, so the freedom of movement that bubble immunity gives makes sense. Inties are combat ships, and making them so diffiicult to catch is OP.

That said, I enjoy flying those little bastards around, as they are probably the funniest ship to roam around.

A properly piloted covops is already extremely difficult to catch, giving them bubble immunity would just make them invincible. Giving any T2 frigate bubble immunity does not make sense.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The nerf Interceptors need would be in damage if anything. Let them be the fastest, but need help (or a swarm) to deal damage.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Trabisnikof posted:

The nerf Interceptors need would be in damage if anything. Let them be the fastest, but need help (or a swarm) to deal damage.

I'm not sure why a 70 dps interceptor would need its damage nerfed. They already need to be in a swarm or a gang to kill anything that isn't a poo poo fit ratting ishtar.

The issue from the beginning has been bubble immunity, there's no real justification for giving it to interceptors other than to be a bullet point on the rubicon feature list and because Fozzie thought it was cool.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Interceptors should be required at the very least to fit a module in order to get nullification, much the same way a T3 requires a sub system that nerfs their slots and agility.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Spiteski posted:

Not rats themselves but each site gives 40people 31m each roughly every 25minutes. That's per fleet, and only one type. I'm not sure what assaults and vanguards give.
Edit: just a quick math job on one fleet running 24hours a day, for one month is close to 1.8trillion.

Haha you wish 25 minutes. Try more like 12-15. I've been doing incursions with Warp to Me, who allows things like CNRs, and I usually clear more than 4 sites per hour on average. I would bet that ISN (incursion shiny network) does upwards of 6 an hour when they get their fleet comp right.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Trabisnikof posted:

This works about as well as balancing supercaps through cost works.

If you nerf interceptor damage by another 20%, just bring 20% more people or chicken out of 20% more engagements. You have full control, after all.

It doesn't fix the broken mechanic at the root at all.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
DPS isn't even the issue with interceptors. The only ones capable of doing over 150 dps are the crusader, taranis and claw, all of which need to be within scram/web range to apply that damage.

Maledictions and crows dominate because they have ridiculous range with light missiles.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

moolchaba posted:

This isn't a horrible idea, though it would have to not stack, and perhaps be an entirely different bubble, rather than something on top of a distruption bubble. If there was a good way to make a hictors more relevant, giving them a moderate aoe debuff might be the one.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

moolchaba posted:

Interceptors should be required at the very least to fit a module in order to get nullification, much the same way a T3 requires a sub system that nerfs their slots and agility.

This feels like the most reasonable solution to me. It offers the players choice, while granting CCP the design space to balance around both ship fits.

High House Death
Jun 18, 2011

Vatek posted:

DPS isn't even the issue with interceptors. The only ones capable of doing over 150 dps are the crusader, taranis and claw, all of which need to be within scram/web range to apply that damage.

Maledictions and crows dominate because they have ridiculous range with light missiles.

Is CrowFleet still a thing? I took a break of about 3 months before resubbing back at the beginning of January, and I remember gangs of Crows just running around and murdering everything.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

Haha you wish 25 minutes. Try more like 12-15. I've been doing incursions with Warp to Me, who allows things like CNRs, and I usually clear more than 4 sites per hour on average. I would bet that ISN (incursion shiny network) does upwards of 6 an hour when they get their fleet comp right.

I was basing it off the worst case of a poo poo ton of TPPHs, I've seen fleets get to 200/250 an hour doing, as you say, 5-6 per hour. I think it'd be fair to put a middle ground of 15ish minutes per site.
Like I said though, I wasn't basing this off hard data, just getting an idea of what TVP alone (the only 23/7 fleet I know of, the rest are give and take) injects in a month.
Should also be noted when they cash in LP they sink some isk too though.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

moolchaba posted:

An agility penalty would be kinda weird and makes me very suspicious of it having a lot of potentially OP uses more than just being a interceptor counter.

My dream change would be to alter all nullified ships so that you have to hit a higher speed to warp out of a bubble instead of 75%. Going from the formula on aligning from the eve wiki, 90% seems like a good number. It would make everything take a bit longer to warp when bubbled, and pretty much kill the 2s warp interceptor in nullsec. But outside a bubble the inty would be just as fast & maneuverable as ever.
code:
        Ares     2i Mal   3i Mal   Loki
50%     1.31     1.14     1.01     3.45
75%     2.61     2.29     2.02     6.90
90%     4.34     3.80     3.36     11.46
95%     5.65     4.94     4.38     14.91
x% is % of max speed, numbers are seconds. The ares is a basic tackle fit with 1 nano, the Mals are maledictions with 2 & 3 istabs, the loki is a covert fit with 1 nano & a poly rig. Uboat T3s could still use the mwd trick to warp in 10 seconds.

The trouble with this idea is it's a code change, not just twiddling the stat numbers in the database.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

moolchaba posted:

This is the best idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Why would nullification be better as a module? Couldn't they just remove a low slot or adjust the fitting of the ship to lower the potential options for fitting a nullified ship? More to the point, who in their right mind would choose NOT to fit the nullifier?

e:

Klyith posted:

My dream change would be to alter all nullified ships so that you have to hit a higher speed to warp out of a bubble instead of 75%. Going from the formula on aligning from the eve wiki, 90% seems like a good number. It would make everything take a bit longer to warp when bubbled, and pretty much kill the 2s warp interceptor in nullsec. But outside a bubble the inty would be just as fast & maneuverable as ever.
code:
        Ares     2i Mal   3i Mal   Loki
50%     1.31     1.14     1.01     3.45
75%     2.61     2.29     2.02     6.90
90%     4.34     3.80     3.36     11.46
95%     5.65     4.94     4.38     14.91
x% is % of max speed, numbers are seconds. The ares is a basic tackle fit with 1 nano, the Mals are maledictions with 2 & 3 istabs, the loki is a covert fit with 1 nano & a poly rig. Uboat T3s could still use the mwd trick to warp in 10 seconds.

This is a pretty cool idea.

• Locked thread