Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, this is ridiculous. Is there even a way now to manage all the features of a free ESXi install?

Yeah like cheese cube said, you can't do all the 5.5 features in the thick client, new features for 5.5 are web client only. Now potentially you could do things via cli and edit the /vmfts/<datastore>/%VM%/$machine$.vmx but it could turn out to be a pain.

Misogynist posted:

So am I misunderstanding, or does installing vCenter in a greenfield deployment now literally involve creating a version 9 VM and then upgrading it later?

Thick client makes it VM HW version 9, the problem comes in when people right click on the VM and then "update" it goes right to 10, not 9 but 10. Using the compatibility option you can set the default to something like HW9, which is fully managable in the thick client

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DevNull posted:

It isn't VMware trying to pull poo poo. It is the product management of the hosted products trying to catch the ball that the vSphere webUI guys dropped. Every few years some high up leadership will start talking about killing off WS/Fusion. The head PM of WS/Fusion has to convince them that they sell a lot of products and are still useful. Being able to drive ESX would be a usefulness that helps keep the products around. It will never be a full replacement for the webUI, but there is a lot more they could add to make it better. You can't even browse the datastore and add VMs right now.
poo poo like that is really symptomatic of a complete lack of vision *and* execution. First you do no harm, then you fix what's broken or unsatisfying.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Misogynist posted:

I once literally made a cold caller cry so
Gather round nerdlings 'tis story time!

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

evil_bunnY posted:

poo poo like that is really symptomatic of a complete lack of vision *and* execution. First you do no harm, then you fix what's broken or unsatisfying.

That is oversimplifying it quite a bit. The hosted products are not even a blip on the radar of the vSphere product. The hosted guys have to carve out their own vision, and try to make it fit into the vSphere product line. The vSphere guys don't have an incentive do make a hosted product. If the hosted products were killed off, the company would do just fine. The same can't be said for vSphere.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I meant the vSphere management software debacles.

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Yeah like cheese cube said, you can't do all the 5.5 features in the thick client, new features for 5.5 are web client only. Now potentially you could do things via cli and edit the /vmfts/<datastore>/%VM%/$machine$.vmx but it could turn out to be a pain.
Great advertising from their "first hit is free" product.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 18, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm actually kind of surprised nobody has reverse engineered some kind of vSphere replacement. I know that it's not simple or anything, but I half expected someone to figure it out just to get out of paying thousands of bucks.

Mausi
Apr 11, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I'm actually kind of surprised nobody has reverse engineered some kind of vSphere replacement.
Isn't that exactly what OpenStack etc. is? VMware might've been the first to bring a commercial hypervisor to the x86 market, but ever since the open source community has being doing it's darndest to produce an equivalent - that's why most of the management suites bend over backwards to be able to handle Hyper-V/vSphere/Xen etc. environments.

The essential problem is that VMware has the most reliable and broadly realised vision within their product suite, and while I might heartily bitch about bits of it, they know that there's literally no other product I can go to in this space, including back to physicals.
It is an inconvenient truth that the money I would save in licensing by moving my non-critical VMs to opensource is vastly outweighed by the cost of developing and maintaining that environment when my company is not directly invested in the success of the Product.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
There are customers (of VMware) that created their own equivalent of Auto Deploy, and even vCenter Server (well, without some things like vMotion) thanks mostly to the APIs, but it feels like they are so deep doing their own thing, they practically can't come back to where it's sane (and supportable) again.
After something breaks, they occasionally come back to bitch and moan about supportability issues and the support organization not understanding their setup. It makes you laugh (and die a little more on the inside).
There's no way names will be named, but certain financial institutions seem to love doing that poo poo.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Mausi posted:

Isn't that exactly what OpenStack etc. is?
Not really, no. Beyond OpenStack not being a replacement for traditional virtualization workloads or a VMware competitor/replacement at all (a conversation which has been done to death in this thread),

Mausi posted:

VMware might've been the first to bring a commercial hypervisor to the x86 market, but ever since the open source community has being doing it's darndest to produce an equivalent - that's why most of the management suites bend over backwards to be able to handle Hyper-V/vSphere/Xen etc. environments.
The open source community isn't trying to produce an equivalent at all. VMware took the market because binary translation was goddamn amazing and nobody had ever seen anything like it, so they got an early lead and continued to improve. If VMware joined the arena when hardware virt extensions were added (which is arguably due to VMware, but I don't know enough about the internal processes at Intel and AMD), they very likely wouldn't be so dominant. But they didn't, because binary translation ruled. The only projects which even make an attempt at binary translation are Type 2 (VirtualBox sort of does it, VirtualPC did in PPC Mac days).

Xen does paravirt, which basically says "we're not gonna do binary translation, but if you ship a modified kernel that already knows how to send ring0 calls a particular way, we'll handle it on non-VT hardware".

Mausi posted:

The essential problem is that VMware has the most reliable and broadly realised vision within their product suite, and while I might heartily bitch about bits of it, they know that there's literally no other product I can go to in this space, including back to physicals.
Reliability is a different argument entirely, but nobody's going to say they don't have the broadest product suite.

Mausi posted:

It is an inconvenient truth that the money I would save in licensing by moving my non-critical VMs to opensource is vastly outweighed by the cost of developing and maintaining that environment when my company is not directly invested in the success of the Product.
This has nothing to do with VMware one way or another, and it's likely that you wouldn't save on licensing at all. VMware has the same Microsoft argument -- there's enough people that know VMware and it's homogeneous enough that you can grab random VMware people off the street, and you don't need to pay extra to acquire people who have harder-to-find skillsets, so long as you use their product. And it works.

100% of your post is due to VMware beating everyone else to market; they beat KVM by 5-8 years, depending on what product segment you were (ESX wasn't all that big at the time, but Workstation and GSX were both very popular). Xen by three years (first release of Xen was in 2003, but it was a big ugly patchset with a number of problems), Hyper-V by 6 years. There wasn't a product around KVM until VMware had been a player for 8 years. They have a huge head start, and they're not losing it, but it's just because their product suite is so awesome that everyone else is trying to replace it -- they entered the virtualization market so much earlier than everyone else that they define it, hence your argument.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
If anyone ever has an error upgrading or re-installing the Webclient on a a windows host 5.x; just install/reinstall VUM; this fixes the Error 25005: unable to generate SSL certificates.

There doesn't appear to be a KB article on it but it looks like VUM (re)install fixes a few issues with the keys.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The VCDX list has been updated, lots of new names. Give your friend Hersey a high-five, Dilbert.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The VCDX list has been updated, lots of new names. Give your friend Hersey a high-five, Dilbert.

Yeah definitely gave him some congrats tonight; had to fix some storage and host stuff.

1.2TB of Flash storage :w00t:

Might be getting a job with him soon so that might be cool.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
This might be better suited to the hardware short questions thread, but it specifically pertains to VMware.

If an Intel 4-port NIC is on the approved compatibility list, specifically the EXPI9404PT, can I assume the single-port model in the same line, EXPI9400PT, would also work? I figure there's a good chance I'll need a separate NIC as I don't see any realtek parts listed on the VMware list and that is what is on my motherboard.

Would hardware compatibility for most namebrand (Intel/IBM/HP/etc) NICs even be an issue for a home lab style test machine? I guess I don't know how much support there is for various pieces of hardware.

SopWATh fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 20, 2014

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Has anyone ever seen something like this?

I can't figure out where this ghost adapter is; bugging me. It actually is attempting to pas traffic to the other VSS which isn't on the host.

I'm confused.

All the other VCAP courses copied fine; no ghosted adapters it's just this one...

Oh derp I think there's a .lck file with the ghosted adapter; I think during provision of it some of the latency did not properly close the lock file.

Fixed.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 20, 2014

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Is there a hardware setup/automation thread anywhere for setting up chassis and blades? I've been trying to find information on automating(through anything besides what they sell) a deployment for an HP C7000 Chassis with 16 blades. I'd like to run it from nothing all the way up to having the OS installed and ready for my OS scripts to run.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Virigoth posted:

Is there a hardware setup/automation thread anywhere for setting up chassis and blades? I've been trying to find information on automating(through anything besides what they sell) a deployment for an HP C7000 Chassis with 16 blades. I'd like to run it from nothing all the way up to having the OS installed and ready for my OS scripts to run.

The only cool automation stuff with blades I'm familiar with is UCS.

Depending how you have your environment built using things like autodeploy and scripting in VMware you can abstract a bunch of it.

SopWATh posted:

This might be better suited to the hardware short questions thread, but it specifically pertains to VMware.

If an Intel 4-port NIC is on the approved compatibility list, specifically the EXPI9404PT, can I assume the single-port model in the same line, EXPI9400PT, would also work? I figure there's a good chance I'll need a separate NIC as I don't see any realtek parts listed on the VMware list and that is what is on my motherboard.

Would hardware compatibility for most namebrand (Intel/IBM/HP/etc) NICs even be an issue for a home lab style test machine? I guess I don't know how much support there is for various pieces of hardware.

Probably will be fine if the 4PT adapter is on there.

For labs stick with Intel or HP; broadcom is eh.... Most modern intel gig nics work fine.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Virigoth posted:

I do this by pulling MACs of the individual blades on the chassis and put them into DHCP, then once I turn them on I just hop on the console to PXE boot them into an ESXi kick. You can feed ESXi a ks.cfg-esque configuration so it'll boot and configure itself on its own, then all you have to do is add the host into vcenter and apply a host profile. Repeat 15 times.

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

The only cool automation stuff with blades I'm familiar with is UCS.

HP OneView can do this as well - we're thinking about getting it, because we hated UCS and have a massive HP footprint already.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Virigoth posted:

You can do pretty much anything. HP publishes a scripting guide for ILOs (I'm assuming you're an HP shop), and the OA (Onboard Administrator) on the Bladecenters is extremely scriptable.

You'll have to do it over SSH. Net::Perl, pexpect, paramiko, whatever. But you can grab the MACs from each slot, tell it where to boot from (PXE, please), kickstart that install, and provision it with chef/puppet/salt/whatever when it comes up. 100% hands off. Just a matter of how much time you want to invest in a vendor-specific solution that's not as easy as the UCSes and knowing that HP might make you use XML and hponcfg for it all eventually.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

evol262 posted:

You can do pretty much anything. HP publishes a scripting guide for ILOs (I'm assuming you're an HP shop), and the OA (Onboard Administrator) on the Bladecenters is extremely scriptable.

You'll have to do it over SSH. Net::Perl, pexpect, paramiko, whatever. But you can grab the MACs from each slot, tell it where to boot from (PXE, please), kickstart that install, and provision it with chef/puppet/salt/whatever when it comes up. 100% hands off. Just a matter of how much time you want to invest in a vendor-specific solution that's not as easy as the UCSes and knowing that HP might make you use XML and hponcfg for it all eventually.

It's a HP/Hyper-V shop. We've just been pulled over from testing to help bail them out. I've literally spent 4 days max on this project, but scripting the OA and ILO looked like the best bet, but I don't have enough time to sit down and learn it all. I was hoping I could do it from Powershell or some sort of SSH magic without adding anything else in.

The XML I looked at didn't look like it could handle creating arrays, logical drives, attaching the ISO and then booting into an install that could take it up to "login screen" on the blade. Basically they just want the pain of the OS install to go away. Everything they've had me setup so far has been an ISO install over iLO. I've already powershell scripted all the nic renaming, teaming, etc for the OS.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Virigoth posted:

It's a HP/Hyper-V shop. We've just been pulled over from testing to help bail them out. I've literally spent 4 days max on this project, but scripting the OA and ILO looked like the best bet, but I don't have enough time to sit down and learn it all. I was hoping I could do it from Powershell or some sort of SSH magic without adding anything else in.

With the C7000s, you can log in via SSH and run "show config" to get a 100% scriptable config that you can then modify and duplicate to another chassis. It includes everything, even non-configured garbage like EPIBA, so it's probably best to sanity check it before copying over all that extra bloat.

What do you need to configure on the iLOs on the blades themselves? I don't think we modify anything other than the login credentials on a fresh blade, so I'm just curious.

Edit: I just remembered, G7 blades and newer have a feature called intelligent provisioning that you can use to automate a lot of this. I've rarely used it - mostly just for SmartStart-esque diagnostics - but I believe it can do the kind of thing you're talking about where you can feed it an OS configuration and a link to the media and it can set up a customized blade for you. It might be worth looking into for your purposes.

Cidrick fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 20, 2014

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Cidrick posted:

With the C7000s, you can log in via SSH and run "show config" to get a 100% scriptable config that you can then modify and duplicate to another chassis. It includes everything, even non-configured garbage like EPIBA, so it's probably best to sanity check it before copying over all that extra bloat.

What do you need to configure on the iLOs on the blades themselves? I don't think we modify anything other than the login credentials on a fresh blade, so I'm just curious.

There also appears to be some kind of cmdlet support that I've never seen or used, but it exists, and may be useful.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

evol262 posted:

There also appears to be some kind of cmdlet support that I've never seen or used, but it exists, and may be useful.

That's pretty shiny. I know in the past we've used hponcfg on the RedHat side to do things like change admin passwords, add ssh keys, or reset network configurations for iLO while the machine was live. Of course, if you can't get to iLO in the first place to put an OS on the blade, then that's not terribly helpful :)

Also, I seem to recall that you can at the very least set up user credentials on all the blades in a chassis from the OA, which could suffice in the short term. Let me go test that or see if I'm making stuff up.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Cidrick posted:

Edit: I just remembered, G7 blades and newer have a feature called intelligent provisioning that you can use to automate a lot of this. I've rarely used it - mostly just for SmartStart-esque diagnostics - but I believe it can do the kind of thing you're talking about where you can feed it an OS configuration and a link to the media and it can set up a customized blade for you. It might be worth looking into for your purposes.

So here is what I'm doing right now, and it is no wonder they all want to murder themselves:

Logging into OA(It has IPs setup for the blades)
Opening the console for the blade
Configuring array and logical drive
Mounting OS ISO
Booting to OS, formatting the drive, and then installing
Setting up the adapters to match the interconnects and teaming them (scripted)

That is what they've given me so far. There are more steps after the NIC teaming but I can powershell or WMI all of that I think. The main problem is that I can only use the iLO to access the blades right now, no networking it setup for some reason. It is slow as poo poo to do it this way. I've seen the Intelligent Provisioning stuff, but it isn't Windows 2012 R2 "ready" right now, and you can't use it.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Virigoth posted:

Configuring array and logical drive
This is probably out of the short-term question, but: who do you buy your blades from? A lot of vendors can configure this at the warehouse for you, so you don't have to do this on every single blade you get. All our blades are a simple RAID-1 setup so we get them from the factory in the right configuration right off the bat.

How are you configuring your array and LDs? Is it something you can modify after the OS has been put on?

Virigoth posted:

Mounting OS ISO
Booting to OS, formatting the drive, and then installing
Setting up the adapters to match the interconnects and teaming them (scripted)

All of these can be taken care of with a proper OS deployment product. If you have a Windows environment then I would really really urge you to look into Windows Deployment Services - it's free and built into Windows 2008 R2 Standard (I haven't played with 2012 yet but I can't imagine that they got rid of it). Assuming you can boot from network and have your DHCP daemon point its next-server to your WDS server, you can create an auto-answer file that will do all of this mess for you, including any post-build stuff like configuring NIC teaming or joining Active Directory for you.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
If you are also running SCVMM, this might be worth looking at:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg610577.aspx

Disclaimer: Our Hyper-V footprint is so small that while we do run SCVMM 2012 SP1 we haven't even thought about trying the bare metal deployment stuff in it. It is likely half-assed like about 50% of SCVMM seems to be...

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
So going to do a talk on View for a VMUG; any ideas on what high level poo poo to hit on? I was thinking optimizing for Storage because(aside from application visualization support) that usually seems where VDI either chokes.

Suggestions?

Mausi
Apr 11, 2006

I've just seen a client who are choking on CPU utilisation because they've decided their watermark is how many people they can get running their telepresence suite with webcams.

My question, what do you guys redirect to Syslog for forwarding out to central logging from your ESXi5.x hosts? I see that vpxa and hostd are included by default, I'm going to add fdm and vmkernel - would you add anything else?
Hosts are rackmounts running NFS/FC/10GbE

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Mausi posted:

I've just seen a client who are choking on CPU utilisation because they've decided their watermark is how many people they can get running their telepresence suite with webcams.

My question, what do you guys redirect to Syslog for forwarding out to central logging from your ESXi5.x hosts? I see that vpxa and hostd are included by default, I'm going to add fdm and vmkernel - would you add anything else?
Hosts are rackmounts running NFS/FC/10GbE

If ssh is enabled then maybe the auth log.

Mausi
Apr 11, 2006

1000101 posted:

If ssh is enabled then maybe the auth log.
We redirect the ssh console out via the iLO virtual serial port, so that's a drat good idea.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
So I'm having a problem with our vCenter server related to permissions.

I'm currently running two vCenter servers, one with the SSO/Web/Other vCenter services running, and the other with just the vCenter Inventory Service and vCenter server service running. It has registered itself to the other vCenter server that that it also shows up in the same Web session. Kind of a funky setup, but it's the only way I can get access to both environments from a single Web UI.

Both systems have the same permissions applied to them for obvious reasons.

There is an AD group with the Administrator role (Engineers), another group with the Power User (our Operations dept) role and another group with the User Role (people that I don't trust know how to do anything in VMware).

I've also put the vCenter servers themselves into folders, each with the No Access role assigned (on the folder itself) to everyone but the Engineers.

It worked for a while, but now I've come across an issue where NOBODY can adjust the networking on the vcenter servers.

The only way I can edit the current settings on the servers is to log into the local administrator@vsphere.local account and do it from there.

The permissions on the VM look like this

What the hell is preventing me from editing the network settings?

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!
Check the network folder for any permissions that may still be lingering about.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
^ that and

Wicaeed posted:

The permissions on the VM look like this

What the hell is preventing me from editing the network settings?

If you are using the VCSA reset the root PW; it causes headaches.

If windows; login as local admin to vCenter check permissions and see if you can change; if you can your vCenter is not getting proper replicated permissions.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Looks like it was actually being caused by a nested AD group actually.

Silly that SSO in 5.5 still can't handle those :rolleyes:

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Also I think vcenter started case matching group names. That could be something to check.

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011
Is anyone using Nutanix or Simplivity or any other other converged vendors for their vSphere infrastructure?

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

Bitch Stewie posted:

Is anyone using Nutanix or Simplivity or any other other converged vendors for their vSphere infrastructure?

Happy to answer any questions you might have regarding Nutanix. Full disclosure; I do work for them.

TwoDeer fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 23, 2014

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
It seems like the only actual people using Nutanix are all the VMware bloggers that Nutanix bought and put in their pocket.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
This is a pretty basic question, but I have a vm on a host with plenty of CPU available, 16 vCPU * 2GHz.

The vm is set to use one CPU and 95% of the time it uses almost nothing. The other 5% its going at 100%

Am I right in saying that with only one vCPU provisioned it'll max out at 2GHz even if there are plenty of resources available?

So, does this mean I need to provision a second vCPU or is there some other part of the story I'm missing?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

That's correct. 1 vCPU means you max at the core speed of the host. You can add a second vCPU to max at 4GHz, but the software you are running has to be multi-threaded. The VM OS will see two cores, not one superfast core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This is a pretty basic question, but I have a vm on a host with plenty of CPU available, 16 vCPU * 2GHz.

The vm is set to use one CPU and 95% of the time it uses almost nothing. The other 5% its going at 100%

Am I right in saying that with only one vCPU provisioned it'll max out at 2GHz even if there are plenty of resources available?

So, does this mean I need to provision a second vCPU or is there some other part of the story I'm missing?

Where are you getting that 100% number from? The guest OS? The guest OS usually can't tell what its actual CPU usage is and will often show 100% even when it's not consuming all of the CPU allocated to it.