Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

"maybe"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Jeza posted:

"maybe"

Right, the thing is, while my tie isn't patterned, it does have a design. It's a sort of ...I dunno, subtle-ish abstract thing?

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

From what I understand, the common cold is pretty much harmless, and most of our symptoms are from our own body overreacting. Does this mean someone who gets a lot of colds actually has a healthier immune system since they put up the biggest fight? I haven't gotten sick in like 5 years, even though I've been in environment where everyone around me has a cold -- does that mean I'm lucky? Healthy? Unhealthy?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Is there an A/T or BFC thread for accounting? Specifically small business accounting? I've looked but may be missing it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Gravity Pike posted:

I've seen this. On the other hand, all of my friends are atheists, and just get a buddy to go online to sign up as a minister with the Church of Life. Not one has had a "traditional" wedding. The last 3 weddings I've been to:

"So everybody, HisName and HerName!"
- Minister was a man with a pink mohawk, slacks and a vest, but no shirt

"Give a round of applause for HisName LastName and HisName LastName!"
- Gay marriage where one man took the other's last name. The minister was simultaneously the DJ.

"I now persent, for the first time, HerName HerSurname and HisName HisSurname."
- The bride proceeds to fire off a tiny bouquet in a model rocket.

Man, nowadays, you do whatever the hell you want.
Ever since the gays got the marriage, it's like nobody wants to make you sit through four hours of a Catholic mass at a wedding anymore. Truly, the downfall of our civilization.

To answer the original question, though, since the bride not taking the groom's name isn't traditional, there's no real "traditional" way to announce them; it's pretty much however the couple want it done.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Baldbeard posted:

From what I understand, the common cold is pretty much harmless, and most of our symptoms are from our own body overreacting. Does this mean someone who gets a lot of colds actually has a healthier immune system since they put up the biggest fight? I haven't gotten sick in like 5 years, even though I've been in environment where everyone around me has a cold -- does that mean I'm lucky? Healthy? Unhealthy?

There are about 250 strains of the common cold, it seems more likely that for some reason you've already had the one that your peers are suffering from.

So, in general; lucky.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Thanatosian posted:

Ever since the gays got the marriage, it's like nobody wants to make you sit through four hours of a Catholic mass at a wedding anymore. Truly, the downfall of our civilization.

To answer the original question, though, since the bride not taking the groom's name isn't traditional, there's no real "traditional" way to announce them; it's pretty much however the couple want it done.

Gravity Pike posted:

I've seen this. On the other hand, all of my friends are atheists, and just get a buddy to go online to sign up as a minister with the Church of Life. Not one has had a "traditional" wedding. The last 3 weddings I've been to:

"So everybody, HisName and HerName!"
- Minister was a man with a pink mohawk, slacks and a vest, but no shirt

"Give a round of applause for HisName LastName and HisName LastName!"
- Gay marriage where one man took the other's last name. The minister was simultaneously the DJ.

"I now persent, for the first time, HerName HerSurname and HisName HisSurname."
- The bride proceeds to fire off a tiny bouquet in a model rocket.

Man, nowadays, you do whatever the hell you want.

Phi Fi Fo Fum posted:

We went with "I present to you HisFirst and HerFirst, husband and wife." Anything outside the standard name change version is probably going to sound a little awkward to anyone who's used to hearing that one. Just ask the couple what they would be most comfortable with.

Yeah, as I said earlier I asked her and she asked me to find out what other people have done. She wants its fairly traditional declaration (in as much as beach, run by me and same last name wedding can be). A happy medium between church formal and gay hippie atheist.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

hooah posted:

Ok, so my next question is socks/shoes. I'm wearing navy slacks and I can do either brown or black shoes. I have black, dark grey, light grey, and sort of dark olive socks.

I'd say go with Black/Black

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Baldbeard posted:

Namarrgon posted:

There are about 250 strains of the common cold, it seems more likely that for some reason you've already had the one that your peers are suffering from.

So, in general; lucky.

The symptoms are the side effects of your body fighting off the infection. As you get older you generally get fewer colds since you gain immunity from each strain once you get it, so there's a difference between the immune system killing it before it takes hold, and the immune system going :supaburn: to fight it off.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

hooah posted:

Ok, so my next question is socks/shoes. I'm wearing navy slacks and I can do either brown or black shoes. I have black, dark grey, light grey, and sort of dark olive socks.

If you have a silver belt and watch, do black/black. If they're gold, I'd brown/olive, assuming the olive is really dark (ideally you'd want brown socks too). And as for the tie, the rule of thumb is that one part of your ensemble should be busy/patterned. As long as the tie's pattern is subdued or subtle, it'll look fine.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

CatchrNdRy posted:

Yeah, as I said earlier I asked her and she asked me to find out what other people have done. She wants its fairly traditional declaration (in as much as beach, run by me and same last name wedding can be). A happy medium between church formal and gay hippie atheist.

Just say, "Ladies and Gentlemen, I have the pleasure of presenting: John Doe and Jane Whatever!"

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

GreenBuckanneer posted:

For here in maine, it says I'm eligible to an amount of money (but a max per week), but that because I was fired and not laid off, they said I need to make x amount of money with an employer (which I made several times that amount with the one I'm trying to get unemployment from).

That doesn't really help me, because I was unemployed almost immediately after movein to a new apartment and havent been able to get a job since :S

If you were fired with reason, it's entirely possible you can't get any umemployment compensation. I know that in Pennsylvania it's like that, no idea about Maine. Since unemployment is paid for by both the state and your former employer, and the employer doesn't have to pay if they fired you, the state won't pay either. But that's a really weird way to put it, I have no idea why they mentioned a second employer. Did you work for anyone else during this period?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CatchrNdRy posted:

the officiant normally states "It is my great pleasure to be the first to present you Mr. and Mrs. MaleFirstName MaleSurname" and everyone claps.

I ask because I am have been asked to be an officiant and my friend is keeping her last name.

It is proper to address a couple as Mr. and Mrs. MaleFirstName MaleLastName regardless of the wife's last name or her intentions of changing or not changing it. Not just at a reception, either.

In fact, I know several women who have kept their maiden name and get upset by this when it is put on formal invitations. Guess what: that's what your name is when you're addressed as a couple, so get over it. But at your own reception? That's up to the couple to decide. They're the ones paying the freight.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm applying for an internship for a company whose reps I talked to at a career fair. The application requires a cover letter, but I have no idea who to address it to. Would it be gauche to send an email from their website asking who I should address the letter to?

b2n
Dec 29, 2005
Can somebody please tell who the actor is that shoots himself in this scene?

If somebody knows the movie, that'd be swell, too. Thanks

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Christopher Walken. I googled "Christopher Walken Russian Roulette" and came up with a bunch of stuff.

edit: The Deer Hunter http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Deer_Hunter

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Alkanos posted:

If you were fired with reason, it's entirely possible you can't get any umemployment compensation. I know that in Pennsylvania it's like that, no idea about Maine. Since unemployment is paid for by both the state and your former employer, and the employer doesn't have to pay if they fired you, the state won't pay either. But that's a really weird way to put it, I have no idea why they mentioned a second employer. Did you work for anyone else during this period?

No. I worked for them for a majority of a year. They fired me for time theft, on a day where I had to manually punch, on a day I almost got hit by a car on the way into work and forgot to punch when I showed up because of that, on a day I volunteered to help out and wasn't given a specific set in stone time (where another manager saw me come in earlier because I was checking to see if I had to manual punch or not so I could make sure to be on time). I talked to some other managers of nearby stores, and their response was "oh, we would have just removed the time and said not to do it again".

b2n
Dec 29, 2005

Cage posted:

Christopher Walken. I googled "Christopher Walken Russian Roulette" and came up with a bunch of stuff.

edit: The Deer Hunter http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Deer_Hunter

Much appreciated

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

No. I worked for them for a majority of a year. They fired me for time theft, on a day where I had to manually punch, on a day I almost got hit by a car on the way into work and forgot to punch when I showed up because of that, on a day I volunteered to help out and wasn't given a specific set in stone time (where another manager saw me come in earlier because I was checking to see if I had to manual punch or not so I could make sure to be on time). I talked to some other managers of nearby stores, and their response was "oh, we would have just removed the time and said not to do it again".

Yeah, so that whole thing is going to be reduced down to 'fired with cause' on an unemployment application and it'll be denied.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Yeah, so that whole thing is going to be reduced down to 'fired with cause' on an unemployment application and it'll be denied.
This varies greatly from state to state.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Rules vary by state, but everywhere I've looked if your action wasn't chronic, intentional or severe then you're fine.

quote:

Examples of discharges that could potentially make an applicant ineligible are:

Continued, unexcused absences and/or tardiness
Using drugs or alcohol on the job
Breaking company rules
Intentional neglect of duties
Insubordination, theft, fighting, or harassment

Examples of discharges that probably won't make an applicant ineligible include:

Absence because of illness or injury with proper notice to the employer
Inability to meet the employer's performance standards
Ordinary errors or accidents not due to carelessness or negligence
Inefficiency
Honest mistakes or omissions
Unless his failure to clock in/out properly was chronic or clearly intentional, then it's just an honest mistake and he should be entitled to unemployment.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Ah, probably should have guessed that not everywhere had the same employment laws as WV.

KoB
May 1, 2009

hooah posted:

I'm applying for an internship for a company whose reps I talked to at a career fair. The application requires a cover letter, but I have no idea who to address it to. Would it be gauche to send an email from their website asking who I should address the letter to?

Not at all.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Ah, probably should have guessed that not everywhere had the same employment laws as WV.

West Virginia Unemployment Site posted:

#Q9: CAN I DRAW BENEFITS EVEN IF I WAS FIRED?

A: That depends on why you were fired.

If you were fired for Gross Misconduct, then you are disqualified until you return to work for 30 days. Gross misconduct includes being intoxicated on the job, physical violence, and violating prior written warnings.

However, if you were fired for Simple Misconduct, then you are disqualified only for six weeks. Simple misconduct includes absenteeism (missing long periods of work without a good excuse) and insubordination (willfully refusing to perform a standard job duty). In general, Simple Misconduct is defined as violating known rules or willfully disregarding the employer's reasonable interests.

Minor mistakes and accidents do NOT count as misconduct, simple or gross. Not doing the job fast enough, or good enough, does NOT count as misconduct. Even if you've had a written warning that you need to work faster, or better.
I can't imagine there are any states where minor mistakes are cause for ineligibility.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Well now I learned two things today. I was going off the site below and didn't read below the 'fired for misconduct' part. Good to know.

http://www.lawv.net/node/1125#Q3

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Is/was there a mattress thread somewhere on the forums? Not having archives is a B and I could use some advice from smelly goons regarding what I should sleep on.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Motronic posted:

It is proper to address a couple as Mr. and Mrs. MaleFirstName MaleLastName regardless of the wife's last name or her intentions of changing or not changing it. Not just at a reception, either.

This is not true. In fact, you recognize that immediately thereafter:

Motronic posted:

In fact, I know several women who have kept their maiden name and get upset by this when it is put on formal invitations.

It is not proper to upset people by addressing them in a fashion they do not want.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ulmont posted:

This is not true. In fact, you recognize that immediately thereafter:

It is not proper to upset people by addressing them in a fashion they do not want.

Do you really not understand the difference between formal written communication (like invitations) having an accepted set of standards (and just because you want to be a special snowflake you don't get to be upset when someone addresses mail to you in a way that has been socially acceptable for a few hundred years) as compared to telling a DJ or officiant how you want to be announced at a party you are paying for?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Motronic posted:

Do you really not understand the difference between formal written communication (like invitations) having an accepted set of standards (and just because you want to be a special snowflake you don't get to be upset when someone addresses mail to you in a way that has been socially acceptable for a few hundred years) as compared to telling a DJ or officiant how you want to be announced at a party you are paying for?

Do you really not understand why a woman might find it pretty offensive to be referred to as "Mrs John Smith" like as though she's just "John Smith's wife" rather than a person in her own right?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Motronic posted:

You know what else was socially acceptable for a few hundred years?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Look, I'm telling you how it is. If you don't like it don't shoot the messenger.

These are the accepted standards of polite western society.

Don't worry...this thread is proof they won't last much longer, as it's pretty apparent very few people know them anymore.

Tiggum posted:

Do you really not understand why a woman might find it pretty offensive to be referred to as "Mrs John Smith" like as though she's just "John Smith's wife" rather than a person in her own right?

In a formal written context where accepted social customs are being followed? Only if she has some manner of inferiority complex or is completely and totally ignorant to accepted social customs.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
The only consideration that matters here is what the bride and groom want, no one cares about the accepted standard of polite western society.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

365 Nog Hogger posted:

The only consideration that matters here is what the bride and groom want,

Are you actually reading my posts? Because I said just that.

365 Nog Hogger posted:

no one cares about the accepted standard of polite western society.

Wow....look at how young and wrong you are.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Motronic posted:

In a formal written context where accepted social customs are being followed? Only if she has some manner of inferiority complex or is completely and totally ignorant to accepted social customs.
I really don't think you should be telling a woman that she has an "inferiority complex" for being upset at people assuming that she has ceased to exist as a person and is now just an accessory of her husband.

Something being an "accepted social custom" is not code for "this is how things are going to be and you're not allowed to get mad, so deal with it." How on earth do you think these customs change?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

she has ceased to exist as a person and is now just an accessory of her husband.

The fact that you think an address on an envelope does that to you is pretty mind boggling, and well beyond the scope of a message board to sort out.

Best of luck.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

We should all keep doing lovely sexist stuff because our stupid, amphetamine-riddled grandparents did them, right guys? That's a reason to keep doing objectively bad things, right?

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Motronic posted:

The fact that you think an address on an envelope does that to you is pretty mind boggling, and well beyond the scope of a message board to sort out.

Best of luck.

How about we all ignore Motronic from now on because he is a troll.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Motronic posted:

Best of luck.

Treating the male form as the default and having women verbally or textually submissive in form does in fact have significant effects on how men and women are perceived.
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00290069#page-1
http://www.stanford.edu/class/linguist156/Gastil_1990.pdf
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00289792#page-1

Let me know when you finish those and I'll be happy to link more.

Alternatively, a brilliant satirical piece that gets the point across with tremendous force and clarity: http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs655/readings/purity.html

e: Also, you should know that the argument you're making -- that it's the way we do things, the way they've always been done, and so therefore it is the right way -- is a logical fallacy called Appeal to Tradition. Your view is not supportable logically based on the argument you have chosen, and so can be dismissed out of hand. I'd recommend changing your justification for your beliefs if you want to be taken seriously.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 21, 2014

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Motronic posted:

Spoken like a man who's never had to deal with sexism in his life.

But please, tell me more about how my wife and I should feel about things, oh Arbiter of Emotions. For clearly we cannot deviate from your path or we are mentally deranged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

hooah posted:

Your question has been answered but for future reference:

Men's Fashion Megathread

Just take a little bit of it with a grain of salt; some of the folks in there are a little too fashion forward.

edit: and of course, now that I've linked it, there's a 4 page long argument about tech-wear going on. Never mind.

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 21, 2014