Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

It just feels more like retconning during the dev process to me then it does an actual conscious decision by the writers. There's all kind of little innocuous things that aren't really explained all that well. Like how if you follow Roche's path and then dare to say "we gotta save Triss" all the NPCs are like "if you wanted to go get Triss you should have gone with Iorveth you idiot." Well great, I wish someone had told me that in the first place when I was actually making the decision. Or like how Stennis' guilt is left completely open to argument, as the facts don't actually conclude anything. But Geralt later just straight up declares in a cutscene that Stennis is totally and absolutely a weaselly little poisoner who tried to kill Saskia.

I agree with the Stennis bit, as even if you discover all there is to discover, it's still unclear what Stennis knew/ordered and what Phillipa's involvement was. But, I suspect the storyboard was animated/written before they fully fleshed out the quest.

As for Triss, though, talking to both Iorveth's people and Roche makes it very clear that Iorveth will take you immediately to Aedirn so that you may pursue Triss while Roche will tell you that Aedirn can wait as he's far more interested in Loredo/Kaedwen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yeah, part of motivation for picking Iorveth as I felt Roche's passage was coming with more strings attached. That, and I also felt kinda bad for getting Iorveth captured while he was helping me.

The Sharmat posted:

With a syringe, not a dagger.
And it doesn't matter anyway, since my suggestion was that the spells on the dagger are what could kill her if it stabs the heart. The syringe is irrelevant.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Leb posted:

I agree with the Stennis bit, as even if you discover all there is to discover, it's still unclear what Stennis knew/ordered and what Phillipa's involvement was.
I didn't suspect Philippa's involvement at all until I after that quest anyway, myself. But yeah it was initially totally ambiguous whether Stennis was completely ignorant of the plot, or central to it, or if he maybe even just sort of stumbled on to it and didn't bother to stop it. Then Geralt just comes out with magic narrator voice even though you never find anything conclusive. It's the only part in the game that had such a big goof in the writing.

Speaking of ambiguous plots and motives, I've often wondered if Philippa actually wanted Cynthia to pull the whole artifact compression thing on Triss to get her out of the way until the situation stabilized. Of course, Cynthia then taking her to the Nilfgaardian camp wasn't part of the plan.

Lycus posted:

Yeah, part of motivation for picking Iorveth as I felt Roche's passage was coming with more strings attached. That, and I also felt kinda bad for getting Iorveth captured while he was helping me.
Yeah, that was my reasoning for that choice. Geralt is not a Temerian agent.

Naturally, after I finished the game I immediately started a new one where I did Roche's path instead, though. You really have to play the game twice.

Lycus posted:

And it doesn't matter anyway, since my suggestion was that the spells on the dagger are what could kill her if it stabs the heart. The syringe is irrelevant.
I suppose that's true, given the amount of damage she takes in the fight and recovers from.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Leb posted:

As for Triss, though, talking to both Iorveth's people and Roche makes it very clear that Iorveth will take you immediately to Aedirn so that you may pursue Triss while Roche will tell you that Aedirn can wait as he's far more interested in Loredo/Kaedwen.

The Sharmat posted:

Also I went with Iorveth my first time precisely because it seemed like the fastest way to get to Triss, so...

But it's not even that.

My post was already a bit large so I didn't want to espouse every innocuous detail. But the exact same dialogue is available on the other side. You'd expect fastest way out of town to be the easiest way to pursue the Letho as well, right? Kingslayer is headed to vergen right away so if you go with the elves you get to him faster, because who cares about flotsam anyways? But if you go with Iorveth and say 'I have to find the kingslayer,' all the dwarves and dandelion are like 'well you should have gone with Roche then.' Which was pretty unexplained at the time of the decision.

COOKIEMONSTER fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 20, 2014

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Started playing through Witcher 2 again and I've been having a lot of crashes to desktop without an error message. Anybody have any fixes for this? I have all graphic options turned up to max except for v-sync and texture memory, Windows 7.

Also for those who are interested, the next English translation of the novels is coming out Feb 20th in the UK. You can get it on AmazonUK.

I had this problem when I had accumulated a ton of save files. They also made loading the menu take quite a while. I went in and cleared out a bunch of old ones and the crashes stopped. They were initially stored in My Documents but at some point Steam started putting them in \userdata\[#]\20920\remote.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

But it's not even that.

My post was already a bit large so I didn't want to espouse every innocuous detail. But the exact same dialogue is available on the other side. You'd expect fastest way out of town to be the easiest way to pursue the Letho as well, right? Kingslayer is headed to vergen right away so if you go with the elves you get to him faster, because who cares about flotsam anyways? But if you go with Iorveth and say 'I have to find the kingslayer,' all the dwarves and dandelion are like 'well you should have gone with Roche then.' Which was pretty unexplained at the time of the decision.

It's more that Roche actually has a bunch of connections and intelligence contacts that could potentially figure out who the Kingslayers are and why they're doing this,, whereas going with Iorveth represents saying "to Hell with it" going off mostly on your own to handle it for the sake of speed.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
During At a Crossroads, Roche does muse that maybe Kaedwen is behind the kingslayer. I didn't buy it at all at the time, but that's probably some justification for the game portraying "Go with Roche = more concerned with catching the kingslayer". Also, even if you don't believe that, it's reasonable to assume that the kingslayer's next target would be Henselt, and so investigating Kaedwen is a legitimate next step for catching him.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 20, 2014

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

I had this problem when I had accumulated a ton of save files. They also made loading the menu take quite a while. I went in and cleared out a bunch of old ones and the crashes stopped. They were initially stored in My Documents but at some point Steam started putting them in \userdata\[#]\20920\remote.

Thanks for that but I actually figured it out. Apparently with 32bit Win7, your virtual memory gets sapped pretty quick, causing crashes on quick saves and loading cutscenes. Luckily there is a fix by enabling Windows to cache 3gigs of virtual memory. Fixed the problem right quick!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
:frogsiren: The Witcher 3 delayed all the way to February 2015.:frogsiren:

Godfucking pissbleeding asscunt.
Although I suppose if this is the price for the game not sucking at launch somehow, it oughta be worth it.

But... almost a whole goddamn year. gently caress.

EDIT: Of waiting I mean, not a year's delay.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Fantastic news, everyone! GPU upgrades have been delayed a year!

Dammit, Ciri, you had one job.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Leb posted:

:lol:

My first experience with Witcher 2 was getting into the dungeon scene after Roche frees you and my game refusing to render and or crashing. I knew then I needed to upgrade.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Leb posted:

First thing I thought. Unironically.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Having seen major games get disappointing towards the end because they may have rushed things a bit in the latter stages, I'm fine with this. But now the pressure's on for them to make it perfect.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

Lycus posted:

Having seen major games get disappointing towards the end because they may have rushed things a bit in the latter stages, I'm fine with this. But now the pressure's on for them to make it perfect.

A truly decent final act is the only thing that CDP to my mind have ever fallen short on so I hope it's this.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
If the game really is a big, open-world like they claim it is, then they can go ahead and take all the time they need to achieve (or at least come close to) the same density of detail the made Witcher 2 great. The last thing I want from a Witcher game is something that needed to be padded out with repetitive content like most open-world games.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Quick question: What's the joke about "Yennefer? I barely knew her!" ?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Buckwild Dorf posted:

Quick question: What's the joke about "Yennefer? I barely knew her!" ?
"X'er? I barely knew her!" is just an old joke.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Also Geralt has amnesia.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Since the wikis are a mess, can anyone summarize what role The Wild Hunt had in the books? Apparently they were actually in the original prose? I read a bunch, but rather than try and regurgitate a poorly written wiki article, anyone with knowledge of the books and stories care to give me their take?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I've been avoiding everything for the Witcher 3 but after reading delay I finally sat down and watched the trailers.

gently caress 2015 can't come fast enough.

I'm reading through the novels again to tie me over and I realised there is a board game, has anyone played it? Me and my buds are nerds and will play it if I buy it, has anyone here played it/got any opinions/reviews on it?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Aurubin posted:

Since the wikis are a mess, can anyone summarize what role The Wild Hunt had in the books? Apparently they were actually in the original prose? I read a bunch, but rather than try and regurgitate a poorly written wiki article, anyone with knowledge of the books and stories care to give me their take?

I've read them a while ago, so it'd be better if someone checked it:
(major book and W3 spoiler) Wild hunt are elven slave seeking expeditions from another world. They use some kind of magic/technology that makes people follow the hunt and makes people unable to resist them. After that captives are transported to a world where Elves rule. Humans are only servants/manual labourers. Supposedly time progresses differently there, so people who spend couple of decades in elven world could end up missing centuries in the regular one. Pure elves have few children, require ages to mature and elven women have few fertile times, that's the reason for getting human servants. Those elves are of course also massive assholes, also King of the Hunt couldn't "get it up" in bed with Ciri

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

alex314 posted:

I've read them a while ago, so it'd be better if someone checked it:
(major book and W3 spoiler) Wild hunt are elven slave seeking expeditions from another world. They use some kind of magic/technology that makes people follow the hunt and makes people unable to resist them. After that captives are transported to a world where Elves rule. Humans are only servants/manual labourers. Supposedly time progresses differently there, so people who spend couple of decades in elven world could end up missing centuries in the regular one. Pure elves have few children, require ages to mature and elven women have few fertile times, that's the reason for getting human servants. Those elves are of course also massive assholes, also King of the Hunt couldn't "get it up" in bed with Ciri

Isn't this a W2 spoiler? You find all this out at the end.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Boing posted:

I was just wondering if it was consistent with the novels or CDProjeckt's interpretation. To the uninitiated the Hunt seemed like a weird side story rather than something that was a larger part of the overall narrative, especially in the first game where it seems like they were dogging Geralt for no obvious reason. Interesting foil to the Witcher world. No clean hands and all that.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Boing posted:

I don't remember finding out that they were essentially the spectral projections of trans-dimensional elves though. I thought they were basically seen as undead from another realm coming along to kidnap people.

edit: vvvv ingame, I mean. I knew that from the books so I guess the parts where Geralt learns this didn't jump out at me.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 13, 2014

Okimin
Dec 19, 2009

rebel rebel

Ravenfood posted:

I don't remember finding out that they were essentially the spectral projections of trans-dimensional elves though. I thought they were basically seen as undead from another realm coming along to kidnap people.

yeah, you spend like most of the game peicing this together. along with a flashback basically saying this verbatim, and if you missed that geralt lays it all out for letho if you spoke to him at the end

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Ravenfood posted:

edit: vvvv ingame, I mean. I knew that from the books so I guess the parts where Geralt learns this didn't jump out at me.

Related game video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCZAHlWQzMQ

e: Additional warning: that's from towards the end of the game really don't click if you haven't beaten the game.

Overminty fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 13, 2014

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

I'm not so keen on the Wild Hunt as a fantastical story element to what is otherwise a gritty down-to-earth drama about politics and war and personal stakes. It seems to jar with the tone of the rest of the story a little.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Boing posted:

I'm not so keen on the Wild Hunt as a fantastical story element to what is otherwise a gritty down-to-earth drama about politics and war and personal stakes. It seems to jar with the tone of the rest of the story a little.

Well from the perspective of the larger racial conflict at play between human and nonhumans in the Witcher, it's a mirrored reality. Humans are chattel to the elves of the Hunt, while non humans are violently repressed in the Witcher world. The Hunt itself is a well established Germanic legend, so it's use in an Eastern European fantasy story is not out of place. Is it jarring because they're a significant actor whose motivations aren't constrained to local politics? It's a world of trolls, undead curses, sexed up mages and giant tentacled monsters. But politics helps to mask that? Asking genuinely.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Well, yes. I consider The Witcher unique among fantasy games in that the fantasy elements aren't what drive the story, they're just dressing for the wider themes of political conflict. It's similar to A Song of Ice and Fire in this regard, where magic and fantasy do exist but are not what make the world interesting. A lot of bad fantasy falls into the hole where any drama or intrigue is not considered at all and the story is all about "we must kill the dragon" or whatever. Yes The Witcher has elves and dragons and sexed up mages, but they aren't what the story is about and I find that very refreshing.

The mirrored racial oppression is an interesting take on it. But 'stop the encroaching horde of inhuman bad guys' is a tired trope and I think The Witcher is beyond that. Nilfgaard at least has relatable motivations and I'm certain that W3 will have interesting Nilfgaardian characters who are as fleshed out as any others in the story. But who knows, W3 may surprise me and do the same for the Wild Hunt.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Huh, well, guess I'd totally forgotten that. Okay then. I should really replay this game.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Boing posted:

A huge part of the Witcher universe (whenever you're outside a town, basically) is based around folklore and fairy tales, and the Wild Hunt fits right into that. It's much more the case in the first game than the second, but Geralt is a monster hunter after all.

I actually think it's kind of lame that the reason for their existence is so easily explained, though.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 13, 2014

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I've only read one of The Witcher novels (Last Wish I think), expecting it to be more like Witcher 2 in that it involves these human political struggles and schemes between kingdoms, but it's actually a lot more focused on fairy tale and fantasy stuff, the Witcher 2 had a much different tone; The Wild Hunt as the focus of the third game would actually fit in pretty well with the universe, at least if the one novel I read was any indication.

In the book's defense, it's a much more nuanced and mature take on fairy tale and fantasy stuff than the standard fare; it's about a monster hunter who lives in a world where not all monsters are evil and not all humans are good, and the introduction of elves and dwarves and the rest into the universe basically serves to give the humans an opportunity to be racist towards them, so it's much smarter than normal fantasy, but it's still very heavy on the fantasy element, compared to stuff like A Song of Ice and Fire.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Those Witcher 3 screenshots persuaded me to save my computer-building money for next year. Thank you!

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.
I'm glad they are taking their time. Honestly having read one of those preview PDF things. A lot of the stuff they plan to put in The Witcher 3 sounds ridiculously difficult to do right. The completely reactive world with real ingame economy, complex AI morale system where they will surrender or flee, villages that react to monsters where peasants will get picked off and if you wait too long a village might be abandoned completely or killed off, and people will migrate to avoid cold during temperature changes.

Crazy ambitious. If they can really pull it off it will be GOTY for the next 5 years easily.

Aurubin posted:

I'm only on book 4. The first mention of it is in book 2 though. And it's just for metaphorical purposes, the elves have a different name and understanding of the phenomenon. Yennifer says they describe it as the queen of winter spreading icicles. If they pierce your heart you will never find love. Geralt says differently "It's not a legend, Yen. It's a beautiful way to describe the terrible phenomenon called the Wild Hunt, a curse apparent in certain lands. An irrational collective insanity drives people to follow the ghostly procession racing across the sky. I've seen it. Indeed, it's not uncommon in winter. I've been offered a lot of money to end the curse, but I didn't take it. Nothing can stand against the Wild Hunt..."

They also talk about it in book 3, just very shortly, noting that it's strange that no Elven or Dwarven historical texts from before the humans arrived on the continent mention the phenomenon at all. Which made more sense having played the game, and learned the truth behind it.

I've just started on book 4 but I'm not afraid of spoilers so I did a quick search for "wild hunt"(I'm using a PDF version.) I'm assuming it's a dream sequence although without greater context I'm not sure. Ciri often has crazy dreams because she's a child of the elder blood and some unknown force is trying to scare her by showing her the future. So it's either something happening or something that will happen. But she sees the wild hunt. They find her and say: "Child of the Elder Blood! You belong to us! You are ours! Join the procession, join our Hunt! Let us run, run to the end of eternity, until the limit of existence! You are ours, daughter of Chaos! Join us and know the joy of the Hunt! You are ours, you’re one of us! Your place is among us!" she ends up fleeing from them as the section ends and they chase her "Behind her she could feel the spectral pursuers."

I've also heard from another source that further on the books(though I forget where I heard it,) ciri ends up in an alternate dimension, probably the one the elves are coming from. I'm not sure if she got kidnapped or if she teleported there using her own powers as a Source. I assume the former. Because I also distinctly remember that part of it is she has to master her powers or something to figure out how to get home and escape from the dimension.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've only read one of The Witcher novels (Last Wish I think), expecting it to be more like Witcher 2 in that it involves these human political struggles and schemes between kingdoms, but it's actually a lot more focused on fairy tale and fantasy stuff, the Witcher 2 had a much different tone; The Wild Hunt as the focus of the third game would actually fit in pretty well with the universe, at least if the one novel I read was any indication.

They get more political as they go on.

The end of the 2nd book is basically right after the aftermath of the first invasion of the north by Nilfgard. They talk a lot about the battle of Sodden as Geralt tries to piece together what happened. The 3rd book "Blood of Elves" was a lot more heavy on the political stuff. They introduce the squirrels, Master Dijkstra(Spymaster for Redania,) and big time schemer Phillipa Eilhart. And not sure if this is a spoiler(I doubt it is though as it's introduced very early in the book) but a big portion of it deals with a Nilfgaardian agent trying to track down Geralt. They each try to outmaneouver each other with intelligence gathering and deceit. The story even cuts to Emhyr var Emreis, groups of scheming mages, and to the northern kings having a private meeting.

COOKIEMONSTER fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 14, 2014

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Well, I suppose that's what I get for judging the whole series based on one book, then.

Thanks for telling me about that, that's more what I was looking for in the series; I'll have to check that one out.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

Well, I suppose that's what I get for judging the whole series based on one book, then.

Thanks for telling me about that, that's more what I was looking for in the series; I'll have to check that one out.

You should read the 2nd book too(sword of destiny.) Even though it's a lot more of the monster related short stories, it has a lot of important setup info for the third book. Like who the hell Ciri is and why she is now so integral to the plot that at least 1/3rd of the chapters are now from her POV. And more background on the Yennifer+Geralt relationship.

And the stories do revolve a bit more around politics. Like Geralt being sent by a king to parley with a nation of dryads who kill everyone entering their forest. And being asked/threatened to interfere in a political marriage to ensure an outcome a queen wants.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Nice preview for W3.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/life-in-the-open-world-of-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/1100-6418394/

(full disclosure, i work for them)

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 654 days!)

i wish they would just not put out any more previews until around december it's like rubbing salt in the wound

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
This was probably written before we announced the delay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 654 days!)

i'll probably die of anticipation before next february

• Locked thread