Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you want it to write wetter you could try doing the thing someone posted earlier where you squeeze the edges of the nib at the widest part a bit. I did that to my Diamond 530 to get it writing a bit wetter and like the results.

Alternatively, you could order a 1.1 nib for $23.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
Yeah, I tried that, but it's not enough. I might try and do more, I guess. It just has such a small sweet spot and I have to lick the nib before I write unless I'm writing constantly. I write intermittently, taking notes, so it's annoying. I know it's fixable, but I don't know how other than it wouldn't do that if it was wetter.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force

milpreve posted:

Yeah, I tried that, but it's not enough. I might try and do more, I guess. It just has such a small sweet spot and I have to lick the nib before I write unless I'm writing constantly. I write intermittently, taking notes, so it's annoying. I know it's fixable, but I don't know how other than it wouldn't do that if it was wetter.

Have you tried more than one ink? What about a thorough cleaning? Do you have a loupe? There might be a bit of paper in the tines.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
The regular covers are finally back in stock and my hobonichi techo is complete!

with my Sailor mini Sapporo

god I love the stencil board so much

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Armchair Calvinist posted:

My girlfriend got a new planner and cap for her Twsbi after it sheared at the threads. She's a happy camper now. :)

I really want a Pilot Custom 74 with a Con-70 converter for work but moneyyyyyyy :negative:

Which planner is this?

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Invalid Octopus posted:

Which planner is this?

jomiel posted:

hobonichi techo

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
The paper is Tomoe River paper. It has a bit of ghosting even with an EF nib but it's so much nicer paper than other planners. I love the grid layout and how it lays out absolutely flat. The stencil boards are made for EF or F pens though, it's really hard to use the stencil with the tip of a highlighter....

I haven't been very creative with my planner though, it's just appointments and to do lists, so boring. I've pasted in some flight schedules but that's about it.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Does anyone have suggestions for loose-leaf paper? I use a lot of it for planning/thinking about projects and assignments. I usually buy Five Star Reinforced paper, which is surprisingly high quality for loose-leaf paper.
I'm hoping for something fairly cheap. For reference, I usually get the Five Star paper at 100 sheets for $3-$5. (I'm not getting more of the Five Star because it's currently >$10 on Amazon!)

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've been using HP 120gsm laser copy paper for annotating lecture notes and Rhodia dot pads for rough work. Most of the Rhodia pads are perforated.

If you need something really cheap, I've had good results with perforated Spirax 70% recycled notebooks.

HP 32lb paper works out at $3.20 per hundred, provided you don't mind buying half a ream at a time.

Welsper fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 21, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
I've heard a lot of people complain about moleskines in the context of fountain pens. I've been using moleskines almost excusively for class notes for half a decade now. Can someone qualify why they garner so much dislike?

Cactus-Piss
Oct 3, 2005

Did powering up involve getting a large black dick jammed in your ass?
I have an inquiry. Do any of you have experience with the Pilot Custom 845? Also, do any of you have experience with the the FA nib? I was looking at the Vermilion Custom 845 with FA nib, but decided to ask for feedback before I get something and have buyer's remorse.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

QuantumNinja posted:

I've heard a lot of people complain about moleskines in the context of fountain pens. I've been using moleskines almost excusively for class notes for half a decade now. Can someone qualify why they garner so much dislike?

Bleedthrough from anything wetter than a dry fine nib.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I have some HP 32lb laser paper and I would say it's a bit luxurious for everyday writing. It is nice and smooth, thicker than copy paper, and really shows off shading well for juicy fat nibs. Which is a great thing but I think next time I'll buy 28lb paper for general writing.

I've found Moleskines to be inconsistent within different notebooks and even in the same bound notebook. Some pages will be great, some pages will bleed everywhere and look like I dripped ink, and some pages feel waxy and my ink would not lay down properly. I like their construction and portability but I have a Leuchtturm1917 from Goulet Pens when my current Moleskine notebook is done. However all my Moleskine notebooks are the small pocket volumes, and I have also bought some of the smaller Field Notes notebooks, so maybe your larger notebooks are different?

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cactus-Piss posted:

I have an inquiry. Do any of you have experience with the Pilot Custom 845? Also, do any of you have experience with the the FA nib? I was looking at the Vermilion Custom 845 with FA nib, but decided to ask for feedback before I get something and have buyer's remorse.

From what I've read of the #15 FA nib it handles wonderfully for the most part, except the feed can't really keep up on long strokes like you'd find on spencerian script. Look for reviews on the Custom 743 FA.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Welsper posted:

Bleedthrough from anything wetter than a dry fine nib.

Also, feathering with most inks I've used, even some broad gel pens. Their paper quality varies from book to book, sometimes even within the same book.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Basically, in a vacuum it'd be alright, but you can get better notebooks for equal or less money. You're paying for the name.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
I can attest. I heard it was all the rage and got a small moleskine to try. It had a super heavy weight paper and really fine tooth which I adored. So I got a bunch more and they were all much lighter weight(maybe less than half) and coarser tooth which blows. Maybe there's some name or trait that I missed but I am disappointed.

Any recommendations for a sketchbook that's handsome, durable, heavy weight and very smooth (I'm talking vellum smooth here) and likes long woks at the beach?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I know this isn't really a calligraphy joint, but i got a Pilot Parallel last night and holy crap it's the best 10 bucks i've ever spent, it's amaaaaazing.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

lady flash posted:

Have you tried more than one ink? What about a thorough cleaning? Do you have a loupe? There might be a bit of paper in the tines.

Lamy Turquoise and Rohrer & Klingner Fernambuk. Recent dissembly/cleaning with a brief soak in pen flush. I'll have to take the nib off to floss the tines, and I'll pinch it a little more while it's off. Thanks for the tips!

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
The problem with Moleskine is that they don't have consistent paper sources. All the problems that have already been mentioned are because they don't buy all their paper from one manufacturer, and they don't really grade their paper by weight. It's a total crap shoot and, yeah, you're paying for the name.

I have a bunch of Clairefontaine notebooks I use and I love them. Rhodia and Banditapple are also supposed to be pretty good (and Rhodia is owned by Clairefontaine :ssh:).

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I signed up for the newsletter at His Nibs so I'll know when a pen I want comes back in stock, and we can't stop laughing at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-Cot7AkK68

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

So a Lamy T10 cartridge just about fits in an Esterbrook CX-100. The only caveat is that it's about 3mm too long for the barrel, so when you screw the section back into the barrel, it pushes the end of the cartridge that's connected to the section into the body of the cartridge and forces a little squirt of ink out of the nib. The cartridge doesn't appear otherwise damaged and it isn't leaking.

Other than that, it's a nice snug fit and it writes beautifully.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

cobalt impurity posted:

The problem with Moleskine is that they don't have consistent paper sources. All the problems that have already been mentioned are because they don't buy all their paper from one manufacturer, and they don't really grade their paper by weight. It's a total crap shoot and, yeah, you're paying for the name.

I have a bunch of Clairefontaine notebooks I use and I love them. Rhodia and Banditapple are also supposed to be pretty good (and Rhodia is owned by Clairefontaine :ssh:).

I will second Clairefontaine. The paper is incredibly smooth and I've only had even a hint bleedthrough from accidentally dumping a drop of ink off of a flex nib. One thing to remember is that you may still have some show through for lack of a better term (sort of like holding a paper up to the light).

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
My only problem with any "fancy" paper is I tend to forget that the ink generally takes longer to dry on it, and I'll end up smudging something or turning the page too quickly. I haven't had too much trouble with Moleskine myself, but I don't remember exactly what I have that is Moleskine, I wanna say one of the small notebooks (maybe 2) and 1 large one, but that might be something else.

I really like the look of those hobonichi techno notebooks, but I rarely use a daily planner, and I know if I got one it would most likely end up being 80% blank unless I used it as a dream journal and/or regular journal, and then it would be like 60% blank :v: Most anything that I would put in a planner I put in my phone so I get a reminder and I can also manage it on any computer where I can access my gmail.

I should probably just find some nice notebook thing that's refillable with good paper and stick with that.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Brightman posted:

I really like the look of those hobonichi techno notebooks, but I rarely use a daily planner, and I know if I got one it would most likely end up being 80% blank unless I used it as a dream journal and/or regular journal, and then it would be like 60% blank :v: Most anything that I would put in a planner I put in my phone so I get a reminder and I can also manage it on any computer where I can access my gmail.

I use my Hobonichi more as a scrapbook/journal. My phone calendar is my actual "planner," but my Hobonichi can store physical objects like ticket stubs, wine foils, pamphlets, business cards, receipts, et cetera. I try really hard to put something on each page, but I don't stress about it. I plan on tracking my daily sales in it once I start my new job, too.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Scrapbooking has always been kind of a foreign concept to me but you guys talking about just pasting poo poo into a planner/notebook sounds like a great way to keep track of it all. I'm not going to rush out and buy a hobonichi notebook but I have a box of random "trip relic" items like ticket stubs and pamphlets that I've wondered what to do with, so I probably have enough material kicking around to fill up most of a journal already. Also most of the travel I do anymore revolves around meeting up with people and drinking beer so part of what I collect are notes about what I got to try and how I liked it. Untappd on my phone covers some of that but when I have beer list from a festival I often write notes on those.

I always look at blank journals but never buy them because I've never managed to sustain any sort of daily journaling habits. Making a travel journal sounds purposeful and focused enough that I could actually maintain it.

re: fancy paper taking longer to dry -- that's why I finally ended up buying some blotter paper. I got a pack of the full sheets and cut a couple to fit inside the notebooks I haul around.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Everything Burrito posted:

Scrapbooking has always been kind of a foreign concept to me but you guys talking about just pasting poo poo into a planner/notebook sounds like a great way to keep track of it all. I'm not going to rush out and buy a hobonichi notebook but I have a box of random "trip relic" items like ticket stubs and pamphlets that I've wondered what to do with, so I probably have enough material kicking around to fill up most of a journal already. Also most of the travel I do anymore revolves around meeting up with people and drinking beer so part of what I collect are notes about what I got to try and how I liked it. Untappd on my phone covers some of that but when I have beer list from a festival I often write notes on those.

I always look at blank journals but never buy them because I've never managed to sustain any sort of daily journaling habits. Making a travel journal sounds purposeful and focused enough that I could actually maintain it.

re: fancy paper taking longer to dry -- that's why I finally ended up buying some blotter paper. I got a pack of the full sheets and cut a couple to fit inside the notebooks I haul around.

Same here. I had a box of stubs, tickets, etc. that I was saving. Wife bought me a handbound handmade leather journal for Christmas, now I put all that stuff in there. The paper sucks to write on with fountain pens but the journal itself is teriffic.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Everything Burrito posted:

I have a journal, that I wanna say is like 150 pages (?), and that's been going since 1998. I might be halfway now, but it seriously only started getting used more once I got into fountain pens. I have a few smaller ones for less notable things that fill up quicker. I also feel the same way about scrapbooking, but I don't really have stuff lying around that would apply. Might be a chicken/egg thing with me, I don't scrapbook because I don't have things for it, and I don't keep scrapbook appropriate things because I don't scrapbook.

The only notebook I have that gets a lot of use is the one for ideas and short stories, but they're mostly dumb things I write out with the sole purpose of draining the last bit of ink from a pen. I think one was a dumb poem where two pens were arguing about whether flex or stub was better.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
My girlfriend gave me a little clairefontaine notebook, it's half ink tests and scribbles and half random little notes or soppy poetry i take a picture of with my phone and text to her while she's at work.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I have a notebook I use for calligraphy practice, ink tests, and general "pen stuff", and one I use for a journal because I have the sadbrains and I need to put my thoughts to paper.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Brightman posted:

My only problem with any "fancy" paper is I tend to forget that the ink generally takes longer to dry on it, and I'll end up smudging something or turning the page too quickly. I haven't had too much trouble with Moleskine myself, but I don't remember exactly what I have that is Moleskine, I wanna say one of the small notebooks (maybe 2) and 1 large one, but that might be something else.

I suppose slow drying is one potential issue with Clairefontaine paper. I usually use an EF nib since I use the notebooks for class so I've never really had much of a problem with that.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Now that I'm writing with the pilot 15 Waverly nib - which puts down close to a medium line - slow drying has become an issue for me. It doesn't help that Kokuyo's CYO-BO paper is 100gsm (for reference, Rhodia/Clairefontaine is 80 to 90 depending on the product.)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I use the Clairfontaine wire-bound notebooks because it drives my poo poo up a wall to have my notebook close, pages flop back after they're turned, or have to hold it open to write in.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I'm really /really/ irritated with the Rhodia notebooks I bought. They cost a bloody fortune. They're a pleasure to write in, but the back cover has started to wend its way loose of the spiral, and I want to kick something.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

dino. posted:

I'm really /really/ irritated with the Rhodia notebooks I bought. They cost a bloody fortune. They're a pleasure to write in, but the back cover has started to wend its way loose of the spiral, and I want to kick something.

Well, they're probably just normal notebooks with nicer paper rather than journals that last for years under use...

Rhodia refill pads are probably the way to go.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I still haven't re-sacced my Esterbrook LJ, but my package from Anderson Pens arrived the other day and (after some trial and error) I was able to fit a replacement collar onto my 9556 nib:

FYI, if anyone's trying to re-collar an Estie nib, rubbing a little liquid soap on the nib itself and the feed helps it slide in better. Just remember to flush it out afterwards to get rid of the soap. Advice courtesy of Brian Anderson because I cut my finger trying to do it and got it jammed in up too high to write. Had to knock it out and try again.

venus de lmao fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 27, 2014

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.
gently caress I need to stop reading this thread. Now I have a pilot custom 823, a bottle of sailor waterproof blue-black, and a new pen wrap all coming my way. My wallet is not pleased.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just got a stub nib for my TWSBI 530, along with a 3.8mm Parallel to compliment my 1.5mm. I've gone from being all about ef nibs to loving the big calligraphy-ish letters of stubby nibs. Pretty inks are just so much prettier when they're in broad strokes.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

powderific posted:

Pretty inks are just so much prettier when they're in broad strokes.

:hfive:

Man I almost had a mess just now. Was happily writing along with my eyedropper Preppy full of BSB when I noticed the barrel was halfway unscrewed. Ended up with a blue thumb but caught it and tightened it up before it leaked significantly. I don't think I'm going to keep using this pen with BSB though. I'm probably gonna switch it to my broad nib 78G and just refill cartridges to cut down on some of the disaster risk (and to enjoy the color more).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiran
Jul 4, 2013

How do you guys feel about the Noodler's Ahab for an entry level flex pen? I hear some flex fanatics don't like it because it takes more pressure to flex than it should, but at the same time good (vintage) flex pens can get really, really expensive and I've never even used one before.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I use the Clairfontaine wire-bound notebooks because it drives my poo poo up a wall to have my notebook close, pages flop back after they're turned, or have to hold it open to write in.

Yep, I recently ordered four Clairefontaine cloth-bounds and one wire-bound because the cloth-bounds have more sheets for a cheaper price. It's almost not even worth the amount of effort you have to put into holding it open. I also really hate writing "uphill" so now I haven't been using the backs of pages and I really just wish I would have just bought more wire-bounds.

Kiran fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 3, 2014