Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The good news is that all quests are essentially loving useless and give no benefits other than items you will never use and will be too expensive to justifiably sell unless you find the mudcrab so you might as well just gently caress around for 500 hours like everyone else

yeah thats generally my intention, i wasn't planning on trying to crank out quest after quest like it was WoW but people have been talking about a few random ones here and there, and stuff with the guilds and houses and it seemed interesting. i just would like to sort of understand what's going on with stuff in the game when i'm not loving around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Horror Queefs posted:

I do, but I'm not sure what you mean by topics section. I guess i'll just run the game windowed and alt tab out and look poo poo up when I need, but that's irritating. I also need to find out how to do enchanting because I took it as a main skill and it seems like it would own and be fun

when you open the journal it says "options" in one of the corners, which opens up a screen where you can select topics. So for example if I was trying to find the directions for the quest to go stab a netch to death with a fork, i'd go "topics" "f" and it'd have a list of every quest-related topic beginning with f, and fork would be there somewhere.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

That or buy a notebook.

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW
I've made a Dunmer crusader and I'm gonna do the entire temple pilgrimage on foot with no help outside the in-game knowledge. I'll probably post a mini-trip report on how each shrine visit went, too.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Horror Queefs posted:

I do, but I'm not sure what you mean by topics section. I guess i'll just run the game windowed and alt tab out and look poo poo up when I need, but that's irritating. I also need to find out how to do enchanting because I took it as a main skill and it seems like it would own and be fun

don't run morrowind in windowed or at tab because your game will crash within 30 minutes without fail.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

kazr posted:

don't run morrowind in windowed or at tab because your game will crash within 30 minutes without fail.

it did fine playing for a couple hours yesterday actually. Mine isn't a steam version though FWIW

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Umm people, you know that when you click on "options" in lower right corner of your journal it shows a list of topics and one button that says "quests" on the right side. Click that and you will have a list of your active quests with arranged dialogue for them. This was added in Tribunal which I believe you all have.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Zero Star posted:

Is there a mod that stops shopkeepers from automatically wearing the Dark Brotherhood armour sets that I keep selling?

i think the morrowind code patch has one of its options make merchants not equip what you sell them

im pretty sure that mcp is just about standard issue for morrowind modding so you should get it

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

With enchanting you can enchant various items with magical properties (with soulgems), enchanted items need less charges to be used and you can recharge them more efficiently (with soulgems).

Soulgems are bread and butter of your enchanter. You can find them around the world or buy them from a merchant. But they are useless while empty so they need to be filled (you can find some already filled but that is rare). In order to fill them you must first learn a spell called "Soul Trap" from the school of Mysticism or find an enchanted item that grants you that spell. Cast that spell on a creature you are fighting and kill it within the time limit, which is 60 seconds for that particular spell. You cannot use it on humanoids because there are no black soulgems in Morrowind. Anyway, when you kill a creature his soul will fill a soulgem in your inventory but only if the gem is large enough. You would also want to keep variable sizes of gems on you so that you don't fill a grand soulgem with a soul of a rat. That's just wasteful.

You can use that soul gem to recharge your depleted items (just drag and drop the filled gem on your character) or you can use it to enchant some item. The better quality of an item, more likely it will hold more enchantments. You will also need to learn the type of spell you want to put on the item. So for instance if you know the spell "Firebite" that deals 15-40 fire damage on touch, you can enchant the item with 5-10 fire damage on target with 5 feet radius. You enchant items by finding an enchanter and choosing the "enchanting" option in dialogue.

And lastly, while souls of all creatures can only enchant items with "on use" or "on strike" abilities, souls of some creatures (Ascended Sleepers and Golden Saints) and gods (Vivec and Almalexia) can be used to create a constant effect enchantment and that is extremely powerful.

Hope I didn't miss anything.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Disco Infiva posted:

With enchanting you can enchant various items with magical properties (with soulgems), enchanted items need less charges to be used and you can recharge them more efficiently (with soulgems).

Soulgems are bread and butter of your enchanter. You can find them around the world or buy them from a merchant. But they are useless while empty so they need to be filled (you can find some already filled but that is rare). In order to fill them you must first learn a spell called "Soul Trap" from the school of Mysticism or find an enchanted item that grants you that spell. Cast that spell on a creature you are fighting and kill it within the time limit, which is 60 seconds for that particular spell. You cannot use it on humanoids because there are no black soulgems in Morrowind. Anyway, when you kill a creature his soul will fill a soulgem in your inventory but only if the gem is large enough. You would also want to keep variable sizes of gems on you so that you don't fill a grand soulgem with a soul of a rat. That's just wasteful.

You can use that soul gem to recharge your depleted items (just drag and drop the filled gem on your character) or you can use it to enchant some item. The better quality of an item, more likely it will hold more enchantments. You will also need to learn the type of spell you want to put on the item. So for instance if you know the spell "Firebite" that deals 15-40 fire damage on touch, you can enchant the item with 5-10 fire damage on target with 5 feet radius. You enchant items by finding an enchanter and choosing the "enchanting" option in dialogue.

And lastly, while souls of all creatures can only enchant items with "on use" or "on strike" abilities, souls of some creatures (Ascended Sleepers and Golden Saints) and gods (Vivec and Almalexia) can be used to create a constant effect enchantment and that is extremely powerful.

thats really helpful, thanks. i only took resto and destruction for major and minor skills though and not mysticism..will that hinder my enchanting?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Horror Queefs posted:

thats really helpful, thanks. i only took resto and destruction for major and minor skills though and not mysticism..will that hinder my enchanting?

No. You can still enchant. In Morrowind you can do anything with any skill - go ahead and pick whatever skills you want. Even if you're all weapons and armour-focused you can still do magic. You might not be good at it until you level up those skills, but you can still do it.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Nah, Soul Trap is a low level spell, you will only need to train a few levels in Mysticism for it to be cast consistently.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Disco Infiva posted:

Or you could...y'know CHIM yourself some fat stacks of "Soulgem_Grand_Goldensaint" or however it's listed.

Tear your reality a new sleep hole, motherfucker.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Error 404 posted:

Or you could...y'know CHIM yourself some fat stacks of "Soulgem_Grand_Goldensaint" or however it's listed.

Tear your reality a new sleep hole, motherfucker.

CHIMMING to the limit!

Yeaaah!

i hate everything
Oct 15, 2010
I trapped Almalexia's soul in Azura's star. Does this make me cool?

Yes/No?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

i hate everything posted:

I trapped Almalexia's soul in Azura's star. Does this make me cool?

Yes/No/CHIM?

CHIM

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

early dev screenshot mockups

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

Mammal Sauce posted:

The colour palette is a lot warmer than final Morrowind. Also is that Vivec without roofs on the plazas?

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

is there ANY house mod compatible w/ morrowind rebirth goddamn

every single one shifts the earth all weird and causes massive clipping in the area what gives

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I wonder if cliff racers were originally supposed to be non-hostile or if they were just put into that shot for the look.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Installed Morrowind and made my first character ever, thanks to this thread.

I used the key/inventory window trick mentioned earlier to get into the warehouse immediately after leaving the census building. Within two minutes I was irretrievably stuck in one of the wooden stair beams because I was trying to jump over a guard who was blocking my path.

After a reload, I exited from the second-floor door, jumped to the pier (losing 1/3 of my health in the process), then tried to jump over the knee-high rope railings-or-whatever into the water. Got irretrievably stuck in the rope.

After another reload, I nearly got stuck on another bridge while jumping my way around Seyda Neen.

Bethesda~*

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

The Protagonist posted:

^^^^ holy poo poo that would be rad...like a Lich questline but cooler and more original.

There was a mod I played many years ago that added the Sixth House as a playable faction. I remember you had do things like infect Caius Cosades with corprus, build your own Sixth House stronghold and Charge Ebonheart while donning the Sixth House banner to slay the Duke.

When you completed it, the entire island would have that red sky ash storm. Which was kind of annoying. But it was a pretty good mod overall.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Installed Morrowind and made my first character ever, thanks to this thread.

I used the key/inventory window trick mentioned earlier to get into the warehouse immediately after leaving the census building. Within two minutes I was irretrievably stuck in one of the wooden stair beams because I was trying to jump over a guard who was blocking my path.

After a reload, I exited from the second-floor door, jumped to the pier (losing 1/3 of my health in the process), then tried to jump over the knee-high rope railings-or-whatever into the water. Got irretrievably stuck in the rope.

After another reload, I nearly got stuck on another bridge while jumping my way around Seyda Neen.

Bethesda~*

Next time you get stuck, since there will inevitably be a next time, take advantage of playing on PC and hit ~ to open the console and enter ToggleCollision.

Angrybits
Feb 20, 2013

This is one of many reasons why you shouldn't alt-tab:

(This is supposed to be rain.)

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
post the swaggest nerevarines u got

I like how the Exquisite Robe and Her Hand pauldrons make you look like some sort of anime butterfly daimyo.

Karl Rove fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 21, 2014

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Angrybits posted:

Not even last night's storm could wake you...

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Mammal Sauce posted:

I remember seeing those for the first time and getting excited about the game, even if the characters in them looked dumb as poo poo. That last pic is still neat though.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
you know it just occurred to me, if you blended morrowind's aesthetic with panzer dragoon's aesthetic you'd have something esoteric as balls and probably awesome as hell

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Angrybits posted:

the neon underground is leaking

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW
Dozens of cliffracers later...

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
I really like the Temple pilgrimage and the Temple questline generally. Even the "travel to this one tiny island on the opposite side of the map without talking to anyone" quest is a super cool idea and if you hate doing it legit you'll know exactly how to scam it (donating a cheap levitate potion to Vivec's shrine gets you 100pts of levitate for like 12 hours, allowing you to float gracefully over the whole island - this is so useful I have a lot of my characters using it nearly constantly. If you're anywhere on the south coast a quick Almsivi intervention takes you right to the shrine).

Way better than the early Imperial Cult quests anyway, split between the priest dudes "Go beg for money", "Go find me some flowers" and "Go kill a ghost" for like five quests each.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

hailthefish posted:

Next time you get stuck, since there will inevitably be a next time, take advantage of playing on PC and hit ~ to open the console and enter ToggleCollision.

You don't even have to do that. One of my favorite commands that Morrowind had that the later Bethesda games dont: fixme

It just shifts you slightly over in case you're caught on something.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Morrowind's theft system was pretty great. People recognize their own stuff, and guards take stolen crap for balance purposes if they catch you, but otherwise the smith in Balmora will buy the sword you stole in Vivec no problem.

Oblivion removed that in favor of 'you can only sell stolen stuff to fences,' but I think a hybrid in which 'you can only sell stolen valuable or unique items to fences, otherwise nobody knows your random iron sword is stolen.'

That would require a lot of hand placed unique stuff in rich people's houses for thieves to steal though I guess.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Fargo Fukes posted:

if you hate doing it legit you'll know exactly how to scam it (donating a cheap levitate potion to Vivec's shrine gets you 100pts of levitate for like 12 hours

Or just travel up there, drop mark, travel back, take the oath, *fwip* done.

Moridin920 posted:

Oblivion removed that in favor of 'you can only sell stolen stuff to fences,' but I think a hybrid in which 'you can only sell stolen valuable or unique items to fences, otherwise nobody knows your random iron sword is stolen.'

I really like this approach, and you'd only need to apply it to named items and unique items anyway for it to really make sense. Wouldn't take any more effort than hand-placing items to begin with. As is having generic items somehow tainted with omniscient stolen-ness is weird. But Oblivion is really just a lexicon of bad decisions so v:o:v

The Protagonist fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 21, 2014

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Re: 'what do I do?'
Use your goddamn brain. You know, the thing between your ears which thinks and poo poo. Also use your eyes, they are important for reading what your brain is supposed to be processing. I know the whole reading information > processing information skill is atrophied in a lot of people these days, but it's not impossible to figure out.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Black Pants posted:

Re: 'what do I do?'
Use your goddamn brain. You know, the thing between your ears which thinks and poo poo. Also use your eyes, they are important for reading what your brain is supposed to be processing. I know the whole reading information > processing information skill is atrophied in a lot of people these days, but it's not impossible to figure out.

come on man how can you expect me to figure things out by reading basic instructions. the game needs to take me by the hand and guide me into a dark closet where it will

Lost Covenant
Dec 9, 2009
If you roll Dunmer (75% passive resist fire), then go nab Denstagmer's Ring from up by Gnisis (gives 30% resist frost, fire, thunder damage) you can have 105% resist fire at level 1. Enemies will still use fire spells on you even though they do jack poo poo, meaning a whole bunch of fights become super easy.

P.S Reinstalling Morrowind right now

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Karl Rove posted:

post the swaggest nerevarines u got

I was using this helmet too :bahgawd: but with the spear o' bitter mercy. Looks rad(der) on Argonians though. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Modding success story

The Morrowind Code Patch has an option for making the AI actually use their zero-cost spells. Sounds good!

BTB's Character module makes all the racial abilities equally bad-rear end. Hey, awesome!

So now, for example, every Dunmer starts every fight by summoning a normal-weapons-immune skullghost. And your normal weapons with enchantments are still normal, silver or get the fetch out

I think I've solidly recaptured the terrified feel of my first ignorant playthroughs.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 21, 2014

• Locked thread