Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Anyone Twitter users not following @DaveGeorgeson should do so. People tweet him pics of their creations, which obviously he retweets, and it's a constant stream of really interesting stuff and the odd real stunner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

HughGRect posted:

Maybe they will introduce some sort of passive crafting stations where you feed it ore before you log out, and when you log back in you have a bunch of processed materials.

This seems logical in the absence of being able to build/use a wall of refining stations (ovens) like in Minecraft where you can parallel the process well.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
I need as much marble as I can get from anyone playing, btw :)

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

HughGRect posted:

Maybe they will introduce some sort of passive crafting stations where you feed it ore before you log out, and when you log back in you have a bunch of processed materials.
Psh.

They tried that in SWG, and LOOK HOW THAT TURNED OUT! :arghfist::rolleyes:

If you're following the Twitter List mentioned (just after) the OP, you are already following him. :v:

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 21, 2014

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

Wow, so, my neighbor has just about the neatest thing I think I've seen in the game so far:

That is ridiculously cool. Can't wait to see stuff like Castle Greyskull/Peaches castle/Barney's Bowl-O-Rama/The Technodrome.

Christopher
May 29, 2006
Redacted

Thanks for the heads up! Had no idea they were only for a week. Definitely not worth it in that case.
\/

Christopher fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 22, 2014

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Those keys are each only good for 7 days. Why would they be $50 on ebay when permanent beta + digital items itself is $20 direct from sony :psyduck:. No one pay for these.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 22, 2014

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Christopher posted:

I'm going to go ahead an grab a Trailblazer pack. It includes 4 beta keys. I was intending on putting them on eBay but I figure I could first give goons a chance to grab them for $17.50 a piece (seen them go for up to $50 on eBay). If you buy one I prefer that you actually use it rather than sell it but I suppose you can do with it what you wish. Inbox me if you're interested. The first 4 people to inbox me have dibs.

So you can be a piece a poo poo but prefer that they aren't.

Christopher
May 29, 2006

jabro posted:

So you can be a piece a poo poo but prefer that they aren't.

Maybe you didn't read it right. I was going to put them on eBay initially but decided not to and added they could do whatever they wanted. No matter anyway. Didn't realize they were time limited so I'm just going to hand them out for free. Not to you though. Definitely not to you. ;)

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I am starting to feel the pain of not having enough claim space.

The estate of Unrest is not one that will fit easy into one claim alone. I easily need at least 2-3 to build the mansion alone.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

So, I started adding on a secret cavern below my castle.

Lets see where it leads.

Hmm, this seems familiar

Yes, yes I definitely think I've been here before...

Oh! Well hello there old friend!

How are you doing?

Its good to see you again!

I logged into that project 1999 server just to take accurate measurements of befallen, and had it laid out perfectly, however after plotting it all in mspaint It was going to be beyond the bounds of my claim. Like Al Borland just said, REALLY feeling the cramped claim area. So I had to cut the floorspace exactly in half, but this then hosed up the height, since I couldn't cut that exactly in half it ended up very stretched vertically. Still, I'm reasonably happy with how its come out so far, even if I Still have a lot of details and other rooms to add. (as much as I can fit that is... its probably ready to pop out the side of my mountain as it is.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Al Borland posted:

I am starting to feel the pain of not having enough claim space.

The estate of Unrest is not one that will fit easy into one claim alone. I easily need at least 2-3 to build the mansion alone.

Yeah, at this point I'm holding off until they let us extend claim space. Right now there just isn't enough room to build anything interesting.

I know it's on the roadmap for this segment of alpha so hopefully it'll be implemented soon. Maybe after the rental system goes in so that we don't end up with a ton of giant empty claims making GBS threads everything up.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

That is pretty fantastic though. Great job. I've been thinking about trying to rebuild the original Plane of Mischief some day when claim space opens up.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Yeah I don't really have anything to say besides: this owns, you own, and I look forward to more updates.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Awesome man, seeing this kind of stuff during alpha really has me pumped for Landmark.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Tom Guycot posted:

So, I started adding on a secret cavern below my castle.

Lets see where it leads.

Hmm, this seems familiar

Yes, yes I definitely think I've been here before...

Oh! Well hello there old friend!

How are you doing?

Its good to see you again!

I logged into that project 1999 server just to take accurate measurements of befallen, and had it laid out perfectly, however after plotting it all in mspaint It was going to be beyond the bounds of my claim. Like Al Borland just said, REALLY feeling the cramped claim area. So I had to cut the floorspace exactly in half, but this then hosed up the height, since I couldn't cut that exactly in half it ended up very stretched vertically. Still, I'm reasonably happy with how its come out so far, even if I Still have a lot of details and other rooms to add. (as much as I can fit that is... its probably ready to pop out the side of my mountain as it is.

The second I saw the first picture and the walls I knew what you were making. I'm a bit jealous it looks good, but you and I share the same awful fate, not enough space.

E: God drat i want to work on your befallen now. I could make you some spikes for heads.

E:2 Guycott where is your claim? Do /loc and give me the numbers I wanna come look at it.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 23, 2014

Huttan
May 15, 2013
Ye Gods! Befallen. I'm having PTSD flashbacks about keys.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Just saw this on twitter. I give up. My crap will never look this good. I am gonna go back to minecraft.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

That is ridiculous!

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

We are at the very beginning of EQNL and EQN is still quite some time away. And yet we already get jawdropping stuff like this. Oh. My. God.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Al Borland posted:

The second I saw the first picture and the walls I knew what you were making. I'm a bit jealous it looks good, but you and I share the same awful fate, not enough space.

E: God drat i want to work on your befallen now. I could make you some spikes for heads.

E:2 Guycott where is your claim? Do /loc and give me the numbers I wanna come look at it.

Thanks, it was seeing you making unrest that made me want to make something from eq, and befallen was the smallest memorable thing I could think of. I'm on liberation, crest, 1743.74, 1688.50, -1437.13 if anyone wants to stop on by, and I would love any help with making some of the stuff. I couldn't think of how to make the heads on pikes with the limitations so far, let alone the glowing eye skulls for the back wall.

I started working on it more last night and amazingly I can *almost* fit the entire first level of befallen (at my half sized scale) in so far. This is doubly impressive to me as my biggest problem is my claim is on the top of a mountain peak, so my underground space is artificially limited by a lot compared to my plot size. I really think if i had a whole underground plot to work with I could make the complete befallen, all 3 levels at half scale. That would have been cool.

If plot sizes can be increased enough, or join up with others plots, I would love to do a full sized version of this, or something in the final game. If there was enough control, and stuff over plots and land, it would be amazing to see a whole section of the final game world as a giant collaborative remaking of the eq1 geography. Hah.

EDIT: Also, anyone that does come by should check out my neighbor to the southeast, his place is really really cool.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Feb 24, 2014

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
Since all the cool kids are posting things, the thing I've been working on.

The street you see when you walk in:

Another angle

The whole surface of the complex:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I don't have anywhere near the talent I see in these constructions. This is the best I've mustered so far:

Not sure if I want to fill out the rest of my claim with different styles of skyscrapers or build something like a multi-storey car park.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Red Herring posted:

Since all the cool kids are posting things, the thing I've been working on.

The street you see when you walk in:

Another angle

The whole surface of the complex:

That's beautiful. When is EQNL supposed to launch proeprly?

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

That's beautiful. When is EQNL supposed to launch proeprly?

This stuff is AMAZING. I am totally making a video to showcase some of this great stuff.

ALl I made was a pillar of dirt that looks like a mixture of a pile of poo and a penis. =/

Huttan
May 15, 2013
Hmm. Apparently I suck really bad because my claim is just a flat pad with some crafting stations, a chair and lamp.

When your claim is near the top of some convex structure, and I want to make the whole top flat, I seem to get jagged edges where the slope comes up and then there is a vertical drop to my pad. How do I smooth out the transition? None of the tools (including the smoothing tool) seem to want to do what I want done.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Huttan posted:

Hmm. Apparently I suck really bad because my claim is just a flat pad with some crafting stations, a chair and lamp.

When your claim is near the top of some convex structure, and I want to make the whole top flat, I seem to get jagged edges where the slope comes up and then there is a vertical drop to my pad. How do I smooth out the transition? None of the tools (including the smoothing tool) seem to want to do what I want done.

Unclear exactly what you're asking without a picture, but you can either use the heal tool or manually construct a slope between your flat surface and the 'cliff edge', then use the smooth tool to smooth it and make it look more natural.

If you're talking about a sub 1 voxel jagged edge, then you should be able to just delete sideways to flatten it out, provided it's not at the very edge of your claim.

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
Wipe scheduled for 28th of Feb :negative:

Everything gets templated, but what about the geographyyyy what about the geographyyyyy!!!

Jubilee3rd
Dec 12, 2003

Red Herring posted:

Everything gets templated, but what about the geographyyyy what about the geographyyyyy!!!

Where'd you hear this? Checked the forums and didn't see anything but this is EXCITING!! I hope they have underground done, there is no reason I can think of to wipe otherwise.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Multiple wipes have already happened, I'd expect a fair few more.

You get all resources back and your claim templated for easy redeployment. All the same, I'd save convenience templates of pieces for copy + paste. You will likely be rebuilding on fresh ground so simply overlaying your old claim will probably cause issues.

I might level the ground on my new claim actually, just make a completely flat surface so I don't need to height adjust my buildings when I paste them in.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Red Herring posted:

Unless you know something I don't, you're misreading the wipe schedule. It's poorly worded.

quote:

Timing: Occurs at the end of Alpha testing, which begins on or before 2-28-14

Alpha begins on or before the 28th of Feb (quite a bit before, it turns out). The wipe happens at the end of Alpha, which will be some time before March 31st.

Munion
Apr 11, 2012

From what I know, Dave has said that they are announcing the first build competition this week(my guess is during live stream). So I don't really see a wipe till that is over so people can have resources ready to go and half the competition doesn't become grind for mats to make something cooler. Also, they have strongly suggested the next wipe will be when cave systems come in, so I can't wait for the next wipe actually.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Tom Guycot posted:

If plot sizes can be increased enough, or join up with others plots, I would love to do a full sized version of this, or something in the final game. If there was enough control, and stuff over plots and land, it would be amazing to see a whole section of the final game world as a giant collaborative remaking of the eq1 geography. Hah.

Stay in touch with me. I'm going to be buying a lot of land when the game goes live. If we buffer our claims out right we can get some prime area and make a bunch of dungeons from old EQ and other neat things.

IDK how station cash will tie into the game but I've got about 200 dollars (if they ever have a frigging double cash day again.) Just waiting to be pumped into the game.

E: I plan on making Guk, Qeynos, Freeport, Befallen (now), BlackBurrow, Butcherblock Chessboard, and a bunch of other things. I'm sure we'll attract a lot of people to it.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I haven't been in-game much lately due to a bunch of other stuff(Marvel Heroes, Loadout, and work) taking up my time buuuuut waiting until after the wipe to do more work on Frog Tower seems like it'll probably be the way to go, even if my progress so far has been kind of small.

Any word on new stuff coming with the wipe other than caverns? Glass maybe? Oceans? I know water itself is a ways off, but it would be nice to get the ocean in-game at least.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Is there anyway to terraform your plot in regards to adding trees, water, or grass?

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Noah posted:

Is there anyway to terraform your plot in regards to adding trees, water, or grass?

You can duplicate things like trees, plants and rocks that are already on your plot. Just right click on them and choose the duplicate option. You can't add naturally occuring props any other way, so you're out of luck if there weren't already some on your plot to begin with.

The textures for things like grass, dirt and natural stone were recently added as textures under the dirt option. You can use the paint or fill tool to retexture the ground in your plot. You can also hold down Alt to change your cursor into a material picker.

Water isn't currently implemented and won't be for a while. Some people use one of the blue minerals to imitate the look of water however.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Al Borland posted:

Stay in touch with me. I'm going to be buying a lot of land when the game goes live. If we buffer our claims out right we can get some prime area and make a bunch of dungeons from old EQ and other neat things.

IDK how station cash will tie into the game but I've got about 200 dollars (if they ever have a frigging double cash day again.) Just waiting to be pumped into the game.

E: I plan on making Guk, Qeynos, Freeport, Befallen (now), BlackBurrow, Butcherblock Chessboard, and a bunch of other things. I'm sure we'll attract a lot of people to it.

I would love to make neriak (well, really I'd like to remake the whole old world, but landscaping on that scale will surely be impossible.), but I'm kinda stuck on if I'd rather in the final game do remakes of these areas modernized, or like what I was doing with befallen and slavishly hold to the same structure and dimension and textures. ...Which is one of the easy things about most old world everquest locations, they are pretty much grid like in structure, simple and easy to copy as long as you have a frame of reference (the floor tiles in befallen were my reference, count the tiles and you know the size of any location in it, though I suppose with much less work and a frame of reference you could just use the eq atlas maps).

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Haven't seen these mentioned yet, this week was kinda meh; however, next weeks teasers look interesting.

Update notes on the alpha forums posted:

Here's what's going in with today's update!
• Added Chests in to the game! You can now craft 2 different chests (Ornate Small Chest and Simple Large Chest) at the Copper Reinforced Saw Table and the Cobalt Reinforced Saw Table. They can be placed on your claim and you can use them to store props, items and resources.
• Fixed the issue with embedded Intel chipsets that caused the world to only render with completely black textures. Laptop users can rejoice!
• Moving props around your claim should be easier and be more reliable. We will continue to improve this with upcoming updates.
• We added a tooltip to the recipe icon in the crafting window to show you what you would craft with that recipe.
• Fixed a number of client crashes and optimized a number of trouble spots as well.
• Dragging icons between windows should now be more reliable.
• The Force Hoop recipe was erroneously requiring 200 Elemental Rubicite. It now only requires 9!
• The teleporter window at the hub wouldn’t always pay attention to the first time you clicked on a world. Now it will.
• Templates and copy/paste will no longer grab procedurally-placed props from your claim.
• Fixed an error in the description on the Silversteel Pick.
• The mouse cursor will now update appropriately when over the light source props that can be turned on/off.
• Updated a few of the marble textures to look better/clearer.
• Fixed an issue where the location information wasn’t updating when you switched zones consistently.
• Now when you change zones it should clean up any oddities with animations from grappling to the spires.
• Updated most windows in preparation for localization. Please let us know if you see any weird or missing strings.
• Added a feedback message to the player when they submit a bug. Now you know when it successfully sends the bug!
• Several windows will now save their positions properly when closed using the Escape key.

And now for some of the stuff the team is hard at work on for next week’s update!
• A new smoothing tool that should allow for much more intuitive behavior and results!
• Claim permissions! When this is in, you’ll be able to work with friends to make even more amazing things!
• 12 new islands and 2 new biomes! This will include new materials to build with, new props and new areas of the world to explore.
• Attached claims! The ability to place another claim directly attached to an existing claim you own. This will allow for bigger builds or space to do more builds next to one another.

The question if this was going to coincide with a wipe was asked, here was the answer:

Smokejumper Dev Guy Dude posted:

We'll give you tons of warning before a wipe. Don't worry. (Next week is not a wipe.)

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 27, 2014

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

HughGRect posted:

• Attached claims! The ability to place another claim directly attached to an existing claim you own. This will allow for bigger builds or space to do more builds next to one another.

loving finally! Next weeks going to be big. :pervert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
I wonder how they plan to implement crafting additional claim flags and upkeep costs, given there's no currency in the game yet.

• Locked thread