Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

goatface posted:

That's completely plausible, scientists love a good acronym. I know that Astronomers like naming stuff things like VISTA (Visible and Infrared Survey Telescope for Astronomy), a wide survey instrument, PIONIER (Precision Integrated-Optics Near-infrared Imaging ExpeRiment), a novel new system, and CACTUS (Converted Atmospheric Cherenkov Telescope Using Solar-2) which is in a desert in California.

Or just plain dumb ones. Like the VLT (Very Large Telescope), and it's planned successor the ELT (Extremely Large Telescope). There was even proposed the OLT (Overwhelmingly Large Telescope), but that got rejected.
I always assumed evil organisations with acronym fever were founded by the US congress. The USA PATRIOT act is a well known example of their linguistic gymnastics but they've also given us the STOCK, PROTECT, SPEECH, HEARTH, DART, FOR VETS, CAN SPAM and PROTECT IP acts. It's an addiction. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

goatface posted:

Or just plain dumb ones. Like the VLT (Very Large Telescope), and it's planned successor the ELT (Extremely Large Telescope). There was even proposed the OLT (Overwhelmingly Large Telescope), but that got rejected.

Obligatory XKCD. Though, for this thread, it should probably also include a Thanos Telescope and Darkseid Telescope.
Telescope Names http://xkcd.com/1294/

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

goatface posted:

No Big Large Telescope?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Superior Spider-Man Team-Up #10: Daredevil and Punisher are accompanying Spider-Man to his base to see if there are any traitors in his ranks and it turns out there are lots of them actually! Pretty much the only reason Frank came though is because he wants his Goblin Glider back. He stole it fair and square and then he found it missing from one of his weapon caches and he's sure Spidey's goons took it.

"It's got a loving skull on it!" Frank Castle knows how important it is to maintain a brand.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

EDIT: Here are the House of M and Civil War ones

"PARKER: YOU'RE FIRED!"
That's exactly what anyone would want on a JJJ comics.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I didn't even know Punisher had his own Goblin Glider.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I still miss Rucka's Solid Snake Punisher but... yeah, I think I can make an exception for this.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I know he used the glider during a team up with Anti-Venom before; he's had a whole array of items from various superheroes, taken from dealers who stole them and sold them on the black market, such as:

1) A replicate Captain America shield

2) Iron Man's gauntlets

3) Ant Man's helmet

That's what I can recall at the moment.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I know he used the glider during a team up with Anti-Venom before; he's had a whole array of items from various superheroes, taken from dealers who stole them and sold them on the black market, such as:

1) A replicate Captain America shield

2) Iron Man's gauntlets

3) Ant Man's helmet

That's what I can recall at the moment.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Please tell me the beams those gauntlets fire are also skull shaped.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004
He even snagged a set of Deadpool pouches. Hope he disinfected those.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It'll turn out Frank also has a replica infinity gauntlet with replica infinity gems

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

AnonSpore posted:

It'll turn out Frank also has a replica infinity gauntlet with replica infinity gems

Every one of them is the Death Gem.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gavok posted:

Every one of them is the Death Gem.

This sounds like something DC would do.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I like that he even bothered to put the skull right on the repulsor. Hopefully every single arrow has a skull on it too.

e: Oh God the Ant-Man helmet has the skull on it too, I just didn't catch it because of the reflective gleam. That page is glorious.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 21, 2014

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

TwoPair posted:

I like that he even bothered to put the skull right on the repulsor. Hopefully every single arrow has a skull on it too.

They're on the arrowheads so that the last thing you ever see is the Punisher skull.

I bet Frank has it trademarked.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Part of me wonders 'Would he bother with the paperwork?' And I'm not entirely sure. He's law-abiding apart from the vigilantism. But that would get him arrested on the spot if he filed the forms.

Hmm.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bloodly posted:

Part of me wonders 'Would he bother with the paperwork?' And I'm not entirely sure. He's law-abiding apart from the vigilantism. But that would get him arrested on the spot if he filed the forms.

Hmm.

Frank frequently buys illegal weaponry and I'm certainly he carries weapons into places it is illegal to do so. I doubt he's worried about paperwork.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bloodly posted:

Part of me wonders 'Would he bother with the paperwork?' And I'm not entirely sure. He's law-abiding apart from the vigilantism.

Man last I checked he lived in a van with equipment weapons, clothes and food all scavenged from the people he murders.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Frank finally retires and lives a life supported by Punisher Skull merchandise.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

A+X 17. Broo shadows Tony:

The Thor panel is how most Thor comics sound to me.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

notthegoatseguy posted:

This is awesome.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

notthegoatseguy posted:

So much greatness on that page. And I'd probably react the same way Broo does in that fourth panel. Cosmic heroes are :coal: :allears:

"Friggenjorm"

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
His little flying scooter is amazing, and totally the kind of thing Tony would have lying around.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

prefect posted:

So much greatness on that page. And I'd probably react the same way Broo does in that fourth panel. Cosmic heroes are :coal: :allears:

"Friggenjorm"

Broo is awesome and I hope they never decide to send him on a bus New x-men style.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

bobkatt013 posted:

Broo is awesome and I hope they never decide to send him on a bus New x-men style.

They almost did, once. It was a scary time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Fuego Fish posted:

They almost did, once. It was a scary time.

He got better! It also was part of the Hellfire kid storyline, so it was not as bad as exploding bus.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, I always got the impression that Broo was only temporarily incapacitated. Considering the history of X-kids that might have been a bit naive, but it all worked out.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The look on Broo's face in that final panel is priceless. Although Stark is asking an alien if he wants to go into space.

Bloody Holly
May 29, 2007

the George Washington of breadfucking

Vincent posted:

"PARKER: YOU'RE FIRED!"
That's exactly what anyone would want on a JJJ comics.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
Remember that Marvel Comic Exercise Book one of the goons posted earlier?

Well, JJJ had an exercise in it as well.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Yesterday he crashed into a condemned building. Jonah's just being a gigantic dick with this suit and it's great. 'Spiderman? Hang on, gotta fly through this dude's bathroom.'

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You'd think a guy who was around for Chuck Yeager would know about the speed of sound.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
You'd think a guy who knows the figure for the speed of light - in imperial, no less - would know it's not the speed of sound.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

goatface posted:

His little flying scooter is amazing, and totally the kind of thing Tony would have lying around.

It wasn't. Broo built it out of spare parts.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Phy posted:

You'd think a guy who knows the figure for the speed of light - in imperial, no less - would know it's not the speed of sound.

Whenever he's had a question he just yells it outside for his secretary to look up the answer to. He knows literally nothing other than what'll sell papers.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Technically Jonah's right, Iron Man's suit won't fly at the speed of light.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This is why he needs Robbie Robertson, to call him on this poo poo.

In fact I hope that is how the arc ends. Robbie just shows up and says,"Oh come ON Jonah! :mad:"

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

This is why he needs Robbie Robertson, to call him on this poo poo.

In fact I hope that is how the arc ends. Robbie just shows up and says,"Oh come ON Jonah! :mad:"

That's actually literally the plot so far - JJJ pushed Robbie to quit/fired him, and Jameson's spiralling out of control without him. God, this comic keeps topping itself. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Green Bean posted:

That's actually literally the plot so far - JJJ pushed Robbie to quit/fired him, and Jameson's spiralling out of control without him. God, this comic keeps topping itself. :allears:

Oh wow that is amazing. That means Robbie HAS to be the one to come save the day :haw:

• Locked thread