Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Honestly (and stupidly), the King story that's scared me the most is The Moving Finger.

The Answer: Because they can.
The Question: "Why do bad things happen to good people?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

If you haven't already seen it the movie "in the mouth of madness" presents this situation really well...

Do you read Sutter Cane?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

Do you read Sutter Cane?

Great movie though, on all counts. The innkeeper, the church, the perpetual bicyclist (with bicycle cards for the spokes). Spot on.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
My new favorite Kingism is him referring to a rape victim recounting her experience as "palpable bitchery".

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I just read Apt Pupil. great story.

I love the line "It was a gas stove. He rarely used it for anything fancier than TV dinners and killing stray cats." just brilliant writing there is no other context in which that has been or ever will be used again in all of human discourse

how is the moviefilm of it

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

...of SCIENCE! posted:

My new favorite Kingism is him referring to a rape victim recounting her experience as "palpable bitchery".

Part of me wants to believe that was a joke.

The rest of me remembers how awkward he is about everything. Mercy, please.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Ein cooler Typ posted:

how is the moviefilm of it

Tim Curry is Pennywise. I think that's enough of a reason to watch it at least once.

That said, I have a VHS copy of IT over here on my shelf and I can't remember a drat thing about it.

edit: You're referring to the film of Apt Pupil, aren't you? Not IT, but "it" as in that. Never mind. I never saw that adaptation.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 14, 2014

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Tim Curry is Pennywise. I think that's enough of a reason to watch it at least once.

That said, I have a VHS copy of IT over here on my shelf and I can't remember a drat thing about it.

I thought Ein cooler Typ was asking about the Apt Pupil movie. I haven't seen that in a decade at least but it has Ian McKellen and I remember thinking that the 'grooming' of a nazi youth was really sick nasty.

I've seen the It DVD so many times that I can't help but read the book in John Ritter, Annette O'Toole and Tim Reid voices.

Even reading 11/22/63 I was torn between Seth Green and Harry (Night Court) Anderson for Richie.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Wasn't he referring to the article?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

3Romeo posted:

Wasn't he referring to the article?

Yes, but it's more fun to ignore that and pretend like King supports raping children.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

Yes, but it's more fun to ignore that and pretend like King supports raping children.

Well...I mean...Dolores Claiborne and Gerald's Game.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

King just hates children. Not that he wants to see them raped, you understand, he just really hates kids.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Ornamented Death posted:

Yes, but it's more fun to ignore [context] and pretend like [celebrity] supports [something hideous].

This is my favorite thing about the internet.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
Do not see "Apt pupil" the movie.

That is all.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

That is all.

Well now I HAVE to watch it again.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

That is all.

It's the worst of the Different Seasons movies, but it has its moments, and also Ian McKellen.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

rypakal posted:

It's the worst of the Different Seasons movies, but it has its moments, and also Ian McKellen.

And David Schwimmer, so I kept waiting for him to yell "we were on a break."

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

joepinetree posted:

And David Schwimmer, so I kept waiting for him to yell "we were on a break."

Didn't work for the Jews.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Did anyone else see Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close and think 'that kid is going to go in to Max von Sydow's apartment and see him all dressed up in Nazi regalia'?

I think the character was actually a holocaust survivor or something but German = evil and he had a hidden past so that's where my brain went with it.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I recently started reading "Under the Dome and am about half way through. The day I read that he said that I opted not to read that night because I was really disappointed. I still find I have to really concentrate that he didn't say it to enjoy the book right now, personally.
I think my least favourite Kingism is how he writes kids, I haven't read IT (likely will soon because of this very thread) but always find it really like "Middle Aged man writing how he thinks kids talk".

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Toriori posted:

I recently started reading "Under the Dome and am about half way through. The day I read that he said that I opted not to read that night because I was really disappointed. I still find I have to really concentrate that he didn't say it to enjoy the book right now, personally.
I think my least favourite Kingism is how he writes kids, I haven't read IT (likely will soon because of this very thread) but always find it really like "Middle Aged. man writing how he thinks kids talk".

He's much better at writing boys who grew up in the 50s since he was one.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

rypakal posted:

He's much better at writing boys who grew up in the 50s since he was one.

Absolutely. I just cringed in Under the Dome towards the beginning with skateboard talk and the language used between the ambulance driver and the boy as he is getting stitches up, I'd quote it but the book is in my room and I'm...not in my room.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Toriori posted:

were you literally shakeing

Fascist Funk
Dec 18, 2007
Hey guys what is going on on this site

Is this from The Jerk?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

3Romeo posted:

were you literally shakeing

I lay in bed clenching my fists, my nails leaving bloody crescents in my palms.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fascist Funk posted:

Is this from The Jerk?

Yes. It's the part where the guy who shot up all the cans finally catches up with him.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

Toriori posted:

Absolutely. I just cringed in Under the Dome towards the beginning with skateboard talk and the language used between the ambulance driver and the boy as he is getting stitches up, I'd quote it but the book is in my room and I'm...not in my room.

I remember when I first reread Under the Dome, I was cruising along, thinking "man this book is fantastic, why did I wait so long to pick it up again" and almost immediately, ran into the skater talk. Just horrifying.

Braking Gnus fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 16, 2014

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Reading Pet Sematary, I was struck about how well the funeral scene is written. It was written in such a way that it actually reminded me of my father's funeral, both in the way he describes the awkwardness of "receiving" people for the funeral and the way the traditional aphorisms ("he is in a better place") bugged me.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

joepinetree posted:

Reading Pet Sematary, I was struck about how well the funeral scene is written. It was written in such a way that it actually reminded me of my father's funeral, both in the way he describes the awkwardness of "receiving" people for the funeral and the way the traditional aphorisms ("he is in a better place") bugged me.

Oh absolutely!

The previous chapter with Gage flying a kite and so happy immediately switching into the post funeral gathering with almost unbearable.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It was like a nightmarish version of Curb Your Enthusiasm, or it at least gave me a similar sort of cringing feeling.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

Oh absolutely!

The previous chapter with Gage flying a kite and so happy immediately switching into the post funeral gathering with almost unbearable.

My mother read it as soon as it came out. I was 4 years old. After the post-kid-run-over nightmare Louis has, my mother locked it in a drawer :getin:

I'd really like to reread it sometime, but my 6 year old niece and 8 year old nephew keep me from doing so.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

My mother read it as soon as it came out. I was 4 years old. After the post-kid-run-over nightmare Louis has, my mother locked it in a drawer :getin:

I'd really like to reread it sometime, but my 6 year old niece and 8 year old nephew keep me from doing so.

It's the most emotionally devestating Stephen King book I read *before* I had kids. I keep think I should give it a reread, but I can't imagine.

I've literally had a 2 year old dart towards traffic (much slower moving and smaller, but still). Pure terror.

Pet Sematary the supernatural horror is almost secondary, because he does real life terror so well in that book.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pet Sematary has layers of horror beyond anything else King has ever written. Every time I re-read it, I find something else to be scared of.

I feel it is easily the scariest book he's ever written.

It's not his best work overall (I'd probably say that his best was IT or one of the big three "S" books (Shining, Salem's Lot, Stand)), but it's certainly his scariest.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I've said this before, but for me the scariest bit part about Pet Sematary was the fact that you know exactly what's going to happen. It's like a cheesy horror flick where the one kid goes down to the basement on his own while a slasher demon is out trying to get them. You know exactly what's going to happen, and why it's a bad idea. When reading Pet Sematary, though, it's constantly in the back of your mind that if you were in the same position, even if you knew beforehand your kid is probably going to come back as some undead demon if at all, you'd probably still take chance because what if he's the exception and does come back 'normally'?

I don't even have kids, but still the overwhelming grief and resultant insanity, that tiny spark of hope and the horrific events and outcomes scare the crap out of me because I feel I would probably do the exact same things.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

Taeke posted:

I've said this before, but for me the scariest bit part about Pet Sematary was the fact that you know exactly what's going to happen. It's like a cheesy horror flick where the one kid goes down to the basement on his own while a slasher demon is out trying to get them. You know exactly what's going to happen, and why it's a bad idea. When reading Pet Sematary, though, it's constantly in the back of your mind that if you were in the same position, even if you knew beforehand your kid is probably going to come back as some undead demon if at all, you'd probably still take chance because what if he's the exception and does come back 'normally'?

I don't even have kids, but still the overwhelming grief and resultant insanity, that tiny spark of hope and the horrific events and outcomes scare the crap out of me because I feel I would probably do the exact same things.

Came here to post this!

The book is a slow moving disaster that you can see coming but just cant stop. At ANY point he could have stopped the whole thing in its tracks (and nearly does a couple of times) but it just grinds on towards its inevitable tragedy.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Taeke posted:

Pascow, on the other hand, is an incompetent friendly ghost who actually made things worse.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

This looks like it may be worth a watch when released; my morbid fascination with that book endures 20 years after reading it.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I just finished the Dark Tower saga. I read the first three books in about a month and it took almost a year to slog through the last four books. I guess I'll spoiler everything even though I probably don't need to.\

The first three books were all good reads, I'm sure most people agree on that. Things fell apart in Wizard and Glass with the endless Meijis sidestory that ultimately had almost zero impact on anything later in the story. While well written and mostly interesting, the tone was just so different than what we had just recently seen with the Lud and Blaine stuff that it was tough to get through.

I see a lot of hate for Wolves of the Calla; in my opinion it felt like an optional side-quest in an RPG that you only really do for completionist's sake. The gang was in the town for like a month and didn't do much of anything except dance and jump in hay bales until the obvious robots showed up and were easily destroyed. As far as I'm aware, it was never explained why the Wolves brought the roont children back so it was a fairly useless subplot anyway. I did really like Callahan and was very upset with the way his story ultimately ended, but I'll get to that.

Song of Susannah may have been one of the worst books I've ever read, it doesn't help that I absolutely hated everything to do with Susannah/Odetta/Detta since King isn't exactly great about writing women. The only part of that book I recall liking was the initial visit to the Dixie Pig. It primarily focused on the Susannah/Mia baby Mordred story which of course ended up having almost no bearing on the final plot of the main story. Also, they nonchalantly left Black 13 in a storage locker at the WTC and it never affected anyone else from that point until it was buried in the rubble? Ugh. Finally, Steven King interjecting himself as a real character who created the whole thing was quite an unpleasant turn of events. On the positive, I did like some of the stuff with Roland and Eddie in Maine dealing with Tower/Deepneau.

The Dark Tower book 7, well where to begin...
-The battle at the Dixie Pig and death of Callahan was a huge letdown. I was expecting a huge standoff or massacre, instead he sacrifices himself so Jake can run away and find his True Friends. For a guy who had handled himself around vampires pretty well for years, he didn't really go out on a strong note.
-Mordred, hours after being born and in a weakened state, kills Powerful Wizard Randall Flagg/Walter basically at will and without any real reason. I was so looking forward to an inevitable Roland/Walter showdown, but for whatever reason King decided the Crimson King was a better final boss even though he was only alluded to for the past couple of books and really had no importance in Roland's life.
-The deaths: Basically every main death was poorly done. Prentiss was shot in the back of the head by Roland, they're going around capping anyone still moving and he somehow still gets a headshot on Eddie. Must be ka. Jake's death was possibly worse; instead of their truck just ramming into the van about to hit King, he jumps out and takes the hit for him. What makes less sense was that Roland forced that woman to drive the truck even though she had her own car there that she was more familiar with. Oy's death at least made sense, protecting Roland from Mordred, but Mordred went out like a wet fart.
-Whatever Patrick drew essentially came to life based on the description of the animals that got closer and Susannah's disappearing wart. So, how about drawing a loving car to get them to the tower more quickly? "This journey has to be one foot"...uh, ok Roland.

I'm sure I could keep going, but drat am I ever glad I didn't wait 34 years to read this stunning conclusion.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Welp, I guess I can't really argue about books five on, but I thought book four (Wizard and Glass) was poignant, heart-wrenching, and a very long, hard look at Roland becoming the hardass he became. Through loss and sorrow and guilt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I think Wizard and Glass is a great book for those exact reasons, but it's not a great addition to the Dark Tower series proper. Things really started picking up steam at the end of The Wastelands and them BAM, 600-page flashback.