Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I don't particularly see how this works this year. Two years ago, I got a link and refreshed like a motherfucker until the time and got a number in line. Please explain in smile-as-possible terms for this poor simpleton!

Also, since Wednesday and Saturday were sold out for pre-reg, does that fall over for normal registration, you think? Are all of us normal, sad individuals screwed over to get only two days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Pan Dulce posted:

I don't particularly see how this works this year. Two years ago, I got a link and refreshed like a motherfucker until the time and got a number in line. Please explain in smile-as-possible terms for this poor simpleton!

Also, since Wednesday and Saturday were sold out for pre-reg, does that fall over for normal registration, you think? Are all of us normal, sad individuals screwed over to get only two days?

No, they set aside X number for the alumni, and the rest are in the general sale pool. There will be a handful of Wednesday badges available, and plenty of the other 4 days.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Beast of Bourbon posted:

Trade Pro reg went really smoothly. I was hitting it at 9:59 and getting a 'you must wait until 10am' and then I refreshed, logged in and checked out inside of about 2 minutes with the website working just great. Already got my confirmation email.

Were you able to buy for friends?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Pan Dulce posted:

I think you can buy more days when regular sales open in the Spring. We wont know until then.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Pan Dulce posted:

Here's how it worked this year for alumni.
You were given a link and an individual registration code as well as a day and time when registration would open.
At the appointed time, you had 2 hours to enter the waiting room. It didn't matter if you showed up 2 hours or 2 minutes early, you had the same chance of tickets according to CCI. Also, because you had an individual registration code, you couldn't have multiple sessions opened. I confirmed this. It took the last session you had open and kills the other sessions.
When the waiting room closed (2 hours from the first time), everyone waiting was randomized and given a place in line. Sadly we never saw what place in line we were but there was a line. Every 2 minutes, your page would refresh. If you got to the front of the line, you could buy tickets for yourself and up to 2 other people (who had alumni member IDs).
And that's the nuts and bolts. It was orderly and because refreshing the page was utterly detrimental to you, there was no server issue.

Here's what I see happening for gen-pop.
You're required to have a member ID already, I see them sending out individual reg codes to everyone.
Another Saturday, probably early March (I could see March 8th, or 15th THESE DATES ARE CONJECTURE BASED IN NO SOLID FACT). 7 AM PST waiting room opens, 9 AM PST registration actually opens.
Lots of people who don't get tickets saying the whole thing was rigged.

This is sadly the only fair way to do ticket dispersal since they've created a nasty rush. Yes, I still blame them for this mess, it was never this bad until they made a big deal out of the ticket release date.

Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

Does anyone know if you already bought tickets to the pre-reg will they allow you to use your member id to log on and purchase open sale tickets for others?

I would assume yes since they let you keep your place in line and buy for others if your ticket was already bought but I'm completely unconvinced of anything that they've even confirmed being true.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I feel like next purchasing round we should use a buddy system because straight up going "who needs a ticket i need a ticket" is not working.

Who wanna be my buddy?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

I feel like next purchasing round we should use a buddy system because straight up going "who needs a ticket i need a ticket" is not working.

Who wanna be my buddy?

How many tickets are you going for?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

RevKrule posted:

How many tickets are you going for?

Just one

wanna be my buddy?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

Just one

wanna be my buddy?

I'll be your buddy. I'm not going for even one ticket so that helps :)
We should get someone else who wants 1 or 2 tickets. Then we have 3-4 people trying to get tickets. Odds in numbers.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

RevKrule posted:

I'll be your buddy. I'm not going for even one ticket so that helps :)
We should get someone else who wants 1 or 2 tickets. Then we have 3-4 people trying to get tickets. Odds in numbers.

Just to confirm if one person buys for another that other person is locked out of buying for themselves right?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

Just to confirm if one person buys for another that other person is locked out of buying for themselves right?

Yes. If you try and buy a ticket after someone's already bought, it'll say something along the lines of "Someone's already purchased tickets for this member ID"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

RevKrule posted:

Yes. If you try and buy a ticket after someone's already bought, it'll say something along the lines of "Someone's already purchased tickets for this member ID"

Let's do it, anyone want in on this love triangle

clearlydemon
Feb 21, 2007

Me! I want to buy 2 tickets.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I'm buying two tickets, but I'm wondering if this buddy system would work if all of us band together, try to access the site, and see which two (since it seems there's more than three tickets wanted) gets the best spot in the "line." I'm assuming other goons will want in on this the closer we get to the con date, so we should create a giant goon web of individuals with valid member IDs taking a stab in the dark on each computer for this randomized hell-hole.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Pan Dulce posted:

I'm buying two tickets, but I'm wondering if this buddy system would work if all of us band together, try to access the site, and see which two (since it seems there's more than three tickets wanted) gets the best spot in the "line." I'm assuming other goons will want in on this the closer we get to the con date, so we should create a giant goon web of individuals with valid member IDs taking a stab in the dark on each computer for this randomized hell-hole.

If its like the Alumni order, you won't see your place in line. You just wait until the system tells you you're in. Combined with the fact you can't order tickets once someone else has ordered some for you, the only useful setup is discrete groupings of three tickets.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Neraren posted:

Combined with the fact you can't order tickets once someone else has ordered some for you,

If someone buys your ticket before you get to the front of the line, you could still buy 3 tickets for others when its your turn. At least that's how it worked in the pre sale.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
No, you can't.

Punkin Donuts posted:

Well that was awesome. I got in, put in my CC#, hit Continue, and then the page seemed to time out for about 5 minutes. The page finally refreshed to one that said "You have already completed your badge purchase. Additional badge purchases are not possible." I didn't receive a confirmation page or anything, so now instead of waiting to get in, I get to wait to see if I get a confirmation email. Any idea what sort of delay there is in receiving the confirmation emails?

Shawn posted:

I'm hearing others say that if someone else got you tickets its not letting you get them for others.

Edit: just saw last post confirm this. :(

Edit2: secured 4 day

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Neraren posted:

No, you can't.

You can if you start with a different member ID.

The process works that once you get into the front of the line, you can put in any valid member ID you want to buy tickets for. It doesn't have to be yours, it just needs to be 1) a member ID 2) valid 3) not currently with tickets.

Let's run though a scenario similar to the one I did on registration day for alumni. There are 3 people in this scenario, member ids for aguy agirl afriend bfriend, all of which are vying for tickets.

Afriend gets in first with their member ID and buys for afriend, bfriend and aguy. This leaves agirl still needing tickets. So aguy, bfriend and agirl all stay in queue waiting (please note, 2 of these people already had their tickets purchased). Aguy gets to the front of the queue next. Did it tell him he couldn't buy tickets? Not yet. It asked for a member ID. He puts in agirl and proceeds to purchase those tickets without an issue.

If you're playing at home, aguy was able to purchase tickets for agirl even though he already had his own ticket purchased. Just because your ticket has been purchased doesn't mean you should hop out of queue if you still have people you want to get tickets for.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Neraren posted:

No, you can't.

Yeah if you follow further down the thread I figured out that I couldn't put my name and member id and actually did manage to buy for someone else.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Shawn posted:

Yeah if you follow further down the thread I figured out that I couldn't put my name and member id and actually did manage to buy for someone else.

I stand corrected then, though I imagine people buying tickets for three different people could get very messy with resolving who owes who.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Agreed, we should probably stick to 2 people tops.

Someone should make a buddy system google doc or something

*looks at Dr Tran*

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Early bird hotel reservation is now open
http://comic-con.org/toucan/comic-con-international-2014-early-bird-hotels-are-open

These are the lovely faraway hotels. However, they are cheaper.

Alan Smithee posted:

Agreed, we should probably stick to 2 people tops.

Someone should make a buddy system google doc or something

*looks at Dr Tran*

Alright. iamnotdrtran at the gmails.
Put "Goon Con" in the subject line.
Send me the number in your party. Do not bug me if your credit card doesn't have enough for 3 people. Do not send me your credit card number. I will simply pair you guys into groups and make you contact each other. I am not liable for anything.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Am I the only one who thinks they're running their timeline weird this year? Like badge sales were shoved way into this year but never did a time shift for everything else.

I could see a scenario where people having to try and get their hotel before they even know they have tickets at this rate.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dr Tran posted:

Early bird hotel reservation is now open
http://comic-con.org/toucan/comic-con-international-2014-early-bird-hotels-are-open

Alright. iamnotdrtran at the gmails.
Put "Goon Con" in the subject line.
Send me the number in your party. Do not bug me if your credit card doesn't have enough for 3 people. Do not send me your credit card number. I will simply pair you guys into groups and make you contact each other. I am not liable for anything.

Cool, me, Revkrule and Pan Dulce I guess.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr Tran posted:

No kidding, man these are inconvenient.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Cheap
Close
Spacious

Pick one

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Sire Oblivion posted:

No kidding, man these are inconvenient.

I had a Mission Bay hotel last year for the first day or two and it worked perfectly fine. I was lucky with placement, but shuttles ran every 10 min or less, and it only took me 20 to get downtown (and I got to meet/talk to people on the trip, on the way).

I worked my way into a downtown one later, though, and preferred it, obviously, but Mission Bay wasn't really a pain, just not as good. It is worth the saved money if money is an issue, I'd say.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

If I had to take a stab, I'd say registration is gonna be next Saturday.
http://www.comic-con.org/toucan/attending-comic-con-101-open-online-registration

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
It says if you bought preview night, you are not eligible for open registration.

I have a 4-day badge from pre-registration. I logged into member-id and it says I'm okay for open registration. So if you want to upgrade to preview night, the option is there.

Dr Tran fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 6, 2014

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

We screwed up everything this year. We've been getting professional badge +1 for the last 4 years but we missed the fact that we are now considered a "creative professional" rather than a "trade professional" so we missed our time to buy a ticket. Then until that blog post hit we didn't realize we needed a member ID for both of us and registration is closed so we can't even try to purchase normal tickets.

Its our own fault but extremely bummed we missed any chance of going for the first time in years.

Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

They usually open up member id reg before the resale, don't they?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Oh drat, I hope for several of my friends' sakes that they open member ID registration before open sales. But the page does say it'll reopen AFTER open sales, wah wahhhh.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

bobula posted:

Oh drat, I hope for several of my friends' sakes that they open member ID registration before open sales. But the page does say it'll reopen AFTER open sales, wah wahhhh.

Member ID registration was open basically up until they made this announcement. There was more than enough time to get a member ID. It's free and takes like 10 minutes to setup.

If your friends even thought they might want to go, they should've created an account.

Jarnet posted:

They usually open up member id reg before the resale, don't they?

Yes, probably the day after open sales, they'll open up registration again. At this point you can shoot for resales.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
:siren: OPEN REGISTRATION IS THIS SATURDAY AT 9AM PT :siren:

I only got 1 reply in trying to organize you people. I'm cutting you guys off Friday night at 9PM PT. Anything after that and I'm deleting it right away.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Woo!!! Called it!

Also, I'm helping Alan Smithee and Pan Dulce if they still need it as long as my wife gets a reg code. Just fyi for you two, if there's a chance I can get her preview night, I'm taking it, otherwise I'm there to help you two (three?) get better odds on passes.

Feel free to coordinate with me: rallyv (at) gmail

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

RevKrule posted:

Woo!!! Called it!

Also, I'm helping Alan Smithee and Pan Dulce if they still need it as long as my wife gets a reg code. Just fyi for you two, if there's a chance I can get her preview night, I'm taking it, otherwise I'm there to help you two (three?) get better odds on passes.

Feel free to coordinate with me: rallyv (at) gmail

Cool, Pan Dulce you were the people we crashed with 2012 right?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Sorry just to clarify - if I already bought my badge during the previous sale (no preview night) can I still buy badges for others? If yes, I can help someone out that wants to get an extra try.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
Any groups I can get on in as military? I see their prices are a bit cheaper and I wanted to get them at that price? But I don't know how their verification or so for military works. I just wanted two badges for a day or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

squarerandom posted:

Any groups I can get on in as military? I see their prices are a bit cheaper and I wanted to get them at that price? But I don't know how their verification or so for military works. I just wanted two badges for a day or two.

Haha

• Locked thread