Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Obsurveyor posted:

It really kind of sucks that underground missions really hamstring Air Raiders. We should get our vehicle spawned immediately but only get one.
Limpet guns and roller bombs absolutely own underground though, so they aren't helpless.

That said, it's wing diver or nothing for underground missions for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
If you have not tried the Long Range Hand Grenade that the Ranger class gets, you owe it to yourself to give a a whirl. The animation is hilarious, and the feeling of dropping that bad boy in the middle of a bunch of giant insects a 1/2 mile away is incredible.

But the true natural enemy of giant insects is FLYING WOMEN, of course.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I Greyhound posted:

But the true natural enemy of giant insects is FLYING WOMEN, of course.

At least according to Professor Smugface McWrongAllTheTime.

"The Wing Divers are the natural enemy of giant insects! Nothing can possibly slow them down, and their mobility is unmatched!"

Cue Wing Divers getting caught in webs.

"Now that we've defeated the Retiarius spiders and their nets, nothing can stop us, because as we all know, there is no such thing as flying giant insects!"

Cue hornets.

I'm only on mission 42 so far - is there anything that this guy says that isn't immediately proven wrong in the most catastrophic way possible?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

Limpet guns and roller bombs absolutely own underground though, so they aren't helpless.

Yeah Limpets are what I use. It just sucks we get a whole unusable slot for those missions.

quote:

It's Air Raider or nothing for every mission for me. :)

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Aphrodite posted:

Did anyone else buy this in Canada for the 360?

Mine shipped late so I ended up buying it on Live, and planned to return the copy I get in the mail. It just came in today, and it sounds like there's something loose in there. Feels too heavy to be a disc but I have no idea what it is. I can't open it to check.

Did the disc come on a tray or something? Maybe that broke loose somehow.

My 360 copy from Amazon came off the spindle and was rattling about (I'm in the US, but I doubt that matters). There's nothing else issue the case. I was worried it would be scratched to hell, but it installed fine!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Every other class besides Wing Diver just feels so loving slow. Even Fencers with dash-cancelling. While they're all setting up their stupid explosives I'm in with my chainsaw and all the bugs/robots/robot bugs are dead. I wish I hadn't started with Wing Diver because I think it's ruined the other classes for me.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
"Dammit I forgot my bullets!"

Never change EDF. Never ever change.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I don't know if it's a hidden mechanic or a bug but not being able to revive people is so frustrating. I get the prompt maybe a third of the time. I have a feeling if someone's body ragdolls away from the spot they died may be causing it, but haven't tested it. Meanwhile people revive me everytime, I don't get it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Knightmare posted:

I don't know if it's a hidden mechanic or a bug but not being able to revive people is so frustrating. I get the prompt maybe a third of the time. I have a feeling if someone's body ragdolls away from the spot they died may be causing it, but haven't tested it. Meanwhile people revive me everytime, I don't get it.

It costs health to revive people. If you don't have enough health you can't revive them.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Knightmare posted:

You have to have a green bar to revive, it can't be flashing. You split your health in half with the person you revive.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, for this reason, hoarding health powerups isn't particularly a problem as long as you intend to revive people if they go down. Unless you're taking them when you're at full health though, that would be just dumb.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
My partner and I are trying to get ahold of this game on PSN despite living in New Zealand, is there an easy way to put points onto a US account to get it? Everything we're trying seems to wind up in failure, and I know I've done this before.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Luceid posted:

My partner and I are trying to get ahold of this game on PSN despite living in New Zealand, is there an easy way to put points onto a US account to get it? Everything we're trying seems to wind up in failure, and I know I've done this before.

Can you buy a digital code on Amazon.com and use that?

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Obsurveyor posted:

Can you buy a digital code on Amazon.com and use that?

That's how I got one last time, but this time I threw a friend's address in there and it never quite cleared, so now the order is sitting in limbo waiting for someone to manually check it. I don't expect much on that front, and we're dying for some EDF/vicious drinking sessions.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Kammat posted:

Never change EDF. Never ever change.

"I don't believe that!"

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

ImpAtom posted:

It costs health to revive people. If you don't have enough health you can't revive them.

Holy poo poo thanks! That makes sense. I must be running around low on health all the time.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

randombattle posted:

"I don't believe that!"
Once I had this like ten line long conversation with another player in multiplayer just using the chat macros, it looked like that. It was so funny.

The US version DOES have the chat macro system, right?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Once I had this like ten line long conversation with another player in multiplayer just using the chat macros, it looked like that. It was so funny.

It certainly does.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I have no idea I don't have gold so I just get to listen to the AI guys sing and be merry until they die and try to run away from every battle.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ImpAtom posted:

Every other class besides Wing Diver just feels so loving slow. Even Fencers with dash-cancelling. While they're all setting up their stupid explosives I'm in with my chainsaw and all the bugs/robots/robot bugs are dead. I wish I hadn't started with Wing Diver because I think it's ruined the other classes for me.

I played as Wing Diver when I originally played the Japanese version, and yeah, she's highly mobile and deals good damage. Sure. But when Fencer gets going, it gets going so hard it's hilarious. Also, as Wing Diver, you lack the ability to sit in the middle of a giant mob of ants and spiders and dragons, put your shield up and then just stand there stabbing/slashing/exploding everything around you without regard to your health.

I think every class has pros and cons, and every class is worth playing. You might have to force yourself to not use Wing Diver for long enough to actually start understanding what makes other classes so great, however.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

It certainly does.
...and yet the servers don't inter-operate. God drat you Japan. I want to play with y'all but I can't justify getting a new US copy of the game, not right now at least. And I think I asked before, but is there a Japanese language option for the US version? I am really attached to the Japanese voices.

MagusProject
Apr 20, 2008

Luceid posted:

It should be coming to the EU servers within the next 12 hours. I'm not entirely certain, and I don't have any definite proof that it won't be region blocked here. It's all very touch and go.

YesManKablam
Feb 19, 2013
"Crap! I don't have any bullets!" :supaburn:
"Eat THIS bullet!" :hellyeah:

I'll really never not be entertained by this game's NPC banter.

Does anyone have the same issue as me where I get bored of all the other classes besides Ranger? Maybe it's because I'm used to just playing as him on EDF2017 Portable.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

MagusProject posted:

It should be coming to the EU servers within the next 12 hours. I'm not entirely certain, and I don't have any definite proof that it won't be region blocked here. It's all very touch and go.

Well, don't try to give Amazon a different address anymore if you want to try getting a US code, I guess. It worked for me a few years ago but now I think my account just got suspended. Oh well, we'll wait and see.

Edit: Downloading now, calling a pal is still the best way to get a US code. I cannot loving wait.

Luceid fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 21, 2014

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

YesManKablam posted:

Does anyone have the same issue as me where I get bored of all the other classes besides Ranger? Maybe it's because I'm used to just playing as him on EDF2017 Portable.

The exact opposite. I know what Ranger brings to the table, I'm having a blast with the other three.

Big McLargeHuge
Jan 2, 2001

Lebanon LOL
Well, poo poo, guess I'll have to dust off my 360 and maybe buy 3 months of Gold. Wish this was on PS4.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
I like being the only ranger among divers and fencers, majestically rolling and shottgunning my way through packs of ants and spiders.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'll have to give roller bombs a try in tunnel missions. I tried them out when I got them, saw they were stupidamazing death-Roombas, then shelved them for ZER-GUN in tunnels.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo Inferno. The level, not the difficulty.

:stare:

That was intense as hell! Everyone got massacred. They didn't fall back when they should have and once the Genocide Cannon got blown up, all hell broke loose. I only won because I turtled like a pussy behind a building that was apparently made of Cantblowupium because nothing could destroy it. Taking out flying bastards and the occasional Hector. Rushing out and grabbing desperately-needed health because I was at like 23HP of 360+ at the time.

I didn't even get a good look at the Mothership. I know some gross poo poo happened when it entered Phase 3, and lots of lights and sounds were occurring on the other side of my cover, but I was so focused on getting some health back that I never got a clear look at it all! And I'm like, not even halfway done! There are over 80 stages, yeah? This was what, mid-30s?

Why do I have the feeling I'm gonna be fighting multiple stage 3 Motherships towards the end?

E: vvv Oh dear...

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 21, 2014

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Haha, you think you'll be fighting something the size of a ship. :allears:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
There are some LONG freaking levels in this game. Just about halfway with a big boss. I dont know how we won, but we did. Cripes.

Love this game SO MUCH.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
Online play is a buggy mess and still manages to be fun but I feel as if couch co-op is the best way to play.

Don't worry guys, I brought the beer.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Had a great time with a goon group tonight - mic ran out of juice towards the end before I could give my goodbyes.

We cut it really close on that last mission - these little moments are what make this game so great.

Still have to try a level with an air raider using a guiding laser.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

rawdog pozfail posted:

It seems like they had a name for the bugs, such as with the Ravagers, but instead just replaced every instance of the word with 'Giant Insects'.

"What are giant insects doing here?!"

It's exactly the same in the Japanese version. "Giant insects have giant insected our giant insects! GIANT INSECTS!"

Honestly it just adds to the charm.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Actually the Japanese is "giant life forms" (巨大生物). They aren't all insects after all; there are spiders in there too.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Are centipedes, rolypolies, and those bastardy black mirrors in this one?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

dis astranagant posted:

Are centipedes, rolypolies, and those bastardy black mirrors in this one?
Actually no, they cut down on the varieties of giant life forms, in its place are more kinds of ships and robots.

edit: there are a new class of spider and bees though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I guess the centipedes weren't much more than crazy lag generators but the mirrors were FUN.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Y'all weren't kidding about load times. It took six minutes to load mission 3 with two players, drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Luceid posted:

Y'all weren't kidding about load times. It took six minutes to load mission 3 with two players, drat.
You have got to be exaggerating. For me it's 30 seconds, no more than that. The initial version of the Japanese version was significantly longer sometimes but they patched it within a week or so.