Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
So I'm trying to figure out a way to get more fiber into my bread without compromising the integrity and texture of the finished loaf . I feel I've got the technique down well enough at this point to start loving with it, but my current foolproof method is 50% whole wheat flour and 50% bread flour. I could probably go to 100% whole wheat if I then add vital wheat gluten to bolster the gluten, but I've had such good results using the bread flour I'm loath to abandon it entirely, and when I've gone above 50% whole wheat flour in the past the result has been disappointing even with vital wheat gluten. (That's probably an issue that has more to do with not getting the proportions right more than anything else, though.) Complicating matters, my partner hates seeds in bread so throwing some flaxseed in the mix is out of the question. I believe wheat germ is a possibility (and adds other nutrition as well) but I fear that it could wreak havoc with the gluten development the same way whole wheat does. Maybe spelt flour? Oat flour? I'm at a loss here where to even begin.

Thoughts? I've seen hi-maize and inulin suggested as a fiber additive that doesn't alter the bread, but I'm skeptical and not sure which to move forward with.

Nicol Bolas fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Fitzy77 posted:

Does anyone have a reliable recipe for gluten-free bread? My girlfriend found out over the summer that she has to go gluten free from now on, and Udi's bread is the best premade bread we've found; at $7 a loaf.

Gluten free bread is basically magic. Well, normal baking is kind of magic. Gluten-free just requires you to replace the most fundamental element of it with other, less understood & documented ingredients that are harder to work with.

As a start, you should probably not knock down gluten-free dough. You're not forming any gluten structure anyway, so it's more a case of letting the yeast inflate it into an acceptable foam, then baking it to fixate it. Everything I've heard suggests that you shouldn't bet on getting another rise out of a gluten-free dough - though I haven't tried.

Finer details like "taste" and "crumb" are far secondary to "holy poo poo this actually resembles bread", from my experience.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 10, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Been experimenting with no knead bread in the past 2 months. Sometimes the bread tastes amazing but sometimes it ends up being too dense and I feel like the dough isn't cooked enough. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong for it to sometimes bake amazingly or horribly.

I follow the 5 minute artisan bread's recipe:

(I weigh everything except the yeast)

16oz Unbleached white flour
3 Cups Warm Water (107-110F) (tap water)
22g Kosher Salt
2 packets yeast(According to Google results, 1 packet is 2.25 tsp so that translate to 1 tbsp + 1.5 tsp right?)
1 tbsp white wine vinegar

I mix the dry ingredients, combine it with the wet, and hand fold the ingredients with a spatula until it's mixed well but not overdoing it. I let it sit in a container with the lid ajar for 2 hours.

I will then pull some of the dough, shape it into a ball, and minimize touching it as much as possible. Let it rest on the counter for 30 minutes, cut an X slice, and then bake it in a preheated oven of 425F (I have an oven thermometer) for 30-40 minutes or until the center registers 210F.

I will put the rest of the dough in the fridge and repeat when its time for me to bake some more.

What the hell am I doing wrong for it to come out doughy sometimes? :confused:

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
30 minutes doesn't sound like long enough for your second rise? It's possible that it's not being allowed to rise enough, particularly if your kitchen temperature varies. (The colder it is in your kitchen, the longer it will take to rise sufficiently for a nice fluffy crumb.)

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Nicol Bolas posted:

30 minutes doesn't sound like long enough for your second rise? It's possible that it's not being allowed to rise enough, particularly if your kitchen temperature varies. (The colder it is in your kitchen, the longer it will take to rise sufficiently for a nice fluffy crumb.)

That sounds likely. It has been about 55F-60F in my kitchen this past week. Is there some sort of signs on the dough for me to know when its good to start baking? Or should I just leave it out for 1-2 hours??

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

That sounds likely. It has been about 55F-60F in my kitchen this past week. Is there some sort of signs on the dough for me to know when its good to start baking? Or should I just leave it out for 1-2 hours??

If you gently push a finger into the loaf while it's proofing when it's ready to go in the oven it shouldn't spring back much if at all when you poke it.

misterKeith
Feb 9, 2014

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
And it's because of this thread I will need to work out twice as hard. Hahaha.

I've seen a couple solid bread recipes and my brother in law really got me into the thought of baking bread fresh before dinner. Glad to find this resource!

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

You can do either, in my (limited) experience, but I believe that I used to make bread very similar to yours until I finally figured out that: duh, I live in a garden-level apartment, it's basically a basement, it's too cold in here for bread. I like to let my bread rise for a full hour or more because I like the crumb that gives me. I let it rise covered in a damp tea towel (with oiled parchment paper if I'm scared it will hit the towel in its rise) sitting in an oven that I turn on for just a minute and then turn off. (My pilot light in my gas oven doesn't really keep it warm enough.) Either that, or I let the bread proof on the counter or stove while I'm making something that will steam up my tiny tiny kitchen, like soup or stew. Even just having the oven on for a braise or a roast can warm my kitchen enough to help my bread really rise better, particularly if the bread sits on top of the oven covered in that tea towel. Thumpasaurus describes the poke rule, which totally works, but I am not a huge fan of it after you get timing / location / temperature down because it gives you a bit of collapsed bread where you poke. I just let it fully double in size, and if you find yourself thinking, "is this really doubled?" let it keep going for a bit longer.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I think if in doubt give it a bit longer: under-proofing seems to be much more of a problem than over.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

woops :downs:

I mixed the dough last night and was going to stick it in the fridge after 2 hours of rising in the kitchen but fell asleep. Woke up 7 hours.

I'm not home right now so I can't bake it or let it rise in a warmer environment (oven) so I'm not sure how it'll be when I actually bake it. The dough looked fine. Is my dough boned for letting it rise in the kitchen (65F-69F) for 7 hours?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

woops :downs:

I mixed the dough last night and was going to stick it in the fridge after 2 hours of rising in the kitchen but fell asleep. Woke up 7 hours.

I'm not home right now so I can't bake it or let it rise in a warmer environment (oven) so I'm not sure how it'll be when I actually bake it. The dough looked fine. Is my dough boned for letting it rise in the kitchen (65F-69F) for 7 hours?

I'm going to bet that it will collapse when you put it into the oven to cook it.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I made bread for the first time, using the king arthur no knead recipe. Tastes a little bit fermenty - not overpowering, but there's a hint. Afaik I followed the instructions exactly. Measured by weight, water/first rise/oven were correct temperatures, second rise wasn't too long or too short, baked till 205...what could have caused it?

I feel like I've opened pandora's box. Farewell, 40/40/20 diet :dings:

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
that looks awesome! Would be good bread to make bread bowls out of.

As for the fermenty taste, how long did you let it rise?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

First one was 2 hours, second was like 50 minutes. I did the poke test both times to check. Now that it's completely cooled down, it doesn't have that taste anymore. :shrug: Tasty anyways! Ate like, half the loaf with chili.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Yeah, its good and easy stuff to make.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

M42 posted:

First one was 2 hours, second was like 50 minutes. I did the poke test both times to check. Now that it's completely cooled down, it doesn't have that taste anymore. :shrug: Tasty anyways! Ate like, half the loaf with chili.

Did you cut the bread open while it was hot? Or just warm

M42
Nov 12, 2012

It was just warm, I've read it's bad to cut it straight out of the oven.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Good. Yes, it's bad to cut bread straight from the oven - until it cools, it's still cooking, and if you let all that delicious steam out, your bread will turn into a slack rubbery mess.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm gonna start my starter tonight. I have canning jars that I'm gonna keep it in. Am I suppose to close the lids or leave it open and covered with a towel?

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm gonna start my starter tonight. I have canning jars that I'm gonna keep it in. Am I suppose to close the lids or leave it open and covered with a towel?

Cover it with a towel.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Leave it open somewhat unless you want to come back to an exploded jar.
Towel's fine at first once it's established you can poke some holes in the lid and store it that way.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Does anyone happen to know of a good store in NYC for baker's supplies? I'd like to pick up a couche, a lame, and some other tools, but I didn't see any at my neighborhood kitchen goods store. I'm hesitant to order from the internet as my building does not have a doorman and the super is usually out when UPS swings by. Thanks!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

PatMarshall posted:

Does anyone happen to know of a good store in NYC for baker's supplies? I'd like to pick up a couche, a lame, and some other tools, but I didn't see any at my neighborhood kitchen goods store. I'm hesitant to order from the internet as my building does not have a doorman and the super is usually out when UPS swings by. Thanks!

JB Prince should have everything you need.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Thanks! That place looks awesome, I had no idea it was there.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

PatMarshall posted:

Does anyone happen to know of a good store in NYC ... I'm hesitant to order from the internet as my building does not have a doorman and the super is usually out when UPS swings by. Thanks!

Have you considered using the Amazon lockers?

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

That's a good idea, yet another option I didn't know existed until today, thanks! to contribute, here's my attempt at a rosemary boule using the 80% hydration baguette recipe:

edit: crumb:

PatMarshall fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 17, 2014

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

So I did freaking everything wrong with this loaf.

I was making the typical New York Times no-knead bread recipe. Using a heavy glass bowl to measure my ingredients in on the scale, I carelessly ignored the high weight warning, figuring I had a good two pounds of wiggle room. So I add the flour, salt, water, and as I'm measuring in the water (the version I use has 500 grams) at around 350 or so...

the scale goes 'Error' and SHUTS OFF. Well gently caress. I eyeballed it, it seemed a little dry, I added a little more, got a vaguely soupy mess, said 'gently caress it' and left it to rise overnight on the counter covered in the bowl with plastic wrap.

It says to leave it 12-15 hours. I couldn't get home til after about a 19 hour rise. It had definitely bubbled up, but filled the bowl like a liquid. Which it just about was. This was the stickiest, gooeyist most stubborn clingy poo poo I had ever seen, and I've been to taffy pulls. I laughingly tried to 'shape' a loaf out of it using the pinch and pull method. It just slowly oozed back into whatever shape the container was. It even stuck to my well-floured silpat like stretchy sticky paste. I added a little more flour in hopes of giving it a little more body, yeah no. Gave that up and let it rise again for the two hour rise.

Except I kept trying to reshape it. After about a half hour did the pinch-pull again. Still oozing back into whatever shape. I tried to see if my loaf pan would fit into the dutch oven I had heated up waiting for it (nope) tried a pie pan (barely). Did pinch-pull again because hey, hope springs eternal. Nope. So I put it in a pie pan, slash the top (lol slowly oozes back into nothingness like the T-1000) tried to put it in the dutch oven, figured out oh hey, I have no way in hell of actually lowering it in there (it was that tight a fit). Finally came up with the brilliant idea of using a long strip of tinfoil.

Disaster #3. It just fell off as the pan tipped halfway into lowering and hit the bare inside of the dutch oven with a sizzle. 'gently caress it' sez I, popped the cover on, set the timer, and tried calling my husband to pick up some bread from Panera or something on the way home (too late).

I take the top off and notice its a bit flat but browned nicely on top and it smells good. I take it out a bit early since I've lost probably 8oz of it from sticking to various things as I transferred it in a vain attempt to get it in a pan that would give it some semblance of shape. It's a bit flat but looks alright.

By now its way late, kids are hungry, I've made soup so serve that, kids are bellyaching for bread that is filling the whole house with its smell, I figure its hosed up anyway might as well find out how bad. It is still almost too hot to touch (mistake # hahaha who knows at this point). So I cut that sucker open.

And I am greeted with this.

What the gently caress. Did I just accidentally discover how to make baguettes?

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck
Sounds like my first attempt at pizza dough. Added too much water and ended up with this gloop that was impossible to knead, so after flailing impotently at it for a while I just poured it into a muffin tin. The rolls were very tasty and baguette-like.

I want to try a high-hydration loaf soonish but it seems like such a pain in the rear end.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

PiratePing posted:

Sounds like my first attempt at pizza dough. Added too much water and ended up with this gloop that was impossible to knead, so after flailing impotently at it for a while I just poured it into a muffin tin. The rolls were very tasty and baguette-like.

I want to try a high-hydration loaf soonish but it seems like such a pain in the rear end.

Yeah, I have not had much luck with pizza dough either.

PiratePing
Jan 3, 2007

queck

Cimber posted:

Yeah, I have not had much luck with pizza dough either.

I'm pretty sure I didn't use the right flour the first time. When I started using Tipo 00 with the same amount of water the dough became super soft and elastic, perfect for throwing.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.
I haven't baked much since Christmas which is a shame. I figured I'd jump back in with an easy no-knead kalamata olive. Delicious! Plus I got to christen my new cast iron pot.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I don't think my starter is working. It's been since Saturday now and I've been discarding/feeding it twice a day. He just smells like dough and not sour or tangy at all and there are no bubbles anywhere on or under the surface. Does it usually take so long to get started?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don't think my starter is working. It's been since Saturday now and I've been discarding/feeding it twice a day. He just smells like dough and not sour or tangy at all and there are no bubbles anywhere on or under the surface. Does it usually take so long to get started?

Keep at it for a week, and if at that point it's a failure, it's hosed. You might not be giving it enough time between feedings...try reducing that rate to once a day.

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Keep at it for a week, and if at that point it's a failure, it's hosed. You might not be giving it enough time between feedings...try reducing that rate to once a day.

That's what it sounds like to me as well. Perhaps you don't have keep it warm enough?

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving
When i made my own natural starter i let it sit for 3 days before feeding it at the beginning.

Wait 3 days, peel away the dried up crap on top and take a tablespoon of that and feed it once a day.

It should smell pretty ripe.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

le capitan posted:

When i made my own natural starter i let it sit for 3 days before feeding it at the beginning.

Wait 3 days, peel away the dried up crap on top and take a tablespoon of that and feed it once a day.

It should smell pretty ripe.

You are using these starters for sourdough, right?

I've been making cheese lately (see the cheese thread) and I have a ton of whey left over. People have said that you can use it in place of water when making bread. Has anyone tried that? How does it come out?

I always add a 6 oz can of evaporated water to my bread, should i do that still if i am using whey?

rigeek
Jun 12, 2006

Cimber posted:

I always add a 6 oz can of evaporated water to my bread, should i do that still if i am using whey?

Dafuq?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Cimber posted:

I've been making cheese lately (see the cheese thread) and I have a ton of whey left over. People have said that you can use it in place of water when making bread. Has anyone tried that? How does it come out?

I'll sell you as much evaporated water as you want.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
evaporated water, its the best thing for bread! Also known as steam I guess.

I mean evaporated milk. I guess thats what happens when i post after going through a sixpack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
The last few times I've tried a no-knead, it developed a really tough crust on top after a ~12-hour rising period. A pretty tough, gross, bubbly crust. Would this be a result of too much saturation or too warm of an environment?

Cimber posted:

I guess thats what happens when i post after going through a sixpack.

Of evaporated milk? drat dude.