Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You know, I picked up a Jesta Cannon because I thought it'd be too much trouble to hunt down an Overflag.

And then I found one sitting on a shelf plain-as-day as part of the latest shipment at one of my local stores :negative:.

It's really not a bad kit, but it could've seriously used some of those soft polycaps considering Bandai got three kits out of the one design. Whoever it was that brought up theirs a while ago, mine has the same weird flaw in the hands - the right one holds either gun comfortably, but it flops out of the left. Just seems weird, as the deflector/shield/spinning-thingy can be slotted onto either arm :iiam:.

drat I was hoping the Overflag rifle would hold slightly better in the hands, I don't think anything looks worse in its hands than the Zaku Amazing's machetes, something about the Flag just doesn't like customizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TARDISman posted:

drat I was hoping the Overflag rifle would hold slightly better in the hands, I don't think anything looks worse in its hands than the Zaku Amazing's machetes, something about the Flag just doesn't like customizing.

I think it's the esoteric hands. They're only designed to hold the Flag weapons and nothing else.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think it's the esoteric hands. They're only designed to hold the Flag weapons and nothing else.

Especially none of those dirty foreign weapons from the HRL.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I just came here to bitch about the Mg Rezel's gun, the white pieces are designed so stupidly.

I have no idea why Banadai designed the pieces like this. They are such a pain in the rear end to paint and having that big chuck of plastic underneath the tube detracts from the original design of the gun.

other than that, it's a pretty good kit.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I was looking at Gundam Store and More (which seems neat but almost everything is out of stock and their store interface is terribad) and they have some generic Zeon 1/100 scale hands listed for sale, but they're out of stock. My MG Zaku is missing a thumb and it'd be cool to be able to get a replacement, but on eBay it looks like they're all coming out of Hong Kong. The one time I ordered a Gundam piece from China it ended up being a piece of poo poo, not surprisingly. I wish I could pick up a full left shoulder and arm for my 1/100 GM, but I think the poor guy is forever destined to be "battle-damaged".

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Does anyone have experience with the Koto REX kit? Because it's on sale on HLJ right now and I'm a sucker for REX's design. :negative:

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Defeat is finally getting your Gundam X MG in and then one of your friends losing a part down a vent while you went to the bathroom. Guess I'm waiting for Gentei Parts to give me an estimate.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Anonymous Robot posted:

I was looking at Gundam Store and More (which seems neat but almost everything is out of stock and their store interface is terribad)

GSAM is pretty much a joke nowadays.

quote:

it'd be cool to be able to get a replacement

There are plenty of parts replacement services. Try out Gentei Parts or Tatsu Hobby.

Kitfox88 posted:

Does anyone have experience with the Koto REX kit? Because it's on sale on HLJ right now and I'm a sucker for REX's design. :negative:

It's a decent enough kit. You need to do a ton of painting, and it's nowhere near Bandai quality (some people have reported pieces not fitting without some modification, others have had to glue things together), but that's par for the course. There's no other option for a REX kit, so if you want it get it.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 21, 2014

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
That's what I was worried about, I've been hideously unsatisfied with the other koto kits I've had and my skills are nowhere near good enough to make up for their shortcomings, so I'll be passing on it. :sigh:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The thruster effects had some really bad nubs so I was worried how they would turn out,

but the clear paint really masks a lot of it. Just need to work through the other pack and I can get this thing all fired up.

Incidentally, Tatsu Hobby sent me the replacement parts for the 00 I needed. I still don't have the free time to work on my custom,

but I totally have the time to screw around. This is a reminder that HG 00 is the most balanced and articulated HG.

Seriously.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 22, 2014

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

Defeat is finally getting your Gundam X MG in and then one of your friends losing a part down a vent while you went to the bathroom. Guess I'm waiting for Gentei Parts to give me an estimate.

I assume you've cut off all contact with this "friend" right?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

He paid for the replacements so I'm not too mad. It's just really frustrating because jesus christ, throw some better hands on it and that kit is pretty perfect.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Every time another person has touched my models they immediately do something stupid, like they start removing pieces or try to make it do the splits or take it off a shelf and plop it back down, only for it to immediately crash to the floor.

And no one EVER asks first. I've actually had to get shirty with people who've refused to keep their hands off, it's fuckin' ridiculous.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I get together with my friends and we build together just because it's a good bonding thing and we all have poo poo we're really good at. For example I can build and cut stuff out pretty well, but suffer from a bit of jitteriness from anxiety so panel lining and decals aren't always super easy. I've never had much issue with people touching my kits.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It basically depends on how they see your kits. If they're just toys, then they should totally be able to stand up to abuse, right? If they've never built a model in their lives, more likely than not this is their view.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Bimmi posted:

Every time another person has touched my models they immediately do something stupid, like they start removing pieces or try to make it do the splits or take it off a shelf and plop it back down, only for it to immediately crash to the floor.

And no one EVER asks first. I've actually had to get shirty with people who've refused to keep their hands off, it's fuckin' ridiculous.

This only happens when my sister is inside of 4 feet of my models. Showed her my MG Astray Blue Frame and the arm just fell off, sword and everything.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Argas posted:

It basically depends on how they see your kits. If they're just toys, then they should totally be able to stand up to abuse, right? If they've never built a model in their lives, more likely than not this is their view.

That might be understandable, but some folk seem to think it's perfectly okay to walk into someone's home and immediately begin fondling the bric-a-brac.

On the one hand it makes me feel like kind of a jerk to have to correct these people; on the other hand, how hard is it to keep your greasy mitts off my poo poo?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

One time, while my club was tabling for new members, a guy walked right up to one of the display pieces and touched it. He was eating pizza at the same time.

That kit still has a stain on it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I have mine displayed behind glass, I've found it helps keep people's mitts of them.

Also don't ever have to dust them, thank god.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I wish I could both afford and have enough reason to explain to the people I live with why the hell there is a glass case in my room filled with robots.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

I wish I could both afford and have enough reason to explain to the people I live with why the hell there is a glass case in my room filled with robots.

I was lucky enough that the apartment I rent came with pre installed glass cases for China. I just put robots in them instead :v:

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Monaghan posted:

I was lucky enough that the apartment I rent came with pre installed glass cases for China. I just put robots in them instead :v:

Yeah, before I started my bachelor's degree I decided to get my EMT license, so I act as a caretaker for the elderly members of my family here. I pay way less rent than I would on my own, but I have to deal with restrictions on what I can and can't build in the house furniture wise. It took forever just to get the ability to put together an intable and book shelf for all my DVDs and game systems, so a glass case is way out of the question. I'd kill for one though. There's a 100 dollar one from ikea that I really want.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Oh god my wallet's crying in pain, HGUC Neo Zeong is happening.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

TARDISman posted:

Welp. That's gonna be the closest I'm coming to a HG Dendrobium. Consider me sold.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

TARDISman posted:

Jesus H. Christ. THAT'S gonna be a HGUC?! :stare:

Edit: \/\/\/ - Forget the pricetag, think of the shipping cost for us poor North Americans.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 22, 2014

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The price tag on this thing is going to be ridiculous.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

Jesus H. Christ. THAT'S gonna be a HGUC?! :stare:

80 cm or nearly 32 inches tall for the record. It's primarily those fuel tanks but still. :magical:
I'm guessing 200,000 yen for a price, probably $250, what does everyone else think?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TARDISman posted:

My god.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I genuinely cannot parse this. The fandom clamored for an HGUC Dendrobium years before it finally happened, and it sold poorly regardless. This new thing has no proven appeal whatsoever and will probably be even more expensive.

Who's it supposed to be for? How many do they seriously expect to sell? How many brick-and-mortar hobby shops are going to say "thanks, but gently caress you" to giving up limited shelf space to this giant weird non-sequiter of a kit?

I'm just what the hell, man, what the hell.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Bandai's banking on Unicorn's popularity, and honestly that's worked out for them pretty well so far. Just look at MG Phenex. v:shobon:v

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

And for all of the mere serfs (me included :negative:), they're doing an SD Neo Zeong as well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TARDISman posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't think they'd actually do it :magical:.

Bimmi posted:

I genuinely cannot parse this. The fandom clamored for an HGUC Dendrobium years before it finally happened, and it sold poorly regardless. This new thing has no proven appeal whatsoever and will probably be even more expensive.

Who's it supposed to be for? How many do they seriously expect to sell? How many brick-and-mortar hobby shops are going to say "thanks, but gently caress you" to giving up limited shelf space to this giant weird non-sequiter of a kit?

I'm just what the hell, man, what the hell.

Clearly the only reason to buy one is so it can be posed it in a fight to the death with a 3-foot-tall Metroplex.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

We have color shots of RG Exia now too.

Down in the bottom right, they're already announcing web exclusives. HG GN Arms with RG decals (everybody saw this coming) and RG Gundam Exia RI (which again everybody saw this coming but not so soon!).

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
No, seriously, according to Bandai Hobby an MG Kshatriya or PG Unicorn is "not currently feasible due to the economy" but they somehow see fit to throw their weight behind this big red wedge of cheese that has barely been in the public eye for 24 hours?

gently caress it man, I'm through trying to deduce any rhyme or reason in Bandai's decision-making process. That way only madness lies.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

TARDISman posted:

When I read this I was really surprised, now we just have to wait for the Perfect New Zeong. :shepface:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Bimmi posted:

No, seriously, according to Bandai Hobby an MG Kshatriya or PG Unicorn is "not currently feasible due to the economy" but they somehow see fit to throw their weight behind this big red wedge of cheese that has barely been in the public eye for 24 hours?

It is an HG, so it's going to be significantly less of an investment than an MG or a PG. Remember we got HG Kshatriya too.

...Which didn't do too well AFAIK soooooo yeah.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Honestly I expect a poo poo ton of that kit to be hollow. Those binders will be like 6 parts for both. There's no way that thing is going to be super complex.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I am decidedly not aroused at the thought of HG quality with a PG price tag.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Bimmi posted:

gently caress it man, I'm through trying to deduce any rhyme or reason in Bandai's decision-making process. That way only madness lies.

I seem to remember the reasoning behind there not being an MG Kshatriya was the fact that they couldn't figure out how to make plastic support the binders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

TARDISman posted:

I seem to remember the reasoning behind there not being an MG Kshatriya was the fact that they couldn't figure out how to make plastic support the binders.

Some Bandai Hobby mook was interviewed a couple of years ago and suggested that both of those kits might eventually happen but that economic conditions at the time did not warrant the risk.

I could see an MG Kshatriya needing a lot of metal in order to work, though, and Bandai seems to hate using metal parts for some reason.

ETA - the relevant quotes:

Q: will there be a PG Unicorn?
A: say if we set the issue is with the price, the pyscho frame will probably have the glowing gimmick similar to the “1/700 Tokyo sky tree”. In order to make the articulation + transformation gimmick perfectly it will probably drive the price pretty high.

All the recent PG release are pretty popular because of their anime. People also can’t wait for a PG Unicorn, but if we say that there will be one it might lessen the interest and anticipation. The fans of Gundam UC are of a higher age group and we believe they can also afford the higher price. It’s not the time for us to take risk from now on and we hope we can have it out before the tax goes up.

Q: What about a MG Kshatriya?
A: Even if it’s the MG we might have to use metal frame to support the binder because of the size, but right now it’s not the time to think about it because the economy is still very tough at the moment.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Feb 22, 2014

• Locked thread