Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a call came in.

Guy wanted help making CLI changes to his fortigate. The issue is well out of my experience, I can do some basic GUI config, but that's about it. The tech that sold him the device is driving and cant help him. The clients site is down and needs help asap. So i talk to all the account managers and sr techs on site. It turned into a massive argument, none of them wanted to help this guy and their answer was "just google it and walk him through it"

I flat out refused to do it. So tomorrow I have a meeting with two managers and an owner because im not being a team player.

Hazzah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Everything is blackswordca's fault.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Poop into a box and bring it to the meeting in case you need it for something.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

No more Blackberries, no more managing international services.
You have no idea how much I envy you. Seriously gently caress Blackberry with a rusty shovel.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Poop into a box and bring it to the meeting in case you need it for something.

if you have any friends with cats, that's a bit easier and just as effective.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
God I loving hate having to solo rack UPSes. Yes, I love having to manhandle 60 pounds of sharp metal box first thing in the morning.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Even 1U servers are a pain in the rear end to rack solo. There's a reason all the server installation guides recommend or require you to be at least 2 people when racking.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

Inspector_666 posted:

God I loving hate having to solo rack UPSes. Yes, I love having to manhandle 60 pounds of sharp metal box first thing in the morning.

Do you even lift?

My boss and I were moving the Force10 C300 off a mobile cart onto the counter top, but the cart kept wanting to tip/roll. I stepped on the corner so it wouldn't tip/roll and I'm pretty sure I strained my groin trying to a) lift my half of the C300 while b) keeping the cart from tipping over or rolling away at the same time.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've racked a bunch of 1U and 2U servers by myself but I'll get a helper for UPS/UPS batteries because that's just too much effort relative to my pay rate.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Nothing like sweating up a storm in your nice office clothes.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Of course it CAN be done on your own, but doing it with two people means less risk of hurting yourself, less risk of breaking something, and it's much easier.

I've never understood this desire of people to make things hard for themselves by insisting on doing it on their own.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

Of course it CAN be done on your own, but doing it with two people means less risk of hurting yourself, less risk of breaking something, and it's much easier.

I've never understood this desire of people to make things hard for themselves by insisting on doing it on their own.

I call this "Supermanning" and define it as your ego making you think a job can be done solo with only sheer will/brute force.

Frequently seen by people who end up ranting about being irreplaceable as they're being fired.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

blackswordca posted:

So a call came in.

Guy wanted help making CLI changes to his fortigate. The issue is well out of my experience, I can do some basic GUI config, but that's about it. The tech that sold him the device is driving and cant help him. The clients site is down and needs help asap. So i talk to all the account managers and sr techs on site. It turned into a massive argument, none of them wanted to help this guy and their answer was "just google it and walk him through it"

I flat out refused to do it. So tomorrow I have a meeting with two managers and an owner because im not being a team player.

Hazzah.

What time? Please live blog it to this thread.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Set up a camera for a live feed

J
Jun 10, 2001

You should stop calling them senior techs and start calling them senior thumb twiddlers. Or perhaps senior throwers of blackswordca under large public transportation vehicles.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I'm not a big person and I'm not even in very good shape anymore but I never considered a 1 or 2U server (only ~60 lbs or so) to be heavy or awkward enough to even remotely need assistance with unless it was going into one of the top most rack spaces where I couldn't see the rail slider things. Just lift with your legs and slide it in (:heysexy:). Then again all my coworkers thought I was weird because I walked everywhere instead of taking the golf cart and carried desktops/crts across the plant whenever the opportunity came up just so I could get some exercise.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Paladine_PSoT posted:

What time? Please live blog it to this thread.

Supposed to be at 9:30 tomorrow morning.. Ill post the results of it when its done.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Honestly, at this point you should just show up in dirt- and sweat-stained clothes reeking of alcohol with an unlit cigarette in your mouth and give them the most outlandish story you can think of just to see how they respond.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Just keep asking "and then what?" to every statement they make.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Re: Supermanning: To be fair, I actually honestly don't always trust my coworkers to not harm me more than me doing it by myself, but that's unique to my workplace.

Eagerly awaiting the results of this meeting, where it takes three managers to fail to determine why 'just google it' is probably not an adequate customer service strategy.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Honestly, at this point you should just show up in dirt- and sweat-stained clothes reeking of alcohol with an unlit cigarette in your mouth and give them the most outlandish story you can think of just to see how they respond.
Watch the first couple episodes of True Detective first and take some inspiration from Mcconaughey's character.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

KoRMaK posted:

Watch the first couple episodes of True Detective first and take some inspiration from Mcconaughey's character.

Maybe I should do a Harry Dresden inspired costume and pretend to be a wizard.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

blackswordca posted:

Maybe I should do a Harry Dresden inspired costume and pretend to be a wizard.

Don't bother.

They're just going to talk about how disappointed they are, and how you need to do anything for the client within reason, and blah blah blah, which is why we're giving you this pay cut written warning.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You need to dress up (and act like) Peter Gibbons meeting with the two Bobs.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Don't bother.

They're just going to talk about how disappointed they are, and how you need to do anything for the client within reason, and blah blah blah, which is why we're giving you this pay cut written warning.

Honestly, I am sure im going to be getting a write up, the rest im not sure. Its really hard to give pay cuts up here so they probably wont go down that route, though given the other crap they tried I wouldn't put it past them either.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

KoRMaK posted:

This is good advice.

"This is a world where no tickets get closed. Somebody once told me that time is a flat circle. Everything we've every done or will do, we're gonna do over and over and over again. That call will come in again, we'll have this meeting again. I'll post in SH/SC about it."

While carving little :yotj:s out of beer cans.

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

TWBalls posted:

We have a Breast Center (Mammography) here too. Personally, I don't care what department it is, if there's a patient in the room, I'm not stepping foot in there unless I have the nurse ask the patient permission first simply out of courtesy for the patient.

Yeah, this has always been my policy. However, that hasn't prevented me from having to scrub up to fix an issue in the OR during surgery. Wasn't so bad (couldn't really see much) but when I swore under my breath as the drat thing crashed again I apparently worried some nurses who thought something vital had been nicked.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Varkk posted:

We deal with a medical centre and a couple of dentists offices. We never go in to an examination room with a patient in it. Similar for the lawyers or accountants we deal with.

Kinda hard to do when you are in medical IT and there is no time when they arent taking in patients. Also this is affecting production.
If I close an operating theater, they get hella pissy, we can only justify that when we need to rip out a wall or something of that magnitude.
To be fair, I also wear the same clothes as a doctor so I am on the patients automatic whitelist.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Inspector_666 posted:

This is good advice.

"This is a world where no tickets get closed. Somebody once told me that time is a flat circle. Everything we've every done or will do, we're gonna do over and over and over again. That call will come in again, we'll have this meeting again. I'll post in SH/SC about it."

While carving little :yotj:s out of beer cans.

hahahaha this is gold

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
From what I've seen both here and the hospital in my hometown, techs wear scrubs of a uniform color (or 'band' of color, as it was in my hometown, techs had warm colors, I think, while clerical staff mostly wore purple); while it's a bit limiting for your work attire, it at least means the patients are generally comfortable with your presence, while no one who should know better mistakes you for a nurse or some random wandering git. That's just the two hospitals I've seen, though, I don't know if there's some sort of regulatory brew-ha about such things.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Great Beer posted:

An announcement came in. "Internet Explorer 6 will no longer be supported. Please upgrade to Internet Explorer 8."

Yay. I think?

I'm still trying to get IT to upgrade, but the manager constantly stops us because our financial administration (as always) uses software that breaks if we upgrade and another has misgivings because it would confuse the users in the library....

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

JohnnyCanuck posted:

TO: Organization
SUBJECT: Bathroom Use

There really is no delicate way to put this; therefore, I will just address the issue.
We ask that everyone refrain from using the bathroom when doing “#2”.
As you can all well understand, we just want to avoid any unpleasantness should we have guests visiting the Office.

Thank you!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

I legitimately hope my boss never see's that. It'd give him ideas and he'd start looking for a brand like that. Then again, i'd just start bringing in my own loo roll.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

dogstile posted:

I legitimately hope my boss never see's that. It'd give him ideas and he'd start looking for a brand like that. Then again, i'd just start bringing in my own loo roll.

Unless he read Viz back in the day, it's unlikely he'll ever see it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTvjRyv0c5M

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

dogstile posted:

When I was at Worldcom, their big Ashburn office complex had the bathroom tile laid at about a 15 degree angle from the walls. They did it deliberately to make the bathrooms unpleasant. As you can imagine, this did not actually improve productivity.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

SO I got pulled into the meeting early at 9.

Basic rundown, They are disappointed that I am not willing to expand my skill set at all, and disappointed that I was unwilling to be a team player. They wrote me up for insubordination and I lost the 'raise' I was going to get.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

'Searching Google to provide support in an area that you aren't qualified to deal with to a paying customer' = 'training' now then?

"Jenkins, this man clearly needs heart surgery urgently or he's going to die"
"But I'm an optician, how can I possibly be helpful?"
"So much for being a team player!"

Also that raise never existed. If it wasn't cancelled for this it would have been cancelled for something else.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

blackswordca posted:

Basic rundown, They are disappointed that I am not willing to expand my skill set at all, and disappointed that I was unwilling to be a team player. They wrote me up for insubordination and I lost the 'raise' I was going to get.

Did you stifle a laugh at any point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

blackswordca posted:

You were never getting a raise, but I am sure you already know that.

• Locked thread