Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Tipping out BOH is also illegal in the US (with a few exceptions in a few states).

Read all about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bjay9
May 3, 2011

Kid, touch is for video games and gynecologists
In Canada, it's pretty much an expectation that you tip out the BOH after every shift. The places I've worked the general idea is tipping out 1-2% of your sales.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Tweek posted:

Has, "If you don't like it, you can leave" -ever- actually been true?

Speaking of this, tomorrow's my last day at the bakery. Came in tonight to find that despite cutting my shifts as far as I could and still make product, one of my days had been cut. That would leave me at 25 hours or so, so I put in my resignation. Boss called me back once he got in, asked why I was quitting. Apparently 'I can't afford to work at a loss' wasn't the answer he was looking for, so tomorrow's my last shift.

Gonna file for unemployment on him while I get another gig lined up. :v:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Tweek posted:

Has, "If you don't like it, you can leave" -ever- actually been true?

Sure, assuming you are willing to take the chance on not being able to find another job.

So if labor isn't a huge part of a restaurant's budget, what is? Food costs, rent, gas? I do a lot of budget related work for the event industry and labor is normal 50% or more of any given event and even a 4-5% hike is huge. The restaurant industry is fascinating to me with how dysfunctional it seems and how high the failure rate is.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Food cost is pretty big. Unless you're smart and have a lot of cheaper braise items and do a decent markup for your presentation.

However most restaurant owners are stupid, so.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

bunnielab posted:

Sure, assuming you are willing to take the chance on not being able to find another job.

So if labor isn't a huge part of a restaurant's budget, what is? Food costs, rent, gas? I do a lot of budget related work for the event industry and labor is normal 50% or more of any given event and even a 4-5% hike is huge. The restaurant industry is fascinating to me with how dysfunctional it seems and how high the failure rate is.

The failure rate is honestly the result of the restaurant business being seen as easy to succeed in by the uninformed, while actually being a stone bitch to get any measurable success in. A lot of people start a place up on a shoestring budget figuring they'll be making profit quickly, but it is much more likely that you need to have at least 2 years of operating costs in the bank on top of your startup funds to be able to weather the rough early year or two.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

bunnielab posted:

Last year, one of the restaurants I worked at did $2.7 million in net sales, but ate $49,000 in comps alone. That doesn't count waste or spillage, employee consumption, etc. That's a BMW worth of food that got sent back/had to be recooked for whatever reason.

Running a restaurant profitably isn't easy, but you can do it if you have actual budgeting ability, talented staff, and some business acumen. The best restaurants I've worked for know the difference between cutting costs and cutting corners, but most do not.

Fun side story: Hostess drew me a picture last night. I was looking at it when GM snatched it out of my hand, and told the hostess "I pay you a lot of money per hour". She then looked at me and just rolled her eyes. Thanks, $2.13 an hour!

edit: to weigh in on the "will restaurants explode if servers are paid fairly". My ROI was calculated at just over 2600% since I started at said restaurant 6 months from time of report. That means that even if they paid me $10.00 an hour instead of $2.13 an hour, I'd still be giving them a 500%+ return on investment. That doesn't sound so bad to me. I know labor is, at the absolute most, 1/3 of the restaurant cost, but seriously, wages will get absorbed, and you'll have significantly more talented (and put together) people lining up for restaurant jobs if they're guaranteed to still make $100 on a double even if no one comes in.

spouse fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 18, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

spouse posted:

edit: to weigh in on the "will restaurants explode if servers are paid fairly". My ROI was calculated at just over 2600% since I started at said restaurant 6 months from time of report. That means that even if they paid me $10.00 an hour instead of $2.13 an hour, I'd still be giving them a 500%+ return on investment. That doesn't sound so bad to me. I know labor is, at the absolute most, 1/3 of the restaurant cost, but seriously, wages will get absorbed, and you'll have significantly more talented (and put together) people lining up for restaurant jobs if they're guaranteed to still make $100 on a double even if no one comes in.
Are servers underpaid now? I get that the income is variable but I've never seen an establishment where FoH made less than BoH. I mean they're getting 1/7 of the restaurant's gross income. I don't mean to start an FoH/BoH war, but not counting tips as part of the income you get from employment seems like a pretty unrealistic calculation given that your employment at the restaurant is what makes those tips possible in the first place.

"Fairness" has nothing to do with it - the reality is that good waitstaff are often harder to recruit and maintain than good back of house, so you have to compensate them more accordingly. And doing it through tipping is what people are used to in the US. You can forbid tips and pay hourly, and some restaurants (most famously Per Se and Alinea/Next) are starting to do that. But as a (usually cash-poor) business owner it's more advantageous to do what everyone else is doing. Switching to hourly you'll get soaked in the slow times and during the busy times your servers will be making less than they're used to and may even be thinking "this is bullshit" - and this is when you need them most. I mean it's not like they're the only salespeople in the country getting paid on commission. Granted, dealing with lovely poorly-tipping customers sucks a lot, but the fact that it's often unappealing is what keeps the overall pay high...

Not sure how you're calculating your ROI, given that rent, utilities, prep, and... you know... food are critical components of what allow you to get tips.

Though I imagine the real reason tipping stays around is probably because people assume customers don't actually factor in the 20% bump in price when looking at the menu vs. a place without tipping.

I will say though that as a server it would very much behoove you to save up an emergency fund ASAP. There's plenty of money flowing towards FoH in successful establishments - I'm not sure if you're saying they should get more or that the restaurant should smooth out their income for them, but if it's the latter you can take care of that problem yourself by saving more of your income in the good times

No Wave fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 19, 2014

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

Speaking of this, tomorrow's my last day at the bakery. Came in tonight to find that despite cutting my shifts as far as I could and still make product, one of my days had been cut. That would leave me at 25 hours or so, so I put in my resignation. Boss called me back once he got in, asked why I was quitting. Apparently 'I can't afford to work at a loss' wasn't the answer he was looking for, so tomorrow's my last shift.

Gonna file for unemployment on him while I get another gig lined up. :v:

Wait, so you put in your 2 week notice and then the boss called you and asked why, then didn't like your answer and essentially fired you, but still wants you to work one last day?

There's no way I'd go in for that last shift. I was working night audit at a hotel and I walked in one night to see that I had no shifts after the one I was just about to work. I turned to the person that was working, said 'I'm sick' and walked out. The GM called me the next day and asked, 'So I guess you quit?' and I responded with 'No, you fired me and I was sick last night'. gently caress that rear end in a top hat.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Eh, I actually like the work, so I don't have a problem with one last shift. Not like I had anything else scheduled tonight anyway, and given how slow they are I'l be out in six hours. Need to turn in my keys and gas card, and say goodbye to a few of my favorite customers as well.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Three weeks into the Exec Chef job and I've finally got the new menu printed and in the books. They were using a printing company before, but I ended up doing it myself and printing it in-house to save money and to make it easier to modify. Now it's time to start tweaking the holdover items that I'm not happy with. Think anyone will complain if I change the chicken sandwiches/wraps to thighs instead of breasts?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Depends, are they billed as breasts on the menus? Thighs have more flavor to me, but some customers have a perception that dark meat is 'greasy' for whatever reason.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

When I reworked the menu I took out any references to specific sizes, breads, or types of meat that would lock us into things (at least as much as I could). The menu just says Chicken. I was going to marinate it, then mark on the grill and quick braise to finish. Warm up as necessary for service.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.

GigaFool posted:

When I reworked the menu I took out any references to specific sizes, breads, or types of meat that would lock us into things (at least as much as I could).

An old Chef of mine's favorite phrase was, "Menu doesn't say."

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

No Wave posted:

Not sure how you're calculating your ROI, given that rent, utilities, prep, and... you know... food are critical components of what allow you to get tips.

I was given it, along with a detailed printout of my sales and a breakdown at a meeting at the end of the year. I don't know, but I can only assume it's something simple like wages+training+materials-comps/spillage=my value.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

spouse posted:

I was given it, along with a detailed printout of my sales and a breakdown at a meeting at the end of the year. I don't know, but I can only assume it's something simple like wages+training+materials-comps/spillage=my value.
It's a total nonsense statistic and I have no idea why they gave it to you, to be honest. It's not like you brought these customers into the restaurant.

This isn't to comment on your worth etc. as a server, I'm just signaling my confusion.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Oh boy! Who wants to work a week of doubles while sick with a mean little body-achey cold? Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :dance: :choco:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Black August posted:

Oh boy! Who wants to work a week of doubles while sick with a mean little body-achey cold? Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :dance: :choco:

At least you bother to tough it out. All the pussy interns we have right now call out with the slightest little sickness.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Thumposaurus posted:

At least you bother to tough it out. All the pussy interns we have right now call out with the slightest little sickness.

I would stay home and wisely not expose the entire staff to my plague, but I can't afford to. I picked up another shift instead with my fingers crossed that I make enough this month for bills. I'd likely only take one day off and then tough the rest out, but I seriously can't do it. Just gonna shotgun dayquil until people ask if I'm drunk and sleep the second I make it home each night.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

I always feel a little guilty going to work sick- a newpaper article I read last week said that 80% of the foodborne illness in Minnesota comes from food workers coming in sick. At a lot of places you don't have the option not to turn up if you can't get your shift covered, but my deli actually does give you sick days. If I'm not unbearably sick I'll go to work anyway for the money, but it would be nice to know for oneself when you're the type of sick that it somehow passed on through food and when you're the type of sick that you can keep to yourself.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

No Wave posted:

It's a total nonsense statistic and I have no idea why they gave it to you, to be honest. It's not like you brought these customers into the restaurant.

This isn't to comment on your worth etc. as a server, I'm just signaling my confusion.

Oh, I don't place value in it, I was just trying to use it as an example for why even if I got paid a fair wage, I wouldn't murder their business. You are correct that I do not bring people into the restaurant, except the occasional person I mention my work to. That said, I definitely have a pretty consistent stable of regulars who ask for me, and so do most of my coworkers, and I doubt they'd come in as often if I didn't work there.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

spouse posted:

I was just trying to use it as an example for why even if I got paid a fair wage, I wouldn't murder their business.

Every cook feels this way. In a perfect world we'd all get paid decent wages, the establishment would have a service charge, and we'd all see a bit of that as a bonus.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

As the nyquil poisons my brain and sleep creeps over me like a knife-hiding lover, it has hit me, full force. Chefs, waiters, bussers, all of us. We go to work at restaurants for a reason.

We go in order to learn how to hate.

It's all so clear now.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Black August posted:

I would stay home and wisely not expose the entire staff to my plague, but I can't afford to. I picked up another shift instead with my fingers crossed that I make enough this month for bills. I'd likely only take one day off and then tough the rest out, but I seriously can't do it. Just gonna shotgun dayquil until people ask if I'm drunk and sleep the second I make it home each night.

making GBS threads/puking you stay home no matter what but these kids call out for the slightest headache or whatever.
When it snowed last week the one called out even though he is within a 10 min walk from the property and his roommate managed to walk in.
Meanwhile I spent the night(day) in one of our empty rooms because I couldn't get my car out of the parking lot.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Black August posted:

As the nyquil poisons my brain and sleep creeps over me like a knife-hiding lover, it has hit me, full force. Chefs, waiters, bussers, all of us. We go to work at restaurants for a reason.

It's all so clear now.

Please continue posting regularly for the next week. This is gonna be great. :allears:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Black August posted:

It's all so clear now.

Wait until you start binge drinking. I don't think I've had a handle of anything last more than a week at my house between me and the wife, and she's been out of the service industry in a cushy office job for over a year now!

I'm the only person in my side of the kitchen now, tyhere's an old fucker that got sick(double pneumonia and tuberculosis. Must be autoimmune) and came back that can't be on the buffet because he looks liek death, my actual assistant/apprentice is stuck on lunch buffet because our actual lunch buffet attendant was injured by the loving hunchback de notre dam and just doesn't want to go back to her old job and would rather do GM. gently caress life, gently caress everything, I need a vacation, and I need more rum!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

gently caress life, gently caress everything, I need a vacation, and I need more rum!

The rum might work out. The others? All I could think of was this:

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

GigaFool posted:

Three weeks into the Exec Chef job and I've finally got the new menu printed and in the books. They were using a printing company before, but I ended up doing it myself and printing it in-house to save money and to make it easier to modify. Now it's time to start tweaking the holdover items that I'm not happy with. Think anyone will complain if I change the chicken sandwiches/wraps to thighs instead of breasts?

People will always complain.

People are terrible.

Had one woman last week freak out on me in the elevator, when the manager went to go smooth it over she actually told him that someone like me should never dare to speak to someone like her.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Thumposaurus posted:

making GBS threads/puking you stay home no matter what but these kids call out for the slightest headache or whatever.
When it snowed last week the one called out even though he is within a 10 min walk from the property and his roommate managed to walk in.
Meanwhile I spent the night(day) in one of our empty rooms because I couldn't get my car out of the parking lot.

Had that happen to me once; dudes literally lived 5 blocks away and called in because of the weather. It took me well over an hour to drive the 23 miles that night.

I once watched my old man strap on a pair of skis to make it the two blocks to work only to be sent home because "why the gently caress is anybody there to answer the phone? Go home! Now!"

Kids these days :jerkbag:

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Stay home when you are sick and get your vaccinations; Comstock Saloon in SF had a staff member expose a bunch of people to hepatitis and had to release press releases saying "if you ate here on dates XYZ you may have been exposed" blah blah blah. And wash your damned hands.

Meh, finally got a job in wine country at a bar with a decent backbar; they do everything backwards and I hate it and I think they hate me but I have to be employed as a bartender to compete in Speedrack. I hate it here and am only living up here to care for my mom while she's being treated for breast cancer (I mentioned this before in here but restating so you know where I'm coming from) and I was down in SF visiting my new boyfriend and got offered two jobs while I was out making the rounds and visiting friends (he's a chef.) I want to cry and I miss Oakland/SF and there's almost no work here and definitely no decent work and I'm so stressed and I really want to win Speedrack SF and and and

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Jesus bro :(

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Can someone explain to me why servers seem to take being told that I'm cleaning the fryers and not to sell any fried food until I tell them as a challenge to ring in a ticket that's nothing but fried food within the next five minutes? Or why they think that telling the customer that it'll just be an extra five minutes is in any way helpful when even a quick cleaning of the fryers takes twenty minutes or so?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Because they hate you. And they might be stupid. But probably mostly hate.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Crazy Larry posted:

Can someone explain to me why servers seem to take being told that I'm cleaning the fryers and not to sell any fried food until I tell them as a challenge to ring in a ticket that's nothing but fried food within the next five minutes? Or why they think that telling the customer that it'll just be an extra five minutes is in any way helpful when even a quick cleaning of the fryers takes twenty minutes or so?

Why are you cleaning the fryers during service?

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

Why are you cleaning the fryers during service?

We're a 24 hour diner, so there's no other option.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.
Do you have more than one fryer? Can you clean one at a time?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Yeah.... today we cut out of work early for a ten wine tasting, then a catered bowling alley thing with more of said wine. This is a weird loving world.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Tweek posted:

Do you have more than one fryer? Can you clean one at a time?

Nah, it's just the one fryer, so there's really no option but to stop selling fried food for a time.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Why don't you just put a pot of oil on the stove while your cleaning the fryer? If I'm working a station and have to clean a fryer, I always drop the the oil as soon as I can to get the thing cleaned and fry stovetop if a have to. Shutting down a station blows, and then when your done with that, having to clean the fryer(on top of all the other poo poo you have to clean) is the extra kick in the balls I don't enjoy at the end of the night so I try to knock it out first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadingbutter
Dec 28, 2013

by Ralp
been rocking the dish pit at a high-volume restaurant for over 6 months now. i want to move up but my (highly-competant) head chef says my skill level is not high enough. dish crew tonight was "perfect". i love working with BoH and FoH but man those cooks egos just pour over however hard you work (the guy who trained me basically gave me an extra buttload of work but i slammed vitamins and took that up in stride.)

also for the thread: "this bacon is square."

edit: the cooks give me a hard time about how fast they get things back and how i don't flow with them, but hey i'm setting records with the hottest company in town (which is now 9 years old). clearing 1200 meals in 20 hours along with prep dishes is a damned nightmare, i won't be doing it again.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

breadingbutter fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Feb 22, 2014

• Locked thread