Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

You know I want to get the new DW8 for Vita but having played DW8 on the 360 has me worried. If it played slow and lovely on the 360, I can't imagine it being that great on the Vita unless they take out an ungodly amount of the enemies and effects. I guess thats the price you would pay for playing on a handheld but I kind of wonder how bad it will actually be. I've seen some of the videos of the Vita gameplay but it's hard to get a real handle on how it's actually playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The GIG posted:

Ambition Mode is pretty much the biggest chore to ever play so I don't blame anyone for not getting Plat/1000 in 8.

Seriously. I think I'll just call it a day and move forward. It was fun, though!

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

After ordering it, I read that Sengoku Basara 4 is less import-friendly than previous games in the series. :bang:
I also found a translation guide, so hopefully that will help...

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Portable Staplefrog posted:

After ordering it, I read that Sengoku Basara 4 is less import-friendly than previous games in the series. :bang:
I also found a translation guide, so hopefully that will help...

Read this post, went "Hahaha oh it can't be THAT bad" then clicked the link.

:stare: Well poo poo, it's like Capcom is actively loving with foreign fans now. Adding this to favorites.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Because of the way Vita handles suspending, I think Ambition Mode is going to be a lot more tolerable there.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Read this post, went "Hahaha oh it can't be THAT bad" then clicked the link.

If I accept that much of the game is going to go over my my head and play anyway, it's still worth it. The confusion kind of enhances the SB experience even.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
DW8 appears to be up on the Japanese PSN store, but only for those who are upgrading from PS3. The "What's New" menu suggests that it'll be out "properly" tomorrow Japan time, though. Downloading now.

edit: and it's going super slow. Doesn't look like it'll even finish the initial download before I head off to work.

uiruki fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 19, 2014

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

If I accept that much of the game is going to go over my my head and play anyway, it's still worth it. The confusion kind of enhances the SB experience even.

Most of the menus are pretty intuitive once you've worked with the weapon system a bit, plus the tutorial prompts usually have pretty clear pictures. If you want to really min-max your weapon inscriptions or use certain combos of books, that requires a bit more memorization and/or kanji knowledge.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
The PS4 version of DW8 doesn't run that well. In fact, the framerate might even be worse than the PS3 version, though I haven't checked. Koei in their wisdom have decided to "use" the Dual Shock 4, too - voices come out of the speaker (and can't be switched off short of muting the speaker in the system settings, even though they still play on the TV!) and they have decided to use the touchpad button as the start/pause button while every other game I've tried has used Options. There's also a completely overdone bloom/blur effect, which can thankfully be turned off.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
What? I thought it was running at 60fps?

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

abagofcheetos posted:

What? I thought it was running at 60fps?

It's spent a total of about 5 seconds at 60 in what I've played. I just finished Chi Bi and in the fire it was down in the teens somewhere, complete with actual slowdown. It stutters like crazy in the cutscenes, too.

edit: I mean, it does run at 1080 with a lot more guys on screen, but the framerate just isn't back where it should be. Hopefully they fix it next time round, but given how badly the Samurai Warriors 2 HD collection ran I just don't think they care very much anymore.

uiruki fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 20, 2014

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

That's kind of shocking to hear. I watched like 8 hours of the Chinese PS4 release and it looked smooth as silk.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
It will if you're watching a 30fps video. It's above that pretty much all of the time.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It still has split screen coop, right?

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Yes. Just quickly tried it, it tries to stay at 30 (and doesn't go higher) but tends to drop from that too.

I played a few missions more in single player, it spends more time at higher framerates, but I'm still yet to see 60 when anything is happening at all. I'll have to try another story next time, I just don't like most of Shu's generals. It's pretty crazy when you trigger Kakusei with a lot of guys around because there are so many more on screen.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
All I care about is more goons hit when I swing a weapon and less pop-in of goons that should've gotten hit moments after my weapon passes through where they were.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
That's definitely what you'll get. There are enemy camps which are just stuffed with guys for you to get ridiculous combos on. The problem is that the shield soldiers in DW8 are the absolute worst. Five hits to knock out the shield, then one to KO - they just seem to be there to frustrate.

It seems buggier than what I played on PS3 - I've had two Musou attacks go through the startup animation and then just not happen. Then going through the system video replay to try and work out what happened, I noticed that it doesn't seem to record sound on shared video either. That's probably deliberate.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
So wait, is officer pop-in worse or better in the PS4 version? Now that I'm on the home stretch of platting the game I'm doing a lot more blitzes of levels where I end up having to wait for a moment for the officers to actually appear. I've also found some spots where the terrain doesn't pop up if you're too quick which doesn't really matter because you get used to where you need to go.

Also, just realized you have to do bonds on a male character and a female character so guess I'll spend another week grinding those out again.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
It's much, much better - my complaint is the framerate. I've not seen any soldier pop-in, only a piece of scenery (a big container thing), oddly enough.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

The GIG posted:

Ambition Mode is pretty much the biggest chore to ever play so I don't blame anyone for not getting Plat/1000 in 8.
It's getting the weapons for me. Not the 5 star ones (with those you at least know what the hell to do), but the ones which look like the normal ones but for some reason aren't. When I started listening to podcast while looking for them I realised that I wasn't having fun playing a videogame and decided to just not plat the game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It appears that you could give Omega Force all the memory and graphic power in the world and they still wouldn't be able to overcome graphics obstacles that basically everyone else did away with like ten years ago.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Am I being dumb when I say 'who else is doing games like this?'?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bloodly posted:

Namco-Bandai has things like Kamen Rider Battride War (although I hear that's shittier than DW) and ever-increasing melees are showing up in quite a few games.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Capcom has the BASARA franchise but there's only one notable game of it in English.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bloodly posted:

Well, Capcom's Basara series, but it is becoming less similar to those games all the time. Yeah, Koei has the market for this kind of game more or less cornered, and thus no serious motive to innovate. If there was a better game where you could run around real battlefields as mythical historical figures slaying bazillions of people and yelling about ultimate justice or whatever, but technically and gameplay superior to the Musou series, I'd be playing that instead.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Drakengard is kind of like DW. I haven't played 2 or 3, but from what I've played of the first one it's pretty similar.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, Capcom's Basara series, but it is becoming less similar to those games all the time. Yeah, Koei has the market for this kind of game more or less cornered, and thus no serious motive to innovate. If there was a better game where you could run around real battlefields as mythical historical figures slaying bazillions of people and yelling about ultimate justice or whatever, but technically and gameplay superior to the Musou series, I'd be playing that instead.

I tend to think of them as '3D walk-along-beat-em-ups, with objectives'. Ken's Rage and things like Bladestorm and even that old 'Total Warrior' thing Sega did make me think this more. There were attempts earlier, of course. I'm sure there's plenty I've missed. Not quite like Musou, of course.

I wonder why KOEI/Omega have been the only ones?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Practically every attempt by another company to do a DW clone has ended up an unplayable pile of poo poo, so I'm not surprised people don't bother any more.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

Practically every attempt by another company to do a DW clone has ended up an unplayable pile of poo poo, so I'm not surprised people don't bother any more.
Honestly Musou is a pretty loving low bar from a gameplay perspective so its embarrassing that no one has done better. Even Basara is just another kind of bad, really.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Probably for the same reasons as the Arma series' lack of innovation: Because no one else cares enough to try.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Honestly Musou is a pretty loving low bar from a gameplay perspective so its embarrassing that no one has done better. Even Basara is just another kind of bad, really.

That seems...harsh. You can say that about a lot of things. It's no worse than Final Fight(As a 'for instance'). Especially since the series(From the outside-ain't played since 5) is turning more and more towards fighting alone against a horde rather than helping allies. Then again, turning away from that means we don't get hell like DW4 Nanman. Good or bad?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I was more thinking the difficulty curve. In any given Musou game there is this narrow sweet spot that is an intersection between your character's level (and equipment and stuff), the stage's difficulty, and the difficulty setting you set it to, where it is thrilling but you don't have to worry about officers instakilling you with a single lucky shot. It takes hours and hours of gameplay to get to this part of the game, and then is over once your characters go past a certain level. If it was like other, better designed action games, the whole game would be like that from start to finish.

edit: some Musou games have a longer sweet spot than others. For me, Orochi 1 seems to have the longest one of all, which extends basically from the beginning of the game to 3/4 through or so.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Feb 21, 2014

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Mmmm. I take your point. I don't tend to get to that point as much. I still ain't gotten everything(Stages and characters included) in DW4, have only done up to Hard(no Chaos) in DW5 and don't have all ultimate weapons(Mostly slower people or people who I have issues getting it or where the stage itself is a pain).

So in many ways I both have and have never had that kind of issue. I guess I'm a bad player. The 'Normal game' is good/bad enough. Lots of dangerous moments later on. It's why I always wonder when I read about how eay the game is or how they crush everything everywhere. Never been in quite that situation.

...Wish I could play a newer one without buying a console too. See what it's like.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I think that the number of bad Musou style games just shows that it isn't as simple or brain dead as people think.

On that difficulty "sweet spot" point, I thought the difficulty on Sengoku Basara 4 in the first few missions starting from level 1 is pretty good. It's just a shame that most characters don't seem to have their most interesting moves then. Then again, I find blowing up 100 mobile suits at once with a charged shot in Shin Gundam Musou fun, so I'm perhaps not the best at judging it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Samurai Sanders posted:

The thing of it is, only looks easy because Koei have spent years refining the games (the older ones were pretty bad too), someone else comes along and thinks, hey, just plonk a ton of enemies down on a big map add a few characters to combo them to death and you're done. Except that only works in a specific way, otherwise you end up with stuff like Ninety Nine Nights (or worse, the sequel) full of bullshit bosses and combos that go on far too long to be useful, four enemy types and long levels with no saves or checkpoints.

The best DW 'clones' are the Xbox Kingdom Under Fire games, and they add a ton of RTS micro management to the only okay stabbing lots of dudes bits.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Tricky posted:

Most of the menus are pretty intuitive once you've worked with the weapon system a bit, plus the tutorial prompts usually have pretty clear pictures. If you want to really min-max your weapon inscriptions or use certain combos of books, that requires a bit more memorization and/or kanji knowledge.
This is increasingly true. I have no idea how to read most of these menu options, but I can now mostly use them. I still can't find the exp gauge. (SB4)

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
So, uh, were those story movies in DW7 supposed to unlock when I beat all four stories, or am I stuck at 24% forever? That's some bullshit if I am, I already paid for the game and didn't know you can't Remix a PSN copy.

E: oh hey looks like those fuckers didn't include the movies in the download version.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 24, 2014

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

This is increasingly true. I have no idea how to read most of these menu options, but I can now mostly use them. I still can't find the exp gauge. (SB4)

The whole EXP system seems like it got shoved into the mission prep screen where you equip weapons and check your movelist. It's the bottom option and you can use your banked EXP or check the amount needed to level.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I finally updated the OP for the release of DW8 and realized I don't actually know what new things are in DW8 XL besides a ton of characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Belzac posted:

I finally updated the OP for the release of DW8 and realized I don't actually know what new things are in DW8 XL besides a ton of characters.

When it comes out, or later today, I can put together something if it helps. Up to you!