Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

radical meme posted:

Listening to Mark Levin on the way home and he and some law professor from California were having masturbatory fantasies about a ballot initiative to break California into 6 separate states. Given that its California and that the ballot initiative is being sponsored and funded by a venture capital billionaire, Tim Draper, I don't doubt that they will get the signatures they need to get it on the ballot. At that point, the law professor was saying that it would be a done deal if the initiative passed and that even if Congress doesn't approve it, the proposed legislation is written in such a way that California will still have to function as 6 separate states until the bill is passed or the time for passage lapses. The initiative is written in such a way that it would be win if they win and even a win if they loose situation. So how scared should we be that California will put at least 10 new Republican Senators into Congress?

States can't unilaterally decide to split into more states. That has to be approved by congress. Congress can't do it without the state's permission, but they are the only ones who can do it. There's no way in hell that poo poo would make it through unless Republicans controlled everything and even then it would probably be tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

radical meme posted:

Listening to Mark Levin on the way home and he and some law professor from California were having masturbatory fantasies about a ballot initiative to break California into 6 separate states. Given that its California and that the ballot initiative is being sponsored and funded by a venture capital billionaire, Tim Draper, I don't doubt that they will get the signatures they need to get it on the ballot. At that point, the law professor was saying that it would be a done deal if the initiative passed and that even if Congress doesn't approve it, the proposed legislation is written in such a way that California will still have to function as 6 separate states until the bill is passed or the time for passage lapses. The initiative is written in such a way that it would be win if they win and even a win if they loose situation. So how scared should we be that California will put at least 10 new Republican Senators into Congress?
Forcing San Bernardino to go with Orange County. gently caress that.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Modern Day Hercules posted:

States can't unilaterally decide to split into more states. That has to be approved by congress. Congress can't do it without the state's permission, but they are the only ones who can do it. There's no way in hell that poo poo would make it through unless Republicans controlled everything and even then it would probably be tough.

The final split has to be approved, but they've written the drat thing so that they don't even care if Congress passes it cause they get to gently caress over all the blue parts of California as long as the initiative passes. Like I said, win win.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

radical meme posted:

The final split has to be approved, but they've written the drat thing so that they don't even care if Congress passes it cause they get to gently caress over all the blue parts of California as long as the initiative passes. Like I said, win win.

That's highly unlikely. Even if it did end up on the ballot, and did end up passing, it would immediately be challenged in court which would prevent it from being implemented and there's no way that sort of bill makes it through a constitutional challenge. No serious court would allow that sort of weirdo poo poo.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

How exactly is it a win/win is what I'm wondering. They're not going to be able to send extra senators to Washington without federal ratification, and representatives are apportioned based mostly on population. Unless they've chosen some really wonky way of choosing the two senators they'd still get, I don't see how they'd benefit.

e: I poked around a bit, but I don't see many details on this thing

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
There's no way something like that passes. No one living in California wants to suddenly find out they live in Fresnofornia. It would be like that Seinfeld episode with the area codes.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just regurgitating what Levin and his guest were discussing but according to the guest law professor, the initiative would be binding on California during the interim, waiting for congressional approval. That way, California, as a State would have to function as 6 separate states, with 6 separate taxing and legislative authorities. From a Federal standpoint, it might not matter, but, from a legislative/taxing standpoint, they would get to direct taxing and regulation in their own little fiefdoms. Again, this is coming from Levin's guest. Anyway you look at it, it could create a constitutional nightmare which is the intent of the billionaire behind it. Why not buy your own state if you can afford it?

Plus, this is a great way to push people who would love to see it happen to the polls in November.

Here's the entire initiative if you want to read it.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 21, 2014

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

pd187 posted:

EDIT: I dunno if you think the Lincoln Heights Literary Society is better than an MST3k fansite, but there's also this:

http://liheliso.com/Interviews/MikeNelson030704.html

quote:

And obviously, you can be a wonderful, completely moral, thoroughly beautiful human being without a belief in God (I think it's much more difficult, and you'd be pulling it off in spite of your beliefs, not because of them.) But on the intellectual plane, many Atheist thinkers have tried to construct a framework for morality and all of them have been unconvincing. To my thinking, "morality" is meaningless unless you talk about "absolute morality." And you can't do that without bringing God into it.
I can't help but notice that it's only the religious who can't seem to figure out how the non-religious manage to be moral. In real life religion or lack thereof is absolutely useless for predicting how moral someone is.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Well, of course a person who is not religious will figure out that one can be moral without a religion.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

And, is it just me, or does it seem like those that complain about personal taxes the most are either just bad at business or otherwise peaked in terms of income?
Let's think about that list. Carolla, Rob Schneider, Dee Schneider, Jon Lovitz, Victoria Jackson, Kelsey Grammer, Ted Nugent, Vince Vaughn, Dave Musta- okay, yeah, I think we've got enough anecdotal research to fund this study.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

radical meme posted:

No, they don't 'get' to do that.

Like if I write a ballot measure that says I'm king of America, and buy enough votes for that, I don't actually become king of America because the federal government will go 'what, are you retarded? No.' because that's their jurisdiction.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Don't shoot the messenger man. I'm just repeating what the guy said and if you read the initiative, then its clear that you have a billionaire that has put more than a little thought into it, that he's trying to create chaos in California and he has the money to do it.

I don't know if the thing will pass but I do know that Draper and other monied interest will likely pour some bucks into trying to make it happen. I hope someone steps up and puts a stop to it before it even has a chance to make the ballot but that may not happen. I question whether a court would have the power to stop a ballot initiative before it goes to a vote. It's California and anything is possible.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 21, 2014

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Like if I write a ballot measure that says I'm king of America, and buy enough votes for that, I don't actually become king of America because the federal government will go 'what, are you retarded? No.' because that's their jurisdiction.

The hell you don't. :colbert:

I just wanted an excuse to post that because it's the greatest story

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

radical meme posted:

Don't shoot the messenger man. I'm just repeating what the guy said and if you read the initiative, then its clear that you have a billionaire that has put more than a little thought into it, that he's trying to create chaos in California and he has the money to do it.

I don't know if the thing will pass but I do know that Draper and other monied interest will likely pour some bucks into trying to make it happen. I hope someone steps up and puts a stop to it before it even has a chance to make the ballot but that may not happen. I question whether a court would have the power to stop a ballot initiative before it goes to a vote. It's California and anything is possible.

Billionaires are routinely idiots. I don't know why you brought that up as if it changes things. I also don't know which monied interests would be interested in pouring cash into this initiative. Why would they gently caress with the status quo that got them rich? This is the fools errand of a few idiots. You're getting really concerned over something that might as well be a ballot initiative to reintroduce the wild unicorn into the redwood forests.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Given Mike Nelson's lack of history of saying or supporting terrible things, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Dude seems to be an older style conservative who I would not agree with but could live with.

Mike Nelson is a hardcore conservative. He's also a professional and knows to spread his targets. I'm as big a socalist as it gets, and to be perfectly fair the side I've seen attacked the most in his recent work are libertarians. Pretty much every time someone is shown being brainwashed or having something weird done to their head, there is a "You're now a Ron Paul supporter!" quip. There's even a short about freedom of expression with a bona-fide nazi in which they say he'd fit right in at a Ron Paul rally.

And my personal favorite, in Star Wars Episode II, when Anakin is talking to Palpatine at the weird bubble opera thing.

Palpatine: You see, some people do not have much appreciation for democracy.

Kevin: Libertarians?

Much as I wish he'd see things differently, he's not an agitator and does decent work consistently. And some of his digs at liberals are obviously prompted by movies/scenes that make them inescapable if they really want to reach a wide audience and go for every joke. Like the one in The Dark Knight, when the Joker blows up a hospital and they quip "Single-payer healthcare, day one."

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Yeah, I'll accept that he's pretty hardcore conservative, and that does inform his comedy to some extent, but he's not a conservative comic. He doesn't put his ideology ahead of his humor, and he doesn't use the latter to heavily promote the former.

And there's nothing inherently wrong with ripping on liberals. Like all people, we can be ridiculous and silly, and if we can't handle some jokes we deserve the ridicule that brings.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot
Conservative comedy:

http://homeofthegnome.net/mc/Greatest%20Salesman.mp3

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
There's another problem with being a conservative comic. Being conservative also means holding back. So if you're conservative with your comedy, it's likely going to be very mediocre and have nothing noteworthy to say or any edge or bite to it.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

radical meme posted:

Listening to Mark Levin on the way home and he and some law professor from California were having masturbatory fantasies about a ballot initiative to break California into 6 separate states.

What I found most hilarious about this whole thing was how much Levin seemed to dig the idea, even though he often criticizes Democrats for trying to Balkanize America. This plan to break up California right along party fault lines is like textbook Balkanization. But that is okay because it would easily produce half a dozen new Republican senators.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, I'll accept that he's pretty hardcore conservative, and that does inform his comedy to some extent, but he's not a conservative comic. He doesn't put his ideology ahead of his humor, and he doesn't use the latter to heavily promote the former.

And there's nothing inherently wrong with ripping on liberals. Like all people, we can be ridiculous and silly, and if we can't handle some jokes we deserve the ridicule that brings.

I agree, with the caveat that the humor (whether aimed at libs or cons) must be based in truth to be funny. For example, joking about liberals wanting "happy holidays" to replace "merry christmas" is stupid and unfunny, because it's based on right wing persecution fantasy, and stuff like mocking diversity or equality, which is just spiteful ranting.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

What I found most hilarious about this whole thing was how much Levin seemed to dig the idea, even though he often criticizes Democrats for trying to Balkanize America. This plan to break up California right along party fault lines is like textbook Balkanization. But that is okay because it would easily produce half a dozen new Republican senators.

It's okay if the Republicans break the rules because they play it up like it's for the good of the country or state or whatever. Doesn't matter if it's as low as bellyaching about things and stalling for time or as awful as genocide. But if the other team does it oh hell no.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

ReindeerF posted:

Let's think about that list. Carolla, Rob Schneider, Dee Schneider, Jon Lovitz, Victoria Jackson, Kelsey Grammer, Ted Nugent, Vince Vaughn, Dave Musta- okay, yeah, I think we've got enough anecdotal research to fund this study.

Bill Maher bitches about taxes all the goddamn time and he's still doing fairly well.

beatlegs posted:

I agree, with the caveat that the humor (whether aimed at libs or cons) must be based in truth to be funny. For example, joking about liberals wanting "happy holidays" to replace "merry christmas" is stupid and unfunny, because it's based on right wing persecution fantasy, and stuff like mocking diversity or equality, which is just spiteful ranting.

So all conservative humor, then? Most of the funny digs at liberals are self-deprecating humor.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

beatlegs posted:

I agree, but there is truth to naive liberals making awkward attempts at multiculturalism, which is where I find humor in the gag in question.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Bill Maher bitches about taxes all the goddamn time and he's still doing fairly well.
Yeah, I don't think you're going to find any case where it's 100% of anyone. Maher's also had progressive get-off-my-lawn disease for a decade or so. Last podcast that hit my feed had he and the incredibly un-funny PJ O'Rourke doing a non-ironic "when we were kids!" back and forth for like 2-3 minutes. That's all combined with that batshit entertainment industry nutbarism where you make fun of people for not believing in evolution and then openly protest vaccines. Then there's his constant, "Well, look, Israel has a right to..." crap.

Basically, he's a typical New York (Jersey, whatever) refugee who has moved to a sunny area with all his money and grows increasingly conservative while holding on to the political labels and some of the progressive beliefs that don't cross any of his soft spots.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

ReindeerF posted:

Yeah, I don't think you're going to find any case where it's 100% of anyone. Maher's also had progressive get-off-my-lawn disease for a decade or so. Last podcast that hit my feed had he and the incredibly un-funny PJ O'Rourke doing a non-ironic "when we were kids!" back and forth for like 2-3 minutes. That's all combined with that batshit entertainment industry nutbarism where you make fun of people for not believing in evolution and then openly protest vaccines. Then there's his constant, "Well, look, Israel has a right to..." crap.

Basically, he's a typical New York (Jersey, whatever) refugee who has moved to a sunny area with all his money and grows increasingly conservative while holding on to the political labels and some of the progressive beliefs that don't cross any of his soft spots.

And Maher is also an example of some one who has peaked and can't admit it to himself. When it comes to blending comedy and politics for a TV audience, he is solidly behind The Daily Show and Colbert.

He's not going to squeeze any more money out of his HBO show because it will never compete with the audiences and buzz that those other 2 (better) shows can get with the more accessible Comedy Central. He admits to being changed by 9/11, which basically means he is suffering from mild PTSD. Combine his other nutty beliefs with his smug attitude, and the Bill Maher brand is circling the drain.

So yah, the only way Maher is going to take home a bigger paycheck is by paying less taxes, because doing his third rate show behind a pay wall and flailing all over the political spectrum isn't going to make him any wealthier.

edit;

Actually, reading up on what else he has been up to lately, and it sounds like he is going into producing and doing some other stuff with his money. So if he is smart, he'll find other ways to grow his revenue, because selling "Bill Maher" as a comedian/personality isn't going to do it.

Beowulfs_Ghost fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Feb 21, 2014

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I will give Bill a thing: he has panels. He even gets conservatives as guests. Real, hard-core, not-half-hearted, Global Warming is a hoax and every other stupid talking point on his show. He tries to keep the audience and the libs on the panel from getting too insulting and I admit I kinda respect that about him.
What I don't like is, well, mostly his comedy. His bits are 85% bad, his monologues are 95% bad, he laughs every time he sets up a bit; and his version of Dennis Miller's "I don't wanna get off on a rant here" at the end of every show is hit-or-miss. Sometimes I really think he hits the nail on the head, other times I hold my face in my hands and shake my head, "No, Bill, don't."

As I've said before, at least he's mostly stopped chiding his audience for not laughing much at his lame political jokes in the monologue.

I make a point to catch every show, but it's really only good when they have at least one solid conservative/loving nutjob on the panel to argue with.

e: And by that I mean, it doesn't usually sink all the way to the old Crossfire levels of everybody screaming at once.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, his material is really the worst part of the show - especially the bit they do about a quarter of the way through where they have the mocked up posters or book covers or whatever. God those are all like hand-over-your-eyes-groaning unfunny. I tune in for the guests mostly, though I never know whether he's going to drag the interview or panel in some crazy direction.

In positive news, Bugler John Oliver's new HBO show Last Week Tonight is set to debut in April. I find him pretty loving hilarious when he's on about current events and politics and such, so I hope it works out. We could use some of that more understated, biting British humor in our American politinfotainment landscape.

EDIT: Off on the right foot:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/john-oliver-talks-new-hbo-669779

quote:

...Oliver said, adding that he will continue to seek Stewart’s advice as he’s done for the past seven and a half years. (Oliver suggested he hadn’t done the same of fellow HBO comedian Bill Maher, but said he intends to do via email, and joked that the gesture likely would entail a fruit basket.)

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

beatlegs posted:

You know, this is often bandied about as the reason Conservative Comedians aren't funny and can't be funny because if they could actually see the truth, they wouldn't be conservatives.

"Single-payer Day one" doesn't have a grain of factual basis to it. Never-the-less, it is funny.

Stewart Lee has lots of facts in his stuff, but he's not particularly funny.

Dennis Miller, when he was a liberal, was not particularly funny. (To say nothing of now)

Bob Hope, on the other hand, was conservative as the day is long and has decades of funny material.

Truth is a subjective concept, and not really at all essential to being funny. You're missing a really key element to something being funny: the absurdity of the premise and the spirit it's offered in.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

He's also peaked. Like everyone else on that list.

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Feb 21, 2014

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Dr. Faustus posted:

I will give Bill a thing: he has panels. He even gets conservatives as guests. Real, hard-core, not-half-hearted, Global Warming is a hoax and every other stupid talking point on his show. He tries to keep the audience and the libs on the panel from getting too insulting and I admit I kinda respect that about him.
What I don't like is, well, mostly his comedy. His bits are 85% bad, his monologues are 95% bad, he laughs every time he sets up a bit; and his version of Dennis Miller's "I don't wanna get off on a rant here" at the end of every show is hit-or-miss. Sometimes I really think he hits the nail on the head, other times I hold my face in my hands and shake my head, "No, Bill, don't."

As I've said before, at least he's mostly stopped chiding his audience for not laughing much at his lame political jokes in the monologue.

I make a point to catch every show, but it's really only good when they have at least one solid conservative/loving nutjob on the panel to argue with.

e: And by that I mean, it doesn't usually sink all the way to the old Crossfire levels of everybody screaming at once.
I'm sort of repeating you but I think his opening and the bit is mostly very bad and his end-of-show monologues are actually pretty good. The panels are SO MUCH better than they should be. Basically it's the opposite of America's Funniest Home Videos, which is a can't-fail premise that the show managed to fail or at least come as close to failing as possible. It's a can't-be-good premise that is watchable or at least as close to watchable as possible. I like it when he chides the audience for going "OOOH" over something that is only superficially offensive or when they are being dumb cheerleaders, which I've heard him do a lot more of then chide them for not laughing. It's satisfying and only people who have spent a lot of time on stage can pull that kind of thing off.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

OH NO WHITE GUILT

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2014/02/20/slave-plays-guilt-card-oscar-push

quote:

The studio behind the harrowing drama 12 Years a Slave thinks "it's time" the film win an Oscar or two. Maybe more.

Fox Searchlight is using that two-word phrase as part of its awards season ad campaign in newspaper and television spots for the celebrated film.

The implications are many. It's time to honor a film that reminds the nation anew of its slavery sins. It's time, perhaps, for an industry which continues to struggle with diversity issues to award a film made by a black director, Steve McQueen, and starring a black actor, Chiwetel Ejiofor.

The issue of guilt, or more specifically white guilt, isn't a topic suddenly tied to the film. A BBC interview which aired earlier this year asked McQueen for his reaction to a black writer who said race films are "made for liberal white film goers because they'll end up feeling guilty, and that's really the purpose of them."

"I don't make films for white people," McQueen said in response, laughing. "I make art because I'm an artist ... my film is about us, rather than specific people."

That's a fine answer, of course. The studio behind the film, however, may be hoping some of that stirred up guilt will be a factor when it comes time to make those crucial Oscar votes.

There could be other interpretations to the tag line. The film is an uncomfortable proposition for some viewers given its violent nature and connection to real-life atrocities. The ads may be suggesting "it's time" to watch an important movie rather than, say, RoboCop.

The message also reminds us of the campaigning behind recent Oscar victories. It's not enough to make a great movie these days. A film's actors must say all the right things during interviews, shmooze the right press members and, at times, spread the right message--think An Inconvenient Truth.

12 Years a Slave is a powerful film, and should it win the coveted Best Picture Oscar come March 2 few will see the victory as an upset or slight against the competition. Saying "it's time" for the movie to win a major prize actually dulls the glory it has every right to receive.

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 21, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Being white is pretty cool, whenever a black guy does a thing we still get to smugly lean back and go 'nope, didn't count' if they get any attention for it.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I really don't get all the Maher hate, never get it.

There's tons of lame crap on his how (his monologues and mid show bits are usually pretty atrocious) but the actual show part is pretty much the only show on American television where bullshit American sacred cows can be lambasted and questioned. He calls conservatives out on their bullshit, people can express real opinions outside the "Overton window", Jeremy Scahil and Matt Taibbi get a voice. For all its flaws, its pretty much the only honest political conversation on American television.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My biggest problem with Maher is that he really seems to go off on Muslims a lot. He's one of those athiests who hates most religions, but heaps the most scorn on Islam.

I agree though that at least he lets people like Greenwald, Scahill, Taibbi, Amy Goodman, etc. have a voice.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Gozinbulx posted:

There's tons of lame crap on his how (his monologues and mid show bits are usually pretty atrocious) but the actual show part is pretty much the only show on American television where bullshit American sacred cows can be lambasted and questioned. He calls conservatives out on their bullshit, people can express real opinions outside the "Overton window", Jeremy Scahil and Matt Taibbi get a voice. For all its flaws, its pretty much the only honest political conversation on American television.

Anti-vaxxer.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

I'm pretty sure this charge is completely over blown to the point of being bullshit. I know theres some quote floating around from like 5 years ago but I think that's hardly indicative of a firmly set belief. If he is truly anti-vax then yes he's stupid, doesn't change the content of his show.

Also yes, his unusual fascination with Islam is troublesome. Again, he and his show are flawed, but it doesn't mean it still isn't the most honest debate show on tv.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
He's like a 3 on a 1-10 scale of anti-vaxxer, he is overly pro-Israel, he says THOSE middle-eastern countries are backwards in a lot of ways (I basically agree with this even though it's an unsavory issue to be passionate about), and he's probably overcompensating with the women he couldn't get in high school in a semi-creepy way. This concludes my report on what I find lacking in Bill Maher. Still like him.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gozinbulx posted:

He hates Muslims super hard, like, he goes beyond 'this specific law the Muslim nation is doing is backwards' and into "THE FUCKIN SAVAGES ARE AT IT AGAIN", he's a pretty creepy misogynist about a lot of things, he only really goes after right wing 'sacred cows' but lets stupid rear end neo-liberals spout whatever trash they want because they're on his team, and Religious sucked super hard and was a bunch of smug internet atheist level trash that he thinks is really meaningful and strong.

He's also a huge zionist, which is hilarious because he makes fun of right wingers for being too pro-Israel but it's ok when he does it.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Gozinbulx posted:

I'm pretty sure this charge is completely over blown to the point of being bullshit.

This is Maher summing up his anti-vax stance, such as it is.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

eviltastic posted:

Okay he's 6 out of 10 on anti-vaxxer scale :) He's just asking questions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

eviltastic posted:

It's not "vaccines cause autism" level crazy, no. I'd give him a 3/10 really. He had adequate caveats to his positions, and kept his analysis rooted in debatable positions rather than hyperbolic vitriol.

I personally don't get a flu shot, because I found the drawbacks to getting it (invariably: the flu for 2-3 weeks) when I was forced to in the Navy outweighed the risk avoidance. I've been flu-free ever since I stopped taking the shot. So I don't take a huge umbrage with his position of each person considering whether or not they're a reasonable candidate for a flu shot every year.

If he poo poo on MMR vaccines or HPV? Then yeah he's retarded. But he didn't.

Bill's relatively centrist in today's America outside of his near-libertarianism when it comes to social issues (gender/sexual equality, drug policy, military industrial drawdown). His show's good considering it's nearest analogue would be the shitfire that is Crossfire.

I don't think he fits into this thread's "Right Wing Media" focus too well.