Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Samurai Sanders posted:

You have got to be exaggerating. For me it's 30 seconds, no more than that. The initial version of the Japanese version was significantly longer sometimes but they patched it within a week or so.

That's an underexaggeration, if anything. I only started counting the minutes after we'd been waiting for a few already, so I started keeping track at 8:44 and it was 8:51 when it finally finished loading. I heard the 360 version runs way, way better? It's definitely odd because it's a hdd install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Uh, wow, yeah. I've never gotten longer than 30 second, MAYBE a little longer load times on the 360.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Luceid posted:

That's an underexaggeration, if anything. I only started counting the minutes after we'd been waiting for a few already, so I started keeping track at 8:44 and it was 8:51 when it finally finished loading. I heard the 360 version runs way, way better? It's definitely odd because it's a hdd install.
Something must be seriously wrong. I have the PS3, HDD install version, if that matters.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Average load time for me on PS3disc with 2 people is between 2 and 3 minutes per mission when online, so I could believe it.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Something must be seriously wrong. I have the PS3, HDD install version, if that matters.

Yeah, I definitely believe everyone having normal load times. I'll try resetting the PS3, who knows. It's one of those newer-model ones where you pull open the top to insert a disc, not the old model with the matte finish, if that means anything.

Edit: On a much happier note, the Fire Warrior vehicle kicks rear end. We're off to a good start.

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
Is that couch co-op or online? Because I'm getting 30-ish second load times on the PS3, maybe up to a minute tops. Certainly nothing much worse than what I got from 2017 and 2017P.

Also, I tried Fencer out on the first stage. Goddamn that is a hilarious class. I ended up painting my Fencer red and boosting everywhere, making half-remembered Mobile Suit Gundam quotes.

On the other hand, Fencer can't call in an actual giant robot, sooo.....

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Yalborap posted:

Is that couch co-op or online? Because I'm getting 30-ish second load times on the PS3, maybe up to a minute tops. Certainly nothing much worse than what I got from 2017 and 2017P.

Also, I tried Fencer out on the first stage. Goddamn that is a hilarious class. I ended up painting my Fencer red and boosting everywhere, making half-remembered Mobile Suit Gundam quotes.

On the other hand, Fencer can't call in an actual giant robot, sooo.....

Couch co-op play. We don't really mind the loading times that much, the first mission to feature spiders in it was probably the first real offender because of a huge loading time for a short cutscene followed by another huge loading time. It's okay, it just means time to get up and get a drink or thumb through a book while I wait to get my support role on.

The game is Version 1.00, should it be a further version along if there's a patch?

Edit: Weird, rebooting sped things up. Who knows.

Luceid fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Feb 21, 2014

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I got an early copy of this last weekend and Ive already put more time into it and got more enjoyment out of it than more or less every big budget release from last year. This game owns.

In case anyone didnt know already, a good way to get some more powerful weapons is to take your strongest weapons and go back to do early levels on inferno difficulty. The ants will take a lot of punishment but I did this on levels 2 and 7 a few times last night and got some really good stuff. It seems like better stuff is starting to drop on hard difficulty as well though, as I go through the story (Im on mission 33 or so right now)

Also if youre using the reflector as a fencer, the spiders web shots can be reflected back onto them for a one hit kill every time, even on inferno difficulty.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

We laughed our asses off after summoning the E25 titan for the first time. I don't know if it's actually useful, but it's fun, and this game definitely keeps getting more fun the more I play.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Luceid posted:

We laughed our asses off after summoning the E25 titan for the first time. I don't know if it's actually useful, but it's fun, and this game definitely keeps getting more fun the more I play.

I immediately killed myself.

I summoned it in a trivial level because I wanted to test the main gun. I got it and pulled both attacks but realized I was in a gunner position, so I got out to head up front.

Except the grenade dispenser I'd fired went off then and killed me.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Goons lied! The framerate on ps3 is pretty distractingly horrible, and not anywhere near 2017's framerate on the 360. We just ran through all of 2017 before jumping to 2025 so it's a pretty tough adjustment. Argh... I feel REALLY dumb dropping $50 on the ps3 version when we have a 360 sitting right there.

edit: googled around and apparently splitscreen performance is way worse than single-player. I only play splitscreen, so that's a big deal.

edit2: people online say that disabling screen shake makes framerate way higher in splitscreen? Will try it when I get home, but jesus.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 21, 2014

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Jesus christ EU PSN hurry the gently caress up, I want to blow up some ants and go on a thrilling underground expedition.

Downloading the game at the fabulous speed of 1 MB a minute. On a 100 Mbit/s connection. Which is working perfectly fine on everything else. :suicide:

Zero000
Mar 8, 2008

Woof.
This game loves to lock up on PS3, have to shut down the PS3 every time something goes wrong with the online matchmaking.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Polo-Rican posted:

Goons lied! The framerate on ps3 is pretty distractingly horrible, and not anywhere near 2017's framerate on the 360.

The framerate on the first ten missions or so is the worst, because there's so many goddamn civilians. It improves sharply once they're out of the way.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Has there been any true confirmation that load times are shorter with the PS3 digital version vs. the disc version?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

iastudent posted:

Has there been any true confirmation that load times are shorter with the PS3 digital version vs. the disc version?

I've noticed that load times are really unpredictable on PS3 full stop; not everyone has the same type of hard drive in the same shape, and some PS3's have less-than-stellar optical drives too. My main PS3 has the pop-in issue with GTA 5 digital and runs the disc version fine, while my old fat PS3 is the opposite and performs horribly with the disc version (missing sound and poo poo like that).

I'm reasonably sure my main PS3 would perform identically while my fat would probably have the several minute load times thing happening.

univbee fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 21, 2014

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Load times vary a lot from one stage to the next too.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Emalde posted:

Average load time for me on PS3disc with 2 people is between 2 and 3 minutes per mission when online, so I could believe it.

No longer than 45 seconds for my friend and I. We're on mission 41.

Both of us have old fat disc based PS3s with no mods or upgrades both using WIRED connections. We are both on the same provider and city as well.

It honestly is probably a syncing/networking thing. It only seems to use the drive for about 5 seconds per level load.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 21, 2014

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Top Gym Pumper posted:

Load times vary a lot from one stage to the next too.

Are you ps3 or 360, fucker?

e: just checked spreadsheet, boo. how dare so many of you choose the inferior version.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.
Is there any way to get out of the jaws of a red ant when playing an Air Raider and the only actual weapon you've got is a limpet gun? Been trying to farm weapons and those fuckers keep ruining missions right near the end.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
How to you escape ant jaws at all? Does button mashing help? I tried methodically pressing every button last night but I would just get shaken for like 30+ seconds straight until my character died.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You need to shoot the ant when it pauses from thrashing you for a bit.

Basically mash. Depending on your equipped weapons it might not be possible.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Holding/mashing the trigger will shoot while you're in the ants jaws. Doesn't seem you can aim though so depending on the weapon you might not be able to hit it. Otherwise they'll release you after a certain amount of time.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Knightmare posted:

Holding/mashing the trigger will shoot while you're in the ants jaws. Doesn't seem you can aim though so depending on the weapon you might not be able to hit it. Otherwise they'll release you after a certain amount of time.

If getting picked up doesn't instantly kill you you gotta turn it up a notch

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

I Greyhound posted:

If you have not tried the Long Range Hand Grenade that the Ranger class gets, you owe it to yourself to give a a whirl. The animation is hilarious, and the feeling of dropping that bad boy in the middle of a bunch of giant insects a 1/2 mile away is incredible.

The firecracker is a amazing weapon to clear out missions that have the hive holes but dear god be careful with the thing! I died more times by not throwing the firecracker far enough and blowing myself up.

I love using the Air Tortoise 2 while doing the Hector Missions. Fire off 5 missiles and move on to the next one knowing the first is a walking dead man. And of course aim up with the thing!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Luceid posted:

Whenever you or someone else summons a Titan or Proteus or other supergiant vehicle, you must use the chat macro option that is just yelling the name of it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
You can yell stuff while in game?

uh ohhh this is going to be awesome

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I believe you can also do salutes and other pre-canned animations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The best is the fencer's "be really happy" animation where he jumps around like an idiot.

general chaos
May 20, 2001

rawdog pozfail posted:

Are you ps3 or 360, fucker?

e: just checked spreadsheet, boo. how dare so many of you choose the inferior version.

Spreadsheet isn't really used that much - everyone on the 360 uses the metatag HOWCANYOUMISS.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I played the first 8 missions or so last night solo on fencer and wing diver. ps3 disk version. Load times were usually around 30 seconds. The framerate felt pretty similar to 2017 portable.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
I had the chance to play two missions last night. three silent strangers joined me and we tore the place up. I like changing my man's colors.

I'm on ps3 and agree it is by no means smooth. Load times for me were kinda long too at least a minute. but it is playable. I'll be back at it tonight.

I might end up buying the 360 version too since that's what two of my friends have.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 22, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Bussamove posted:

The horrible translation and hammy voice acting makes things so much better, and to hell with anyone that says otherwise.

Amen, there's just something about b-league V/O going all in on material like this. It's what's nice in life.

What are you fighting for?
We'll talk about this later!

Thank god they just looked at 2017 and said "How about just more of all this and we fix a few things that obviously suck"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SamuraiPaul posted:

I had the chance to play two missions last night. three silent strangers joined me and we tore the place up. I like changing my man's colors.

I'm on ps3 and agree it is by no means smooth. Load times for me were kinda long too at least a minute. but it is playable. I'll be back at it tonight.

I might end up buying the 360 version too since that's what two of my friends have.
I've been using all Saints colors too, but I chose the reverse for that one.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I didn't even think to be repping the Row, to my shame.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

"Giant insects?! I'm just here to install this water heater!"

I'm seriously thinking of buying the 360 version, since the PS3 version has long load times and is generally unoptimized. This is split screen by the way, it seems the load times get worse the longer we played until the end of the night it was about 2 to 3 minutes to load a level.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Philthy posted:

You can yell stuff while in game?

uh ohhh this is going to be awesome

There are a bunch of different shouts, gargling noises, screams, and more. There are like eight different variations of EDF!! shouts alone. I like picking a random one when doing something awesome like jumping my mech into a pile of ants or crashing an empty-ammo helicopter into a giant robot.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've been using all Saints colors too, but I chose the reverse for that one.

I'm leaning toward making him all blue and pretending to be the Tick.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

One of the nice things about all the slowdown is that it gives you plenty of time to E-D-F !! E-D-F !! before that dropship you just wrecked hits the ground and gloriously explodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Turning off Screen Shake and Camera Effects help with the framerate on both platforms.