Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

GreyPowerVan posted:

Do a Nuzlocke in my opinion. I started a wonderlocke but then realized I would be playing my 3DS away from Wifi sometimes, which kind of killed it for me.

If you have a second game that you play as your main game, then I say go for the Wonderlocke. I'm having quite a blast on mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Classtoise posted:

So I have the hardest decision to make.

I want to restart my X game and try a Nuzlocke run. Trouble is, I dunno if I want to do a Wonderlocke run and let Wonder Trade decide my fate, or Nuzlocke and see how far me and Froakie go.

:ohdear: Why is Pokemon so hard you guys

Get a second 3DS and do both at the same time.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
A pretty interesting interview with Masuda from about a week ago:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/02/14/afterwords-unabridged-pokemon-x-and-y.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

quote:

Is there any advantage to giving a tip to the camera man, or the story teller? I always offered a good tip, because I didn’t want them to think I was a jerk.

Thanks for the tips! (laughs)

I think we'll be announcing what we wanted to do in regards to tips on the Pokémon Global Link or elsewhere soon.

That part is interesting. The "what we wanted to do" would imply that they ended up not including whatever feature they had planned, but if that's the case, why make an announcement over Global Link?
The rest of the interview is pretty good, I like that we got relatively direct answers to such a variety of questions.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
"Why can't the Main Character take off the hat?" "Because how else would you know who the main character is? You might get confused by all the other people who you can control and who the camera always focuses on. :downs:"

:bahgawd:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

quote:

Why can't you choose to wear no hat?

It's a way to symbolize the player's character. You can tell at a glance who it is because of the hat.

:fuckoff:

Make everybody else wear hats instead.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Fennekin supremacy.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Having fun playing in the Beta Tournament that's running right now. Obviously I'm not winning many battles, because I'm just using 5 members of my ingame team plus one of my Pachirisu. Still, I've won a couple. The last one I won was against someone with four Ditto (at least 3 of which were not Impostor), a Zoroark and a Noibat though. So I don't really have anything to boast about.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Looks like I have 6 weeks to get a team that doesn't suck :v:

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

mfcrocker posted:

Looks like I have 6 weeks to get a team that doesn't suck :v:

I wish I could enter a local tournament, but I live in Austria. :smith:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

horriblePencilist posted:

I wish I could enter a local tournament, but I live in Austria. :smith:

I'm just pleased Bristol is one of the last stops, leaves me enough time to beat the E4 and poopsock to victory

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

mfcrocker posted:

I'm just pleased Bristol is one of the last stops, leaves me enough time to beat the E4 and poopsock to victory

If you wanna give my main man Ambipom a shot, I ought to have a Jolly one with good IVs, Pursuit and Fakeout lying around.

Edit: Some guy just initiated a trade with me, offered me nothing but a shiny lvl 100 Azlef in a master ball and refused everything. I don't understand...

horriblePencilist fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 21, 2014

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

He was hoping you had another shiny legendary

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH

Hammerite posted:

Having fun playing in the Beta Tournament that's running right now. Obviously I'm not winning many battles, because I'm just using 5 members of my ingame team plus one of my Pachirisu. Still, I've won a couple. The last one I won was against someone with four Ditto (at least 3 of which were not Impostor), a Zoroark and a Noibat though. So I don't really have anything to boast about.

My team still isn't ready, but from what I understand if you don't do your 20 battles for a day they can roll over to the next one, so technically I have until Sunday. I'm going to do my best to wrap things up tonight, though.

Ignite Memories posted:

He was hoping you had another shiny legendary

I've learned that it's a good idea to have a box of Pokemon that are nicknamed phrases you can just show to people to tell them things. Stuff like 'No thanks' or 'don't have it' when they ask for a Meloetta or whatever. A really important one is 'Goodbye' so they know you're ending the trade and not just thinking really hard about if you have a Shiny Genesect to trade them or not.

Complexcalibur fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 21, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Interviewer failed to ask the hard hitting questions! Namely, what the gently caress were you thinking when you made Talonflame and Mega Kangaskhan :argh:

That article is pretty cool though.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Butterfree was a mainstay on my Gen 3 re-make games if only because, due to the status moves, he's great at capturing stuff. In the more modern games, I'd use status+Quiver Dance+two attacks. He still doesn't pack a lot of punch but with enough potions he holds his own, and near 100% accurate sleep is plenty good enough for me.

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy
Beedrill chat:

I used a Beedrill in my X/Y playthrough, and he was great, esp. for the first half of the game. Focus Energy + Fury Attack was great at the start because that got him lots of crits. He surprisingly never felt like a liability.

I even used one on Wi-Fi for a bit, and with a Choice Scarf and U-turn he was fast enough to be kinda useful. He killed a LOT of Xerneas with Poison Jab..!

...i wish he was better too though

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Last night I had a dream that in Pokemon Z Aegislash gets a move that causes him to faint but bipedal bodytype allies can "equip" him for a 1.5x boost to attack and it replaces their fourth move with King's Shield (both until end of battle of course). Welp thanks for listening

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
The whole Twitch Pokemon stream has convinced me to try out Pokemon again, so I'm trying out HeartGold for the first time. Here's the team I'm eventually planning on using, which seems to cover most of the types:

Feraligatr: Water
Ampharos: Electric
Mamoswine: Ground/Ice
Gengar: Ghost/Poison
Crobat: Flying/Poison
Heracross: Fighting/Bug

Does this work as a team, and are there any ways I can improve it? I could use a Dark type in place of the Gengar (since both Ghost and Dark are effective against Psychic and Ghost types), but it seems like the only decent Dark type available before the Elite 4 is Umbreon, and that has mixed reactions from what I've read. I could also replace the Mamoswine with a pure Ground or Rock type, and put Ice Beam on the Gengar or Feraligatr to deal with Dragon types.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Yeah, this is just for playing through the game. Wasn't going to try and put this in many competitive battles. I suppose I don't need to min-max things too much, then, am I correct?

Wyvernil fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 21, 2014

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

What's this team for? If it's for ingame, then there's not really any need to do any planning unless (like me) you're the kind of person who gets a kick out of writing an itinerary for how you're going to play a video game for children.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Wyvernil posted:

The whole Twitch Pokemon stream has convinced me to try out Pokemon again, so I'm trying out HeartGold for the first time. Here's the team I'm eventually planning on using, which seems to cover most of the types:

Feraligatr: Water
Ampharos: Electric
Mamoswine: Ground/Ice
Gengar: Ghost/Poison
Crobat: Flying/Poison
Heracross: Fighting/Bug

Does this work as a team, and are there any ways I can improve it? I could use a Dark type in place of the Gengar (since both Ghost and Dark are effective against Psychic and Ghost types), but it seems like the only decent Dark type available before the Elite 4 is Umbreon, and that has mixed reactions from what I've read. I could also replace the Mamoswine with a pure Ground or Rock type, and put Ice Beam on the Gengar or Feraligatr to deal with Dragon types.

Any suggestions?

Remember you have access to the Safari Zone in HeartGold which means Murkrow is available.

AUM (Always use Murkrow)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Ingame, just use whatever you think is cool/fun. If something's underwhelming you, feel free to swap it out. Granted, swapping Pokemon takes more grinding in Gen 4 than it does in later games, but Heart Gold is kind of a grindy game anyway.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

Zore posted:

AUM (Always use Murkrow)

I didn't think too much about that bird until I started using him as a swagger/tailwind platform in doubles. Swagbird+yolochomp best. Little guy is hilariously bulky and nets amazing surprise kills with fowl play. Pretty split on using taunt or roost on him though.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

There's is almost virtually no bad team* for playing through the Singleplayer game.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Harlock posted:

There's is almost virtually no bad team* for playing through the Singleplayer game.

Team of all magikarp... Looking at you fisherman from Red and Blue! :colbert:

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Zore posted:

Remember you have access to the Safari Zone in HeartGold which means Murkrow is available.

AUM (Always use Murkrow)

Was looking over things again, and a Honchkrow does seem like a pretty strong alternative to the Crobat.

EDIT: I guess they can be evolved before the Elite 4, but they don't appear in the pokedex. I guess I'll have to wait and try it to see if it works first.

Wyvernil fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 21, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Wyvernil posted:

Was looking over things again, and a Honchkrow does seem like a pretty strong alternative to the Crobat.

EDIT: I guess they can be evolved before the Elite 4, but they don't appear in the pokedex. I guess I'll have to wait and try it to see if it works first.
Nope. Mamoswine is similarly restricted.

EDIT: To clarify, there's no hard restriction on evolutions, but you won't get the means to evolve Piloswine or Murkrow until after the Elite 4 unless you hack/trade.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 21, 2014

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

Nope. Mamoswine is similarly restricted.

No evolutions in HG/SS are restricted, you can evolve Piloswine into Mamoswine the same way as always. The hard part about evolving Murkrow is trying to find a Dusk Stone before you beat the Elite 4. The only Pokemon games that restricted evolutions were FR/LG.

^^But you do have the means to evolve Piloswine into Mamoswine before the E4. Just evolve into Piloswine, go to the move relearner, re-teach Ancient Power, and level up once. Instant Mamoswine.

Plasbad fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 21, 2014

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

You could always trade with someone? Or can you not trade with D/P/P until you beat the E4

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Mamoswine's even in the Johto Dex as of HGSS

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Plasbad posted:

No evolutions in HG/SS are restricted, you can evolve Piloswine into Mamoswine the same way as always. The hard part about evolving Murkrow is trying to find a Dusk Stone before you beat the Elite 4. The only Pokemon games that restricted evolutions were FR/LG.

^^But you do have the means to evolve Piloswine into Mamoswine before the E4. Just evolve into Piloswine, go to the move relearner, re-teach Ancient Power, and level up once. Instant Mamoswine.
Everything I know is a lie.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I just bred my first 6IV pokemon. It's a Lonely Woobat with Klutz.

:negative:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

horriblePencilist posted:

I just bred my first 6IV pokemon. It's a Lonely Woobat with Klutz.

:negative:

If it's male that poo poo doesn't matter one bit.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
So we're having a small Pokemon X/Y tournament at my college next week and I'm trying to figure out a team to put together for it. I'm pretty positive it's Singles 6v6 format, and a "No legendaries, MegaBlaziken, MegaKangaskhan, or MegaGengar" ruling. I haven't played against them in about a year since I was in the last B2/W2 tournament we did and I'd love to build a soul-crushing team to put them in their place. :getin:

I want to use Ferrothorn and Sableye so far, but who else would be a top-tier, soul crushing option? I'm prepared to go full tryhard here.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

Plasbad posted:

So we're having a small Pokemon X/Y tournament at my college next week and I'm trying to figure out a team to put together for it. I'm pretty positive it's Singles 6v6 format, and a "No legendaries, MegaBlaziken, MegaKangaskhan, or MegaGengar" ruling. I haven't played against them in about a year since I was in the last B2/W2 tournament we did and I'd love to build a soul-crushing team to put them in their place. :getin:

I want to use Ferrothorn and Sableye so far, but who else would be a top-tier, soul crushing option? I'm prepared to go full tryhard here.

In early X and Y I used a hazard-stacking Ferrothorn with a Zygarde that knew Earthquake / Dragon Tail / Substitute / Coil. It was fast enough block most status with Sub and could shuffle around the other team with Dragon Tail so they got hosed by entry hazards. If you know when to start setting up it's one of the most frustrating pokemon you can deal with.

Of course, you'll have to catch that Zygarde like a million times to get the right nature and IV's if you want to use it.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
Nasty plot, aura sphere, dark pulse, and the special fighting priority move mega lucario

Watch the world burn.

And then add a rotom-h, Lum berry technician breloom and something to kill fairies.

In fact if you remove fairies from their team, a +2 Luc will sweep them all.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Classtoise posted:

So I have the hardest decision to make.

I want to restart my X game and try a Nuzlocke run. Trouble is, I dunno if I want to do a Wonderlocke run and let Wonder Trade decide my fate, or Nuzlocke and see how far me and Froakie go.

:ohdear: Why is Pokemon so hard you guys

I got Y and did both. I play it like a Nuzlocke in that I catch the first thing I meet in each area (barring duplicates, which is hardly an issue this gen), then if it dies, I wonder trade it away. I'll continue on like that, wonder-trading away the corpses, then I guess I'll tally up how many Pokemon still have my OT at the end.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Spiffster posted:

Team of all magikarp... Looking at you fisherman from Red and Blue! :colbert:

He's in every game, iirc!

Also every team of magikarps will one day become a team of gyaradoses. :gbsmith:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Plasbad posted:

Mega Lucario is stupidly good if he isn't banned.

Scizor, Gyarados, Garchomp can also confuse people as to who your Mega is, and they're all really good pokemon anyways.

Scolipede with Speed Boost can be really nasty for set up, especially if you baton pass to Lucario. Volcarona is fun. Aegislash (mixed) is always annoying as poo poo to fight as is Galewings Talonflame.

If Mega Lucario is banned, Charizard or Venasaur are also amazing Megas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Inudeku posted:

Nasty plot, aura sphere, dark pulse, and the special fighting priority move mega lucario

Watch the world burn.

And then add a rotom-h, Lum berry technician breloom and something to kill fairies.

In fact if you remove fairies from their team, a +2 Luc will sweep them all.

That set is really good against someone that's unprepared but Mixed Naive Lucario did a lot more work for me at 1700 elo pre-ban.

Close Combat, Vacuum Wave, Dark Pulse, Flash Cannon. Boosting moves just get scarfers in to revenge you anyway. Unboosted hits won't ohko or 2hko a scarfchomp, for example. Naive over Hasty is so you aren't ohko'd by standard Gliscor's EQ. Flash Cannon wrecks fairy switch-in's and Gliscor and hits as hard as dark pulse does on targets that take 1/2 from flash cannon and neutral from dark pulse.

It's all dependent on team makeup though, if you have a solid physical cleaner don't bother with mixed lucario since he does suffer from getting hit harder by Scald to run a mixed set.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 21, 2014

• Locked thread