Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

high six posted:

So, I want to try making cloaks/robes for my new Guardians of the Covenant out of green stuff.

Where do you guys get green stuff for modeling that isn't from GW and doesn't cost my left kidney?

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Stuff-Yellow-Epoxy-Putty/dp/B002MB61RQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1393001942&sr=8-4&keywords=green+stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

high six posted:

So, I want to try making cloaks/robes for my new Guardians of the Covenant out of green stuff.

Where do you guys get green stuff for modeling that isn't from GW and doesn't cost my left kidney?

I am very interested in the answer to this question. I spent the last week searching every craft store and hobby store in my area for the stuff and ended up having to fork over to the one hobby store that even carried green stuff.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

xtothez posted:

Crushing claws are still pretty terrible. Fexes can get the +1 strength by taking Adrenal Glands, which are cheaper and give you Fleet too. Armourbane isn't really necessary when you're putting out that many S9/S10 attacks.

Crushing claws should have been AP1 or +2S for the points they cost.

I think you're underselling armor bane. It's not necessary on the fexes, but it changes them from being likely to get pens to being almost guaranteed to get pens, and it's a huge boost to the weaker models that can get them. +2S would be a bigger waste; then your fexes would pay for a point of S they don't even get. AP1 would be a nice buff, but it would be a minor one, and it would be uncharacteristic of Nids.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

PantsOptional posted:

I am very interested in the answer to this question. I spent the last week searching every craft store and hobby store in my area for the stuff and ended up having to fork over to the one hobby store that even carried green stuff.

Hardware and plumbing supply stores carry cheaper equivalents to greenstuff, it's just not called that there - Kneadatite is the proper name, miliput is a cheaper alternative recommended to me (I need something cheap for my basius pads soon)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SRM posted:

A case can be made for smaller, more elite armies like Marines, but I know I'd never buy another box of Cadians if I could just get a horde of them that build faster and cost less.

I'd probably buy a regular box if I wanted to make veterans at least. But if I was going for a simple infantry wave army and was given that option that also gave me at least one special weapon I'd probably not look back on normal boxes.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I've been very slowly building and painting an Ultramarine army over the past few months and wondering if Tigurius is as potent as people said he was when the codex first came out. I am running a fast moving force that looks like this:

Chapter Master on a bike
2 squads of Bikers
CC Terminators that DS off a beacon
StormTalon
3 Dev Centurions
Tigurius?

The Centurions are slow, but that idea was to put Tigurius in with them, keep Forewarning up on them, and walk up the field. Tigurius brings almost any power you want, plus I can somewhat control when my reserves come on. It's a slow build process I am doing since I pretty much want everything painted before I buy something new. I'll probably add more bikes, a Thunderfire Cannon, and maybe another Stormtalon eventually; curious though how this looks since I rarely play Marines or ever see them.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Tigurius is really good and if I was going to run Centurions he'd be an auto-include. You'll almost certainly want to cram more Centurions in there to make the most use out of his buffs.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

NTRabbit posted:

Hardware and plumbing supply stores carry cheaper equivalents to greenstuff, it's just not called that there - Kneadatite is the proper name, miliput is a cheaper alternative recommended to me (I need something cheap for my basius pads soon)

Yeah, I checked the big chain hardware stores for kneadatite but stupidly I didn't check the local Ace hardware. I need to stop there anyway to see if they have a 1 mm pin vise bit anyway so I guess I can kill two birds with one stone.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

SRM posted:

That's a LOT of plastic. I think it would also cannibalize sales pretty badly. The limited scope of the starter set lets it work as sort of a loss leader; how many folks wouldn't buy cheap snap fit versions of guardsmen, gaunts, Ork boyz, or similar hordes of troops, at least compared to typical multipart boxes? I think it'd be neat, but I don't think it's the best idea for GW financially. A case can be made for smaller, more elite armies like Marines, but I know I'd never buy another box of Cadians if I could just get a horde of them that build faster and cost less.

They already sell cheaper snap fit versions of all the models you mention, and those don't seem to cannibalize sales. And like I said, affordable and complete starter sets would drive sales of the other kits. Think of how many folks would take them as the perfect excuse to start a new army.

But they don't even necessarily have to make starters for every last army, maybe just the most popular four to six. Do Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Imperial Guard, Orks, Space Marines, and Tyranids, so you get a nice variety and a good representation of how diverse the range is.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Khorne Flakes posted:

I've been very slowly building and painting an Ultramarine army over the past few months and wondering if Tigurius is as potent as people said he was when the codex first came out. I am running a fast moving force that looks like this:

Chapter Master on a bike
2 squads of Bikers
CC Terminators that DS off a beacon
StormTalon
3 Dev Centurions
Tigurius?

The Centurions are slow, but that idea was to put Tigurius in with them, keep Forewarning up on them, and walk up the field. Tigurius brings almost any power you want, plus I can somewhat control when my reserves come on. It's a slow build process I am doing since I pretty much want everything painted before I buy something new. I'll probably add more bikes, a Thunderfire Cannon, and maybe another Stormtalon eventually; curious though how this looks since I rarely play Marines or ever see them.

If I was able to go back, knowing what I know now, and buy specifically for what I will be doing with my army instead of buying craigslist/ebay "I'm getting out of the hobby, buy all my stuff" units, that's pretty much exactly what I'd be buying for a list these days.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PeterWeller posted:

They already sell cheaper snap fit versions of all the models you mention, and those don't seem to cannibalize sales. And like I said, affordable and complete starter sets would drive sales of the other kits. Think of how many folks would take them as the perfect excuse to start a new army.

But they don't even necessarily have to make starters for every last army, maybe just the most popular four to six. Do Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Imperial Guard, Orks, Space Marines, and Tyranids, so you get a nice variety and a good representation of how diverse the range is.

They're also in little 3-4 man boxes, not something to the level of Dark Vengeance. I think the little booster boxes like those are fine, but whole army starter sets would start to eat into current sales I imagine. I would figure a starter army-sized box would also have more than the 3 poses that you get in those little booster packs.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

BULBASAUR posted:

30k question. I'm thinking of starting a Mechancus detachment to use those sweet Castellax as troops. How do you guys think they should be run?

I'm leaning towards melee oriented, since they end up costing about 120 to make them shooty. For 20 points less they can have 2 flamers, a multi melta, and assault grenades on a T7 4 wound monstrous creature. Are those flamers even worth the extra 10 points?

Wait for HH3 Extermination to decide. That's all I can say about that.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Ghost Hand posted:

You glorious tease. Now I'm going to have to wait a bit more to order my copies of the books and more robot goodness.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 21, 2014

Badgersmasher
Dec 31, 2013

SRM posted:

They're also in little 3-4 man boxes, not something to the level of Dark Vengeance. I think the little booster boxes like those are fine, but whole army starter sets would start to eat into current sales I imagine. I would figure a starter army-sized box would also have more than the 3 poses that you get in those little booster packs.

hehe You know; one of these days I'm going to walk into a GW and buy every single booster box of guardians that they have just to see what they say. I love the snap fit guardians so easy to put together.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
So, do Devourers really no longer cause a Ld check at -1/-2?

Also, non-default death spitters on warriors is BS. That has to be a mistake.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
So you're saying hold off on the full Adeptus mechanicus force?

I was thinking of 5 Castellax with bolt cannons with grenades and one flamer each. Not too pricey in points, but will hit very hard, and may well mince 10 MEQs a turn with shooting.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

SRM posted:

I just think the starter sets would drive more new sales than eat old sales, but what do I know? It really doesn't matter anyway because GW is dedicated to the same sales model they have been using since the release of 4E Fantasy in the early 90's.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Someone on my ham facebook group posted this:

Looks like a 3rd option for the head. The more I look the more that seems to be a large oval base. These guys probably won't be mega tall.

Yeah, there's three head options- the knight helm we've seen, the skull, and another helm with a T-shaped visor. You can also leave the faces off for the techno look.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That transfer sheet is A4 after all, £12 is a fair price. Also, the knights are 8" tall and look loving awesome.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

8" tall was my first guess, the comparison pictures weren't very clear. It looks like you can assemble this much of the body (minus the head), paint it boltgun/gunmetal (Vallejo Model Air Gun Metal to the rescue), paint all of these pieces separately as shown, then assemble. That should help make such a daunting paint job a bit easier to tackle.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Aww, I was kinda hoping it would have a detailed interior like the FW titans.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

Phyresis posted:

8" tall was my first guess, the comparison pictures weren't very clear. It looks like you can assemble this much of the body (minus the head), paint it boltgun/gunmetal (Vallejo Model Air Gun Metal to the rescue), paint all of these pieces separately as shown, then assemble. That should help make such a daunting paint job a bit easier to tackle.

I wasn't entirely convinced that I wanted one of these guys until I saw this photo. Dat grey plastic. :allears:

Germ
May 7, 2013

high six posted:

Kneadatite is the trade name for green stuff. It's made by Polymeric Systems, and repackaged by lots of folks. Here are links to lots of places to buy it. If you're in the US, the Warstore sells a big tube for $13:

http://www.polymericsystems.com/epoxies-adhesives/epoxy-putty-tapes/where-to-get-kneadatite-blue-yellow.htm

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Thundercloud posted:

So you're saying hold off on the full Adeptus mechanicus force?

I was thinking of 5 Castellax with bolt cannons with grenades and one flamer each. Not too pricey in points, but will hit very hard, and may well mince 10 MEQs a turn with shooting.

It sounds like he was implying there were going to be melee units for AdMech next book. castellaxes are really solid and going just 1 flamer has worked the best for me. The only problem I've found is ranged AT is a little limited at the moment so I use darkfires on mine to help, but its not a perfect solution but putting on a multi melta feels a bit wastefull. Maybe book 3 has some new things that would help, but only time will tell.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, exactly. The current battleforces aren't starter sets; they're often just a way to offer some unpopular kits in a package with popular kits for a small discount. GW really does need to reconsider their entry level products beyond the actual starter sets, and they need to offer them through more retail channels.

They're starting to do this, both of these boxsets are starter armies at a discount, although still not cheap.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
How is this for a not-super competative 1000 point Infantry only City Fight list?
It's a 4 player FFA so I plan on turtling and throw out spore mines as shields.

998 Points posted:

HQ
Deathleaper – 130 130

Warrior Prime – 125 190
Maw-Claws – 10
Poison – 10
Flesh Hooks – 5
Miasma Spray – 25
Adrenal Glands – 15

Troops
Warrior Brood x4 – 120 145
Death Spitter x3 – 15
Barbed Strangler – 10

Warrior Brood x3 – 90 138
Rending Claws x3 – 15
Poison x2 – 6
Flesh Hooks – 12
Adrenal Glands – 15

HS
Biovore x1 – 40 40

Biovore x1 – 40 40

FA
Spore Mine Cluster x3 – 15 15

Elite
Venomthrope x2 – 90 90

Zoanthrope x2 – 100 100

Hive Guard x2 – 110 110

I didn't want to go super competative since this is my first time playing these guys.
I also wanted to play with some stuff that I never have used before.
Hopefully there will be enough terrain to give most of my guys 2+ saves for the entire game.

My alternate list is two melee warrior primes and 120 gaunts with some venomthropes for cover. But... Na.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

MasterSlowPoke posted:

They're starting to do this, both of these boxsets are starter armies at a discount, although still not cheap.

Yeah, I'm aware of those, and they're close to what I'm talking about. But they're more expensive that what I imagine, and they don't provide you the things you need to actually start playing. They're a step in the right direction, but on the other hand, they dropped the Dark Eldar set that originally came out alongside the Marine one.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, I'm aware of those, and they're close to what I'm talking about. But they're more expensive that what I imagine, and they don't provide you the things you need to actually start playing. They're a step in the right direction, but on the other hand, they dropped the Dark Eldar set that originally came out alongside the Marine one.

The things you need to start playing - you mean rulebook, templates, and dice, right?

I know I personally would want to see, as I said earlier, $75 two-player starter boxes, and $45 one-player starters, with about 500pts of forces for each army, all made with snap-fit models, as well as basic rulebooks/rulecards telling you how to use the guys you have. If you want to play the more complicated parts of the game, you need to be comfortable assembling more complicated models, and get the advanced rulebook - but there is no way in hell GW can continue to get new players involved if they don't make the basic game (plastic soldiers with huge shoulderpads and chainswords fighting it out on the battlefield) more accessible financially, logistically, and conceptually.

Also I wish they would get rid of like 75% of all the fluff from the rulebooks, drat. They're like physics textbooks if half the textbook were a biography of Isaac Newton with emphasis on his crazy religious fanaticism.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Apollodorus posted:

Also I wish they would get rid of like 75% of all the fluff from the rulebooks, drat. They're like physics textbooks if half the textbook were a biography of Isaac Newton with emphasis on his crazy religious fanaticism.

Why not just get one of the little paperback rulebooks from Dark Vengeance? They go for a couple of bucks on ebay.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Vondizimo posted:

Bit of a long shot, but does anyone have any of the Forge World aircraft hunter killer missiles?

I'm looking to make old style boxy hunter killer launchers for my Deimos rhinos and I'm wondering if they're long enough to look right.

I think I have some of those old rhino missile boxes kicking around in my bits box. Do you want them?

Ghost Hand posted:

Oh baby oh baby, march can't come soon enough. HH3 with extra robot stuff AND my favorite legion inside of it :allears:

Hencoe posted:

It sounds like he was implying there were going to be melee units for AdMech next book. castellaxes are really solid and going just 1 flamer has worked the best for me. The only problem I've found is ranged AT is a little limited at the moment so I use darkfires on mine to help, but its not a perfect solution but putting on a multi melta feels a bit wastefull. Maybe book 3 has some new things that would help, but only time will tell.

The multi melta is free, which is why I am thinking about it. I'd consider a darkfire cannon, since you can blind the unit you are about to charge into, but 3 dudes with darkfires runs 60 points, which could get you a laser destroyer (1 LD = 4 darkfire shots, roughly)

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I can imagine how many players showed up to the game with an "ARMY BOX" to play a game only to be beaten about the head by smug nerds who said they don't have a legal army. :(

Anyway, Cigarnifex:

:dukedog:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

VogeGandire posted:

Why not just get one of the little paperback rulebooks from Dark Vengeance? They go for a couple of bucks on ebay.

Yeah, much better plan. That's what I did when I thought I was getting back into Fantasy, bought an Island of Blood rulebook. Too bad I didn't have any time or motivation.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Apollodorus posted:

I friggin love the fluff in all the rulebooks. When I was a young'un and picked up the 3rd ed rulebook at a flea market, it wasn't the rules that captured my imagination, but the artwork and fluff blurbs that hooked me. The fluff and setting along with the models are why this game exists and the IP is so strong.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

I think I have some of those old rhino missile boxes kicking around in my bits box. Do you want them?

Ooh yes, quite possibly. Are you able to post to the UK? ;-*

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

SRM posted:

I friggin love the fluff in all the rulebooks. When I was a young'un and picked up the 3rd ed rulebook at a flea market, it wasn't the rules that captured my imagination, but the artwork and fluff blurbs that hooked me. The fluff and setting along with the models are why this game exists and the IP is so strong.

I still remember (and may have in my collection of RPG stuff) a 40K ad in Dragon magazine that was a pullout, it was a 4- or 6-page ad with a story and loads of full-color drawings. Is there a site anywhere that has the old ads online?

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
If 40k didn't have cool miniatures and fluff we wouldn't play it, you're lying if you say otherwise. The game is expensive and unbalanced - literally nobody would play 40k if it had bad lore. The lore and the miniatures are what makes 40k objectively great.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Apollodorus posted:

The things you need to start playing - you mean rulebook, templates, and dice, right?

I know I personally would want to see, as I said earlier, $75 two-player starter boxes, and $45 one-player starters, with about 500pts of forces for each army, all made with snap-fit models, as well as basic rulebooks/rulecards telling you how to use the guys you have. If you want to play the more complicated parts of the game, you need to be comfortable assembling more complicated models, and get the advanced rulebook - but there is no way in hell GW can continue to get new players involved if they don't make the basic game (plastic soldiers with huge shoulderpads and chainswords fighting it out on the battlefield) more accessible financially, logistically, and conceptually.

Yeah, those things and a quickstart guide that teaches you how to play the game, the stuff that comes in DV along with the models.

I think $75 and $45 are too low as price points. I just don't see how GW could provide you with enough material at those prices. I know comparisons are made to stuff like X-Wing, but 40K is a bigger game and requires more stuff. That cheap X-Wing starter comes with three models. That's fine for a game about dogfights, but doesn't work for 40K.

They can keep attracting new players with their current model, but they could attract more new players if they changed that model. Reports of GW's imminent death are bullshit. They are still raking in cash, just not as much last year as the year before.

And all that fluff is great. The main rulebook is not just a book of rules; it's a primer for the setting and the hobby, and should be chock full of fluff and pictures to inspire players. The mini rulebook should be available on its own as well.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Oh baby oh baby, march can't come soon enough. HH3 with extra robot stuff AND my favorite legion inside of it :allears:

The multi melta is free, which is why I am thinking about it. I'd consider a darkfire cannon, since you can blind the unit you are about to charge into, but 3 dudes with darkfires runs 60 points, which could get you a laser destroyer (1 LD = 4 darkfire shots, roughly)

I'm thinking pure admech, sorry. With AT covered why not just run the Maulers? With the double shots Rite 6 mauler shots to the face on top of getting charged would be brutal. If Ive missed something having a laser destroyer im going to slap myself.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 21, 2014

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
If CSM can use that new Dreadclaw it might persuade me to buy a few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

PeterWeller posted:

Yeah, those things and a quickstart guide that teaches you how to play the game, the stuff that comes in DV along with the models.

I think $75 and $45 are too low as price points. I just don't see how GW could provide you with enough material at those prices. I know comparisons are made to stuff like X-Wing, but 40K is a bigger game and requires more stuff. That cheap X-Wing starter comes with three models. That's fine for a game about dogfights, but doesn't work for 40K.

They can keep attracting new players with their current model, but they could attract more new players if they changed that model. Reports of GW's imminent death are bullshit. They are still raking in cash, just not as much last year as the year before.

They could hit those price points if they went with Kill Team sized sets. That way you'd be able to play a game with a dozen guys total, mess around and see the different options, and then graduate to the big league game after you get hooked.

And I agree that the impending doom stuff is bullshit. They just need to recognize that they're not the only game around any more, and update their business model to something made this decade.

• Locked thread