Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Friends, Romans, Latins.

We all know that the miserable and frankly, anarchistic Turkish empire is our greatest enemy, as far as size and power goes. But it may not be them who are the death-knell of the empire. Know that the regrettable fall of the west was only in part the fault of outside savages, for it was the decay at the heart of our beloved western half that led to the sad state of affairs we see today. Internal treachery cannot be allowed to grow here, lest the same fate befall us and our generals and soldiers become the hands around the throat of our state, greatest of them all!

So I say that the late, lamented Empress's reconstruction of the Theme system is not yet enough. No, we must extend it's power in a greater reformation, to cripple those upstarts who would knowingly and willingly be the end of the greatest bastion of reason on god's earth once and for all!

Doux Delenda Est!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012

I dare say that if our Emperors had no need for the men these Dux could bring together, then we would not have to suffer these fools as we have and our dear Empress would be alive today to raise her dear son herself!

It is to this end that I must agree with the New Byzantines on their ideals of construction. Although they come to the idea from the preposterous notion of separating us from our roots by building anew, it is only through the construction of new training fields, barracks, castles and, yes, cities that we can set restoring that most awe-inspiring weapon of both the republic and the unified empire.

The standing army; the Legions.

Once we have built armies anew, armies professional, that do not bend their knee to stubborn nobles, then we shall be able to conquer all those enemies who have shamed our empire and may slash at the privileges of the nobility without fear.

Vae Victis!

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

The fair and great Iouliana has fallen. Why must God test our fair Empire so much?

And shame to all you Senators who thoughts stray to matters of business and politics of all things when Rome has been wounded so! We should be mourning her passing, not living in the past like you stuffy fools are doing.

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...
Great update! If you're going to die, narrowly losing a duel to a dude named "Zenon the Wicked" is a pretty excellent way to go. Seriously the dude sounds like a villainous wizard from an '80s fantasy movie.

Senators. Byzantines, of all stripes and creeds: It is a dark day indeed, for our dear Empress Iouliana, greatest our nation has ever seen, is now dead. Slain by the wicked nobleman Zenon.

Nobleman? Is there anything noble about these cowards? These craven slugs, so enamoured of their wealth and power they'd tear the Empire asunder? Truly I say that in this dark hour we New Byzantines and our Old Roman brothers stand in glorious unity: The Douxes are the greatest threat to this empire. The traitors must be executed. The disloyal cast out and stripped of their titles, and their loyal replacement restricted in capacity so that they may never challenge the stability of the empire again. The loyalty of all persons of the empire must be to the empire, it's Senate and the Emperor, and no other.

I second the movement to mitigate, if not eliminate the power of the aristocracy, and to pursue the establishment of an Imperial standing army.

I would also like to add to further propositions:

First, the creation of a grand monument in honor of Iouliana the Great, mother of the New Byzantium and herald of a glorious new epoch, so that she may be remembered eternally and forever set an example for emperors and citizens of tomorrow and generations to come.

Second, I propose that the villain Zenon be publicly executed immediately upon his apprehension, and that this execution be a public spectacle so vicious and thorough as to forever strike fear into the hearts of any Doux who might dare strike down a rightful emperor. Personally, I'd like to see him strung up from the walls by his scrotum, left to the elements and the whims of carrion birds. Crucifiction is too good for him, and it invites ill-conceived comparisons to the Christ.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Respectfully requesting that we open a friendly inquiry into our current military practices after the period of national mourning is observed. Having members of our imperial dynasty, and of course the Empress herself, fall in what ought to be pre-determined victories definitely gives one pause and we should take these tragedies as incentive to analyze our current military standards and protocols.

A cursory review of the The Battle of Kocibey, for example, shows that though the command council chose to cleverly maneuver a small wing of troops to engage and pin the enemy in battle, fixing its formations so that a larger secondary force can arrive, analyze and counter-attack, the ground choosen for this ingenious manuever was poor. The larger force had to cross a river to complete the scheme, a slow movement that's known to leave its conductors absolutely vulnerable to enemy attack while removing the crucial element of surprise. It is likely some hot, young strategos disregarded this ancient and time-tested knowledge in favor of some modern innovation, perhaps a current-assisted pontoon bridge or the like, thus leading to our unfortune defeat. In any case we should review and record instances like these, including the events that lead to our empress's death, for the benefit of the next generation's generalship (and our next gen emperors of course).

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Senators, Plebians, Patricians.

I must third this motion for the revival of the Legions, but I say that to do so now is an ill-concieved notion. Standing armies require great currency and great manpower, both of these we may not have. Before we can establish and maintain a unified standing force, we must first reform the Themata even further, to bring the power of the errant Doux to an end and to revitalize our forces and provide a grounding for a national army.

As for the fate of the traitor, I say he be killed as any other traitor, as punishment for his hubris, let him die in an unremarkable and commonplace fashion!

Doux Delenda Est!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Eparch Zenon has slain our beloved Empress, and let that haunt him to his dying days. But he was simply a mayor who was in the right place at the right time. Let us not forget who is truly responsible for Empress Iouliana's death: Doux Andronikos II, the man who started this accursed rebellion. Let the shadow of the Empire's judgement fall on his House before all others!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Our fair and hot Empress, may she rest in peace. Amen. May Emperor Alexios be as great, or even greater than his namesake. Amen.

But as we mourn, and with no hint of disrespect to the legacy she left us with, I must be critical of some of her decisions. For while she was lamenting the Folly of the Douxes, she was at the same time setting up new ones, in the reconquered and newly conquered lands. How were we to avoid such revolts when the empress herself fed into the nobility's ambitions? Thus I reiterate my suggestion that new conquests be put under church administration, that the petty patriarchs set up by that model may only put their lots with the Emperor or a rebel, and not harbour ambition and plot themselves the overthrow of our liege. Emperor Alexios' safety calls for it!

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

I say if they murder our Empress and Empress-to-be we take them, kill the ones with families and geld the ones without until these loving idiots start getting the idea that if you gently caress with the Purple you go black, purple then dead.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

The death of the Empress is tragic, and the nobility must be curbed. But, how will this be possible while this dynasty continues to put new territories under the control of local nobles? I use this term loosely with the Pechenegs, mere invaders of a land once Orthodox and pure. This policy will only encourage rebellion, as we have already seen with the merchants and "queen." Will we do the same with the Turks? Allow them to keep what they stole in Anatolia with a false conversion? No, new lands must be given to the Church or successful Greek generals and administrators, men of low rank whose loyalty is without question.

Our empire must be unified, spiritually and linguistically. To borrow a page from the Old Romans, look to Gaul. When Caesar conquered it, no man spoke Latin, or worshipped Roman gods. Our predecessors transformed it, paving the way for the Christian faith. We must do the same. What do Pechenegs and Cumans have to be proud of? Why should we preserve them in our borders? It would be a gift to remake them, to see their sons speak Greek alone, to allow them to participate in millennia of glory. Their faith, so suspect while local practices remain, would also be assuredly Orthodox.

Lord Cyrahzax fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 21, 2014

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Rincewind posted:

I am loving the meta-commentary on how this thread seems to be going. :allears:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Frontspac posted:

Second, I propose that the villain Zenon be publicly executed immediately upon his apprehension, and that this execution be a public spectacle so vicious and thorough as to forever strike fear into the hearts of any Doux who might dare strike down a rightful emperor. Personally, I'd like to see him strung up from the walls by his scrotum, left to the elements and the whims of carrion birds. Crucifiction is too good for him, and it invites ill-conceived comparisons to the Christ.

(Definitely a great end, I agree; it even sets up a story arc for the new emperor, seeking revenge!)

I suppose you raise a good point - while the Romans used to crucify traitors and thieves, doing so to this Zenon in these days of Christ might make a martyr of him. I'll agree with what you have to say, but a) all the rebel lords must die, and b) the entire house of the Doux leading this rebellion must be razed to the ground. Let not one drop of his tainted bloodline continue to exist on this Earth, that they might serve as a warning to anyone else who dare raise steel to our imperial family. I've already paid some minstrels to compose a ballad that will carry this warning and reminder most nicely to future troublesome vassals.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 21, 2014

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I kind of want you to leave the Three Bulgarias alone so that in 900 years, posters on the NegaParadox message boards can argue about how their Balkan state is the true inheritor of Bulgarian glory.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I made some stuff. Do the pro-Catholics have a faction name?

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 21, 2014

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

sniper4625 posted:

I made some stuff. Do the pro-Catholics have a faction name?

Blasphemers.

Also, really cool banners. Love 'em.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Sinner Sandwich posted:

Blasphemers.

Also, really cool banners. Love 'em.

Thanks! Graphical work is one of the things I like most about legislative LPs. Happy to work with any other would-be splitters.

Ofaloaf, yell at me on skype with a real name.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

sniper4625 posted:

Thanks! Graphical work is one of the things I like most about legislative LPs. Happy to work with any other would-be splitters.

Ofaloaf, yell at me on skype with a real name.

Love it. Definitely signing up officially to this radical, brave and above all honest faction of the senate.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Our Empress! This cannot go unavenged. Let that vile regicide - Imperaticide! - be cast out from the communion, and let his line be ended! Blind him, geld him, throw him in the oubliette to be taken to his eternal damnation when God eventually wills it. That goes double for the traitorous doux whose rebellion took the life of our greatest ruler since the prior Alexios!

The Lord has mercy. Christ has mercy. We,however, are merely men. Εμείς δεν θα ελέησον!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Rogue had a good suggestion for the the Catholics, the True Religion's Advocates In Time Of Rebellion & Strife.

Otherwise known as:

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Happy to help, my Latin colleagues.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

sniper4625 posted:

I fully expect that by the end of the LP there will be a score of parties, each with no more than four posters in it.

It will be glorious.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I fully expect that by the end of the LP there will be a score of parties, each with no more than four posters in it.

It will be glorious.

Bah! You dream too small! I say every man should have two, no, three parties to call his own!

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

It will be glorious.
For certain definitions of "glorious", yes. :suicide:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

It will be glorious.

:getin:

(Yes, some of those were jokes and duplicates, but still!)

GrabbinPeels
Jan 3, 2010

I only regret not giving up sooner.

:golfclap:

This is marvelous, I'm in this faction (I guess? Is there an official list?) and can't find any problems with it.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Well, can't say no to a work of art like this one. Sign me up!

quote:

In the middle of the sixth row there are two faction icons with the face of some sort of balding guy, except that in one he is sort of squeezed and in the other stretched. Is there a story to that, or is one of them just a work in progress or something?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Not updated post Windy's last post yet.

Old Romans: 16
Thanqol
Jazerus
mcclay
DivineCoffeeBinge
Sky Shadowing
EightDeer
StrifeHira
Flesnolk
NewMars
Ubern00b
Horsebanger
Mortuus
Grim reaper
Jihad Joe
Gnooble
TheLoquid

New Byzantines: 26
Rogue0071
Pyroi
DentedLamp
Gygaxian
Clayren
zephyr42
Caustic Soda
HenessyHero
RabidWeasel
Sleep of Bronze
ChrisAsmadi
Meinberg
TheMcD
sheep-dodger
Luhood
Aeromancia
Blackunknown
Rejected Fate
Technowolf
Frozen_flame
cokerpilot
Syce300
Ezo45
Jimmy4400nav
Mirdini
Lynneth

Milvians: 8
Sindai
JT Jag
occipitallobe
LordGugs
AJ_Impy
YF-23
SavageGentleman
WilliamAnderson

Komnenians: 8
Patter Song
Lord Windy
Muskatnuss
ZearothK
Ghetto Prince
Duckbag
Deceitful Penguin
Capfalcon

???: 5
Ofaloaf
forkis
GrabbinPeels
lenoon
Tevery Best

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 21, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Excellent work with the banners.

After the next update, there will be another Senate realignment so people can join the glorious T.R.A.I.T.O.R.S for real if they want. :v:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Tevery Best posted:

Well, can't say no to a work of art like this one. Sign me up!

In the middle of the sixth row there are two faction icons with the face of some sort of balding guy, except that in one he is sort of squeezed and in the other stretched. Is there a story to that, or is one of them just a work in progress or something?

Just me playing around with Helladid's head! That icon dump was just everything in my Crete folder, so it's everything I had.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

The Empress is dead! Long live the Emperor!

While the business of running the empire now falls to a trusted Regent, today is not a day of politics, but a day of mourning. While the death of any citizen of the Empire is a cause for grief, the Empire has lost one of its brightest stars in living memory.

While jockeying for position among your peers is acceptable, striking at your betters out of pure greed is unforgivable. These traitors must be brought to heel as quickly as possible.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Tevery Best posted:

Those were both of Helladid, one of the in-game rulers from the Crete LP.

Crete got very drunk/stupid on factionalism, very fast. (See that list of icons if you don't believe me.)

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

:helladid:

Crete was amazing.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
I didn't mean to start that much of a Crete derail!

So, how can we best bring the Empricide to justice? Been a while since I played CK2.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
drat. I was really hoping for some sort of outlandish story of "there had been a loyalist faction, but some of its folks randomly decided that presenting Helladid exactly the way he looked was blasphemy and that he must be made to look taller in official representations, so they split".

I hear the legends of Crete and it really sounds interesting (in much the same way as a disaster site, at least), but I don't have archives and from what I gather there's never been an efficient way of reading it otherwise. Still, it's kinda fun trying to figure it out this way. Like some sort of a survival horror, where all you can see is the aftermath and you have to figure out what had transpired by piecing together the tales of those left.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Joining the

best faction.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Tevery Best posted:

"there had been a loyalist faction, but some of its folks randomly decided that presenting Helladid exactly the way he looked was blasphemy and that he must be made to look taller in official representations, so they split".

They were called Populists.

edit: Joining the Antiqui Romani (Old Romans)

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 22, 2014

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Oh, you seem to have accidentally used the wrong flag. You'd best correct that. See the one right above this? That's the flag of the best faction. :colbert:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

sniper4625 posted:

I didn't mean to start that much of a Crete derail!

So, how can we best bring the Empricide to justice? Been a while since I played CK2.

Well he's a lowborn character, so the options are basically just execute, banish, blind or castrate (both of the latter auto-release him). The Byzantines have free revocation of duke-level titles, though, so for the rebel douxes we can revoke everything then execute them all.

And my "destroy the entire house of the rebel leader" thing is possible too, but takes a bit since you have to dig through the family tree, plot assassinations, etc.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

I just wanted to extend the thoughts and prayers of the Jewish community of Constantinople to the new Emperor and the honorable Regent in this time of mourning. May he live long, rule justly, and carry on the great traditions of his ancestors.

As you might have guessed I am a representative of one of the Jewish... fraternal organizations that have supported the Imperial family in times of trouble. The Komnenian Emperors and Empresses have always been very fastidious with the repayment of these debts and have proven time and time again the nobility of their honorable bloodline.

I inherited this seat from my father, an appointee of late Regent Anatolios, and hope to serve the young Emperor as loyally as my father and I did his predecessor. This dynasty has treated my family and my people with nothing but the utmost respect for generations and I know this shall only continue in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Hey hey hey, before all of this squabbling gets out of hand, we need to remember the reason this august body was created in the first place. To try and curb the power of the damned Doukas.

Seriously, gently caress those misbegotten cretins. No matter whether you want to retake Rome and restore the Empire back to its old borders, forge a new one to eclipse the glory of the old, or organize a nationwide prance through the trees it doesn't matter so long as we have these shortsighted and selfish nobles tearing at the bit to rebel every time the Empress dares cough.

More than anything it galls me that these traitors are allowed to keep their lands and power. As hateful as the so called "Bulgarians" are, at least they are honest regarding their treachery. These Doukas operate under the guise of being proper members of the Empire while they rot and rend us apart from within.

They have forgotten that they exist to serve the Empire. It would be prudent to relive those who have forgotten this fact of the burdens they are unfit to carry and give them to those more deserving.

I warned you all! While you lot were squabbling over the Pope and whether we were too obsessed/not obsessed enough with Ancient Rome I was the only one who saw the true terror that threatens this Empire!

Thankfully it only took the death of the Empress and her eldest daughter to get most of you to see the light.

We need to make sure that these traitors are immediately apprehended and rot away in prison for life No leniency. If you're in prison for treason and have the gall to ask for better accommodations than you deserve nothing less than the oubliette

• Locked thread