Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Want Budde to take a picture of Kenji's hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

What an exciting feature match..

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Seems like tapping out versus Storm is not what you want to be doing.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

XyrlocShammypants posted:

What an exciting feature match..
Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not...

Kai vs Kenji a 10 year in the making grudge match!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

Want Budde to take a picture of Kenji's hand

Kenji is one of the most well-mannered players in magic though. He did stuff like pull out reminders for his opponents' pacts when those were played. Dude just wants to play magic fairly.

Did Hunt's opponent just play 2 lands against an Azusa? Cheater on stream!

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 21, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Zoness posted:

Kenji is one of the most well-mannered players in magic though. He did stuff like pull out reminders for his opponents' pacts when those were played. Dude just wants to play magic fairly.

Did Hunt's opponent just play 2 lands against an Azusa? Cheater on stream!
They even mentioned it on stream. Commentary people missed the fact Azusa isn't symmetrical. Hunt missed it. Staff on hand missed it. Stream caught it so there's a chance word gets down to the Judges but they've done so much since then.

edit: Eeghan won that game so... uh...

edit2: Hunt 7-0. Hivemind win.

Korak fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 21, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Kenji drawing literally all the bolts

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Korak posted:

They even mentioned it on stream. Commentary people missed the fact Azusa isn't symmetrical. Hunt missed it. Staff on hand missed it. Stream caught it so there's a chance word gets down to the Judges but they've done so much since then.

edit: Eeghan won that game so... uh...

At least he won the match.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

ScarletBrother posted:

If the Conley Woods deck tech is what the whole team is on, it's pretty spicy.

They're not. Wescoe, at least, is on B/W tokens (humorously, without Bitterblossom).

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
DeTora is a known b/w tokens player, so I'd expect her to be playing that as well.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

GP Paris results stand, plus more explanation on the DQ before top 8:
http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/other/021202014b

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
7-0s right now: Matthias Hunt on Vigor Combo, Patrick Dickmann on RUG-Twin(splashing for Goyf + Grudge), and Michael Hetrick on Living End.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Korak posted:

7-0s right now: Matthias Hunt on Vigor Combo, Patrick Dickmann on RUG-Twin(splashing for Goyf + Grudge), and Michael Hetrick on Living End.

Good format. Unironically.

Goyf in Twin? Someone explain this to me. Adding White cards for UWR Twin makes sense, so does just having a stomping ground or whatever for Grudge, but Goyf?

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 21, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Goyf is in RUG Twin, splashed off the same Breeding Pool that usually pulls Ancient Grude duty.

It makes sense, Dickman's deck is as often winning through aggressive creatures. A Goyf would make a potent threat that could catch an opponent focused on the combo matchup off guard games 2-3.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

JerryLee posted:

Good format. Unironically.

Goyf in Living End? Someone explain this to me. Adding White cards for UWR Twin makes sense, so does just having a stomping ground or whatever for Grudge, but Goyf?
It's the best 2 mana beater around. Its like why is Dickmann splashing green? 90% of the reason is for Goyf. It's also a fake out for people that counter it. Oh you wasted a counter on this? I'll get it back next turn or two.

Korak fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 21, 2014

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
Haha there are no more Teferi's on TCGplayer.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Korak posted:

It's the best 2 mana beater around. Its like why is Dickmann splashing green? 90% of the reason is for Goyf.

Yeah, but I wouldn't have thought Twin (I mistyped Living End in my post) wanted a 2 mana beater. I guess I need to see the deck in action.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Bosushi! posted:

Out of stock everywhere. I snagged one this morning.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

JerryLee posted:

Yeah, but I wouldn't have thought Twin (I mistyped Living End in my post) wanted a 2 mana beater. I guess I need to see the deck in action.
The dirty secret about why Twin (and Pod) are so good is that at the drop of a hat, they can just turn into midrange aggro decks that are generally unfun to interact with, because they can still just go off out of nowhere.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Zoness posted:

Didn't he also put an opponent's Obzedat on top of his deck so he wouldn't forget the trigger? Kenji is basically the best. \:3:/

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
^^Truth. I have won more games with Melira-Pod by beating down than I have with the combo.

TicalStal
Apr 23, 2004
I promised America to the Fuhrer!

Bosushi! posted:

I played some modern matches on mtgo last night and faced a guy siding it in against my twin deck that ruined me, so I thought of it as a cool tech. Then after seeing the blue moon match, I knew I had to get 1 or 2 asap or it'll spike.

Plus it was one of my casual favs from back when I played magic in my earlier years

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
I have a single Teferi sitting in an old binder, lets hope this spikes enough to buy me some standard staples!

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

JerryLee posted:

Dickmann plays tempo Twin. The combo's mostly in there for value and winstealing; we win by attacking with Snapcaster, Clique or Pestermite, or finishing them with Bolts, just as often as or more often than by comboing. Dickmann actually boarded out quite a bit of the combo in most of his matches at GP Antwerp.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
I only recently started playing Twin and can attest to the deck's robustness. Clique, Snapcaster and a grip of burn and/or counters can put in a lot of work, while the opponent has to carefully dance around your combo. If they slip for a second then they'll suddenly lose to the combo.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Hetrick 8-0 with Living End.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Seems like people are not packing GY hate.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Man, that Amulet deck is just the best.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Bosushi! posted:

I only recently started playing Twin and can attest to the deck's robustness. Clique, Snapcaster and a grip of burn and/or counters can put in a lot of work, while the opponent has to carefully dance around your combo. If they slip for a second then they'll suddenly lose to the combo.

Yeah, playing an aggressive deck that can win instantly with only two cards puts lots of pressure on an opponent. After seeing Dickman's success I switched my Twin list around to mimic his and instantly found a lot more success, especially against control decks, even when they know you're on twin, the early threats eat up answers and force your opponent to be proactive instead of wait for the combo and stop it.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Cinara posted:

This is true except I believe that Zur retains the qualifier that if he ever leaves the battlefield again he will be exiled instead. As he "didn't exist" during the time where it should have triggered and thus still has that second part of the ability on him. That's how it works with Unearth at least.
Phasing out doesn't cause something to leave the battlefield because phasing is weird as gently caress, so it works.
E: Oh god I wasn't paying attention at all. I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
So can we expect Bitterblossom and the other faeries cards to tank in value?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Sampatrick posted:

I think Vendillion Clique will stick where it's at since it's played in a lot of tier 1 decks, but the rest should come down.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I was joking with a friend that after all the 'brewing' articles Woo was going to end up just playing Living End again. Looks like he should have

fake edit: I actually have no idea what's he's playing anyway

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

toadee posted:

I was joking with a friend that after all the 'brewing' articles Woo was going to end up just playing Living End again. Looks like he should have

fake edit: I actually have no idea what's he's playing anyway

Is he at the pro tour?

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Hunt punted on the last match of the day, played Summoner's Pact & Pact of Negation and ended the turn with only 8 mana in play.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Promoted Pawn posted:

Hunt punted on the last match of the day, played Summoner's Pact & Pact of Negation and ended the turn with only 8 mana in play.

He actually had 9 mana, but one of those mana's was a depleted gemstone mine.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

A big flaming stink posted:

He actually had 9 mana, but one of those mana's was a depleted gemstone mine.

A depleted Mine sacrifices itself.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Promoted Pawn posted:

A depleted Mine sacrifices itself.

whatever the point was that he forget that he can't use the gemstone after its empty.

And Blue Moon won :getin:

vvv just pointing out that he would have had 9 if not for the gemstone sac, which is probably an easier misplay to make than simply miscounting your number of lands

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 21, 2014

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

A big flaming stink posted:

whatever the point was that he forget that he can't use the gemstone after its empty.

And Blue Moon won :getin:

Then why did you argue? Everything I said was right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Wasn't a punt by Hunt for reasons already described. What I'm curious is if he would have waited on the pact of negation? What was he playing around with not paying the mana leak?

Sampatrick posted:

No because people hate losing money.

• Locked thread